Poll: Who do you want The Bengals to take at #33?
Laviska Shenault-WR Col
Austin Jackson--OT---USC
Justin Jefferson--WR--LSU
Zach Baun--LB--Wisconsin
Patrick Queen--LB--LSU
Curtis Weaver--LB--BSU
Kenneth Murray--LB--OKL
Isaiah Wilson--RT--Georgia
Denzel Mims--WR--Baylor
Cesar Ruiz--C/G--Michigan
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoard's Interview has 10 Prospects at #33....
(04-07-2020, 07:43 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I've seen some guys rank Baun higher than Queen and vice versa.  

Just hope we get one of them

Baun's tape is better/more consistent than Queen's.
Queen is faster.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 05:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Baun's tape is better/more consistent than Queen's.
Queen is faster.

Aren't they different players OC? 
Baun is more of an off the edge player. Queen is more side line to side line, can cover TE's as well. 
Take Baun if you want the help at rushing the passer more. Take Queen if you want tackles and coverage. 
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 04:22 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Aren't they different players OC? 
Baun is more of an off the edge player. Queen is more side line to side line, can cover TE's as well. 
Take Baun if you want the help at rushing the passer more. Take Queen if you want tackles and coverage. 

They are different, but not completely. Think of Baun like a poor man's Von Miller.
Queen is more like Devin White.
Baun provides a little more versatility than Queen does.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:14 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Tongue Tongue Tongue

We're on the same side and want the same thing, this team to succeed.

I don't care who is playing for them (well with a few exceptions, I'd never cheer for piggy) and in the end when the draft is done, and they've taken Burrow I'll be cheering for the kid to do well. 

You and I have the same end goal, just two different visions of how to get to that goal, and there is nothing wrong with that, at all.

Rock On

Great post, it is what makes this Message Board so great. Rock On

Would suck if everyone agreed on everything.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post, it is what makes this Message Board so great. Rock On

Would suck if everyone agreed on everything.

We could all just sit around, hold hands and praise the great ownership.... yup, that will never happen lol.  Hilarious

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Lapham said that the scouts he's talked to are saying Baun is more of a Late 2nd or early 3rd round pick. So, that's the guy who's in 2nd place so far. I wonder now where he'll go in the draft?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 04:35 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: We could all just sit around, hold hands and praise the great ownership.... yup, that will never happen lol.  Hilarious

That is for sure. Smirk 

(04-13-2020, 06:47 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Lapham said that the scouts he's talked to are saying Baun is more of a Late 2nd or early 3rd round pick. So, that's the guy who's in 2nd place so far. I wonder now where he'll go in the draft?

Would be pretty cool if Baun fell we traded back and still got him.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 06:47 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Lapham said that the scouts he's talked to are saying Baun is more of a Late 2nd or early 3rd round pick. So, that's the guy who's in 2nd place so far. I wonder now where he'll go in the draft?

This is going to be a rough year for Lap. Hoard and him usually get to see the draft board and have an idea where the team is going. Obviously, they'd have to look at a top 33 board and make a guess off that, but I doubt they have any idea what the Bengals are thinking. Also, if someone actually has a late 2nd/early 3rd grade on Baun, then the Seahawks probably have him as a top 15 player.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 09:34 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: This is going to be a rough year for Lap. Hoard and him usually get to see the draft board and have an idea where the team is going. Obviously, they'd have to look at a top 33 board and make a guess off that, but I doubt they have any idea what the Bengals are thinking. Also, if someone actually has a late 2nd/early 3rd grade on Baun, then the Seahawks probably have him as a top 15 player.

Taylor isn't giving many hints that is for sure unlike the ML days.

The only hint I have seen is the obvious they are taking winners starting with the Heisman trophy winner.
Reply/Quote

well he sure thinks Bengals like him in 2nd round pick.. Here is a quote i found after senior bowl

Lapham goes on to say Zack Baun is a guy the team is viewing favorably

I have not seen any mock or scout post that has Baun going in 3rd.. actually more are saying late 1st the past couple weeks which I hope not.. i want him at 33 for Bengals...
Reply/Quote
I suggest we revisit this after round 1 is complete. Great chance 3 or 4 are gone when we pick at 33. We will have all day to discuss it.

I am not a fan of picking a guy not available.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:55 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well he sure thinks Bengals like him in 2nd round pick.. Here is a quote i found after senior bowl

Lapham goes on to say Zack Baun is a guy the team is viewing favorably

I have not seen any mock or scout post that has Baun going in 3rd.. actually more are saying late 1st the past couple weeks which I hope not.. i want him at 33 for Bengals...

Lapham didn't mention mock drafts. He mentioned his league sources. I'm assuming his talent scout buddies around the league or maybe someone inside the Bengals? 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 07:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I suggest we revisit this after round 1 is complete. Great chance 3 or 4 are gone when we pick at 33. We will have all day to discuss it.

I am not a fan of picking a guy not available.

Yes sir, I can't wait and agree with you on that one. But, at the time, Hoard did his podcast and interviewed insiders for those 10 players. So, I thought I'd bring them up. 
I agree that several won't even be available. 

So far though, I'm pretty shocked that no one would want one of the top tiered OT's in Austin Jackson. He is one of them that is "supposed" to be drafted in the 1st. But if there, he hasn't received 1 vote in 51 so far??!! Pretty amazing with all the OL concerns most people have on here. Ruiz isn't the answer IMO either as I've already voiced. 
Reply/Quote
I went with Mims, just barely edging out Queen. I think there is talent at LB that can be had on Day 3 (William Gay, Evan Weaver, Logan Wilson) that are not a significant drop off in a position that is not as critical as WR.

