Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Hobson back with his first propaganda piece
http://m.bengals.com/s/30838/360?itemUri=1341131871/31160051551315141010248051212

Pretty much says nothing will change in free agency etc...Oh joy
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
I read it earlier....this is Hobson at his finest. Opining on what he thinks the Bengals will do and attempting to justify why they'd do it.

If true, we're in for a long off season.
Reply/Quote
Also, there are remarks about how we won't take an offensive lineman in the first round of the draft. That is insanity. Our entire thrust of the off season should be the offensive line. If there is no worthy tackle, then take Nelson and move Boling on out to tackle for a season or two. It was no accident that our last two games were markedly better when we had an actual NFL quality lineman, namely Boling, at left tackle.
Reply/Quote
I don't remember the last time I read an article by that loon.

It's just one of those, "If we're active, I have some easy pieces to write up and if they're not, at least I planted the idea into Bengals fans minds ahead of time so they don't go crazy".
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Nelson , mcglichey are locks if they are there. LB Smith and safety James should be next
Reply/Quote
Hobson is so mind numbing. And although his view of the 12th pick is typical, we are not in a typical situation here.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In other words, water is wet.

If anyone truly believed that things were magically going to change just because Marvin Lewis said "16th time's the charm!" then I have a bridge to sell you.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Same old same old.

Although I will say that if we can't get a LT at #12 then I have no problem taking another position like DT, LB, Safety, or TE. If we are lookimng for C, RT, or OG then we can get one of those in the second round.

But we all know that the Bengals are willing to use both a first and a second on the O-line if the players we want are there. They just did it three years ago.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Look, 7-9 is underachieving. I get that. But how far off are they really off in personnel? Since Nov. 12 they let two potential play-off teams off the hook in the last minute and knocked two teams out of the playoffs in the last two weeks with a bare bones roster? Yes, they need help on the offensive line and they need a game-changing safety and a house at nose tackle. And good, smart coaching should take care of the rest. Are you telling me the Tennessee and Jacksonville offenses have better athletes and better quarterbacks than the Bengals offense?  I don't buy it. Better put together? No question. But better players? Don't think so.

I'll take 'worst attitudes regarding improvement for your favorite sports team to have' for 800, Alex.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 10:21 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'll take 'worst attitudes regarding improvement for your favorite sports team to have' for 800, Alex.

I would expect no less from a guy employed by the team, paid to make them sound wonderful to their fans.  The guy most likely enjoys earning a living at something that doesn't require a lot of thought or energy.  So, I just take whatever he writes with a grain of salt.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Honestly I wouldn't be upset if they didn't take a tackle in the first round. This isn't a very good class for them and each of the top tackles have their problems imo. With that said however, they can't pass up a guy like Quentin Nelson if he is still sitting there. IF he is gone by 12 grab a difference maker in Roquan Smith or Derwin James. Then focus on oline in rounds two and three.
Reply/Quote
I know that Hobson works for the Bengals and tries to put a positive spin on everything, but in this case I lterally think he is messing with the guy who asked this question

How is Marvin going to fix the horrible clock management? Tony Cox, Hooven, OH

TONY: The same way you fix your offense or your defense or both. Run the ball. That's always the answer when you're struggling in this league. When you know you can make 4.2 yards per carry and can hand it off on third-and-three, that makes everything easier. For your QB and your offensive line and for your thankful defense that can watch from the sidelines and limit their vulnerabilities. And it helps your coach. It helps you drain the clock and that's an easier clock to manage.

Could Hobson really be this clueless?  Even I admit that Marvin has problems with managing the clock at the end of halves.
Reply/Quote
One of these times he is going to forget to edit a name from his template. I can see it now, "Though they don't have money to spend, Marvin and staff really like what they see from Armon Binns in practice and expect him to get the separation needed to challenge for the 2nd WR spot."
Reply/Quote
I don't put much faith in the guy. He frankly has no clue and he even says at one point if Alexander was here Ced and Fisher would still be the guys, but a new coach probably will make his own call. Not sure how he says that then turns around and acts like Andre is a must resign based on that same logic. I think we see Boling stay at LT and we find a guard and center in the draft as they tend to have more value in the 2-4 rounds. We may resign Andre as a back up to Fisher coming back or we could look outside to someone the new OL coach has ties to come in and be the RT.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape here. Hobson is historically bad at predicting our draft outside of calling Gio, but that was more so Marvin was enamored by the guy and went to see him multiple times.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 10:44 AM)MentalRage Wrote: Honestly I wouldn't be upset if they didn't take a tackle in the first round. This isn't a very good class for them and each of the top tackles have their problems imo. With that said however, they can't pass up a guy like Quentin Nelson if he is still sitting there. IF he is gone by 12 grab a difference maker in Roquan Smith or Derwin James. Then focus on oline in rounds two and three.

I think this has been said about the last few draft classes. The simple truth is I think college is not going to produce any amazing faultless OTs anymore. The game is way too fast paced and very different from the NFL's offensive style. That is inevitably going to create OTs that are not refined or Game 1 ready to start LT. That doesn't mean there aren't players with the potential to be great.

Remember, people said Whitworth was not fit for LT when he was coming out of the draft either.
http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft06/insider/news/story?id=2427170
Quote:55. Cincinnati Bengals

The pick: Andrew Whitworth, OT, LSU
Scouts take: The Bengals continue to press all the right buttons on draft day. After improving their secondary depth with Johnathan Joseph in the first round, the Bengals got another solid value in Whitworth in Round 2. Whitworth was an efficient four-year starter at left tackle for LSU, but he lacks ideal athleticism, which is why he projects as a right tackle in the NFL. Four out of five starters along the Bengals' offensive line (including OTs Levi Jones and Willie Anderson) will become free agents following next season. So, after providing quality depth during his rookie season, Whitworth should become the replacement for Anderson at right tackle in 2007.

I would love to see McGlinchey, Brown or Williams at 12. All three of them are ready to play right now and could develop into special LTs. And, most importantly, they aren't soft like Ogbuehi and Fisher (and who were scouted as such in college!). Maybe even Okorafor if he raises his stock this off season.
Reply/Quote
The four serious areas of need for Bengals ( not in order but just listing them) are center, tackle, linebacker and safety.

I think it is stunning that Hobspin stated that safety is an area of need.

Taking the best safety at 12 would be so unlike the Bengals but if the right one was there it would be a good choice.

The depressing part - which was easily predictable- they won't sign even one quality free agent - we will need to save cap space for injuries and roll over for 2019.

How much would it improve the team to sign the best FA center or a top FA tackle- but Mike won't do it. It is not happening.

Nothing ever changes with Mike Brown.

Two losses to Steelers next year. No chance of a playoff win. Mark it down.
Reply/Quote
If there was ever a year to change our approach on FA it is this year.

Solve the OL with vets and then draft whoever the hell you want would be my suggestion.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 04:48 AM)Trademark Wrote: http://m.bengals.com/s/30838/360?itemUri=1341131871/31160051551315141010248051212

Pretty much says nothing will change in free agency etc...Oh joy

Crap like this is precisely why I said that all the talk Marvin and Co. were spewing since he was retained wasn't worth much because I see better than I hear.
Prove to me that things will change through FA and the draft before I believe you that things will get better.
This Hobson article contradicts what Marvin was saying regarding change so I don't believe things will change.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Shocker....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 11:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: Shocker....

Exactly right.
Reply/Quote