Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How important is a TE
(03-05-2024, 02:34 PM)Nepa Wrote: Uzomah was nearly useless with the Jets, save for blocking. Big contract, but in 27 games with the Jets he totaled only 290 yards! And he had serious injuries with the Jets (MCL, meniscus, tibia fracture). That ship sailed. 

Makes me say no to Uzo. We can do better. I just hope we take care of RT and DT in FA so we can grab a TE and a RB in the 3rd and 4th rounds 
without hesitancy. Should be a lot of good ones there. Sinnott and Theo Johnson are my hopes right now and there are many others at TE.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 02:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes me say no to Uzo. We can do better. I just hope we take care of RT and DT in FA so we can grab a TE and a RB in the 3rd and 4th rounds 
without hesitancy. Should be a lot of good ones there. Sinnott and Theo Johnson are my hopes right now and there are many others at TE.

Agreed, this team is in a position to upgrade the TE position. They don't need a camp body.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:02 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Agreed, this team is in a position to upgrade the TE position. They don't need a camp body.

Yes sir Tecmo. If we can upgrade RT and DT in FA, we can certainly upgrade TE and RB in the Draft with youth and upside.

Still want to bring back Hudson and Sample though, they are good players.
Reply/Quote
Bengals coach was on Locked on bengals recently and had this to say about why they ran so much 11 personnel over the last few years...

- The Bengals had 3 great wide receivers, so, 11 personnel (1 TE at a reduced role) was the best way to utilize their best players by getting them on the field. IF they had a great TE instead of a great #3 or #, they would run 12 personnel more instead because the TE would be the better player.

^ The above explanation of how important the TE position is is PERFECTLY UNDERSTANDABLE, IMO, and I appreciate the coach putting things simply. The Bengals are not TE averse. They called plays & personnel groupings based on talent. Square peg into a square hole, so to speak.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Bengals coach was on Locked on bengals recently and had this to say about why they ran so much 11 personnel over the last few years...

- The Bengals had 3 great wide receivers, so, 11 personnel (1 TE at a reduced role) was the best way to utilize their best players by getting them on the field. IF they had a great TE instead of a great #3 or #, they would run 12 personnel more instead because the TE would be the better player.

^ The above explanation of how important the TE position is is PERFECTLY UNDERSTANDABLE, IMO, and I appreciate the coach putting things simply. The Bengals are not TE averse. They called plays & personnel groupings based on talent. Square peg into a square hole, so to speak.

Great to hear, would love to run more 12 personnel with a stud TE in the fold.
Reply/Quote
Dalton Schultz signed an extension with the Texans 3 year $36 million with $23.5 million fully guaranteed.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'm against Bowers in the 1st round. He is slight of build for an NFL TE. Google "Bowers standing next to Gronk" and he looks like a child standing next to a man. NFL TE's need some bulk to take the pounding and hold up blocks.

Also, name for me the last TE selected in the first round that lived up to anything near the draft position. Hockenson in 2019 & then who? Engram in 2017? Then Eifert? I mean, that is a SAVAGE ratio for a first round resource.

Look at the best TEs in the league & you'll find the majority are post 2nd rounders. My favorite TE last year, LaPorta, went higher than I expected in the early 2nd. Kincaid looks good, but wasn't some game changer for the Bills. Michael Meyer looks like a JAG. I understand these guys need time, but I think they Bengals buy a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th round TE time by bringing in a mid tier FA TE on a 2 or 3 year deal while the draft pick gets playing time sprinkled in.

The NFL scouts seem to look for players who check every box, which overlooks a lot of special guys at the TE position because it's such an odd role in college football that it's tough to tell who's truly the man amongst boys.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great to hear, would love to run more 12 personnel with a stud TE in the fold.

My post above this one expands on my thoughts on TE. It's a fascinating topic because the right one (or two) is just so so devastating to NFL defenses.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:14 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm against Bowers in the 1st round. He is slight of build for an NFL TE. Google "Bowers standing next to Gronk" and he looks like a child standing next to a man. NFL TE's need some bulk to take the pounding and hold up blocks.

