Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope vs Expect
Hey BengalsBoard, I was just thinking about my 25 + years of Bengals fandom. In the 90's and early 2000's there was a "HOPE" that we would win on given Sundays. Starting for me in 2005, there was an "EXPECTATION" that we would win on most Sundays. Fast Forward to 2011-2015/16 there was also an "EXPECTATION" that we would win most weeks. The first 2 years under Taylor, we were back to "HOPE".

This year, how quickly that changed as the season progressed. I'd look at teams at the beginning and "HOPE", Then as the season progressed, I "EXPECTED"......Which brings me to my main point......

Where are you at with these Bengals going into Sunday? Do you HOPE to Win....or do you EXPECT to win? Or is it ok for Both??
Reply/Quote
Expect to win.
Reply/Quote
I expect the Bengals to open the season on Thursday night this coming season... Nah mean?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I HOPE we come out and play like the team I know we are because, if we do that, I EXPECT us to win.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 11:33 PM)jason Wrote: I expect the Bengals to open the season on Thursday night this coming season... Nah mean?

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b761192aa122d1e9b4c8948...y.gif&ct=g]
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow doesn't expect excellence or perfection - he expects to win.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
In the past when we were up two scores I was always waiting for the other team to reach in and pull our heart out.  If we were down two scores there wasn't much hope.

Now with Burrow, if we're up two scores I have some confidence. You can chase us, but can you catch us?  Likewise, if we're down two scores, there's always hope.  In almost any situation we're one play from being back in the game.

Remember, we went down 14 to nothing at the start of the first KC game.  Just keeping it interesting.Cool
Reply/Quote
I think we will be a hell of an opponent for them. Let's not get it twisted they are the current dynasty. We have seen that not only can we hang with them BUT WE CAN WIN. If we win, I will celebrate so hard I will need to be reminded of the result in the morning. If we lose, I will hold my head high and confidently say this is the most proud I have ever been to be a Bengals fan. I EXPECT US TO LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FIELD! Win or lose its been a great year. WHO DEY!

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I'm trying to bang a Packers fan that recently dropped her boyfriend so I'm hoping my playoff weekend "potential" sleep over is still on, but, due to the Packers' collapse, I'm expecting her interest in wanting to hang out and watching both games to be minimal at best.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I expect us to win.

WHO DEY!!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Next year I will expect the Bengals to win on Sunday. This week it’s a hope.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like the eveness of the players' expectations (at least in front of the media).

But, as Burrow states..."I'm tired of the underdog narrative. We're a really good team, with really good players and really good coaches".

We're inferior to NO ONE!.

So, let all the prognosticators and detractors say what they will.

I EXPECT them to win. More importantly, the players, coaches and the entire team, EXPECT to win.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 11:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I HOPE we come out and play like the team I know we are because, if we do that, I EXPECT us to win.

now its expect....
this team is finding ways to just make those crucial plays when it counts no matter whats going on. ...and JB is on a tear right now
Reply/Quote
I expect the Bengals to carve a bottom-tier defense to shreds and that it will be enough.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 11:59 AM)kalibengal Wrote: now its expect....
this team is finding ways to just make those crucial plays when it counts no matter whats going on. ...and JB is on a tear right now

I agree because, under Burrow, this team also expects to win every game, which is something we've lacked in Cinci!

The '05 team was cocky and confident, but that was more of a child-like arrogance, whereas this team is more confident that they'll come out and out-play the other team (if that makes sense) and have each other's backs.
Reply/Quote
We all hope for a Super Bowl victory.

Realistically, and I think most long-time Bengals fans probably feel this way deep down, I'm always stiffening myself in preparation of the impending crushing disappointment. I wholeheartedly believe that we CAN beat the Chiefs at their place, but we need some bounces IMO. It will be by far the toughest environment these young guys have seen in the NFL, so it won't be easy. But it's a championship game, it shouldn't be easy.

I will say, even if we lose Sunday, this season has been the most fun I've had as a Bengals fan since 1988 (I was 13 years old at the time). Actually, it's probably been more fun. I grew up in Athens, so we didn't go to any games in 1988, and I've been to three this year all the way from Atlanta, including the Raiders playoff game. What a blast it's been to watch this team come together like this. I don't want it to end yet, but even a loss Sunday can't knock me off this cloud I'm on.
Reply/Quote
Im expecting a SB win until I see otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 12:32 AM)Roland Wrote: In the past when we were up two scores I was always waiting for the other team to reach in and pull our heart out.  If we were down two scores there wasn't much hope.

Now with Burrow, if we're up two scores I have some confidence. You can chase us, but can you catch us?  Likewise, if we're down two scores, there's always hope.  In almost any situation we're one play from being back in the game.

Remember, we went down 14 to nothing at the start of the first KC game.  Just keeping it interesting.Cool

They were down by 14 on 3 different occasions in that game.. Definitely kept it interesting.. 
This ain't the same old star crossed Bengals anymore.. I expect the Lombardy IN Cincinnati..  Who Dey Who Dey
Even if I'm in doubt even a tiny bit I'm never gonna admit it..  Tongue
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 12:12 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: We all hope for a Super Bowl victory.

Realistically, and I think most long-time Bengals fans probably feel this way deep down, I'm always stiffening myself in preparation of the impending crushing disappointment.  I wholeheartedly believe that we CAN beat the Chiefs at their place, but we need some bounces IMO.  It will be by far the toughest environment these young guys have seen in the NFL, so it won't be easy.  But it's a championship game, it shouldn't be easy.  

I will say, even if we lose Sunday, this season has been the most fun I've had as a Bengals fan since 1988 (I was 13 years old at the time).  Actually, it's probably been more fun.  I grew up in Athens, so we didn't go to any games in 1988, and I've been to three this year all the way from Atlanta, including the Raiders playoff game.  What a blast it's been to watch this team come together like this.   I don't want it to end yet, but even a loss Sunday can't knock me off this cloud I'm on.

It's really hard to break that habit of steeling yourself against a potential loss.  Getting emotionally invested and then getting crushed sucks.  But I will say my attitude has changed a lot this year.  They're a fun team.  I feel okay investing because they're proving they're worthy of it.  And honestly, even if they lost this Sunday, I know they'll be back and even better next year, and the season will be so much more excited from the onset with that being the case.  

I really do expect them to win this Sunday.  It's been a weird year but it just feels like they've got the lightning captured in a bottle. 
Reply/Quote
After that horrible showing last week, I expect the o line to come out and play much better....
Reply/Quote