Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Headline on ESPN Coaching decisions doom Bengals
But according to all you fans on this message board. It was all Burrow Zac deserves no blame.
Reply/Quote
Yeah...so this loss was nuanced.

Despite all the mistakes and turnovers they still could have won. There were a lot of factors.
Reply/Quote
Burrow got us behind, but also led us back. Taylor shit the bed.

Plenty of blame to go around, but Taylor needs to be better in situational football.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:23 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: But according to all you fans on this message board. It was all Burrow Zac deserves no blame.

It was 85% on Burrow, as it would not have been close without the turnovers. Burrow knows this better than anyone I guarantee you, he knows this is his fault. 

10% Taylors fault for not challenging the Chase TD earlier, and letting the punt go off so early, the game should have ended in a tie at worst.

5% was Harris getting hurt and thus ruining our kicking game. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:23 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: But according to all you fans on this message board. It was all Burrow Zac deserves no blame.

What? Who are all these fans you speak of?  I've seen plenty of blame on Zac and there even two threads questioning him right at the top of the page.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:02 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: What? Who are all these fans you speak of?  I've seen plenty of blame on Zac and there even two threads questioning him right at the top of the page.  

All the other "other fans".
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:02 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: What? Who are all these fans you speak of?  I've seen plenty of blame on Zac and there even two threads questioning him right at the top of the page.  

Here are a couple.  I can find more if you want.

(09-11-2022, 10:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I just cannot grasp the concept it's because we snapped a ball too early on a punt. 

(09-11-2022, 11:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's not an argument. The correct answer is five turnovers.....and a critical strip sack we didn't lose that put us out of FG range toward the end of OT somewhat.

This fifteen seconds bullshit is a moot point because we shouldn't even have been in OT. 

Apparently once a team goes into overtime the coach's decisions no longer matter, but I have a funny feeling that if we had pulled out the victory they would be giving a lot of credit to Zac Taylor because the team "never quit".Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
Funny how we almost never beat the Stealers for a decade or more, and now our coach sucks cause we didn't beat them 4 times in a row. (when we clearly would have beaten them despite a horrible day for Burrow had our long snapper not gotten hurt.)
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:00 AM)Garrus Wrote: It was 85% on Burrow, as it would not have been close without the turnovers. Burrow knows this better than anyone I guarantee you, he knows this is his fault. 

10% Taylors fault for not challenging the Chase TD earlier, and letting the punt go off so early, the game should have ended in a tie at worst.

5% was Harris getting hurt and thus ruining our kicking game. 

This. Right. Here. It's funny we usually blast ESPN coverage.....until it fits a narrative that is  Tongue

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

I can't find the headline that you are referencing on ESPN.com. Do you means a show on ESPN?  If ESPN.com, could you provide a link. All I could find was an article, and this was their summary:

"Cincinnati's offense picked up right where it left off last season. And that was the main culprit in an overtime loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the season opener. It featured a slew of sacks and an inconsistent offense. Those things kept the Bengals from winning Super Bowl LVI despite a very strong defensive effort, which the Bengals got again on Sunday. Cincinnati needs to get that issue resolved if it wants to defend its AFC championship."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34537159/nfl-week-1-takeaways-learned-big-questions-every-game-future-team-outlooks#pitcin
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Funny how we almost never beat the Stealers for a decade or more, and now our coach sucks cause we didn't beat them 4 times in a row. (when we clearly would have beaten them despite a horrible day for Burrow had our long snapper not gotten hurt.)

The loss itself isn't troubling. The decisions Zac made to cause the loss is. We have multiple examples in 3+ years of him doing this. His 4th down decisions and clock management is holding the team back, A good coach can cover for a sub par game from Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here are a couple.  I can find more if you want.

Apparently once a team goes into overtime the coach's decisions no longer matter, but I have a funny feeling that if we had pulled out the victory they would be giving a lot of credit to Zac Taylor because the team "never quit".Rolleyes

Post the rest Freddie..... without a pick six, are we even in OT? That is the question. Also, it was apparently Simmons' call to not let the clock run down. I actually understand the decision, based on what they'd seen from Wilcox. 

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here are a couple.  I can find more if you want.

The OP said "all of you fans" as in everyone.  Not a few people here or several people here but all fans.   That's what I was addressing.  Rolleyes

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Funny how we almost never beat the Stealers for a decade or more, and now our coach sucks cause we didn't beat them 4 times in a row. (when we clearly would have beaten them despite a horrible day for Burrow had our long snapper not gotten hurt.)

Funny how Zac gets all the credit for wins, but no blame for losses.

He made a horrible decision that helped lead directly to our defeat.  The fact that we beat the Steelers last year has nothing to do with it.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:24 AM)Nepa Wrote: I can't find the headline that you are referencing on ESPN.com. Do you means a show on ESPN?  If ESPN.com, could you provide a link. All I could find was an article, and this was their summary:

Cincinnati's offense picked up right where it left off last season. And that was the main culprit in an overtime loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the season opener. It featured a slew of sacks and an inconsistent offense. Those things kept the Bengals from winning Super Bowl LVI despite a very strong defensive effort, which the Bengals got again on Sunday. Cincinnati needs to get that issue resolved if it wants to defend its AFC championship.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34537159/nfl-week-1-takeaways-learned-big-questions-every-game-future-team-outlooks#pitcin

It was 1 of the 3 lead stories on ESPN get up
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:24 AM)Wyche Wrote: This. Right. Here. It's funny we usually blast ESPN coverage.....until it fits a narrative that is  Tongue

Because some random guy used complete arbitrary percentages it discouns what ESPN said? Lol 

Anyone who thinks Taylor isn't to blame with multiple bad gaffs during the game is an idiot. Anyone who thinks Taylor is 100% of the blame is an idiot. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:26 AM)Wyche Wrote: Post the rest Freddie..... without a pick six, are we even in OT? That is the question.

This is the most absurd argument i have ever heard.  In order to defend Taylor you are actually saying that a tie is no different from a loss.  This is really getting silly.

And why was Zac even on the sidelines during overtime if nothing he did made any difference?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:28 AM)TheFan Wrote: Anyone who thinks Taylor isn't to blame with multiple bad gaffs during the game is an idiot.

Anyone who thinks Taylor is 100% of the blame is an idiot. 

End of discussion.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:28 AM)TheFan Wrote: Because some random guy used complete arbitrary percentages it discouns what ESPN said? Lol 

Anyone who thinks Taylor isn't to blame with multiple bad gaffs during the game is an idiot. Anyone who thinks Taylor is 100% of the blame is an idiot. 

Nah, I'm just going off post history around here. ESPN has been criticized ad nauseam for years around here.....but now it's gospel?  Smirk

Bingo! He should've challenged the TD. He and McVay apparently made the wrong choice playing starters in the preseason. The punt deal is questionable, but Wilcox was struggling. I read where Simmons sent him out to snap when he felt comfortable. Huber should've ate that first FG attempt. Sample missed a block on the blocked kick it appears. All of that said, there's still that elephant. As in there is some blame to spread around, but there's also somewhere the lion's share needs to go. I see no threads dedicated to that. That's the only point I'm trying to make.  Tiger

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is the most absurd argument i have ever heard.  In order to defend Taylor you are actually saying that a tie is no different from a loss.  This is really getting silly.

And why was Zac even on the sidelines during overtime if nothing he did made any difference?

Uh, I'm not defending Taylor, look around in other threads. I'm just pointing out the people defending Burrow by blaming Zac are the silly ones. Get it?

Again, we lost by three. Are we in OT without the pick six? They scored 17 points of 23 off turnovers. Are we even in a close game without all of that? Zac wouldn't have had a chance to **** up if we don't turn it over five times and get none ourselves. Yet here we are......

Reply/Quote