Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you deal with your kids Halloween candy?
Do you just let them have it all at once or do they just get a few pieces a day?

Are there some kinds of candy that you don't let them have at all?

How much of it do you take for yourself?
Reply/Quote
I wish she would eat it all @ once. She needs all the calories she can get. We eat some but I would guess about 1/3 of it goes in the garbage after sitting around for a year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't have kids but I was responsible for running trick or treat with the little kids in the family this year. I inspect it for any suspicious wrappers or candies then throw out anything I don't recognize or looks tampered. Then it's theirs to enjoy. They don't eat a lot of candy like some little kids so I hardly worry about them eating it all in one night. Most years they leave 1/4 of eat uneaten anyways.

What gets really entertaining is when the marketplace opens in my living room and all the little kids are bartering with each other trading candy. They dump out their pillow cases and inspect each others loot. Every now and then I have to come in and reject a deal if I see one of the little kids getting ripped off.
Reply/Quote
I dole it out a few pieces a day.
The stuff he doesn't like finds its way to people who actually do like it.
I don't take any of his candy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Actually, this is the third straight year my six year old has been unable to trick-or-treat. He came down with a fierce headache around 4:30 and slept 12 hours. Being the awesome dad that I am, I got him a toy and some candy to make up for the tragedy of missing Halloween.
Reply/Quote
I eat it all so they don't get cavities. After all, they are really just here to do my bidding.

By the way, I don't have kids. I'm referring to the ones around the neighborhood. Last night they kept coming over all dressed up and bringing me bags of candy. I'd take the bags and tell them to get the hell off of my property.

Gotta go, I need both hands to unwrap all this candy.
Reply/Quote
Excellent question.

Wife breaks the candy up they get a little bit as they go. We don't want them pounding away candy. Our little one will eat it all In a setting if we let her... And then she gets sick .

We don't take much, maybe a piece here or there, I am not a candy eater unless it's the occaisional Reese's ... She is the same way, but it's chocolate for her, but she prefers this German chocolate over anything they get a Halloween.

Their candy will last quite a while.
Reply/Quote
The ex and I would pick through it once the kids were in bed. She loved Three Musketeers and I would snag the Milky Ways and Snickers. Next day when the kids claimed there was some candy missing, we'd unite and tell them they were imagining things and we'd deny deny deny. This cycle would repeat every Halloween. That part of the holiday I miss, and there are presently no grandkids on the horizon from whom to steal candy.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I steal and/or eat it all while they are sleeping and then tell them some devious minority must have broken in and stolen it all.

(11-01-2015, 02:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I eat it all so they don't get cavities.  After all, they are really just here to do my bidding.

By the way, I don't have kids.  I'm referring to the ones around the neighborhood.  Last night they kept coming over all dressed up and bringing me bags of candy.  I'd take the bags and tell them to get the hell off of my property.

Gotta go, I need both hands to unwrap all this candy.

My strategy to avoid giving out candy is to set out an empty bowl with a PLEASE TAKE ONE sign on it and just let people assume some bad kid just took the whole thing.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2015, 12:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Do you just let them have it all at once or do they just get a few pieces a day?

Are there some kinds of candy that you don't let them have at all?

How much of it do you take for yourself?

As you and many may know my son is diabetic and was diagnosed when he was 4yo and is 15 now and what we've done for ever is buy the candy from him (at ridiculously inflated rate I might add LOL ).  He then uses the money to go by whatever toy, video game, or whatever he is wanting.  He still really looks forward to it, he takes his younger cousins with him to trick or treat now.   And now that he's older he's learned the art of negotiating, I pay a lot of money for a butterfinger Sad
Reply/Quote
After checking the candy. We let our kids eat as much as they can for about an hour after trick or treat then we give out the rest slowly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
usually all at once for a few days, then it all gets pitched.
Reply/Quote
with all the lunatics out there now-a-days...my girlfriend and I carefully scan through all the candy before allowing our kids to touch them.

We have two little ones (4 and 2) so we don't let them have any of the gummy like candies.  We allow them to have a piece after dinner and a piece maybe throughout if they clean up their messes or do something.

we took a little baggy for ourselves with all the jolly ranchers and candies like that in it.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 03:45 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: As you and many may know my son is diabetic and was diagnosed when he was 4yo and is 15 now and what we've done for ever is buy the candy from him (at ridiculously inflated rate I might add LOL ).  He then uses the money to go by whatever toy, video game, or whatever he is wanting.  He still really looks forward to it, he takes his younger cousins with him to trick or treat now.   And now that he's older he's learned the art of negotiating, I pay a lot of money for a butterfinger Sad

Sounds like he's old enough to learn about the free market.  Tell him if he doesn't lower his prices your are gonna buy your butterfingers else where for a reasonable price.  Then he can sit on his inventory unable to sell it at such high prices.
Reply/Quote
Our son is only 2 so we divide it into three categories. He can eat alone, he can eat supervised (basically just suckers), and he can't have at all.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 10:54 AM)Synric Wrote: After checking the candy. We let our kids eat as much as they can for about an hour after trick or treat then we give out the rest slowly.

(11-05-2015, 10:01 AM)rungiorun25 Wrote: with all the lunatics out there now-a-days...my girlfriend and I carefully scan through all the candy before allowing our kids to touch them.

We have two little ones (4 and 2) so we don't let them have any of the gummy like candies.  We allow them to have a piece after dinner and a piece maybe throughout if they clean up their messes or do something.

we took a little baggy for ourselves with all the jolly ranchers and candies like that in it.

There has never been a single documented case of anything bad happening because a stranger did something to Halloween candy. No razor blades, no pot, no acid, no prescription drugs....the only case of Halloween candy being tainted was a father who killed his son by poisoning the Halloween candy after it had been collected so he could collect insurance money. 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 05:05 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There has never been a single documented case of anything bad happening because a stranger did something to Halloween candy. No razor blades, no pot, no acid, no prescription drugs....the only case of Halloween candy being tainted was a father who killed his son by poisoning the Halloween candy after it had been collected so he could collect insurance money. 

i know its always just boring candy... and usually not very good candy.

I would say pillage what you want from their stash and take the rest to your coworkers... after they (kids) had their share
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 05:05 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There has never been a single documented case of anything bad happening because a stranger did something to Halloween candy. No razor blades, no pot, no acid, no prescription drugs....the only case of Halloween candy being tainted was a father who killed his son by poisoning the Halloween candy after it had been collected so he could collect insurance money. 

Was just about to mention this. The fact parents across the country acts like their kid is about to be poisoned by candy when they scan the candy with an eagle eye is sad. Much more likely your kid will be kidnapped on Halloween than poisoned, yet I know people who let their kids Trick or Treat alone.
Reply/Quote
My ex-wife is extremely strict about what the girls get at her house. She has very strict limits on processed sugar so they rarely get any candy at all. And she bans almost all artificial colors. Basically all they get to keep from Halloween is the chocolates. And they only get 3 pieces a day.

Because of these strict dietary limitations Halloween has always been more special to my girls than most other kids. Candy is much more rare for them.
Reply/Quote
Kind of OT but I saw an interesting show about the history of Halloween. Trick-or-treating door-to-door is a relatively new custom. It was not popular across the country until in the 1950's.
Reply/Quote
I don't have kids, but I ask my nieces which candies they don't like and I will take them off their hands. I got a boatload of Almond Joys.

On a sidenote, the neighborhoods looked like it was going Bengalmania with all that orange and black decoration. Tiger
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote