Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Higgins signs new deal?
(04-26-2023, 11:44 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hate to say it because he absolutely has the potential to be the best in the league, but while 2021 Ja'Marr Chase is certainly in that first list 2022 Ja'Marr Chase is in that second list. You can't be on that first list if teams can easily neuter your ability to take over games. Need Chase to adapt and overcome in 2023 (and to clean up the drops).

You can't sit here and tell me that the types of plays he made against the Chiefs the previous year (made like 10 guys miss and housed a 60 yard TD) and the Saints (beat guy to the sideline and turned a routne out route into a TD) dont qualify Chase as a teir 1 reciever. 

Chase is top 2 when it comes to best reciever in the league. Dude is just different. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 11:49 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: True, but how many sub 50 yard games did Justin Jefferson have last year?

6.  With some real clunkers - 38, 15, 45, 33, 14 and 48.

And in the other 11 games he averaged 147 yards per game. With Kirk Cousins, not Joe Burrow.

(04-26-2023, 12:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I feel like Chase and/or the playcalling did adapt after the first BAL game.
After that game, Chase had 703 yards, which was 100.43 YPG.
If he maintained that average through the entire season, he would have been right there with Jefferson and Hill.

Heck, even if he would have had his full-year YPG (87.2) but been able to play the whole season, he would have had nearly 1500 yards, which would have still put him Top 5.

After the first Baltimore game we got to play the NFCS, which helps. Lol.. but I am not talking about accumulation, I talking about taking over a game or showing just pure dominance. In 2021 I always had the belief that Chase could take it to the house at any given time or just say "I am going to be uncoverable, let me put this offense on my back". 

Again, I said second list, so I am not calling him a bum or anything because the second list is still discussing top-10 WRs so still very very very good at football. I am just saying he didn't have the same potentially-best-WR-in-the-NFL level dominance that was so clearly there in his rookie year.

Burrow's QB Rating targeting Chase
2021: 116.5 (8.2 higher than Burrow's season rating)
2022: 98.7 (2.1 lower than Burrow's season rating)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 01:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And in the other 11 games he averaged 147 yards per game. With Kirk Cousins, not Joe Burrow.

After the first Baltimore game we got to play the NFCS, which helps. Lol.. but I am not talking about accumulation, I talking about taking over a game or showing just pure dominance. In 2021 I always had the belief that Chase could take it to the house at any given time or just say "I am going to be uncoverable, let me put this offense on my back". 

Again, I said second list, so I am not calling him a bum or anything because the second list is still discussing top-10 WRs so still very very very good at football. I am just saying he didn't have the same potentially-best-WR-in-the-NFL level dominance that was so clearly there in his rookie year.

Burrow's QB Rating targeting Chase
2021: 116.5 (8.2 higher than Burrow's season rating)
2022: 98.7 (2.1 lower than Burrow's season rating)

I'm not overly concerned if Chase doesn't take over a game every single week.
There are plenty of instances where these other guys don't.

Look at Justin Jefferson for example.
He had 6 games with under 50 yards receiving last year, 7 if you include the playoff game.
Are people not going to consider him among the best WRs because he had 7 games out of 18 under 50 yards receiving?

Maybe I'm in the minority for how I look at production or who I consider among the "best," but it's always been about the course of the season for me, not individual games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 01:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not overly concerned if Chase doesn't take over a game every single week.
There are plenty of instances where these other guys don't.

Look at Justin Jefferson for example.
He had 6 games with under 50 yards receiving last year, 7 if you include the playoff game.
Are people not going to consider him among the best WRs because he had 7 games out of 18 under 50 yards receiving?

Maybe I'm in the minority for how I look at production or who I consider among the "best," but it's always been about the course of the season for me, not individual games.

Not take over every single week, but in 2022 it was barely at all for Chase.

As I said and you replied to. In the other 11 games Jefferson averaged 147 yards per game, the next lowest is 98. 10 of them 100+, 8 of them 120+. Jefferson's 11th best game in 2022 was better than Chase's 5th best in 2022.

Interesting to note that 5 of those 7 games you mentioned were non-1pm games, when Kirk Cousins is incapable of playing football (19-37), Kirk Cousins is not Joe Burrow. Cousins is the Marvin Lewis of QBs. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 01:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not take over every single week, but in 2022 it was barely at all for Chase.

As I said and you replied to. In the other 11 games Jefferson averaged 147 yards per game, the next lowest is 98. 10 of them 100+, 8 of them 120+. Jefferson's 11th best game in 2022 was better than Chase's 5th best in 2022.

Interesting to note that 5 of those 7 games you mentioned were non-1pm games, when Kirk Cousins is incapable of playing football (19-37), Kirk Cousins is not Joe Burrow. Cousins is the Marvin Lewis of QBs. Lol

What's your definition of "taking over" a game?
Is it 100+ yards?
Is it enough yards to get a win?

Because for as many games as Justin Jefferson had 100+, he had quite a lot under 50.
But players are going to have some down games, especially when there are other good receiving options to throw to.
Tyreek Hill also had some down games.

Maybe I care more about not having down games than I do having monster games, but I like consistency over moments of dominance mixed with moments of invisibility.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Tee is in the building today for workouts.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 02:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tee is in the building today for workouts.

If I were Jonah, I'd also get in the building.  A serious injury working out away from the team can lead to nonpayment, and with his luck....

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 02:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tee is in the building today for workouts.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 03:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If I were Jonah, I'd also get in the building.  A serious injury working out away from the team can lead to nonpayment, and with his luck....

