Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson Speaks on Ross
It looks like John Ross won’t be rushed into the lineup to replace A.J. Green after various publications reported Monday that Green won’t be suspended following Sunday’s ejection stemming from a fight with Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey. But Ross, the fastest combine prospect ever, is finding the race doesn't always go to the swift.

Excerpts:
“John has had three weeks of practice now. Let’s let him practice and let’s get him comfortable playing football again before we put him back in there,” Lewis said. “When he knows what to do and how to do it all the time, and when he can play productively, then he’ll play fast, he’ll play with confidence. But he wouldn’t be very confident (right now). Each day, he gets more confident with playing football. He hasn’t been playing football. That’s the thing. You have to (practice) 11-on-11 enough to be comfortable with it.”

“People can line me up all day and tell me to run 4.22,” he said of his combine record time. “But after the first one I probably won’t get back to that 4.2. It just depends how I’ll condition myself. That was hard for me to see. I thought in my head, I’m fully healthy. I need to be out there. But after I sit down and evaluate the film and I’m like, I don’t look the same as I did on the last play.”

When he saw that …

“That’s what they mean. (Wide receivers) Coach (James) Urban always tells me, ‘You’ve got to get your legs back.’ I’m starting to get them back. It’s starting to show up.”

More in the article here:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Green-set-free-as-Ross-paces-own-return/7b2a2d1b-363f-4dee-be14-d74b269c12a9
Reply/Quote
It kind of sounds like he's not as fast in pads as the Bengals thought he would be at this point.
Reply/Quote
Dude was the best receiver coming out of the draft hands down. Sounds like sitting out from injury really took a toll on him though. Another investment pick. I'm sure it'll get criticized to death but it's not always easy coming back from an injury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Man, it sounds like Marvin is talking about a baseball or basketball player trying to transition into the sport, not a guy some felt was a top 10 pick.

Ultimately, though, I think it just boils down to Marvin & Co.'s hesitancy to play rookies.
Reply/Quote
Marvin: "He needs to be comfortable playing football again"
*Refuses to let him play football*
Marvin: "Why isn't he getting more comfortable playing football?"
*Giggle*
Reply/Quote
I get it the guy missed all of spring and then got hurt in pre season. It's a process a frustrating one but a process nonetheless,
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 04:51 PM)Benton Wrote: Man, it sounds like Marvin is talking about a baseball or basketball player trying to transition into the sport, not a guy some felt was a top 10 pick.

Ultimately, though, I think it just boils down to Marvin & Co.'s hesitancy to play rookies.

Except Malone, Lawson, and Willis are playing.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Except Malone, Lawson, and Willis are playing.

Fair enough. Maybe I should've said "high round picks except when forced."
Reply/Quote
Marvin Rule #27a

Rookies must ride the Pine
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I typically give players 2-3 years to come along before I consider them to be bad/good. Some people want to write John Ross off already because he was picked in the Top 10 and they have this strange (old school?) mentality that a Top 10 pick must be a surefire selection that contributes immediately. Also, the Bengals don't like to depend on rookies being slotted right into a starter role, so they typically have some vet occupying that spot for at least the rookie's first 1-2 years. In this case, LaFell is that guy. And until John Ross can show clear improvement over LaFell in practice, LaFell will get the nod over Ross until the Bengals are statistically eliminated from playoff contention. That's just the philosophy this organization follows. Some may disagree, but that's how it is.

But let me emphasize this point because some people seem to forget it...John Ross doesn't all of a sudden turn this team into one with a winning record. If Ross can make it onto the field for at least December and show some talent, I think (some of) the doubters might very well change their minds about him being a bust or not. This team won't become a contender again until:
1) At least two of Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Bodine become at least average starters
and/or
2) The Bengals acquire new OL via FA and/or draft that are upgrades to the above players
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 04:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It looks like John Ross won’t be rushed into the lineup to replace A.J. Green after various publications reported Monday that Green won’t be suspended following Sunday’s ejection stemming from a fight with Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey. But Ross, the fastest combine prospect ever, is finding the race doesn't always go to the swift.

Excerpts:
“John has had three weeks of practice now. Let’s let him practice and let’s get him comfortable playing football again before we put him back in there,” Lewis said. “When he knows what to do and how to do it all the time, and when he can play productively, then he’ll play fast, he’ll play with confidence. But he wouldn’t be very confident (right now). Each day, he gets more confident with playing football. He hasn’t been playing football. That’s the thing. You have to (practice) 11-on-11 enough to be comfortable with it.”

