Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we beat Pittsburgh
Besides the obvious of scoring more points than them.

I thought about this after I'm sure about everybody thought we would attack Chicago by going deep early and often and for whatever reason we didn't test them until the 2nd half.

Just curious what people think should be our strategy going into this game and what they'd like to see out of the Bengals.

After seeing how the Raiders won I was thinking we would have to beat them thru the air. But with the injury to Higgins and him possibly not playing I'm thinking this is gonna be a tight game. We need to protect Burrow and I'd like to see us go max protect and really try and give Burrow time. We may need to lean on Mixon and the running backs but I'd like to see the RBs and TEs used in the passing game.

Defensively stop the run and get after Roethlisberger. Dontae Johnson may not play either so if that's the case that really helps our secondary.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 12:02 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Besides the obvious of scoring more points than them.

I thought about this after I'm sure about everybody thought we would attack Chicago by going deep early and often and for whatever reason we didn't test them until the 2nd half.

Just curious what people think should be our strategy going into this game and what they'd like to see out of the Bengals.

After seeing how the Raiders won I was thinking we would have to beat them thru the air. But with the injury to Higgins and him possibly not playing I'm thinking this is gonna be a tight game. We need to protect Burrow and I'd like to see us go max protect and really try and give Burrow time. We may need to lean on Mixon and the running backs but I'd like to see the RBs and TEs used in the passing game.

Defensively stop the run and get after Roethlisberger. Dontae Johnson may not play either so if that's the case that really helps our secondary.

Will come down to many games we had with pitt. Turnovers and keep it out Ben's hands for last drive FG or TD 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't think the Steelers offense is going to be carrying any game for them this year. So as long as the Bengals offense can score a couple TDs and not have 4 turnovers then the defense should take care of their side of the game. It might not take much for the offense to win. 17?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Just like last year, we need an ugly game. The Steelers looked terrible because our D whooped them. If we can make this a low scoring defensive game, I like our chances.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
It will come down to can ZT come up with an offensive game plan that keeps Joe vertical and gets 24 points on the board. I think the defense will rise to the occasion (again) but if we see a series of three-and-outs and gutless plays, we will lose the energy and end up losing the game.
Reply/Quote
Beating the Pittsburgh Steelers will depend on the Bengals’ defense because the offense has yet to find any kind of identity or rhythm. If Lou Anarumo can concoct a plan to limit Najee Harris and keep constant pressure on The Pig, the Bengals will have a chance to win.

Also, I’ve noticed the Bengals have had success against the Steelers when they play physically and forget about finesse football. To beat Pittsburgh you have to out-thug them for all four quarters, never ever play prevent defense, and just keep punching.
Reply/Quote
There's only one way to beat the Steelers....

[Image: ryan_finley_teeth.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals have to score 1st and
Often. If the Bengals stall inside the red zone
Then all.they can produce is 3 pts thats
Not good enough to win. If it is back and forth
Game the Steelers win easily.
ZT has proven he cant produce wins in games
Decided by 7 pts or less.
It's really going to have to be a case of complimentry
Football in all 3 phases.

Offensivy Id go uptempo, no.huddle. More 12 personel
More bootleg out of pocket throws for JB.
Id target the TEs more just to give those LBers
More responsibility.
Screen passes Id call 3 to 5 times. It will help
Slow up Ingram and Watt.

Defensively they have to lock down Claypool
He is due for a big outing.
Limit the yardage on 1st 2nd down force
Ben to convert 3rd and longs
Send Hilton off the.edge and accelerate Bens clock.
Pratt needs a big game. He cant allow to be
Juked in space again. ADG needs more plays.
But Lou needs to blitz from all angles.
Reply/Quote
The game is at Heinz Field, so they have to come right out of the gate and take their heart. If the Defense can shut them down and the offense gets off to a quick start, half the stools in the stands will leave or pass out drunk. Run the ball with Mixon and take the shots with Chase.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 08:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The game is at Heinz Field, so they have to come right out of the gate and take their heart. If the Defense can shut them down and the offense gets off to a quick start, half the stools in the stands will leave or pass out drunk. Run the ball with Mixon and take the shots with Chase.

