Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How important is a TE
(02-08-2024, 08:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol, no.  We are not trading Tee right before the season for the next year’s draft picks.  Come on man.

They had an opportunity to trade him this year even after the season began.   There is no reason they cant trade a player right before the season starts.  You act like they cant do something like this when in fact they just did it 3 year ago to trading Billy Price for BJ Hill. Trade him and get something of value
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2024, 02:20 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: They had an opportunity to trade him this year even after the season began.   There is no reason they cant trade a player right before the season starts.  You act like they cant do something like this when in fact they just did it 3 year ago to trading Billy Price for BJ Hill.  Trade him and get something of value

You are not a serious person.  Price was a bust, not a highly productive player. We already had his replacement on the roster and we traded him for a better player.   Comparing him to Tee Higgins is such a credibility destroyer.

Trading Tee for picks in NEXT year's draft is beyond dumb and would never ever happen, no team is that inept. 

Reply/Quote
I totally want Bowers falling to the Bengals at pick 18 (as long as free agency is used to secure OL starters).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Well the last part is good to hear. They obviously have to address the position in a serious way at some point.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2024, 11:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Well the last part is good to hear. They obviously have to address the position in a serious way at some point.

If Brock Bowers is there he will be the pick from what I am hearing here. That would take the revolving door out of the equation.

I also really like Ben Sinnott from K-State in the mid rounds if Bowers isn't there at 18. Bring back Hudson and Sample to round out the room
and we will be much better off than last year with unknowns. I had hope for Irv Smith but he is a bust for being a 2nd round pick, not like he 
had the best TE's around him and he shown the least of any of them IMO.

Hudson was our best pass catching TE and Sample is a damn good blocker, but man if we had a Brock Bowers type this Offense goes to another
level. I know one thing, Burrow hits the open guy regardless if they are a WR, RB or TE, he will find him.
Reply/Quote
If we're interested in a young Jimmy Graham check out these combine numbers:

Jimmy Graham/Theo Johnson
HT: 6'6"/6'6"
WT: 260/259
40: 4.56/4.57
Vert: 38.5/39.5
Broad: 10'0"/10'5"
Shuttle+Cone: 11:44/11:34
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Name the 4-best TEs in the NFL: One could make a great argument for LAPORTA, KITTLE, KELCE, ANDREWS.
What do they have in common? They all played in the conference Championship game

When discussion turns to TE around here one of the quick arguments is: A TE is not a focal point of a Taylor offense.

Yet:
UZOMAH had a career year the one year he spent w/ JB and Zac

HURST restarted his career in Cincy w/ JB and Zac

HUDSON went from a garbage journeyman to a viable part of our offense

I think we currently have 0 TEs under contract and that's not a bad thing IMO

Many are suggesting Tee is priority#1 in the off-season, but money/draft capital may be better spent getting a stud TE.

FA market is kinda thin at the top. He have the likes of Schultz, Fant, and Gesecki.

The draft has a stud TE (Bowers) and if he makes it to 18 he should be the pick

Then we have "rebuilding teams" that may entertain trade

Hockenson is pricey, but could likely be had from Minny as they clear cap

Pitts is being wasted in ATL, maybe the new regime there would prefer picks

Bears would most likely move KMET

What are other's thoughts on TE?

I think that if our TE was a player like those you mentioned the offense would utilize them. I believe everybody is too focused on the position not the player. If you look at SF,KC, Balt,and Detroit they don’t have 2 WR1. None have a top 5 WR. If they had Chase and Tee would Kelce and the others be as much of a focal point? It’s just the way the team is constructed. But the good news is word is they are tired of the revolving door and rentals. They seem destined to make a long term decision at TE.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we're interested in a young Jimmy Graham check out these combine numbers:

Not going to lie, I would like having a TE that big and athletic. All for Theo Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If we're interested in a young Jimmy Graham check out these combine numbers:

Don't much about Theo, but if he plays anything like JG then I am all for it

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2024, 08:09 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Don't much about Theo, but if he plays anything like JG then I am all for it

I think the key to Jimmy Graham was Sean Payton (and Drew Brees).

Graham, even including his weak rookie year, averaged 1,036 yards and 11 TDs per 17 games in his 5 seasons with the Saints.
Graham in the next 5 seasons averaged 710 yards and 5 TDs per 17 games.

- - - - - -

Don't get me wrong, I will still take a big, tall, athletic TE. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2024, 08:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think the key to Jimmy Graham was Sean Payton (and Drew Brees).

Graham, even including his weak rookie year, averaged 1,036 yards and 11 TDs per 17 games in his 5 seasons with the Saints.
Graham in the next 5 seasons averaged 710 yards and 5 TDs per 17 games.

