Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How SHOULD Chase be used in the offense?
(09-05-2021, 11:19 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't know if you know all you need to know from any rookie. If Chase is struggling mentally with the speed of the game then he could've used some playing time. 

Yep. But what he really could've used was playing time in 2020. It's all fine and good to think you have nothing left to prove ala Fournette and Clowney (who both mused about sitting out their junior seasons), but missing a calendar year of playing is essentially the same as being out with an injury. Its going to take Ja'Marr some time to get rolling, but I think eventually he will.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 11:39 PM)jason Wrote: Yep. But what he really could've used was playing time in 2020. It's all fine and good to think you have nothing left to prove ala Fournette and Clowney (who both mused about sitting out their junior seasons), but missing a calendar year of playing is essentially the same as being out with an injury. Its going to take Ja'Marr some time to get rolling, but I think eventually he will.

If a player like Chase was recovering from an injury it might be different story for pre-season play time.  He's a rookie just like everyone else.  He needs reps.  He's rusty and looked like crap.  At first most fans thought that was because of lousy QB play.  After realizing that wasn't the only factor people wanted to see him out there more.  Fans would have had a completely different attitude towards Zac's handling of Chase if he actually would've had some good flashes.  I totally disagree with "the same people would've torched Taylor for leaving Chase in longer" statement that was posted.  If he looked good in limited play that would've been accurate.  I believe Chase will get through this but babying his ass is a weak move by Zac in my opinion.  It only adds up to more reasons I think he's in over his head.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 11:39 PM)jason Wrote: Yep. But what he really could've used was playing time in 2020. It's all fine and good to think you have nothing left to prove ala Fournette and Clowney (who both mused about sitting out their junior seasons), but missing a calendar year of playing is essentially the same as being out with an injury. Its going to take Ja'Marr some time to get rolling, but I think eventually he will.

He could've done nothing but hurt his stock if he played in 2020. The 5th pick was probably his ceiling I mean if he plays and plays extremely well maybe Atlanta takes him over Pitts but it doesn't seem likely. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 08:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: If a player like Chase was recovering from an injury it might be different story for pre-season play time.  He's a rookie just like everyone else.  He needs reps.  He's rusty and looked like crap.  At first most fans thought that was because of lousy QB play.  After realizing that wasn't the only factor people wanted to see him out there more.  Fans would have had a completely different attitude towards Zac's handling of Chase if he actually would've had some good flashes.  I totally disagree with "the same people would've torched Taylor for leaving Chase in longer" statement that was posted.  If he looked good in limited play that would've been accurate.  I believe Chase will get through this but babying his ass is a weak move by Zac in my opinion.  It only adds up to more reasons I think he's in over his head.

You perhaps wouldn’t have torched him for it, but I’ve been around this board for far too long and I know exactly how it would’ve gone if zac left chase in and then he got hurt.

But again, I think you and most folks make a great point that I can’t argue which is that chase needs reps. I definitely agree with you all, and was absolutely yelling at my tv when the 1s left game three after those three plays and he didn’t come back out. I wanted to see more for sure. But on the flip side, I am absolutely confident we see chase come out the gates looking great against Minnesota. Im also well aware that should chase play poorly, this will be quoted. Dudes just so talented, it’s a decent bet!
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2021, 09:35 PM)Tony Wrote: Chase is fine. Let him get in the flow of the game. He should've played more in pre season though. I don't like how Zack handled that at all...

Flow? Dude was fifth overall. If he doesn't have the flow, he should've been later.

I don't get blaming the HC for a guy not being able to perform his major job duty. Fifth overall qb, he'd be expected to throw missiles. Fifth overall corner, guy would be expected to be an island. Fifth overall and a receiver, were making excuses?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 08:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Man, usually this is the time of year where we are talking about how some undrafted WR who will end his NFL career with roughly zero catches could be "UNCOVERABLE" and now we're wondering how we can get our 5th overall pick rookie WR to catch anything.

It just don't add up.

REP!

Rock On
Reply/Quote
It's the ball's fault!

"Chase also referenced adjusting to catching the bigger ball the NFL uses that also has different markings."

Perhaps the Bengals could call Tom Brady to get some help with that problem.
Reply/Quote
It's kinda funny that a thread specifically stated to be about using Chase schematically got sidetracked into the usual debates about drops and whether he is good and such. The point was about how Chase would best be used in the offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Deep Threat. He isn't Kyle Pitts, you aren't gonna use him shallow effectively.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 10:50 AM)Joelist Wrote: It's kinda funny that a thread specifically stated to be about using Chase schematically got sidetracked into the usual debates about drops and whether he is good and such. The point was about how Chase would best be used in the offense.

I think for some people the drop problem was directly related to the "how to use" question.  

For example some claimed he should not be used over the middle of the field or as a short possession receiver because of his problems with drops.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 06:23 PM)Joelist Wrote: A better (and less antagonistic to other forum posters) question than the "regret" or "bust" stuff is how should he be used in the offense?

My understanding of why we took him was he has the tools to stretch a defense vertically, leading to more running room and less defenses sitting on the run and the short routes. So they should be playing him at X and calling the appropriate posts and other deeper routes to leverage his strong points.

For some strange reason, in preseason games they constantly sent him on shallow routes that were frequently in the middle. The only time they actually let him get into space (albeit in the backfield) he gained 16 yards - all the others were in traffic. That and pulling not only him but the first team offense way too fast in all three game means they are still rusty going into games that count.

he should be the 3rd WR behind Boyd and Higgins in targets till his catch % goes way up.

as far as the drops go...

Hes paid to catch footballs  where ever he is on the field should not matter 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2021, 10:29 PM)Benton Wrote: Flow? Dude was fifth overall. If he doesn't have the flow, he should've been later.

I don't get blaming the HC for a guy not being able to perform his major job duty. Fifth overall qb, he'd be expected to throw missiles. Fifth overall corner, guy would be expected to be an island. Fifth overall and a receiver, were making excuses?

He sat out a full season. I definitely think Zack should've left him play longer in the preseason games as he's rusty from not playing for almost 2 years..
Reply/Quote