Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
How does Taylor stack up to worst coaches in NFL history?
Zac Taylor currently has a winning percentage of 0.167 (3 wins, 1 tie out of 21 games).

I was curious to see where that stacked up compared to other coaches in NFL history.
I found the following article posted back in Feb of this year of the list of worst winning percentage by head coach with at least 10+ games - https://medium.com/sportsraid/the-12-worst-head-coaches-in-nfl-history-c5dec58e3684

For those who just want the answer...

Taylor would currently slot as the 2nd-worst in NFL history behind only Marty Mornhinweg (0.156).
Hue is at 0.196 because of his time as HC in OAK, making him higher than Taylor. If you just went off his CLE record, Hue would be at 0.075, worst in NFL history.

Taylor is currently worse than Dave Shula (0.267). However, Shula was given 4.5 years, so Taylor could end up being better than Shula if given the same amount of tenure.

Time will tell.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 02:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Zac Taylor currently has a winning percentage of 0.167 (3 wins, 1 tie out of 21 games).

I was curious to see where that stacked up compared to other coaches in NFL history.
I found the following article posted back in Feb of this year of the list of worst winning percentage by head coach with at least 10+ games - https://medium.com/sportsraid/the-12-worst-head-coaches-in-nfl-history-c5dec58e3684

For those who just want the answer...

Taylor would currently slot as the 2nd-worst in NFL history behind only Marty Mornhinweg (0.156).
Hue is at 0.196 because of his time as HC in OAK, making him higher than Taylor. If you just went off his CLE record, Hue would be at 0.075, worst in NFL history.

Taylor is currently worse than Dave Shula (0.267). However, Shula was given 4.5 years, so Taylor could end up being better than Shula if given the same amount of tenure.

Time will tell.

No worries, there's still time for Zac to get those extra losses to overtake Mornhinweg. By the way, Shula was 8-24 in his first two seasons. Taylor needs 5 more wins this season to catch up to him. Taylor already has the worst first year for a Bengals' head coach.

When a coach is this far down the list, a career change is in order.

Reply/Quote
Dont worry we’ve got 5 more years for him to build his culture and make it happen
Reply/Quote
I think he needs a 7 win season to justify not firing him, personally.
Reply/Quote
Through first 21 games

Taylor..............3-17-1
Tom Landry......4-16-1
Chuck Knoll.......4-17-0
Bill Parcells.........6-14-1
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Through first 21 games

Tom Landry......4-16-1
Chuck Knoll.......4-17-0

Interesting stats.

It took Landry until his 7th season to have a winning season.
Noll didn't have a winning season until his 4th season.

While it could happen that Taylor could eventually become a winning HC, this isn't the 60's and 70's anymore.
Fans aren't as willing to wait, and franchises likely aren't as willing to wait either.

He can improve, but how fast can he and how long will the Bengals give him?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Interesting stats.

It took Landry until his 7th season to have a winning season.
Noll didn't have a winning season until his 4th season.

While it could happen that Taylor could eventually become a winning HC, this isn't the 60's and 70's anymore.
Fans aren't as willing to wait, and franchises likely aren't as willing to wait either.

He can improve, but how fast can he and how long will the Bengals give him?

Mike Brown will give him a minimum 3 years before the thought of replacing him even comes into play. 
Reply/Quote

Tom Landry......4-16-1
Chuck Knoll.......4-17-0

And this is the bottom line. The book on Taylor is not complete yet. Are there things I wish he would do differently, sure, but I'm still in his camp.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And this is the bottom line. The book on Taylor is not complete yet. Are there things I wish he would do differently, sure, but I'm still in his camp.

But you have to look at the growth all those coaches made from year to year.
Does (or should) the organization stick with Taylor if he only ends up with 4 wins this season?
If they do stick with Taylor after this year, what will be the "required" number of wins for Year 3?

I would say 5 wins minimum this year, 7 wins minimum next year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Mike Brown will give him a minimum 3 years before the thought of replacing him even comes into play. 

We don't know this for sure.  The front office has changed dramatically.  The huge amount of money we spent on Free Agents proves this, and i also think that free agent monye will come into play when evaluating Taylor after this season.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But you have to look at the growth all those coaches made from year to year.
Does (or should) the organization stick with Taylor if he only ends up with 4 wins this season?
If they do stick with Taylor after this year, what will be the "required" number of wins for Year 3?

I would say 5 wins minimum this year, 7 wins minimum next year.