- - - - - -

Don't get me wrong, I will still take a big, tall, athletic TE. Lol

I think that many around here would be pretty excited if the Bengals made the TE even that much of a focal point in the offense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2024, 10:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that many around here would be pretty excited if the Bengals made the TE even that much of a focal point in the offense.

Plus Theo sounds a little more athletic than Jimmy Graham from those measurables. Joe will find the open man and if Theo is more 
athletic than Jimmy with that size he should be always open similar to 7/11 lol
Reply/Quote
I’m anti TE in the 1st unless you think he’s Gronk or Kelce. I value positions like OL, WR, CB , and DL higher. Seems like TE’s haven’t panned out to good in rd1 in general. Guys like Ebron, Pitts, Howard, Hurst , Fant , Engram, Pettigrew and so on. Hockenson has played better in Minnesota. Far as Bowers goes at only 6’3 240 I feel like some of the best tights have great size. Kelce 6’6 , Gronk 6’6 Gram 6’7, Andrew’s 6’5 , Hockenson 6’5 , Tony Gonzalez 6’6. Plus good tight ends can be found later , Kelce 3rd rd. ,Andrews 3rd rd., Kittle 5th even Laporte 2nd rd. Far as TE the reason why teams win superbowl’s ? Gronk and Kelce were mainly the number 1 options on there teams which hasn’t applied in Cincy. Kittle big part of the 49ers but they also have Samuel and Aiyuk at WR and the roster is stacked. The Bengals definitely need to addressed the position better but I’m more worried about OL, DL, and the secondary and would be more open to WR round 1 if a guy like Thomas was there.
Reply/Quote
Old name is available
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-jets-are-expected-to-release-c-j-uzomah

But we probly want a better upgrade
Reply/Quote

Graham is the anomaly of blossoming once in the NFL.
Only 1 season of D1 college and put up only 213 yards and 5 TDs that season.
But man, did he pan out.

Theo Johnson is actually less of a gamble than Graham was, so I'm down to take him in Rd 3/4.
Also Ben Sinnott.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 12:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Old name is available
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-jets-are-expected-to-release-c-j-uzomah

But we probly want a better upgrade

I'd take Uzomah back on a cheap contract to help provide insurance in case a draft pick doesn't pan out, but that's about it.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 01:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd take Uzomah back on a cheap contract to help provide insurance in case a draft pick doesn't pan out, but that's about it.

bringing him to camp wouldnt hurt
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 01:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: bringing him to camp wouldnt hurt

Gosh no
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 11:54 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I’m anti TE in the 1st unless you think he’s Gronk or Kelce. I value positions like OL, WR, CB , and DL higher.  Seems like TE’s haven’t panned out to good in rd1 in general. Guys like  Ebron, Pitts, Howard, Hurst , Fant , Engram, Pettigrew and so on. Hockenson has played better in Minnesota. Far as Bowers goes at only 6’3 240 I feel like some of the best tights have great size. Kelce 6’6 , Gronk 6’6 Gram 6’7, Andrew’s 6’5 , Hockenson 6’5 , Tony Gonzalez 6’6. Plus good tight ends can be found later , Kelce 3rd rd. ,Andrews 3rd rd., Kittle 5th even Laporte 2nd rd. Far as TE the reason why teams win superbowl’s ? Gronk  and Kelce were mainly the number 1 options on there teams which hasn’t applied in Cincy. Kittle big part of the 49ers but they also have Samuel and Aiyuk at WR and the roster is stacked. The Bengals definitely need to addressed the position better but I’m more worried about OL, DL, and the secondary and would be more open to WR round 1 if a guy like Thomas was there.

Evan Engram would like to have a word...

Engram is 6'3", 240 lbs.
The Giants and Jags have used him as a big receiver, and it's worked well.
Evans just had his best season this past year, putting up 114 receptions for 963 yards.
Evans was 3rd among all TEs in receiving yards, 1st in receptions.
Evans was selected 23rd overall in the 2017 draft.

If you plan to use a TE like Evans has been used, a selection like that can be worth it in the 1st round. But for me, the only TE worth a 1st rounder is Bowers.
Otherwise, wait until Rds 2-4 for a TE.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 01:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd take Uzomah back on a cheap contract to help provide insurance in case a draft pick doesn't pan out, but that's about it.

Uzomah was nearly useless with the Jets, save for blocking. Big contract, but in 27 games with the Jets he totaled only 290 yards! And he had serious injuries with the Jets (MCL, meniscus, tibia fracture). That ship sailed. 
Reply/Quote