Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How Much do you Trust Nugent?
(10-05-2015, 03:00 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: No 70% is actually a little low... I would trust him about 80% of the time.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8461/mike-nugent

confidence rating is different from accuracy.

If there is a game where he needs to hit a 45 yard field goal to send it into overtime or win the game, you are seriously comfortable with an 80% chance that he makes that kick?

He is decent when he's adding on, but in clutch scenarios, I don't trust him at all.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 02:43 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 70% is pretty damn high if you ask me.

I'd give him a 49% confidence rating.

He almost missed an extra point yesterday.

There are so many Soccer players out there. Why we can't find a competent kicker is beyond me.

I don't get it either.  Think of all the soccer players and all the college kickers there are... how can it be that difficult to find someone capable.

As for Nugent, I don't trust him at all.  Tell me if this team is in Foxboro in January, down by two with 45 seconds on the clock, anyone is going to feel good about Nugent walking onto the field?  No way...
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 03:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: this aint rugby

I know, kicking is easier in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 03:21 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I don't really trust him at all.  When you have to hold your breath when the kicker is doing his job, there is an issue.

He's not completely horrible, but he's not as reliable as I'd like.

Same here - he also did not kick off very good yesterday.
Reply/Quote
He should have been gone after he cost us the win versus Carolina last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 03:59 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: As for Nugent, I don't trust him at all.  Tell me if this team is in Foxboro in January, down by two with 45 seconds on the clock, anyone is going to feel good about Nugent walking onto the field?  No way...

Man, that mad me shiver.  Don't scare people like that.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I've never been a big Nugent fan. Part of it was probably people going nuts in 2010 that we signed an OSU player. I usually hold my breath when he kicks the ball.

There are two issues that I take when it comes to him. The first one is that we don't seem to bring in any competition for him during the offseason. I mean the second we signed Obarski after the draft, Hobson immediately wrote how Obarski was simply here to give Nugent a break during camp. I truly don't understand why they won't push this guy. Seriously, Josh Brown comes in during 2012 season and kicks us to the playoffs. How do we reward the guy? We offer up a small deal that Nugent jumps on because he probably won't get this kind of job security from any other team.

The second issue is the answer as to why they probably will never cut him. Nugent grew up a Bengals fan. How many times do we have to hear this? I know Hobson mentioned it at least twice last season. Any time Nugent struggles, that gets brought up as to why he sticks around. AJ Hawk is another example of this to me. The guy is nothing special out there, but he went to OSU and grew up a Bengals fan. It seems like something that Mike Brown would use to justify keeping a player around.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I didn't want to bring this up, Im glad someone else did but I honestly don't have much faith in him.

I hate it too as he's a super nice guy and Im sure a favorite of Mike Brown as he's an OSU alum. The last meaningful kick I remember him making was the walk off winner inside at Detroit a couple of years ago.

I said several years back we got rid of the wrong kicker when we let Josh Brown walk.

Im hope he proves me wrong but I don't have much faith in a clutch long field goal off his foot.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I think kicker is one area that could really be an issue later in the season if we are in a tight game that is decided by 3 points or less. Hopefully it does not come to that with the way the offense is playing but it could. Nugent has me worried because I think he has the weakest leg in the league and he consistently cannot even kick a touchback and that does worry me. He is pretty solid from within 40 yards or less but if the attempt is from 41 yards or more then it is iffy at best. I get nervous every time he tries an attempt over 40 yards because he is just not accurate from that range. I know a lot of people like him because he played at OSU and I do like him but I am just not sold on him being a great kicker for us. I wish we had a kicker like Justin Tucker because he is near perfect from kicks between 45-50 yards and he can kick it with ease from 50-55 yards which is what we are definitely missing. I just feel that Nugent is only here because of the loyalty that the front office and Marvin have for their players. If he continues to regress like he has I think we seriously need to take a strong look at another kicker in the offseason because we need someone that has a strong leg and is accurate and can be trusted. At this point I am not sure if it is a mental thing or not with Nugent but he just cannot be 100 percent trusted when kicking a field goal and even an extra point which could hurt us later. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
I still want Josh Brown. Didnt like the decision then, like it even less now.He is 10/10 for the Giants with a 50 yarder in there. 8/9 xps (had to look it up). Nuge is 3/5 fg, 14/15 xps
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Enough to kidnap Robbie Gould and throw a Nugent jersey on him.

I don't trust him at all, and battling for a division title and first-round bye, it's going to come down to your kicker at some point. And, he'll be our guy when it's all riding on one kick.

Shit.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 02:26 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: I think he's pretty solid.  But "trust" is a difficult thing when you're talking about a kicker.

I will say this, earlier in the year I remember him talking about how upset he was that they moved the extra point back.  This indicated to me that he didn't trust himself so naturally I made a mental note of that to myself at the time.

I don't know why that indicated to you that he didn't trust himself. Any kicker that kicks in Northern open stadiums would be upset. Their stats are automatically going to be worse in the November, December and January games than the kickers kicking in Domes or in San Diego where it's 75 degrees.  How upset do you think a pro athlete in any sport would be given the same disadvantage?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 03:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: confidence rating is different from accuracy.

If there is a game where he needs to hit a 45 yard field goal to send it into overtime or win the game, you are seriously comfortable with an 80% chance that he makes that kick?

He is decent when he's adding on, but in clutch scenarios, I don't trust him at all.

What's the average success rate for an NFL kicker at 45 yards? 
Reply/Quote
been saying we need an upgrade for years, our loyalty to an inconsistent kicker is funny. There are much better free agent kickers out there
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2015, 10:28 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: What's the average success rate for an NFL kicker at 45 yards? 

Are you a politician?
Reply/Quote
I agree with the majority here, Nugent is fine when the kick doesn't count for anything in particular. However, when it is important or pivotal, my confidence level is pretty low..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Pittsburgh is on their 4th kicker this year and we're entering week 5.
There's really not alot of good options out there at this point. And there aren't alot of consistent kickers actually in the #1 spot on NFL rosters right now. I've seen so many misses this year. A good kicker - that has to be the fastest way into the NFL right now.
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
Is there a college kicker who is a good bet for the NFL? Unlike other positions you can pretty much tell whether a kicker is going to be good in the NFL coming out of college. He either splits the uprights or doesn't. It isn't like RB or WR where a 4th rounder can be lights out while a 1st rounder fizzles.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
http://walterfootball.com/draft2016K.php
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Clutch kickers 1989-2014.

"The definition of "clutch field goals" we are using here is any field goal in the final two minutes or overtime that either ties the game or gives a team the lead."

[Image: Nugent_zpsxomj6sam.jpg]

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/best-clutch-kicker-ever

I wouldn't worry too hard, yet.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote