Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Are The Steelers Ranked Ahead of Us?
(05-16-2016, 07:08 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Steelers swept the Bengals and won when it "mattered" ....playoffs.

Do you even pay attention to teams outside of Baltimore?
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 01:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: very simple on this one brad.

They beat us in the playoff game therefore ranked higher.

But the rankings are for the upcoming season, not to mention that we had them beat until their coach illegally came onto the field.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 11:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: But the rankings are for the upcoming season, not to mention that we had them beat until their coach illegally came onto the field.

Bengals fans and those affiliated with the Bengals are the only people on Earth who didn't gobble up the narrative that was pushed after that game. Keep that in mind. 

Regardless, you could flip a coin to determine preseason rankings between the two teams. 
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 08:19 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Bengals fans and those affiliated with the Bengals are the only people on Earth who didn't gobble up the narrative that was pushed after that game. 

You think that maybe there's a reason for that?

When 1,000 soldiers are marching in a parade and 999 are in step together and one is out of step, it's the 999 who are right and not the lone solider doing his own thing.  
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 01:01 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I suspect the biggest concern among those who rate is the loss of Hue. WR's come and go. Good coordinators are harder to replace.

I suspect the blow-up in the playoffs is also a concern. 

I'm not saying they are right or wrong. But these are some things that have to be proven over time, just as the Steelers have to prove they can keep their big three on O upright for most of the season.

I have a feeling urban and zamp had a bigger voice than we think in the X's and O's.  They were the ones pushing for more spread looks and simpler initial looks to dictate coverage.   

I suspect urban is one of the top coaches on the staff that no one knows.   
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2016, 11:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: But the rankings are for the upcoming season, not to mention that we had them beat until their coach illegally came onto the field.

We were behind the steelers and Ravens last year.   We will win the division this year.   
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2016, 06:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Better QB than the Bengals.  Check
Better O-line than the Bengals.  Check
Better RB Corps than the Bengals.  Check
Best WR in the league and probably, without Bryant, equal overall WR Corps
Defense is close to equal with the secondary bringing it down so edge to the Bengals there, but not even close to a big enough edge to make up for the huge talent gaps between the two offenses.

I'll give you the QB, but don't see the rest. Bell is great, when he's healthy, which hasn't been the case the last couple of years. He was lost for the season on a routine tackle.

Bengals D gets the nod over the Steelers. Both have good lines and good LBs, but the Bengals secondary is substantially superior both in starting talent and in depth.

I'm looking for the Bengals to lay a 40 burger on you guys at least once in 2016.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 09:33 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'll give you the QB, but don't see the rest. Bell is great, when he's healthy, which hasn't been the case the last couple of years. He was lost for the season on a routine tackle.

Bengals D gets the nod over the Steelers. Both have good lines and good LBs, but the Bengals secondary is substantially superior both in starting talent and in depth.

I'm looking for the Bengals to lay a 40 burger on you guys at least once in 2016.

Their RBs had a much better season than the Bengals'.

Brown is also (slightly) better than Green. I'll side with a "not sure" on the overall receivers, though, given that both teams have guys who need to prove something first. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 11:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Their RBs had a much better season than the Bengals'.

Brown is also (slightly) better than Green. I'll side with a "not sure" on the overall receivers, though, given that both teams have guys who need to prove something first. 
The Bengals ranked 13th in total yards rushed.. Steelers 16th, 

Steelers ranked 8th in total yards per carry, Bengals 23rd

Bengals ranked 4th in TDs, Steelers 6th. 

I would not say the Steelers had a much better rushing game than the Bengals last year, I would give slight edge  to the Steelers
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 09:15 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The Bengals ranked 13th in total yards rushed.. Steelers 16th, 

Steelers ranked 8th in total yards per carry, Bengals 23rd

Bengals ranked 4th in TDs, Steelers 6th. 

I would not say the Steelers had a much better rushing game than the Bengals last year, I would give slight edge  to the Steelers

Your own stats show that the Steelers backs were more effective than the Bengals backs.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 11:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Their RBs had a much better season than the Bengals'.

