Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - OJ Howard and Myles Garrett 2 safest picks in draft
I just saw this article on Cincy Jungle saying that OJ Howard was considered one of the safest picks in this draft class.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/4/24/15390308/oj-howard-safest-options-bengals-round-1

I found it interesting that Geoff Hobson was quoted saying...
Quote:“The two safest guys in this draft are Myles Garrett, the end from A&M, and probably O.J. Howard, the tight end from Alabama,” Bengals.com writer Geoff Hobson told Lance McAllister on his podcast. “After that, it’s what do you like? What’s your flavor? Where do you have them ranked? I think if O.J. Howard is the top guy there, and you’ve already got Tyler Eifert, if you’re true to your board, you take O.J. Howard. It’s like I say, what the hell is wrong with having two good tight ends?”

“What they mean by staying true to your board is – if you have a guy ranked, and he’s fifth, don’t go down and get the eighth guy because he fills a need,” Hobson said. “For years they did that. They would look at the depth chart and go, ‘well, we need a safety. Ok, whose the top rated safety? It wouldn’t matter where he was ranked at the players.’ Duke’s (director of player personnel Duke Tobin) done a great job with that.”

“You just can’t force a pass rusher there. If you don’t think Derek Barnett can run fast enough and you got a guy like Howard staring at you,” Hobson said. “If you don’t think that Barnett is big enough, fast enough, then at nine you have to get the surest thing.”

“At No. 9, you’re gonna get a guy that gets five sacks a year? It’s not a walk. He’s a good player, he’d do well for you,” Hobson said. “But, is there somebody a little bit more explosive or athletic ahead of you? Who knows? Howard could be gone, and then maybe they do end up with Barnett. It all depends on where he’s ranked.”

“That’s really the crux of this draft, because there is not a drop-dead, knock-down, gotta have that guy at number nine,” Hobson said. “There’s about three or four very good players that are probably going to be high on everyone’s draft board. That would be the kid from A&M – [Myles Garrett], the safety from LSU - Jamal Adams, and I think maybe the defensive lineman – Solomon Thomas.”

These comments from Hobson align with what the Bengals have followed in recent years...take BPA, don't reach. I think the Bengals will still follow this strategy, and I think it's telling that Hobson asks "What's wrong with having two good tight ends?"
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Kellen Winslow JR seemed like a can't miss prospect too, I hope Howard is more Vernon Davis than Winslow.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 02:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: Kellen Winslow JR seemed like a can't miss prospect too, I hope Howard is more Vernon Davis than Winslow.

I like Joe Goodberry's comparison of Howard to Delanie Walker. Not the best overall receiving TE but a very, very solid one that is well-rounded both in receiving and blocking. But I think that since Howard is 3-4" taller and more athletic, he has a higher ceiling than Walker.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
To me, what is most telling about the article, is how Hobson speaks of Barnett in less than glowing terms. Kind of like he wanted to prepare fans to the idea that Barnett isn't going to be the pick.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 02:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I like Joe Goodberry's comparison of Howard to Delanie Walker. Not the best overall receiving TE but a very, very solid one that is well-rounded both in receiving and blocking. But I think that since Howard is 3-4" taller and more athletic, he has a higher ceiling than Walker.

The only difference is Walker was a 6th rounder. If we are taking a TE at 9, he better be Vernon Davis.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 02:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: The only difference is Walker was a 6th rounder. If we are taking a TE at 9, he better be Vernon Davis.

I think the comparison was more of what Walker's been in Tennessee. Walker came from a small school, was 4" shorter, less explosive, and didn't blossom until his 8th year in the league when he left SF and went to Tennessee. Part of that though is likely because of Vernon Davis being there. Hard to become a top TE when there was already one drafted in the top 5 the same year you came out.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 02:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: The only difference is Walker was a 6th rounder. If we are taking a TE at 9, he better be Vernon Davis.

If we got (2015-2016) delanie walker type production for 10+ years you would be looking at a potential HOF.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the comparison was more of what Walker's been in Tennessee. Walker came from a small school, was 4" shorter, less explosive, and didn't blossom until his 8th year in the league when he left SF and went to Tennessee. Part of that though is likely because of Vernon Davis being there. Hard to become a top TE when there was already one drafted in the top 5 the same year you came out.

...sound familiar. I worry that Eiffert may hinder Howards development. I am not against it, but we have bungled this move before.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 03:00 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: If we got (2015-2016) delanie walker type production for 10+ years you would be looking at a potential HOF.

Sure, but walker didn't even give walker production for a couple years. It could have been San Fran's fault but I still worry that Patriots were the only team to figure out how to use the two TE set effectively so while Eiffert is here we will waste Howard.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 03:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...sound familiar. I worry that Eiffert may hinder Howards development. I am not against it, but we have bungled this move before.

Bengals have to know eifert is glass.  they can't count on him to play a full season.  
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 03:01 PM)Au165 Wrote: Sure, but walker didn't even give walker production for a couple years. It could have been San Fran's fault but I still worry that Patriots were the only team to figure out how to use the two TE set effectively so while Eiffert is here we will waste Howard.

You are right, I just don't expect eifert to be healthy for any length of time.  Any NFL player having a fusion on their spine has to really look in the mirror and determine quality of life post NFL.

Eifert is a beast, when healthy.  It's just he can't stay healthy.  
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 03:03 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: You are right, I just don't expect eifert to be healthy for any length of time.  Any NFL player having a fusion on their spine has to really look in the mirror and determine quality of life post NFL.

Eifert is a beast, when healthy.  It's just he can't stay healthy.  

We are in agreement here, my point is at 9 a TE better be a once in a generation player. Not in a couple years, but right now. There has been a lot of value for TE's in the 2-4 round which is why I prefer waiting for a TE. I don't mind Howard, but I am leery of us over drafting a nice piece over an essential piece.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 03:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: We are in agreement here, my point is at 9 a TE better be a once in a generation player. Not in a couple years, but right now. There has been a lot of value for TE's in the 2-4 round which is why I prefer waiting for a TE. I don't mind Howard, but I am leery of us over drafting a nice piece over an essential piece.

Dalton is a different qb when he has a beast stretching the defense up the seams.  Regardless of position the offense needs more playmakers outside of AJ Green and Bernard (coming off a knee). 

I agree the bengals need an OL as well, along with DL, and LB. 

If the bengals can get a better offense it will keep the defense fresher.  I'd give the bengals one more season to see if the OL can somehow gel.  It could get dalton killed... But I'd rather see the bengals take an impact playmaker and then get their OL help on day 2/3.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 03:09 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Dalton is a different qb when he has a beast stretching the defense up the seams.  Regardless of position the offense needs more playmakers outside of AJ Green and Bernard (coming off a knee). 

I agree the bengals need an OL as well, along with DL, and LB. 

If the bengals can get a better offense it will keep the defense fresher.  I'd give the bengals one more season to see if the OL can somehow gel.  It could get dalton killed... But I'd rather see the bengals take an impact playmaker and then get their OL help on day 2/3.

Where the big difference is for Dalton is in the red zone TD conversion. His stats outside of the 20 are pretty similar when Eiffert is in and out, but it is in the redzone where he needs the big time TE.
Reply/Quote
The only question I would have about the Bengals taking TE OJ Howard in the 1st round, would they utilize him enough to merit the investment? The Bengals already have some TEs with good hands and physical tools to get more creative with the game plan, however they really don't seem to give the TE position a ton of targets.

I get the part about Eifert being such a tremendous weapon in the Red Zone, but why wait until you're inside the opponent's 20 yard line to make your play selection less predictable? I'm hoping for some good, creative progression at the OC position, now that Zampese should be past the 1st year jitters, but I'm not holding my breath.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 02:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To me, what is most telling about the article, is how Hobson speaks of Barnett in less than glowing terms.  Kind of like he wanted to prepare fans to the idea that Barnett isn't going to be the pick.

Yes,that is very telling too. For those that remember, the Bengals were very involved in Derek Barnett's pro day. They got a very good look at him. Perhaps they fear he doesn't have elite potential and instead will take a player with a higher ceiling.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I believe it would be very hard to dispute either of the two guys. With Howard @ Bama I believe that we've only seen a flash of his potential. Watching the tapes he does everything you can ask of him is his blocking alignments. I just feel like they didn't give him a valid shot down field. I honestly would much rather see them snag Howard at 8 then any of the big 3 WR. That's just my opinion though.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 03:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes,that is very telling too. For those that remember, the Bengals were very involved in Derek Barnett's pro day. They got a very good look at him. Perhaps they fear he doesn't have elite potential and instead will take a player with a higher ceiling.

Hasn't Hobson been very wrong in predicting who the Bengals go with historically? I am not disputing that we may go Howard, but I honestly believe Hobson has no idea at all who we like.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 04:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: Hasn't Hobson been very wrong in predicting who the Bengals go with historically? I am not disputing that we may go Howard, but I honestly believe Hobson has no idea at all who we like.

He's not accurate at predicting who the Bengals will take.  But, he's quite good at letting you know who they aren't taking.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Eifert does ok as a wide out at times. Maybe it is time to just replace him at te.
Reply/Quote