Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do We Slow Down Kelce?
We know that we can't stop Kelce, so we just have to hope to contain him and slow him down, but how do we do that?

I'm amazed at how wide open he gets sometimes because it's just like "is no one covering him?"

Logan Wilson is an ex-defensive back and Von Bell is pretty solid at covering tight ends, so do we just double him with those two and dare them to beat us with JuJu and Scantling? I think single-covering him would be absolutely stupid and we should at least have Bell shadowing him with Wilson or someone else covering him.

Kelce always seems to find holes in zones, so that doesn't really sound like it would work, either.

Also, do we just need to establish the run and keep them off the field as much as possible? Hope Mixon's back and give him 25-30 carries?

I know that all teams try and slow him down, but what has worked and can we duplicate it?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 05:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We know that we can't stop Kelce, so we just have to hope to contain him and slow him down, but how do we do that?

I'm amazed at how wide open he gets sometimes because it's just like "is no one covering him?"

Logan Wilson is an ex-defensive back and Von Bell is pretty solid at covering tight ends, so do we just double him with those two and dare them to beat us with JuJu and Scantling? I think single-covering him would be absolutely stupid and we should at least have Bell shadowing him with Wilson or someone else covering him.

Kelce always seems to find holes in zones, so that doesn't really sound like it would work, either.

Also, do we just need to establish the run and keep them off the field as much as possible? Hope Mixon's back and give him 25-30 carries?

I know that all teams try and slow him down, but what has worked and can we duplicate it?

re watch last yrs games we played VS KC. I recall he was kept in check
Reply/Quote
Give him a Tre of Flowers
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Flood the zone with 7 defenders like they've had success doing. Take away those crossing routes he feasts on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 06:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Flood the zone with 7 defenders like they've had success doing. Take away those crossing routes he feasts on.

They are going to be expecting that. Im so interested to see what kind of adjustments KC comes out with to combat this. I suspect they may attack the flats more and really rely on running the ball.

This game is going to be a masterclass in adjustments from both sides. It'll be a chess match for sure. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 06:04 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Give him a Tre of Flowers

I forgot about Tre!

He does match up the best physically, but do you keep him on the field every play? Who do you take off the field?

Will Zac be smart enough to make sure that Lou does that?
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 06:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Flood the zone with 7 defenders like they've had success doing. Take away those crossing routes he feasts on.

There was no one within five or ten yards on him in a game where he scored on a crossing route recently and I couldn’t believe they left him that open.

Like yesterday, he caught it over the middle and looked like he made the entire team miss to score.
Reply/Quote
Mike Hilton.
Tre Flowers.
Dax Hill.

He won't be stopped outright, but I think we can contain him -- especially if CTB and Apple hold up at all against their receivers. If we're forced to help them out and we can't bracket Kelce then there might be a problem.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 06:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I forgot about Tre!

He does match up the best physically, but do you keep him on the field every play? Who do you take off the field?

Will Zac be smart enough to make sure that Lou does that?

Well, I forgot that they were forced to use him last season because ADG was injured for both matchups.

How good have our linebackers become over the years? Pratt in '19, Wilson, ADG and Bailey in '20. That's how you fix a problem position group. Attack it in the draft
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 06:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They are going to be expecting that. Im so interested to see what kind of adjustments KC comes out with to combat this. I suspect they may attack the flats more and really rely on running the ball.

This game is going to be a masterclass in adjustments from both sides. It'll be a chess match for sure. 

This.... KC was gashing us with the run game.  All they had to do was continue running the ball and they would of won.

Tough problem to solve but Lou seems to have an answer if we can keep it close going into the 2nd half.  CAN NOT get down like they did the first two games it's not a winning strategy 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Easy. Pull a Gillooly. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 06:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Easy. Pull a Gillooly. 
Funny.  That's exactly what I was thinking.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 06:24 PM)QueenCity Wrote: This.... KC was gashing us with the run game.  All they had to do was continue running the ball and they would of won.

Tough problem to solve but Lou seems to have an answer if we can keep it close going into the 2nd half.  CAN NOT get down like they did the first two games it's not a winning strategy 

Yes, they were. Lots of 2nd and 1 or 2 yards to go . . . but that was with the Bengals playing lots of DTs picked up off of the street in January and a still recovering Logan Wilson. That's not the case this year.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
It all goes back to mush rush and disguise coverages - making Mahomes read and diagnose after the snap (essentially eliminating the pre snap read) also makes Kelce less effective by making more of his stuff be quick outs. We also put a CB/S directly and tightly on him (Flowers).
Reply/Quote
They can't spot them 18 points again... I don't care how they've come back in the past, I can't see that working a 3rd time.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
keep Tre Flowers off the field. unless hes assigned a guy to cover wherever, he looks lost on the field trying to play zone.
Reply/Quote
Yes, you mush rush Mahomes and shadow Kelce with Flowers or whoever. Make sure you keep a Safety over the
top and Corners in the passing lanes and it really frustrates Mahomes. Tackle well when Kelce does get the ball.

I think this is the biggest reason most Defenses struggle against the Chiefs, poor tackling. I love how our Defense
is tackling right now.
Reply/Quote
Keep our offense on the field as much as possible. But you have to score TD's when you get down there.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 07:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Keep our offense on the field as much as possible. But you have to score TD's when you get down there.

This as well of course. Wink
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2022, 06:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: They can't spot them 18 points again... I don't care how they've come back in the past, I can't see that working a 3rd time.

Honestly it's not just last year's games against KC but a lot of our games this year we really seem to come into the game and wait and see what the other team is doing. How many games this year have we given up a decent amount of yards and points in the first half only to adjust and hold the team in check in the 2nd?

I really expect this game to be no different as far as the Chiefs scoring well/easily to start the game. I also don't think we can plan on holding them in the 2nd half like we did previously. This will definitely be a big part of there focus coming in to this game that they have to finish. I think in order for us to win we need to start strong offensively and hopefully with Chase back and a couple weeks of practice he can contribute to help sustain drives as well as having Mixon back hopefully.

I think Mahommes comes into the game with a chip on his shoulder and this will be the real revenge game of the last 2 weeks. I'm also nervous with Dunlap coming back. I've always been a Dunlap fan but of all the past player storylines of a player wanting revenge I see it the most true with Dunlap.
Reply/Quote