Mims can do everything, and do it very well. He dominated the Senior Bowl, tested off the charts, and could be the long-term solution of replacing Green or Ross, both of who were taken early in the first round. You simply don't usually get talent like that in Rd 2.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 11:35 PM)McC Wrote: A lot of people see him going in the first.  For some reason, I get several mocks a day sent to my phone.  My informal survey of the many I've seen says that the overriding thought seems to be he'll go in the first. 

A WR making the jump from college to pro comes down to four things--

Is he tough?   Can he get open?  Can he catch?  Will he work his ass off?

There's a fifth question but it's the same one for all players and that is can he stay on the field?

I don't know how hard Jefferson works, so I won't even attempt that one.

From what I saw in maybe five of his games last year, he took big hits and got up, he got open and he caught the hell out of the ball.

Don't know anything about off the field, but on the field,  he sure looks like the real deal.

I'm just wondering what you don't like about him.  The only possible issue I see is that he's been a slot receiver.

There it is.  He could probably play outside, but if I am an NFL team drafting a WR that high, I am putting him where he is best suited and that is in the slot.  He looks to be a VERY capable WR and could eclipse what Tyler Boyd has done here...and we all like Boyd.  Kind of interesting because as I remember it, some folks had Boyd as a first rounder (he broke Larry Fitzgerald's records at Pitt) but he was in Rd 2 as it was a pretty deel WR class.  Should be interesting for Jefferson.

That being said, for the Bengals, I want a guy that can play outside...and for that, I really like Mims.  If Mims is gone, I hope they can trade back and get Claypool.  
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2020, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: My pick was Ruiz as he would solidify the RG spot immediately, best interior Lineman in the class.

I just doubt he will be there, second pick would be Baun as a 3-4 OLB for us.

I am not trying to beat you guys up that are touting Ruiz as the answer at RG, but have you watched his film?  Does he get moved backwards?  Against players in the Big 10?  The answer is yes.  He struggles against power rushers, and sometimes "loses ground".  He isn't as wide a body as is ideal at RG.  And we want to use pick #33 on him?  Did we learn nothing from Billy Price?

Damien Lewis NEVER moved backwards.  The National Championship game.  The Senior Bowl.  In the SEC, going against future NFL DTs...he was a beast.  He doesn't have the greatest mobility to pull, but he CAN do it...it just isn't his strength.  

I heard for months the raving about an OT having outstanding athleticism and quick feet, but he was dominated in the NFL (Ogbuehi).  

Lewis is the mauler at RG we need, and he has done it against the best in the college game.  Oh, and he would likely be available when we pick in Rd 4.  
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 07:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Count me as staunchly in the, Zack Baun at #33 crowd.

How do you view Josh Uche compared to Baun?  I think he is every bit as capable as a pass rusher, but has more size and strength to hold up at SAM.  

Baun's "diluted sample" may not be as big a deal as everyone immediately assumed it was to reduce the chance of finding marijuana in his system.  However, his excuse was that he was drinking a ton of water to influence his weight in a positive direction as one of the knocks on him is that he can't put weight on.  I was surprised to hear him say that and think that might have actually hurt him more than the fear of pot....
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 10:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: How do you view Josh Uche compared to Baun?  I think he is every bit as capable as a pass rusher, but has more size and strength to hold up at SAM.  

Baun's "diluted sample" may not be as big a deal as everyone immediately assumed it was to reduce the chance of finding marijuana in his system.  However, his excuse was that he was drinking a ton of water to influence his weight in a positive direction as one of the knocks on him is that he can't put weight on.  I was surprised to hear him say that and think that might have actually hurt him more than the fear of pot....

I don't know completely how I feel about Uche.  It would have been nice to have him run and participate in timed drills.  Unless a guy is recovering from injury/surgery, avoiding timed events is kind of a red flag to me as much as someone of his size and build posting a 4.9 40 would be.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 10:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am not trying to beat you guys up that are touting Ruiz as the answer at RG, but have you watched his film?  Does he get moved backwards?  Against players in the Big 10?  The answer is yes.  He struggles against power rushers, and sometimes "loses ground".  He isn't as wide a body as is ideal at RG.  And we want to use pick #33 on him?  Did we learn nothing from Billy Price?

Damien Lewis NEVER moved backwards.  The National Championship game.  The Senior Bowl.  In the SEC, going against future NFL DTs...he was a beast.  He doesn't have the greatest mobility to pull, but he CAN do it...it just isn't his strength.  

I heard for months the raving about an OT having outstanding athleticism and quick feet, but he was dominated in the NFL (Ogbuehi).  

Lewis is the mauler at RG we need, and he has done it against the best in the college game.  Oh, and he would likely be available when we pick in Rd 4.  

Well the problem is if Lewis is that dominate in your eyes. why is he not in the professional eyes if he is still sitting there in round 4
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 09:50 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Lapham didn't mention mock drafts. He mentioned his league sources. I'm assuming his talent scout buddies around the league or maybe someone inside the Bengals? 

I am finding nothing out there with Baun moving outside of 2nd round minimum.. not really sure where you are finding this, if so I like to read the article or comments... 

With a week to go.. I don;t see any signs he will not go late 1st or early 2nd...
Reply/Quote