Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson reports Tate will be cut so they can keep Core.
I thought when they cut LaFell that Tate was going to make the team for sure. As did a lot of us.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just found this gem discussing cutting 1st round pick Perriman from the Ravens:

"Breshad Perriman, WR, Baltimore Ravens: The former first-round pick is no higher than No. 5 on the depth chart after falling behind Chris Moore. A fifth or sixth receiver in his fourth season who has no special teams value is not long for the NFL."

Yes, I understand Tate is young and has great potential, but special teams can't be dismissed for your 5th and 6the receiver according to this reporter.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 10:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tate isnt clearing waivers. the Colts or a WR needy team will snatch him up...especially the Colts

Hard to say, but why take a chance.  They'd be better off to work behind the scenes with one of the vets (like Michael Johnson) and let him become a free agent for a day so they can do their IR work, then resign him back to the 53.  

If they were straight up about it with MJ he'd probably go for it.  At this stage of his career why not, probably wants to retire where he started.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 12:20 AM)impactplaya Wrote: i really do.understand football. was involved in the game from 1979.to 2015 in some form fashion.
I know also that theirs a myth that special teams is 33% of the game. 
i understand that someone like Cody Core his role on kick coverage or the return phase 
is really over rated cause I have yet heard anyone state " we are really missing Cody Core on the field" 
if special teams was relevant to the teams w/l at the end of the year then how come
place kickers long snappers gunners punters arent drafted in Rds 1 through 3.
most guys on special teams are 5th 6th 7th rd guys or undrafted players.
Finding Cores replacement on special.teams has been easy.
what isnt easy is trying to improve a lethargic offense that struggled in the red zone.
Tds win games more often then Cody Core funneling a returner back.inside the middle 
or him tackling a guy at the 23
Auden Tate givin the down distance and where is ball is snapped can impact the scoreboard more than Core ever could. 
put Tate in the red zone he wins his battle more often than not. 
coaches love.to.over complicate at times. 
its about winning matchups creating mismatching exposing weakness.
can your 5'10 cb defend my 6'5 WR without drawing a PI?
I understand football.
i understand the Bengals offense needs all the mismatches it can create 

Well put impactplaya
Reply/Quote
I'm still not sure they will cut him, but if they do, mark me down as this is a huge mistake. We do not have any guarantee of how long we will have Eifert, and we sucked scoring in the red zone last year. Tate can be a huge red zone threat. Core is nothing special. Nothing against Core, but Tate's ability to make contested catches brings more to the table than Core's ST plan, if you ask me. Plus, we don't even know if Core will heal in time to bring him back.....
Reply/Quote
Core has not put up any numbers in the passing game since he had 200 yards in 2016 his rookie year. VS a decent red zone threat we might not use Tate till later in the year after guys go down to injury that will give a little more time to polish him up as a WR.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 10:12 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Core has not put up any numbers in the passing game since he had 200 yards in 2016 his rookie year. VS a decent red zone threat we might not use Tate till later in the year after guys go down to injury that will give a little more time to polish him up as a WR.

I love weapons in the redzone too, I have stated I like Tate. But to compare the guy to Randy Moss in potential is absurd. He has Moss Height and catches very well, that ends the comparison because he has average speed and Moss had elite speed. That is why a Guy like Tate needs to be trusted if needed to perform well on special teams, he has not done so yet so up to him to go sacrifice his body on teams to stay in the NFL like most before him drafted in round 7.

I think he could be good, but more to game than throwing balls to a guy one on one and hope he wins the battle, CB's are smart and they figure out one trick ponies real quick. Tate is a developmental player, Core is a developmental player still. I like Tate better long term too, but the Bengals are in no position to keep playing for 2 years from now so while I may not agree with a decision to keep Core over Tate, I understand why they might do it.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 10:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm still not sure they will cut him, but if they do, mark me down as this is a huge mistake. We do not have any guarantee of how long we will have Eifert, and we sucked scoring in the red zone last year. Tate can be a huge red zone threat. Core is nothing special. Nothing against Core, but Tate's ability to make contested catches brings more to the table than Core's ST plan,  if you ask me. Plus, we don't even know if Core will heal in time to bring him back.....

