Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can you justify NOT starting AJ McCarron the rest of the season?
(11-06-2017, 11:13 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How can you justify it?

At this point, us and the Bengals know what we have in Dalton. Andy has reached his potential and his ceiling is somewhere between below average (when he has a bad offensive line and offense) to above average (when everything on the offense is perfect).

So, why not start McCarron and see what you have in the guy? See if hes the answer at quarterback and see if hes an upgrade over Dalton. The season is all but over (no way this team is good enough to make the playoffs).

It depends on if the Bengals want Dalton to be their guy going forward. If there's doubt, take the chance on McCarron. If Dalton is to be the starter next year, no reason to switch him out. Let Dalton establish more rapport with the WRs not named Green and LaFell in that case.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Simple:
Bengals should be seeking to maximize the value of both Dalton and McCarron. Playing McCarron sinks his value when people see exactly how limited his skill set is.
Dalton has so much experience playing him wont hurt his value but can help it if he strings together a few good stat games late in the year.

Hide McCarron. Try to get some pick out of him this winter.
Try to elevate Dalton and get a pick out of him this spring.

Not difficult.
With Dalton's contract, you are easily looking at a first round pick for him via trade.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 04:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You people over value draft picks. 

AJM was a draft pick at one point and you have no idea what you have in him. Who cares if we miss out on a second round pick. Im willing to make that gamble in order to find a reliable QB. Its not like we played out draft picks anyway. 

The Bengals have a lot of holes to fill, hello o-line, and an extra 2nd round pick looks better to me than taking a risk on a 5th round QB pick that most likely won't solve a thing with the Bengals given the problems with the rest of the team. Considering that the Bengals tend to do most of their team building through the draft and do very little through signing free agents and trades, those picks are valuable IMO.  Had the Browns deal gone through it would have been the best possible situation for the Bengals regarding AJ.  Bad for him being on the Browns but great for us.

I'd rather take the more likely chance of the 2nd round pick than taking my car for a drive and having the transmission possibly blow out and get nothing in return.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Well if you put your evaluation glasses on my friend.  You'd see how suck ass our line is.

Not one guy.  Not two guys.

MULTIPLE guys sucking ass more than any O-Line here has sucked ass in a long time.

Is AJ Mac gonna block too?

I mean.  Guys are getting through practically unblocked.

This is not a matter of sticking in the pocket or stepping up.

The Center doesn't know who to block and gets bowled over often.

You're going to put a LESS mobile QB in there?

Okay.  Coach.  Put the messiah in there.  :andy:
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

At this point, us and the Bengals know what we have in Dalton. Andy has reached his potential and his ceiling is somewhere between below average (when he has a bad offensive line and offense) to above average (when everything on the offense is perfect).

So, why not start McCarron and see what you have in the guy? See if hes the answer at quarterback and see if hes an upgrade over Dalton. The season is all but over (no way this team is good enough to make the playoffs).
If they are willing to see what they've got, playing AJM will only diminish his trade value (piss-poor line play). So IMO the best QB to try the rest of the season is  Driskel (sp?) He at least has height, can run (for his life), and throws a decent pass. This would clarify the upcoming draft a bit.

But, we all know Mikey and Marvy will do nothing.
Reply/Quote
Really this is all Daltons fault? Some people don't really understand the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Focus on the quarterback position in Cincinnati is totally and completely misplaced. You can put Andy Dalton, AJ McCarron, Jeff Driskel, or Johnny Unitas back from the dead behind the current offensive line and you’ll get the same mishuganah result: Bupkis!

We’re getting past “try Akili Smith or David Klingler” territory and accelerating toward becoming the Cleveland Browns.

Get a grip.
Reply/Quote
I hope AJ can block for himself, while getting open on routes, while throwing passes all while not letting the defense convert on third and longs...

I need to check out his draft profile...I know he was good in college, so he SHOULD be able to do all that.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
This thread is aids
Reply/Quote

Because he's clearly not better. Weaker arm, less mobility, couldn't duplicate Dalton's success with the same team in '15. 

Change for the sake of change is a bad idea. If your sole purpose is to watch the team look worse, make the change at QB.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:57 AM)Goalpost Wrote: No need to beat up McCarron on this.  In limited play, his regular season stats and playoff stats are actually slightly better than Andy's.  I'm not going to post them, but look them up.