Also, name for me the last TE selected in the first round that lived up to anything near the draft position. Hockenson in 2019 & then who? Engram in 2017? Then Eifert? I mean, that is a SAVAGE ratio for a first round resource.

Look at the best TEs in the league & you'll find the majority are post 2nd rounders. My favorite TE last year, LaPorta, went higher than I expected in the early 2nd. Kincaid looks good, but wasn't some game changer for the Bills. Michael Meyer looks like a JAG. I understand these guys need time, but I think they Bengals buy a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th round TE time by bringing in a mid tier FA TE on a 2 or 3 year deal while the draft pick gets playing time sprinkled in.

The NFL scouts seem to look for players who check every box, which overlooks a lot of special guys at the TE position because it's such an odd role in college football that it's tough to tell who's truly the man amongst boys.

As long as we take care of RT and DT in FA I would be for Bowers at 18. Doubt he will be there though, he is still 6'3" and 245 pounds
last I checked and is extremely fast and maybe the best TE ever in terms of YAC. Most players look small next to Gronk and Bowers is a 
smaller TE. All true about how TE's that are taken in the first lately haven't lived up to expectations.

Still think Pitts with better QB play and being used better would change this a bit.

(03-05-2024, 03:15 PM)PDub80 Wrote: My post above this one expands on my thoughts on TE. It's a fascinating topic because the right one (or two) is just so so devastating to NFL defenses.

Yes, I like Sinnott, Stover or Theo Johnson in the 3rd or 4th round for us right now. Both Sinnott and Stover can catch and block
and would really upgrade our TE room IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: - The Bengals had 3 great wide receivers, so, 11 personnel (1 TE at a reduced role) was the best way to utilize their best players by getting them on the field. IF they had a great TE instead of a great #3 or #, they would run 12 personnel more instead because the TE would be the better player.

Zac made a similar comment earlier in the season in a post game presser. He was asked about the TE role and responded since he had 3 of the best WRs in the NFL it dictated he not use the TE as much.

It makes sense, use the best talent on the roster.
Reply/Quote
Another familiar name expected to be back on the market too

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/panthers-plan-to-release-hayden-hurst
Reply/Quote
CJ & Hurst both out there.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 05:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: CJ & Hurst both out there.

Was just coming here to Say hey Hurst is available....     GO GET  EM
Reply/Quote
Well Schultz is off the table.
3 years, $36 mill to stay with HOU.
Spotrac was pretty close to that with their market value of $11.3 mill APY.

Not related to this specific thread, but Madubuike also off the table for those who were maybe hoping for a big boost to interior pass rush.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Was just coming here to Say hey Hurst is available....     GO GET  EM

He missed the last eight games of the season with a concussion and was cut despite the Panthers only saving $52,000 in cap space and eating nearly 10 million in dead money. Not sure there will be much interest in him. 
Reply/Quote
Looks like Jonnu Smith is going to Miami. Shame would have been a nice to sign a cheap TE before free agency starts.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 08:46 PM)Nepa Wrote: He missed the last eight games of the season with a concussion and was cut despite the Panthers only saving $52,000 in cap space and eating nearly 10 million in dead money. Not sure there will be much interest in him. 

He had a pretty significant head trauma. Actually had amnesia for a couple of days. I think I would pass.
Reply/Quote
I'd take a look at Hurst. He was good for us, but I'd be leery after the head injury. He's gotta be close to retirement at this point.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Was just coming here to Say hey Hurst is available....     GO GET  EM

Agree with Tobin no more revolving door, draft a TE or sign one for 3-4 yrs. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 05:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: CJ & Hurst both out there.

Eh, both are coming off of disappointing seasons marked by injuries.  CJ had knee surgery, Hurst missed half the year with the head injury.  Heck, Hurst lost valuable time when he was with the Bengals, and then never regained the momentum he was building with Burrow.  I'd say they should pass on both of those and start considering signing back Hudson and Sample, and then look toward the draft for a new TE.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote