Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do I Find Section 8 Housing Near Me?
I'm trying to help a pretty girl find an apartment near me that accepts Section 8 and a lot of results came up but I can't find where to look to see if they actually do.

Does anyone know?
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 12:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm trying to help a pretty girl find an apartment near me that accepts Section 8 and a lot of results came up but I can't find where to look to see if they actually do.

Does anyone know?

Call the Housing Authority of Covington to get in contact with a PHA. 

Phone: (859)292-2145

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
867-5309
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Drive around and look for the poor folk
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 12:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Call the Housing Authority of Covington to get in contact with a PHA. 

Phone: (859)292-2145

Do they control all of Kenton County?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 12:03 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Do they control all of Kenton County?

Doesn't really matter now does it? They obviously have more information about section 8 housing and the local market than you do now don't they? You might try sites like Zillow and others like it or mls.com where any real estate for sale or rent in your area should be listed..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 10:00 AM)grampahol Wrote: Doesn't really matter now does it? They obviously have more information about section 8 housing and the local market than you do now don't they? You might try sites like Zillow and others like it or mls.com where any real estate for sale or rent in your area should be listed..

Why do you gotta be an asshole?

Make you feel like a hard ass? Make you feel big?

You need that in your life?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 01:05 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Why do you gotta be an asshole?

Make you feel like a hard ass? Make you feel big?

You need that in your life?

He actually gave you a real answer and good information and you're the one slamming down on him because he used a sharp tone with you.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 03:34 PM)Stewy Wrote: He actually gave you a real answer and good information and you're the one slamming down on him because he used a sharp tone with you.

That's the point: the sharp tone was unnecessary and he was obviously just being a dick.  

His entire first two sentences were dick and very unnecessary.

Maybe they're busy and don't feel have time to just answer questions like that, and I can't speak anyways so what good would a phone number to a landline do me?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I use that exact same tone with my children when they refuse to try and learn anything for themselves and instead just demand other people do the research for them.

He was kind enough to give you the number.  If you had a question why not just call and ask for yourself?

Or give the number to the girl...

Why are you doing the work for her?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 12:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Why are you doing the work for her?

She is pretty.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 12:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Or give the number to the girl...

Why are you doing the work for her?

I did have her call but she didn't get anywhere besides for a "we'll call you back," which they haven't.

I'm doing a lot for her because she doesn't have the family support or anyone around her to help.

She's not stupid but she just doesn't know how to go about doing everything.  
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 05:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I did have her call but she didn't get anywhere besides for a "we'll call you back," which they haven't.

I'm doing a lot for her because she doesn't have the family support or anyone around her to help.

Quote:How to find houses for rent from owners who accept Section 8 vouchers | Trulia

Once you have a voucher, you need to find houses for rent by owners who accept Section 8. Many renters report that finding these landlords can be a challenge. And a study prepared for HUD reached the same conclusion. But Section 8 listings do exist in many cities, and one of the easiest ways to find them is with Trulia’s rental search.
  • Start by entering the city, neighborhood, or even a school you’d like to live near into the search bar.
  • Click on “more” near the top of the search results page.
  • Enter “Section 8” in the field labeled “keyword.”
  • Click “Search.” Your results will include all houses for rent by owners who accept Section 8 and include that fact in their listing.
As with all rental listings on Trulia, these listings will help you scope out the area before you even visit, using the Google Street View function, the amenities map showing places to eat and things to do nearby, plus see crime rates, commute times, and nearby schools. When you find a place you like, just fill out a rental application and include your Section 8 status.

When you click on the "More" button, you have to scroll down.....
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 08:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: When you click on the "More" button, you have to scroll down.....

THANKS!

Doesn't look like there's much around me, though........

Cry

I'll keep looking and see if there's anything else I can do!

I really want to help this girl out because I think it would change her life!
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 02:15 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Doesn't look like there's much around me, though........

From posts I've seen from you I guess you live in or around Crestview Hills.  Not stalking but based on your posts about going to Wing and Rings at the shopping center there.

Yeah, you probably are not going to find Section 8 housing in that area.  As you know Thomas More University is in that area, several medical centers, the shopping center and such.  That's a fairly high value area.   She is probably going to have to look outside of your local area.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 05:36 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: From posts I've seen from you I guess you live in or around Crestview Hills.  Not stalking but based on your posts about going to Wing and Rings at the shopping center there.

Yeah, you probably are not going to find Section 8 housing in that area.  As you know Thomas More University is in that area, several medical centers, the shopping center and such.  That's a fairly high value area.   She is probably going to have to look outside of your local area.  

Dayton.  No specific Dayton.  Either on should have no shortage of that variety of housing.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 05:36 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: From posts I've seen from you I guess you live in or around Crestview Hills.  Not stalking but based on your posts about going to Wing and Rings at the shopping center there.

I don't know how Section 8 works other than it being government aided.  I thought she said she paid half her rent and the government paid the other half, so I figured why wouldn't most places accept that?

Her apartment over in Southgate seemed bigger and nicer than a lot of apartments that I've been to in this area, so I figured it was worth a shot.  

I live on College Park next to Thomas More but on the other side of Turkeyfoot, so you're correct there.

I just wish there was something I could do to help this girl because her only friends are me, her cat, and her 90-year-old neighbor that's creepy as hell.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 07:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't know how Section 8 works other than it being government aided.  I thought she said she paid half her rent and the government paid the other half, so I figured why wouldn't most places accept that?

Her apartment over in Southgate seemed bigger and nicer than a lot of apartments that I've been to in this area, so I figured it was worth a shot.  

I live on College Park next to Thomas More but on the other side of Turkeyfoot, so you're correct there.

I just wish there was something I could do to help this girl because her only friends are me, her cat, and her 90-year-old neighbor that's creepy as hell.

Did a little more digging you might find this link of some help:

http://kyjustice.org/general-questions-about-subsidized-housing

Quote:There are two common kinds of Section 8. The first is tenant-based Section 8. Tenant based Section 8 gives you a "voucher" which can be used to rent any kind of housing (house, apartment or condominium) and with any landlord that is willing to accept it. If you receive a voucher, you then have to go look for a home yourself. There are time limits for finding a home and the voucher can expire if you do not find a home in time. If you find someplace you want to rent and the landlord is willing to accept your Section 8 voucher, you then notify Section 8. If the home meets housing quality standards, reasonable rent standards, and other program requirements, then Section 8 should accept the home you found. If you decide to move out of this type of Section 8, your voucher goes with you and you can look for a new home to rent.

Project-based Section 8 is a privately owned apartment complex where some or all of the units are for Section 8 tenants. If you move out of this type of Section 8, the voucher does not go with you.

If you don't know what kind of Section 8 you receive, contact the agency that approved you for Section 8.

So your if your friend has a voucher then she should contact the agency that approved it as they should be able to help her find a place as well as walk her through what she needs to do.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 07:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't know how Section 8 works other than it being government aided.  I thought she said she paid half her rent and the government paid the other half, so I figured why wouldn't most places accept that?

As to why they don't, we used to have apartments and houses we rented out. Section 8 was a hassle. First, you have to meet government standards (doorway requirements, electrical, etc). Then you have to wait on the government to send their portion. Politicians chanting for shutdowns? They really made people not want to depend on the government to make timely payments. And lastly, most of the renters didn't cover their portion (it's income based so it can be anywhere from a small percent to all of it).

I won't be a landlord again and if I did, no way would it be for low income housing.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 05:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I did have her call but she didn't get anywhere besides for a "we'll call you back," which they haven't.

well good luck to you both...

I had originally just came here to make a M*A*S*H joke but figured it was before your time. lol
Reply/Quote