You, nor anyone else is going to post them, because they're not. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 09:29 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Really this is all Daltons fault?  Some people don't really understand the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who said it was Dalton's fault? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 07:32 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well if you put your evaluation glasses on my friend.  You'd see how suck ass our line is.

Not one guy.  Not two guys.

MULTIPLE guys sucking ass more than any O-Line here has sucked ass in a long time.

Is AJ Mac gonna block too?

I mean.  Guys are getting through practically unblocked.

This is not a matter of sticking in the pocket or stepping up.

The Center doesn't know who to block and gets bowled over often.

You're going to put a LESS mobile QB in there?

Okay.  Coach.  Put the messiah in there.  :andy:

The thing is, the line is so bad, teams are getting pressure off only 4 rushers, stuffing the run with them, and dropping the rest into coverage.  It's pathetic.  I've never seen a unit so utterly disgraceful in my over 30 years being affiliated with football.....at ANY level.  I've seen 8 year old developmental squads with a better grasp of the game.  These guys are TRASH, and it starts with their horrid position coach who is a leftover from the DAVE SHULA ERA......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Simple. We're not out of the playoff race (even though, objectively, unless the OL magically transforms into Munoz-clones, there's no way we're making the playoffs) and Dalton gives us the best chance to win.

Putting McCarron in, while not necessarily a bad idea (if he's as good as some people think), basically signals that you're giving up on the rest of the season. Lewis may as well just resign now, if he thinks about starting AJM without an injury to Dalton.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 02:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: The thing is, the line is so bad, teams are getting pressure off only 4 rushers, stuffing the run with them, and dropping the rest into coverage.  It's pathetic.  I've never seen a unit so utterly disgraceful in my over 30 years being affiliated with football.....at ANY level.  I've seen 8 year old developmental squads with a better grasp of the game.  These guys are TRASH, and it starts with their horrid position coach who is a leftover from the DAVE SHULA ERA......

This is even worse than i thought. Haven't been able to watch the games just highlights and Goodberry breakdowns.

Has looked bad but i thought they were improving atleast in pass protection. How can anyone blame Dalton with this crap going on?

And then go and say we should start AJ fricking McCarron as a solution?
Reply/Quote
Believe the O-line is trying to grant your wish and get AJM in as quickly as possible.

Because they certainly are not protecting anybody.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Why does so many have a death wish for AJM ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 02:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is even worse than i thought. Haven't been able to watch the games just highlights and Goodberry breakdowns.

Has looked bad but i thought they were improving atleast in pass protection. How can anyone blame Dalton with this crap going on?

And then go and say we should start AJ fricking McCarron as a solution?

They're essentially running stunts and twists, and these guys aren't picking up on it.  If you just blitz ONE guy, you basically guarantee a free rusher.  It's been bad.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 02:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: They're essentially running stunts and twists, and these guys aren't picking up on it.  If you just blitz ONE guy, you basically guarantee a free rusher.  It's been bad.

Well, atleast here i could see this mostly being coaching asking the young guys to do more complicated things instead
of what they are already okay at. Not like these guys don't have the size and athleticism to do these things but it sounds
like the coaches are asking too much of them at this point.

Especially with Blodine at Center.

All i can hope is after the season we move on from all these coaches, probably won't happen but this is my biggest hope.

A good coach could get something out of these guys and some early round draft picks next year.

Really liked what Jim O said about the coaching staff, all of their contracts are up after this year and all will be looked at.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2017, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, atleast here i could see this mostly being coaching asking the young guys to do more complicated things instead
of what they are already okay at. Not like these guys don't have the size and athleticism to do these things but it sounds
like the coaches are asking too much of them at this point.

Especially with Blodine at Center.

All i can hope is after the season we move on from all these coaches, probably won't happen but this is my biggest hope.

A good coach could get something out of these guys and some early round draft picks next year.

Really liked what Jim O said about the coaching staff, all of their contracts are up after this year and all will be looked at.

I don't see how Son of Paul could objectively look at Piano Man and retain his services.  If he does, I may just throw in the towel.

Reply/Quote