“People can line me up all day and tell me to run 4.22,” he said of his combine record time. “But after the first one I probably won’t get back to that 4.2. It just depends how I’ll condition myself. That was hard for me to see. I thought in my head, I’m fully healthy. I need to be out there. But after I sit down and evaluate the film and I’m like, I don’t look the same as I did on the last play.”

When he saw that …

“That’s what they mean. (Wide receivers) Coach (James) Urban always tells me, ‘You’ve got to get your legs back.’ I’m starting to get them back. It’s starting to show up.”

More in the article here:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Green-set-free-as-Ross-paces-own-return/7b2a2d1b-363f-4dee-be14-d74b269c12a9

Apparently "practice" must mean full practice in pads because he was definitely running drills with the rest of the team in Training Camp. So I guess that doesn't count as "practice" or "playing football"...?
From my observations, this regime demands a player demonstrate well in practice for at least a month (more typically 2) before getting any offensive/defensive reps in regular season games. If John Ross is considered only having a few weeks worth of practice, we're not going to see him very much (if at all) on the field within the next 2-3 weeks. By that time, the Bengals will likely be out of contention anyway and have no reason but to play him since there's no risk of missing the playoffs if he sucks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Bust.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Reading between the lines he's having trouble learning the offense and playing tentatively.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Reading between the lines he's having trouble learning the offense and playing tentatively.

He probably keeps getting open and the coaching staff don't know how to handle it.  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bullshit. Put him out there, let him play, you moron. Oh, wait, we have this amazing season going and God forbid John Ross come in and ruin it.

I've said if Marv is here next year, I won't be. I'm not sure if I can make it through this year. Every time Marv speaks, I want to drop what I'm doing, head to PBS and punch him right in his lie hole. And then giggle.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 05:29 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bust.

Troll. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 04:56 PM)Ravage Wrote: Marvin: "He needs to be comfortable playing football again"
*Refuses to let him play football*
Marvin: "Why isn't he getting more comfortable playing football?"
*Giggle*

So....you're saying he can't get comfortable playing football again sitting on the bench ? Astonishing 

Ninja Ninja

(11-07-2017, 06:27 PM)McC Wrote: Bullshit.  Put him out there, let him play, you moron.  Oh, wait, we have this amazing season going and God forbid John Ross come in and ruin it.

I've said if Marv is here next year, I won't  be.  I'm not sure if I can make it through this year.  Every time Marv speaks, I want to drop what I'm doing, head to PBS and punch him right in his lie hole.  And then giggle.

I would stand there and clap and say lets go  Clapping
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 06:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So....you're saying he can't get comfortable playing football again sitting on the bench ? Astonishing 

Ninja Ninja

I would stand there and clap and say lets go  Clapping

I wonder if Oggie or Fishy would help him up.  I know one thing, I ain't taking no swings a AJ.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Posted this in another thread but probably more relevant here
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know he had the injury and NCAA rules over him but the way they're all talking its like he let his base fitness slip too much even before he got to formal practice...that's unacceptable to me from both the player and the coaches - way too complacent and does not seem like anyone is really busting their asses to get him out there despite the talk.

I don't care if he can only run 10-15 plays in the game...that's enough for him to be threat (or a perceived threat at the least)and actually see proof he can translate it to the NFL.

I swear if we go into next season  and I have to read a Hobson article about how we 'don't really know what we have in Ross",  or 'its essentially his rookie year so we have to ease him into year2" I  will go bat sh*t crazy [Image: XZFYgOJ.png?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 06:49 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Posted this in another thread but probably more relevant here
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know he had the injury and NCAA rules over him but the way they're all talking its like he let his base fitness slip too much even before he got to formal practice...that's unacceptable to me from both the player and the coaches - way too complacent and does not seem like anyone is really busting their asses to get him out there despite the talk.

I don't care if he can only run 10-15 plays in the game...that's enough for him to be threat (or a perceived threat at the least)and actually see proof he can translate it to the NFL.

I swear if we go into next season  and I have to read a Hobson article about how we 'don't really know what we have in Ross",  or 'its essentially his rookie year so we have to ease him into year2" I  will go bat sh*t crazy [Image: XZFYgOJ.png?1]

Rock On buddy, couldn't agree more.
Reply/Quote