Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iowa Congressman Proposes Legislation to Block Harriet Tubman From Being on $20 Bill
(06-22-2016, 11:48 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I personally couldn't give a rats ass if they changed the faces on the currency. At best, all I care is that they are considered to be forces of change in America (for the better).

I am more upset over how they changed the money from what it used to be in the 90s to this big-headed nonsense the last decade or so.

Eh, just an attempt to stay ahead of the counterfeiters.  

Like Kain I seldom carry cash, and when I do I'm more worried about the numbers on it than the faces.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-22-2016, 11:15 AM)Benton Wrote: It's acknowledgment of someone who had a significant impact in this country. I don't really care if it's Tubman or not. As long as it's not Flava Flave, I can live with it.

If they do, I'll take all your 20s off your hands. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Uh, oh.

Looks like King is just doing this to defend the poor, discriminate against white males!

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2016/06/22/3791098/steve-king-tubman-twenties/

Quote:And he made it clear that his intention is to keep bills looking exactly the way they do now.

“It’s not about Harriet Tubman, it’s about keeping the picture on the $20,” he told Politico, even though Jackson’s image will still be on the back of the bill. “Y’know? Why would you want to change that? I am a conservative, I like to keep what we have.”

He also called it “racist” and “sexist” to say that the United States should put a woman or person of color on the country’s money. “Here’s what’s really happening: This is liberal activism on the part of the president that’s trying to identify people by categories, and he’s divided us on the lines of groups,” he said. “This is a divisive proposal on the part of the president, and mine’s unifying. It says just don’t change anything.”

Quote:King's not the only Republican who reacted negatively to Lew's announcement about the currency design changes. Hours afterward, presumptive Republican presidential candidate Donald Trumpcalled it "pure political correctness," saying, “Andrew Jackson had a great history, and I think it’s very rough when you take somebody off the bill. Andrew Jackson had a history of tremendous success for the country." Former presidential candidate Ben Carson also defended Jackson, calling him "a tremendous president," and suggested Tubman be put on the $2 bill.

But Jackson's presidency was not as tremendous as they claim. Jackson, whose wealth was built through his ownership of hundreds of slaves, called for the forced removal of Native Americans from their land to make room for more slave plantations and signed the Indian Removal Act, leading to thousands of Native Americans dying on the Trail of Tears. He also made economic decisions that led to a bubble and then massive recession.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-22-2016, 11:32 AM)Griever Wrote: what you got against giant clocks?

My grandfather was killed by a giant clock.

Boooooyyyyyyyy.

(06-22-2016, 11:42 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I am 100% behind this.
Some the most beautiful designs on currency have been of landmarks, landscapes, and animals.

Oh... cannot forget mythology and boobies.

[Image: 1896_5_bill_lrg.jpg]

I'd rather go that route.
(06-22-2016, 12:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: Uh, oh.

Looks like King is just doing this to defend the poor, discriminate against white males!

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2016/06/22/3791098/steve-king-tubman-twenties/

But Jackson's presidency was not as tremendous as they claim. Jackson, whose wealth was built through his ownership of hundreds of slaves, called for the forced removal of Native Americans from their land to make room for more slave plantations and signed the Indian Removal Act, leading to thousands of Native Americans dying on the Trail of Tears. He also made economic decisions that led to a bubble and then massive recession.

Breaking News from Fox:  Obama blamed for the Trail of Tears failure 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

I dont really care who is on it either, but Im definitely ok removing Jackson from it. And if it is going to be a historical minority, my vote would be for Frederick Douglass, even over MLK.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(06-21-2016, 10:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: First off, King is probably the biggest douchenozzle in Congress, definitely top three.  Second, if you want to replace a US President with a black person it should really have been MLK.  Being on US currency means your life contributed in a very significant way to the United States.  There is no doubt that Tubman was a great person, her actions certainly heroic, but she no more belongs on US currency than Audie Murphy.  MLK changed the fabric of the entire nation forever  Quite sincerely, there has been no woman that has contributed enough to this nation's history to warrant displacing someone already on it.  The reasons for that are numerous but the point stands.

The original campaign was for a woman on currency. My personal choice in that category was Elizabeth Cady Stanton
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-22-2016, 10:16 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Why the hell does it matter who is on any currency? I wouldn't notice the difference between George Washington and Bill Murray if I carried cash (I don't - it's archaic and hard to replace if your wallet goes missing).

If this clown shoe doesn't want one person, then just move to remove all the faces from all forms of currency.

(06-22-2016, 11:42 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I am 100% behind this.
Some the most beautiful designs on currency have been of landmarks, landscapes, and animals.

Oh... cannot forget mythology and boobies.

[Image: 1896_5_bill_lrg.jpg]

I carry cash often and use it for everything other than gas and my weekly grocery shopping at a chain store, and other chain store purchases like Target and what not. Most of my in person transactions are cash, though, because it means more money in the pocket of the business owner. 2.75% per transaction (not always the case, but is an industry standard) can really add up to lost revenue.

Anyway, I am largely in favor of changing up our money altogether. There are a number of things that could be done to make our money more user friendly to the visually impaired and simultaneously more difficult to counterfeit. At the same time a redesign of every bill to get rid of the whole dead presidents motif and something really celebrating our country would be nice. But, since we as a country tend to hate change and since cash is less commonly used, this will likely never occur.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
He's at it again.  We really are sorry, America.

Quote about the Democrat sit in.

"I've had it with the gun grabbing Democrats and their sit in anti 2nd amendment jihad. I'm going to go home and buy a new gun."
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(06-24-2016, 09:38 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: He's at it again.  We really are sorry, America.

Quote about the Democrat sit in.

"I've had it with the gun grabbing Democrats and their sit in anti 2nd amendment jihad. I'm going to go home and buy a new gun."

so are we saying he is Lucie?
People suck
(06-24-2016, 09:48 AM)Griever Wrote: so are we saying he is Lucie?

Finkle is Einhorn?

Einhorn is Finkle?

Lucie is Steve King?

Steve King is Lucie? 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!