Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How about AJ McCarron
(01-11-2016, 06:20 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: All you have is a shitty passer rating. It doesn't mean anything when he can't move the ball down the field. He can't get yards. He can't lead a loaded offense down the field. The Bengals offense was #4 in PPG and when McCarron came in it went to #28. McCarron only got 2 first downs the first half. TWO! That's just pathetic against the 30th rated bass defense. Passer rating doesn't mean a damn thing when you can't move the ball.

You said this earlier.  I said he moved the ball down the field 3x in the 4th quarter when it mattered most.

You can't say that someone "Can't do X" and then I point out that he did "X" 3x in a pressure moment and then you keep claiming that he "can't do X."

It's totally bizarre.  
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:32 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: If McCarron could actually move the ball we would have won. It's hilarious to me that the absolute horrible play of McCarron is getting swept under the rug due to the total meltdown at the end of the game. McCarron had 2 first downs in the first half. He fumbled the ball 3 times, and he threw an INT and could have easily had more if the Pittsburgh defense didn't drop the INTs. He couldn't convert on 3rd down like all year, and he couldn't get any points unless he had amazing field possession. The offense looked like a college teams offense came on the field.

Goddam it.  He did move the ball.  He put what should have been the winning points on the board.  Are you being dense or just purely argumentative?  Talk about obsessed.  You're being the I'll be damned if I let anybody say anything good about the guy for what seems like no valid reason.  I'm done with this crap.  Hate away, for shit sake.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:32 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: If McCarron could actually move the ball we would have won. It's hilarious to me that the absolute horrible play of McCarron is getting swept under the rug due to the total meltdown at the end of the game. McCarron had 2 first downs in the first half. He fumbled the ball 3 times, and he threw an INT and could have easily had more if the Pittsburgh defense didn't drop the INTs. He couldn't convert on 3rd down like all year, and he couldn't get any points unless he had amazing field possession. The offense looked like a college teams offense came on the field.

Yeah, well I've seen worse games by starters in good weather so he did a decent job overall, even if you are unwilling to acknowledge that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:35 PM)BigSeph Wrote: You said this earlier.  I said he moved the ball down the field 3x in the 4th quarter when it mattered most.

You can't say that someone "Can't do X" and then I point out that he did "X" 3x in a pressure moment and then you keep claiming that he "can't do X."

It's totally bizarre.  

It truly is bizarre.  A vendetta, apparently.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:22 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: If you think McCarron did decent in that playoff game you might want to go to a doctor. There has to be something wrong with anyones brain who thinks that.

He did better in his 1st playoff game (his 4th overall start) than Andy Dalton has ever done in any of his playoff games.

Would you say Dalton has ever had a "decent" playoff game or do you need your head examined?  
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:35 PM)BigSeph Wrote: You said this earlier.  I said he moved the ball down the field 3x in the 4th quarter when it mattered most.

It's totally bizarre.  

He didn't move the ball down the field in the 4th quarter. It was great field position, and a PI call.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:37 PM)BigSeph Wrote: He did better in his 1st playoff game (his 4th overall start) than Andy Dalton has ever done in any of his playoff games.

Would you say Dalton has ever had a "decent" playoff game or do you need your head examined?  

If Dalton had the players play like they did in this last playoff game it wouldn't even be close.
Reply/Quote

It's totally bizarre.  

And most of those drives started with great field position from the Defense i believe.

McCarron and the offense moved the ball. He played much better in the 4th than the rest of the game for sure.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:25 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I'm blown away by the amount of people that say McCarron throws a better deep ball than Dalton. Dalton is near the top of the league when it comes to the deep ball. McCarron throws a bunch of wobblers and floaters. He had 1 or 2 good deep balls against Pittsburgh and that's it. Dalton gets crushed if he underthrows anyone. McCarron does it with frequency.

The best argument that could be made for McCarron might be intermediate throws. Even those are high and leave the WR out to dry. People constantly bitched about how Andy was going to get a receiver killed by throwing high. McCarron does it and everyone talks about how he's on his way to being great.

That's where people can't get their head out of their ass. I like McCarron. I thought he played pretty well for being an inexperienced backup. That's where it ends though. McCarron's "fan boys" (I hate these dumbass terms) prop McCarron up with the same things they tear Dalton down with. That's where a lot of Dalton "fan boys" have their issue. It's not with McCarron's play, it's that there are 2 completely different sets of standards. Dalton underthrow = ZOMG teh worst QB evas!!!!!11!! McCarron underthrow = amazeballs deep ball! trade the ginger! That's where people have a problem.

I think it would be best if you could just find a comment by an AJ "fanboy" where they rip on Andy for X, and then give AJ a pass for X.

It seems you are hunting rats with a gatling gun here.

You are failing to distinguish between those who incessantly criticize Andy vs. those who are giving AJM his props for a gutty playoff performance.  They are not all the same people.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I don't think McCarron looked that good the first 3 quarters. The game was tough to watch, but you have to give the kid some credit for that fourth quarter. He got lucky on that floater to Green that gave us the lead, but he looked in control. He was making good decisions and helped bring us back. McCarron stepped up when he was needed most. There's no real debate about that.

Now if he and the rest of the offense were more effective the first 3 quarters, that would've been ideal.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:37 PM)McC Wrote: It truly is bizarre.  A vendetta, apparently.

Just common sense
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:37 PM)BigSeph Wrote: He did better in his 1st playoff game (his 4th overall start) than Andy Dalton has ever done in any of his playoff games.

Dalton has never had all his toys on the field for a playoff game... The 1 he did they were mostly rookies We blew the SD game between the turnovers and the defensive flop...

I will say... Guethers D shows up in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:39 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: He didn't move the ball down the field in the 4th quarter. It was great field position, and a PI call.

I think you are using a unique version of "move the ball down the field" then.

No, McCarron failed to produce any 99 yard drives with all 99 yards coming on pass attempts.  By this rationale no QB in the NFL "moves the ball down the field" more than once or twice in their careers.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:42 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Just common sense

Bullshit.  You left that about ten posts ago.   You are, frankly, off the beam on this.

Reply/Quote
McCarron's press conference tells it all. Kid has a good future in the NFL.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/McCarron_Postgame_News_Conference/4b466266-7d37-4ca0-a774-c13aff472ebc

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 02:02 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yep, and what I noticed was that his play elevated in the second half. That's something new from a Bengals QB in the playoffs. Scored more points last night in the second half than the last 4 playoff teams combined.

It's because they were playing against the 30th ranked pass defense. Dude just chucked up some jump balls. One got INT, one got a PI, and one got caught and a missed tackle made a TD. He also missed a lot of wide open people 10 or so yards away by like 2-3 yards. Made the OL look terrible by holding onto the ball too long.

Bengals have never had that good of a defensive showing in the playoffs, which is the key point of the game, not the 4 turnover offense that was passing at 5.17 YPA.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dalton has never had all his toys on the field for a playoff game...   The 1 he did they were mostly rookies  We blew the SD game between the turnovers and the defensive flop...

I will say...  Guethers D shows up in the playoffs.

It did once.  Fifty percent ain't bad, I guess.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:41 PM)BigSeph Wrote: I think it would be best if you could just find a comment by an AJ "fanboy" where they rip on Andy for X, and then give AJ a pass for X.

It seems you are hunting rats with a gatling gun here.

You are failing to distinguish between those who incessantly criticize Andy vs. those who are giving AJM his props for a gutty playoff performance.  They are not all the same people.

I never said they were the same. I said the so called "fan boys" that everyone loves to talk about. FACT: Dalton gets ripped for his deep ball even though he's near the top of the league every year. FACT: People in this thread and multiple others keep saying McCarron has a better deep ball when it's simply not true. He throws floaters. Dalton gets blown up if he throws a floater, but people say McCarron has a better deep ball when most are underthrown floaters.

As for McCarron, I said in the post you quoted as well as many others that I thought McCarron played well. I think he's going to be a good backup. Hardly seems like I am "hunting rats with a gatling gun here".

Instead of only recognizing McCarron criticism, read the rest of the post.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:44 PM)Stormborn Wrote: We gonna put him on a pedestal for a 68 passer rating?

credit where credit's due, the TD to A.J. was the best play as a pocket passer I've seen from him yet, but, the dude wasn't good for the majority of the game.

Neither was Roethlisberger.

Dalton's postseason quarterback ratings

2014 63.4
2013 67.0
2012 44.7
2011 51.4

Avg.  57.8

McCarron's postseason quarterback rating

68.3 in lousy weather conditions
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 06:44 PM)BengalChris Wrote: McCarron's press conference tells it all. Kid has a good future in the NFL.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/McCarron_Postgame_News_Conference/4b466266-7d37-4ca0-a774-c13aff472ebc

The AJ hater brigade will be around directly to debunk this.

Reply/Quote