Look at the growth then. Landry took 7 seasons to get over .500.  Taylor only had 2 wins last year. So far this year he has 1 win and 1 tie in 5 weeks, with a rookie Quarterback. His defensive line is decimated by injury and his offensive line sucks. Simply put, if he gets to 6 wins this season it would be a pretty outstanding thing.
Reply/Quote

Tom Landry......4-16-1
Chuck Knoll.......4-17-0

This is a different NFL when those records were compiled. Now with a salary cap their is equal talent all across the league. so for Zac to have that record is unacceptable he took over a 6-10 team. He wont reach that good of a record in his entire time here. 
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We don't know this for sure.  The front office has changed dramatically.  The huge amount of money we spent on Free Agents proves this, and i also think that free agent monye will come into play when evaluating Taylor after this season.

If nothing else, Mike Brown is a fair man. He will look at the free agent money he spent, but he will also realize Waynes never saw the field, Reader is gone for the season, Alexander is out for an undetermined time, as is XFS. The only FAs we have actually seeing the field are Bell and Bynes.....
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If nothing else, Mike Brown is a fair man. He will look at the free agent money he spent, but he will also realize Waynes never saw the field, Reader is gone for the season, Alexander is out for an undetermined time, as is XFS. The only FAs we have actually seeing the field are Bell and Bynes.....

Every team gets injuries thats why NFL is a coaching league. Pats lost half their D before the season even began. Played the Chiefs close to even for 3 quarters without his starting QB
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 02:24 PM)BengalChris Wrote: No worries, there's still time for Zac to get those extra losses to overtake Mornhinweg. By the way, Shula was 8-24 in his first two seasons. Taylor needs 5 more wins this season to catch up to him. Taylor already has the worst first year for a Bengals' head coach.

When a coach is this far down the list, a career change is in order.

He's tied with Dick LeBeau for that honor....not that it's honorable...lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Look at the growth then. Landry took 7 seasons to get over .500.  Taylor only had 2 wins last year. So far this year he has 1 win and 1 tie in 5 weeks, with a rookie Quarterback. His defensive line is decimated by injury and his offensive line sucks. Simply put, if he gets to 6 wins this season it would be a pretty outstanding thing.

Landry started coaching 60 years ago. It was a completely different era back then.
There's no way a franchise nowadays waits 7 years for their team to have a winning season.
Is there a franchise who has stuck with the same HC for that many years without having a winning season in the past 20 years?

With that said, if the Bengals can somehow get to 6 wins this year, I think Taylor deserves to stay and see what he can do next year.

I would look to move on from him if he doesn't at least get 4 more wins.

I'm not going to give them the injuries excuses though. It's every team's responsibility to have enough quality depth to handle injuries, as every team faces injuries every year. Some more than others.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:56 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: This is a different NFL when those records were compiled. Now with a salary cap their is equal talent all across the league. so for Zac to have that record is unacceptable he took over a 6-10 team. He wont reach that good of a record in his entire time here. 

Very good point.

Landry's first year was Dallas' first season. They had to start from nothing because they were an expansion team.
Noll inherited a 2-11-1 team.
Parcells inherited a 4-win team (shortened season) and then ended up with 0.5 less wins in his first season.

None of them inherited a team and then ended with 4 fewer wins their first season.

Could Taylor be the next Parcells? Possibly, but it'd be very rare.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 04:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not going to give them the injuries excuses though. It's every team's responsibility to have enough quality depth to handle injuries, as every team faces injuries every year. Some more than others.

Injuries are not an excuse, but they are part of the equation, and any valid evaluation takes them into consideration. Does anyone think Reader and a healthy Geno playing beside each other wouldn't make a difference? Or having a healthy AJ Green wouldn't open up the offense? You're kidding yourself. Our backups have played well, but there's a reason the starters are starters.
Reply/Quote
Taylor needs.to starting looking like he can hang with
The rest of the AFC North.so far hes looking like he cant
The margain of loss is 26 pts per game. If he cant win 2 games vs
The North this year then.He never will.

Ravens had a QB at 85 % and still beat us by 24.
The Browns ran.up.and down.all.day on.us.

Its embarassing.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 04:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Injuries are not an excuse, but they are part of the equation, and any valid evaluation takes them into consideration. Does anyone think Reader and a healthy Geno playing beside each other wouldn't make a difference? Or having a healthy AJ Green wouldn't open up the offense? You're kidding yourself. Our backups have played well, but there's a reason the starters are starters.

I think you're giving too much credit to Atkins and Green, but that's my opinion.
I think they might help add an extra win, maybe two.
But this team still has a bad OL and are still bad at stopping the run and rushing the passer even if they were back to normal.
They are averaging 1.8 sacks per game this year and averaged 1.9 sacks per game last year.
They are 29th rushing defense in terms of yards, last in league last year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote