Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How likely to see NFL
(06-22-2020, 10:49 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The thing I don’t understand about shutting down sports is that the majority of athletes are extremely healthy, have access to top notch medical care and are checked by doctors weekly if not daily... keep the fans out if you must but keep the games going.

Make em sign a waiver and let’s start the season.

Sure those healthy players may not be at a major risk if they contract Covid-19.  But they could easily spread it to other staff members and others they spend time around that are not as healthy.  Those people could then easily spread it to others and so on and so forth. 

Football is an in your face sport.  Players are constantly in the face of other players breathing on each other, spittle, close contact and what not. It meets all the bench marks for spreading it.   So I can see where it would easily spread between players.

I think the concern is not so much with the healthy players themselves getting it and dying, but it spreading from the players to other people. I mean that's how this got so bad to start with.  Healthy people with little to no symptoms at first spreading it like wildfire.  Now everything is a mess.   Sure they could go super extreme and put all players and staff under daily testing and isolated in a bubble of sorts the entire season with no access to anyone in the outside world for the sake of playing a game.  But that is not really viable if not impossible.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
It's pretty hard to see it happening this year imo, but then again there is the almighty $$$ factor.

But if it doesn't happen, the NFL will be ok and survive. What I worry about are the countless of college programs that will take a major hit who aren't the big schools like the Bamas, Ohio States, Clemsons, etc. that don't have the cash reserves and survive year to year.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
There's part of me that says that given how the NFL truly is America's sport and so many regions and entire states live and die by college football that they would move heaven and earth to make it happen.

But how?
Reply/Quote
Sports Illustrated has an article about what sports will look like.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/23/10-ways-sports-will-be-different
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2020, 10:13 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: There's part of me that says that given how the NFL truly is America's sport and so many regions and entire states live and die by college football that they would move heaven and earth to make it happen.

But how?

Honestly? Everyone involved needs to be put in the tightest of bubbles, and tested daily. I'd find a region/area (preferably somewhere warm) that has 4 fields in close proximity and rework broadcast times to have all games held Saturday and Sunday (I really don't see how NCAA can go forward, at least with the NFL they're paid). And while who is deemed necessary to physically be there will certainly be reevaluated, just between coaches, players, officials and TV production that's a lot of people. And then you need to think about the families. None of these people signed up to spend August through (potentially) February away from their family and friends and restricted in their ability to come and go. 
Reply/Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/29348398/novak-djokovic-canceled-adria-tour-cautionary-tale-coronavirus-pandemic%3fplatform=amp
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 05:06 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/29348398/novak-djokovic-canceled-adria-tour-cautionary-tale-coronavirus-pandemic%3fplatform=amp

What an idiot! When Nick Kyrios is calling you out as an idiot, you know you have messed up lol
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 09:06 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: That's the way it is as a bengals fan, when we finally get our QB to take us to the SB, Covid happens. Sad

On the football side of things we are going to be hit less by this than other teams.  Think of all the teams in win now mode with old QBs who are looking at missing their last shot.

I'd imagine Buccaneers fans are feeling the most cursed by this. They have been irrelevant for most of the past 20 years and they have a QB in his 40s and a TE and HC who have already retired before.  
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 08:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: On the football side of things we are going to be hit less by this than other teams.  Think of all the teams in win now mode with old QBs who are looking at missing their last shot.

I'd imagine Buccaneers fans are feeling the most cursed by this. They have been irrelevant for most of the past 20 years and they have a QB in his 40s and a TE and HC who have already retired before.  

They’ve won a Super Bowl. Hard for me to feel too bad for any fan base that can say they’ve personally witnessed that in their lifetime.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 09:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’ve won a Super Bowl. Hard for me to feel too bad for any fan base that can say they’ve personally witnessed that in their lifetime.

Yeah but I mean more on the now and looking forward sort of aspect.  We are set with Burrow for 10+ years and they're watching their possibly one all-in season slip away due to something wacky.  
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 08:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: On the football side of things we are going to be hit less by this than other teams.  Think of all the teams in win now mode with old QBs who are looking at missing their last shot.

I agree, it was 2003 so some a teenager really has no real memory of that run.. all they have is a record of is 12 losing seasons since that time and with Brady having it seems a very narrow window and Gronk year to year who knows what happens after this season.  

Though I firmly believe NFL will play.. the question is more will fans in some capacity be in the stands...
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 10:52 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree, it was 2003 so some a teenager really has no real memory of that run.. all they have is a record of is 12 losing seasons since that time and with Brady having it seems a very narrow window and Gronk year to year who knows what happens after this season.  

Though I firmly believe NFL will play.. the question is more will fans in some capacity be in the stands...

I'm not saying we should feel badly for them as Bengals fans so much as they got hyped for this short term push and year 1 is in danger of flat out not happening.  As a fan of any sport I can empathize with that. 

And if the NFL happens the season is going to be nuts.  Imagine Burrow or any QB or any player getting a fever and being locked in quarantine for 1/8th of the season immediately.  

Burrow could get the sniffles and we are watching Finley.  Oy
Reply/Quote
The Democrats are determined to lock down the country at all costs. I don't see the NFL having a full season. I can see them starting, but not ending. The narrative for this thing is all wrong and we allow the media to dictate it.

It is about death rates, who cares if someone gets sick, we get sick from something daily. We need the media to stop the fear attacks. In reality, those of us who walk with God accept leaving this earth so we are not afraid to die.

But, back on topic, I don't see the NFL or college football playing this fall. I do see the possibility of college moving season to spring in 2021 so we could see to college seasons in 2021. College football will figure out a way to get their money. Playing in spring and fall is a way this could happen.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 11:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The Democrats are determined to lock down the country at all costs. I don't see the NFL having a full season. I can see them starting, but not ending. The narrative for this thing is all wrong and we allow the media to dictate it.

It is about death rates, who cares if someone gets sick, we get sick from something daily. We need the media to stop the fear attacks. In reality, those of us who walk with God accept leaving this earth so we are not afraid to die.

But, back on topic, I don't see the NFL or college football playing this fall. I do see the possibility of college moving season to spring in 2021 so we could see to college seasons in 2021. College football will figure out a way to get their money. Playing in spring and fall is a way this could happen.

There is a whole P&R forum here where you can air your gripes about democrats and the media. 
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 11:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  those of us who walk with God accept leaving this earth so we are not afraid to die.

I don't care if people who believe in talking snakes and flying giants never wear seatbelts or go to the Doctor with a terminal illness (although from my personal experience I know this claim is bullshit).  If they want to die for some stupid preventable reason that is their decision.  But they don't have the right to spread the disease to people who like to stay alive.

So do whatever you want with fellow Christians.  Just not in public where you could harm other people.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 12:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't care if people who believe in talking snakes and flying giants never wear seatbelts or go to the Doctor with a terminal illness (although from my personal experience I know this claim is bullshit).  If they want to die for some stupid preventable reason that is their decision.  But they don't have the right to spread the disease to people who like to stay alive.

So do whatever you want with fellow Christians.  Just not in public where you could harm other people.

LOL, I have not been diagnosed with anything. If I have been, yes I would quarantine to protect others.

I take my temp daily and do all I can while living life to protect myself and others.

But, I will live my life. Those who want to stay in a bubble from fear, stay home. They are not my problem if they choose to go out in the world. No different from driving a car, do it responsibly and not my fault others do not and get killed as a result. Many ways to die, but in the end, I have made peace with God so I do not fear anything. I die when God says it is my time, my belief and you can have your own.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 11:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is about death rates, who cares if someone gets sick, we get sick from something daily.

It's about a lot more than simple death rates.  Sickness can cause long-term effects.  And we can not properly understand the effects related to Covid until more time passes.

In one hospital studies showed that 19% of the patients admitted with Covid eneded up with additional heart damage.  There's been countless reports of patients who were left with scarring of the lungs.  These are serious issues, and have to be at least considered and discussed before being simply dismissed because they did not result in death.

A sickness like this can lead to all sorts of things.  Having reduced lung capacity is no joke.  Heart damage is no joke.  You can't use death rates as the only factor in determing whether or not to take this seriously.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 01:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's about a lot more than simple death rates.  Sickness can cause long-term effects.  And we can not properly understand the effects related to Covid until more time passes.

In one hospital studies showed that 19% of the patients admitted with Covid eneded up with additional heart damage.  There's been countless reports of patients who were left with scarring of the lungs.  These are serious issues, and have to be at least considered and discussed before being simply dismissed because they did not result in death.

A sickness like this can lead to all sorts of things.  Having reduced lung capacity is no joke.  Heart damage is no joke.  You can't use death rates as the only factor in determing whether or not to take this seriously.

Don't forget massive medical debt and bankruptcy.  
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 11:00 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying we should feel badly for them as Bengals fans so much as they got hyped for this short term push and year 1 is in danger of flat out not happening.  As a fan of any sport I can empathize with that. 

And if the NFL happens the season is going to be nuts.  Imagine Burrow or any QB or any player getting a fever and being locked in quarantine for 1/8th of the season immediately.  

Burrow could get the sniffles and we are watching Finley.  Oy

I think we are already used to this waiting game.. the Concussions rules today pretty much keep most players out 1, 2 and longer weeks and probably 1/4 of teams lose their starting QB for multi games.. This is why you want a decent backup QB.. so that falls on the team
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 11:56 AM)Nately120 Wrote: There is a whole P&R forum here where you can air your gripes about democrats and the media. 

Well I don;t think we used P&R forum when we started talking about protests, civil unrest, social justice etc that would have been nice
Reply/Quote