Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hawk to start at SOLB Friday night
Fine with that, Hawk has been having a pretty decent camp. They've been moving linebackers around. Think this should help decide the starting linebackers.

I just don't think Lamur is a starter by year's end.
Reply/Quote
I don't know too much about Hawk, don't follow many players from other teams. But from what I have seen (youtube highlights, past GB games) makes me feel like this Hawk signing could prove to be very beneficial for us. I also feel as though he will bring more to the table than Lamur, with a similar "comeback" story as Terrence Newman. I'll be rooting for him! Tiger
[Image: tFtivUoURYLbG.gif]
"From the great spirit was born the wolf, and man became it's messenger."
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 02:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: Hawk was and is a 4-3 LB and when he played in that system did well. Green Bay went 3-4 and he was not suited for that alignment. So here he is in a 4-3 again - let's see what happens. Remember, over the past few years we've made killings signing players orphaned by (usually ill advised) switches to 3-4.

Exactly what I have been saying. Hawk was the MLB at Ohio State. He never got a chance to play in a 4-3 defense in the pros
Reply/Quote
If nothing else, maybe Lamur picks up some of Hawks style and drive.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 05:17 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Exactly what I have been saying.  Hawk was the MLB at Ohio State.  He never got a chance to play in a 4-3 defense in the pros

Hawk was not the MLB at OSU. 

Most of his time there, it was manned by Anthony Schlegel, who spent some time with the Bengals at LB.  
Reply/Quote
Have no idea what he'll give us on the field. Hoping for the best. I feel wanting a guy on the team who had won a SB was a big factor in his signing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Hawk and Rey can conceivably play both Will and Sam, so it'll be good to experiment to see who plays what best.

Hawk was lining up at 1st team Will today in base.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 01:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's not a better athlete than Lamur at this point in his career. 
He might be better at coverage, but he isn't a better athlete. 
Hawk weighed 248 at the combine and Lamur weighed 232. Hawk still smoked him in every pre-draft measurable.

E-Man now weighs 245, while Hawk weighs around 235. Hawk is 31 and E-Man is 26. I would not bet on Lamur being a better athlete simply because he is 5 years younger.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 06:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hawk weighed 248 at the combine and Lamur weighed 232. Hawk still smoked him in every pre-draft measurable.

E-Man now weighs 245, while Hawk weighs around 235. Hawk is 31 and E-Man is 26. I would not bet on Lamur being a better athlete simply because he is 5 years younger.

....combine stats from 10 years ago for Hawk. okay. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 06:47 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Hawk and Rey can conceivably play both Will and Sam, so it'll be good to experiment to see who plays what best.

Hawk was lining up at 1st team Will today in base.

I think Hawk's best position is at Will. Thing is V-Rey is pretty good there himself.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 06:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: ....combine stats from 10 years ago for Hawk. okay. 

What do you have to suggest a E-Man that has put on 13 pounds is more athletic than a Hawk who has dropped 13?

It's not like Hawk has sat around and gotten out of shape over the last 10 years. Hell, he could now be faster with the weight loss.

AJ Hawk is an elite athlete; I have never uderstood why folks do not realize this.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 07:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What do you have to suggest a E-Man that has put on 13 pounds is more athletic than a Hawk who has dropped 13?

It's not like Hawk has sat around and gotten out of shape over the last 10 years. Hell, he could now be faster with the weight loss.

AJ Hawk is an elite athlete; I have never uderstood why folks do not realize this.

No one said he wasn't. EMan is a good athlete as well.

You get way hyperdefensive of some players.

Hawk has played a LOT of football. It takes a toll on the body. He's had to lose weight. Eman has stayed athletic while adding weight. 
Reply/Quote
I think that Hawk's just a winner....... he knows what it takes to win and he gets it done.

I think he'll succeed in a 4-3 here and be an important piece to a hell of a defense (especially when Burfict comes back).

Instincts and football knowledge can make a vet look a lot better than a younger guy because abilities and skills don't mean anything if you don't know what to do with them.

Hawk has the "it" factor.
Reply/Quote
"Elite athlete" gets thrown around here far too often.

For some reason, it's rarely regarding good football players.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 07:04 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No one said he wasn't. EMan is a good athlete as well.

You get way hyperdefensive of some players.

Hawk has played a LOT of football. It takes a toll on the body. He's had to lose weight. Eman has stayed athletic while adding weight. 

E-Man has never been that athletic. He ran a 4.63, broad jumped just over 9 feet, and had a vert of 34". He did all of this 13 pounds lighter. Has nothing to be with being "hyperdefensive".

Now Marquis Flowers may be more athletic than AJ now.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 07:10 PM)djs7685 Wrote: "Elite athlete" gets thrown around here far too often.

For some reason, it's rarely regarding good football players.

And if they're white, they are never appreciated for being as "elite" as they are. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Camp-report-two-way-effort-/2f190007-1111-4db5-a301-1644a0282f9c

BACKERS: Here’s how they’ll start Friday. Middle linebacker Rey Maualuga, WILL Vincent Rey and SAM A.J. Hawk. Emanuel Lamur, last year’s SAM, is playing the nickel.

I have been doubting Hawk, but I would be happy if he ends up being an upgrade for our LB corps.

Interesting. I think Hawk will be fine.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 01:51 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's not a better athlete than Lamur at this point in his career. 
He might be better at coverage, but he isn't a better athlete. 

I have no issues with Lemur's cover ability. It is the rest of his LB duties he struggles and hurts our defense.

Lemur needs to get stronger, react quicker and learn to shield blockers. But, he can cover in my humble opinion. Hawk is definitely the better LB of the two right now so Lemur needs to up his game.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 11:11 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have no issues with Lemur's cover ability. It is the rest of his LB duties he struggles and hurts of defense.

Lemur needs to get stronger, react quicker and learn to shield blockers. But, he can cover in my humble opinion. Hawk is definitely the better LB of the two right now so Lemur needs to up his game.

[Image: lemur_2647603k.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hawk got his ankle cleaned out, and is finishing his career at home. I expect he will do wonderful things here. He's smart, experienced, and can play all 3 LB spots. It was a great signing.... would love to see Burfict back this year, but I do not expect it. Even if he's back on the field he will likely need a season to trust the knee..ala Geno Atkins. Hawk will get us over that hump.
Reply/Quote