I agree with most of this analysis.  I do think the offense needs to come out and drive it down the field and score TD's.  

You don't win games in Pittsburgh kicking field goals.  Drives can't stall at the 10 and 15 yard lines of the Stoolers.  

I think our defense is finally good enough to win in Pittsburgh, but I don't think our play calling on offensive is good enough to win. 

To win in Pittsburgh, you have to control the clock with the running game.  Most of our wins in Pittsburgh in recent memory we've had good running games to keep the offense balanced.  Our offensive line isn't good enough to depend on it to hold up and hope Burrow can throw the ball 45 times for 450 yards.   They aren't good enough to open holes and keep a drive alive by allowing the running game to control the game. 

So they need to be successful on 1st and 2nd down.  Create 3rd and short.  This team doesn't do well in 3&5+ downs.  

I think you also have to play field position.  That go for it on 4&2 on your own 30 yard line ain't gonna cut it playing in Pitt.  

Personally, as I said in the prediction thread, I think the Bengals get their asses handed to them this week but I really do hope they prove me wrong. 
Reply/Quote
Steelers run defense is good, but their pass defense is suspect.
Their running game is not good (last in the league in yards, only 1 ground TD).
So I expect both teams will have to turn to the passing game.

If Johnson doesn't play, that's a blow to the Steelers for sure.
He's been their best receiver by far.
It would have to lean on Claypool, JJSS, and their TEs (Ebron and Freiermuth) to carry the load.

I know I previously said Steelers 24-14, but I didn't realize at the time that Johnson was hurt.
So I think this game ends up being closer than I thought it would.
I think it will be a 4-point differential, and I think turnovers will play the biggest role.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Put a Star Trek force field around Joe Burrow! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I have no idea why we didn't attack Chicago's secondary until late in the game I read that was their weak spot? at this point I'd just like to see Burrow not get sacked as much then hopefully he can feel more comfortable in the pocket.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 12:02 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Besides the obvious of scoring more points than them.

F' 11 personnel and go with two TEs or an extra OT. Run the ball at every opportunity. Throw deep when they start to crowd up on defense to stop the run. With DL their banged up our OL should be able to get to the LBers and create some room to run.

Pressure Rottensberger from everywhere and anywhere.

This is a winnable game, but not if our HC is wearing his Los Angeles pink panties. It's time for some good old fashion AFC North football.

Reply/Quote
If we only knew the last 2 decades would have been much different.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Cashier's check.
Reply/Quote
No empty backfield nonsense. Roll Burrow out, use movement, also have him under center and don't telegraph the play. Have the TE and back helping block more than going out to catch and send the WRs deeper. Complete downfield balls and Pitt will have to back off the LOS a bit.
Reply/Quote
Key 1: Put hats on rushers. No free releases to the QB for rushers or else it'll be an ugly game. 

Key 2: Exploit the safeties. The intermediate game just beneath their coverage zones is where I'd look to milk them. If they try to cheat shallow, then you can talk about going max protect and trying to blow the top off. 

12 personnel on offense should be good against 3-4 looks. Throw to the TEs and RBs to set up the run and intermediate passes. 

Alternating vanilla zone with zone blitzes should keep the Pig out of his comfort zone. 
Reply/Quote
I want to see Uzoma playing FB instead of TE.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2021, 08:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It will come down to can ZT come up with an offensive game plan that keeps Joe vertical and gets 24 points on the board.  I think the defense will rise to the occasion (again) but if we see a series of three-and-outs and gutless plays, we will lose the energy and end up losing the game.

How about Burrow play error free and hits on 3rd downs , that is a receipt for a win
Reply/Quote