The 5th yr option is fully guaranteed upon being exercized.  If Jonah gets hurt anytime anywhere he is still gonna get his money.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 03:31 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: The 5th yr option is fully guaranteed upon being exercized.  If Jonah gets hurt anytime anywhere he is still gonna get his money.

I don’t believe it is guaranteed for non-football related injuries.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 03:55 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don’t believe it is guaranteed for non-football related injuries.

Its fully guaranteed upon exercizing.  The only way bengals can get out of paying is by trade.  The money is fully guaranteed to be paid to jonah no matter what.

The interesting part will be if jonah is willing to sit out mandatorys and or training camp where he must be fined and the team can not refund. I dont expect jonah to go that far but well see
Reply/Quote
CTB really came in and fit right in with the culture.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 03:31 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: The 5th yr option is fully guaranteed upon being exercized.  If Jonah gets hurt anytime anywhere he is still gonna get his money.

(04-26-2023, 04:03 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Its fully guaranteed upon exercizing.  The only way bengals can get out of paying is by trade.  The money is fully guaranteed to be paid to jonah no matter what.

The interesting part will be if jonah is willing to sit out mandatorys and or training camp where he must be fined and the team can not refund.  I dont expect jonah to go that far but well see

I and the NFL disagree. 

“Injuries sustained while a player is working out ‘on his own’ in a location other than an NFL facility are considered ‘Non-Football Injuries’ and are outside the scope of a typical skill, injury and cap guarantee,” the memo also said. “Such injuries are also not covered by the protections found in paragraph 9 of the NFL Player Contract, meaning that clubs have no contractual obligation to provide salary continuation during the year in which the injury was sustained.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/05/nfl-reiterates-that-injuries-away-from-team-facilities-expose-players-to-losing-their-salaries/

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 04:03 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Its fully guaranteed upon exercizing.  The only way bengals can get out of paying is by trade.  The money is fully guaranteed to be paid to jonah no matter what.

The interesting part will be if jonah is willing to sit out mandatorys and or training camp where he must be fined and the team can not refund.  I dont expect jonah to go that far but well see

NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf (windows.net)

"Section 3. Nonfootball Injury: 

(a) A player who is placed on a Nonfootball Injury or Illness list (“N-F/I”) will not be entitled to any compensation under his contract while on such list but, except as provided below, his contract will continue to run while in such status. 

(b) A player on N-F/I who is in the final year of his contract (including an option year) will have his contract tolled. However, if the player is physically able to perform his football services on or before the sixth regular season game, the Club must pay the player his negotiated Paragraph 5 Salary (pro rata) for the balance of the season in order to toll such player’s contract. If such player is taken off N-F/I during the period when such action is allowed by League rules, his contract will not be tolled."

This means his option is not guaranteed for a nonfootball injury. If he is hurt working out on his own, as was suggested, that is a nonfootball injury and his option year isn't guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 05:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I and the NFL disagree. 

“Injuries sustained while a player is working out ‘on his own’ in a location other than an NFL facility are considered ‘Non-Football Injuries’ and are outside the scope of a typical skill, injury and cap guarantee,” the memo also said. “Such injuries are also not covered by the protections found in paragraph 9 of the NFL Player Contract, meaning that clubs have no contractual obligation to provide salary continuation during the year in which the injury was sustained.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/05/nfl-reiterates-that-injuries-away-from-team-facilities-expose-players-to-losing-their-salaries/

Yes it looks like you guys are correct.  I thought the 5th yr option being fully guaranteed was an exception that was added in latest cba.  I thought it being fully guaranteed rather than the standard contracts that are not guaranteed for injury at all protected players from the non football injuries where salaries were not guaranteed. No nfl contract is truly fully guaranteed if player gets hurt outside nfl facility.

Thanks to the other poster that posted up that cba.  I obvi needed to brush up on it.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 06:27 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Yes it looks like you guys are correct.  I thought the 5th yr option being fully guaranteed was an exception that was added in latest cba.  I thought it being fully guaranteed rather than the standard contracts that are not guaranteed for injury at all protected players from the non football injuries where salaries were not guaranteed. No nfl contract is truly fully guaranteed if player gets hurt outside nfl facility.

Thanks to the other poster that posted up that cba.  I obvi needed to brush up on it.  

It's like most things with the NFL, full context is never provided.  "5th Year options are fully guaranteed and we are not going to tell you the one exception."

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 12:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: Zim whodey kind of wrecked his reputation. Maybe it doesn't matter to him. Maybe the extra exposure was worth a lot of extra clicks and name recognition. But his silence on admitting he made a mistake, or explaining his erroneous reporting, after so many in the media ran with his initial report, doesn't speak well for him.

Agree, the silence just increases the lack of credibility in the future 
Reply/Quote
Tee plans to be a Bengal through 2024.….. Did he forget the new contract was a secret! This thread’ll say so lol

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/5/3/23709140/tee-higgins-recruits-isaiah-simmons-bengals-news-cardinals

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 08:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: Tee plans to be a Bengal through 2024.….. Did he forget the new contract was a secret! This thread’ll say so lol

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/5/3/23709140/tee-higgins-recruits-isaiah-simmons-bengals-news-cardinals

Either Tee and perhaps Burrow & Chase really do plan to sign extensions for under market value, or he's really bad at math.
Reply/Quote
Apparently Tees agent has been seen around the facility since involuntary workouts. Interesting.
Reply/Quote