(05-20-2016, 10:53 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Your own stats show that the Steelers backs were more effective than the Bengals backs
Yes my stats gave Steelers slight edge since they were very strong in YPC but Bengals were better in total yards and Tds but the point was that BmorePat87 said Steelers had a much better season than the Bengals at RB and I feel that they had a slight edge not a much better season. 
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 02:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Yes my stats gave Steelers slight edge since they were very strong in YPC but Bengals were better in total yards and Tds but the point was that BmorePat87 said Steelers had a much better season than the Bengals at RB and I feel that they had a slight edge not a much better season. 

But the numbers offered were rankings.  Rankings don't really allow you to compare with that type of precision.  Raw statistics do a better job of determining the extent of an advantage.  For example, wo when teams are separated by only one notch in the rankings of a given category, we assume only a slight edge.  But that notch could represent a quantum leap in the actual statistic being ranked.  Similarly, when teams are ranked far apart, say six or seven notches, we assume a greater advantage, but without the raw stats, we don't know if the difference between those six teams is slight or large.  

You need to compare raw stats head to head to make a more precise comparison.  
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 02:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Yes my stats gave Steelers slight edge since they were very strong in YPC but Bengals were better in total yards and Tds but the point was that BmorePat87 said Steelers had a much better season than the Bengals at RB and I feel that they had a slight edge not a much better season. 

Had the Steelers run the ball as much as the Bengals, their backs would've crushed Cincinnati's and probably by a pretty sizeable margin. And that's even considering that Bell was out for the better part of the season.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
I'm still looking for the Bengals to lay a 40 burger on the Steelers.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 02:37 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Had the Steelers run the ball as much as the Bengals, their backs would've crushed Cincinnati's and probably by a pretty sizeable margin. And that's even considering that Bell was out for the better part of the season.

Ok with that logic.. the Bengals passing game last year really was even  or slightly better than  Steelers if we compare how often Steelers passed compared to Bengals and passer rating

Steelers:  590 attempts 391 completions for a 8.2 YPC

Bengals:  505 attempts  303  completions for 8.1 YPC

and if we factor in passing rating.. Steelers were 91.2 (14th) and Bengals were 104  (2nd)
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 02:18 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: But the numbers offered were rankings.  Rankings don't really allow you to compare with that type of precision.  Raw statistics do a better job of determining the extent of an advantage.  For example, wo when teams are separated by only one notch in the rankings of a given category, we assume only a slight edge.  But that notch could represent a quantum leap in the actual statistic being ranked.  Similarly, when teams are ranked far apart, say six or seven notches, we assume a greater advantage, but without the raw stats, we don't know if the difference between those six teams is slight or large.  

You need to compare raw stats head to head to make a more precise comparison.  

so what raw stats do you want to compare to make a precise comparison that shows such a superior advantage given to Steelers over Bengals ?  My point is I do give Steelers an advantage last year in running game just don;t believe it was a such giant advantage and if you dig down into the passing numbers, the advantage of Steelers is much less advantage and possible pretty much a wash.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 10:09 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: so what raw stats do you want to compare to make a precise comparison that shows such a superior advantage given to Steelers over Bengals ?  My point is I do give Steelers an advantage last year in running game just don;t believe it was a such giant advantage and if you dig down into the passing numbers, the advantage of Steelers is much less advantage and possible pretty much a wash.

Superior, huge, large, big.....whatever. 

They were better. I hate when people cherry pick silly things to try to help their self esteem. 
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
Let's look at their #1 and 2.

Bell + Williams = 1,493 yards on 313 carries for 4.67 YPC and 14 TDs. 4 fumbles, 2 lost.
Bernard + Hill = 1,524 yards on 377 carries for 4.04 YPC and 13 TDs. 5 fumbles, 3 lost.

So the Steelers backs had 31 less yards but also had 64 less carries... other than that, they lead the Bengals in all other measurable factors (on the ground).

Hill really is what brought the YPC down. He only had 3.6 YPC. Bernard had a pretty good season and it is really a toss up between him, Wiliams, and Bell over who performed the best. However, put the pairs together and it's clear the Steelers have a better duo.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 10:46 AM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Superior, huge, large, big.....whatever. 

They were better. I hate when people cherry pick silly things to try to help their self esteem. 

Ok then I won't cherry pick either.. Bengals won division had a better overall record.. so they were better in regular season, assume since I did not cherry pick you would agree with this statement
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 05:27 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm still looking for the Bengals to lay a 40 burger on the Steelers.

Hmm...1988 and 2005 (well, got 38 that time) are your answers there.
Reply/Quote