They would IR Core if any chance he would not be back in 6 weeks in my opinion, just like they did with Carter.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 02:15 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: They would IR Core if any chance he would not be back in 6 weeks in my opinion, just like they did with Carter.

But they can only return one, correct?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 02:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But they can only return one, correct?

Two...
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 02:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: But they can only return one, correct?

They changed it to 2 a few years ago and don't have to make the decision on bringing back either I don't think for at least 6 weeks.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2018, 10:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's stupid to take someone who has superior physical gifts and dump him because a guy who can't even make a contested catch plays special teams. 

#6 WR rarely sees the field.

Key ST players can play a dozen snaps.

I am not saying Core is a great WR, but Tate is a little over rated around here.  Seems like every year fans fall for a rookie WR "beast" who was either a late pick or undrafted.

They never go to other teams and become good players.
Reply/Quote
Must be more to this, if Core is injured he would be on IR and Tate would make the team as the last WR.

ST's is a big deal whether people want to admit it or not and must be the reason Core has the advantage here.

Core can block and tackle, i don't know that about Auden. But TD's score games and Tate has rare talent in this department.

I would keep Tate simply cause of his Red Zone ability, but that is just me.
Reply/Quote
A lot of people downplay the significance of Special Teams. I like Core and he contributes in areas other than just offense. I understand why the team wants to keep him. I would also like to see them keep Tate.

If the plan is to put Core on IR recall and they want to keep Tate, why not put both on the 53 and try to run someone else through waivers?
Reply/Quote
St's were not that great last year when Core was, evidently, such a vital cog in the wheel. This year, ST's have been much better without Core. Somebody please explain how he is so valuable.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  But TD's score games and Tate has rare talent in this department.

No he doesn't.  Being able to jump upo and catch a ball is not that amazing.  If it were then every team would have a bunch of slow tall WRs how could jump.

Go look at the NFL leaders in td receptions.  It is not a list of tall guys who can jump.

His "redzone skills" are vastly overrated.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:24 PM)McC Wrote: St's were not that great last year when Core was, evidently, such a vital cog in the wheel.  This year, ST's have been much better without Core.  Somebody please explain how he is so valuable.

The value is in the eye of the coaches.. Core is better hands down than Tate on Specials.. Tate is also limited as a WR more than Core is as a Special.  If they decide to cut Tate is because his value as the last WR on the team is less than Core is on specials.. it just comes down to what the coaches feel is the best makeup of the team this year with their backups.. rarely does your last WR make teams if they can't contribute on specials .  They also could cut both of them.. and keep someone extra in another position that again them deem more important in the shape of their roster now... players with talent get cut from every team, this is the NFL, you don;t get this far without talent so rosters are shaped more by need especially on the backend than talent of a player.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he doesn't.  Being able to jump upo and catch a ball is not that amazing.  If it were then every team would have a bunch of slow tall WRs how could jump.

Go look at the NFL leaders in td receptions.  It is not a list of tall guys who can jump.

His "redzone skills" are vastly overrated.

The other receivers on the team, the WR coach and the HC are apparently all stupid too cuz they all raved about him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 03:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The value is in the eye of the coaches.. Core is better hands down than Tate on Specials.. Tate is also limited as a WR more than Core is as a Special.  If they decide to cut Tate is because his value as the last WR on the team is less than Core is on specials.. it just comes down to what the coaches feel is the best makeup of the team this year with their backups.. rarely does your last WR make teams if they can't contribute on specials .  They also could cut both of them.. and keep someone extra in another position that again them deem more important in the shape of their roster now... players with talent get cut from every team, this is the NFL, you don;t get this far without talent so rosters are shaped more by need especially on the backend than talent of a player.

Did not answer my question at all.  Last year, ST's were average when Core was supposedly one of our best ST players.  This year, so far, he hasn't been out there, yet the Teams look better.  I fail to see all the value.

Reply/Quote
Tate stays per Hobson
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote