Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How likely to see NFL
(06-17-2020, 12:43 PM)AussieBengal Wrote: We don't have anywhere near the rate of infection over here and have had the season suspended for 9 weeks, and now 3 weeks of no crowds. The local sporting competitions here have brought in very strict biosecurity protocols. 

Our airline industry has pretty much shutdown with one carrier already going bust despite receiving government assisitance.

Varies all across the country.  Some cities will be stricter than others.  Try SF, LA, MPLS, Chicago, NY for more strict.  But the NFL office will have to devise a strategy that works everywhere and doesn't screw one owner over others.
Good luck!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Usually I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy but I don't see any professional or college team sports reappearing until 2022 at the earliest.  All political talk aside, there are those who want things locked down as long as possible.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 08:33 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Usually I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy but I don't see any professional or college team sports reappearing until 2022 at the earliest.  All political talk aside, there are those who want things locked down as long as possible.

I don't know if I'd say all the way to 2022 ? However, I agree, this thing isn't anywhere near over.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 08:33 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Usually I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy but I don't see any professional or college team sports reappearing until 2022 at the earliest.  All political talk aside, there are those who want things locked down as long as possible.

The NHL and NBA will absolutely be playing soon.

Reply/Quote
The NBA is starting back up in less than a month, in Disneyworld/land/whatever.

The NFL apparently stands to lose 3-4 billion, with no fans; do any of you REALLY think they won't play and lose out on money from TV contracts and the like?

The games will 100% happen; we just don't know how the stadiums will look like.

EDIT* I think some funky autocorrect is going on here...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 10:02 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The NBA is starting back up in less than a month, in Disneyworld/land/whatever.

The NFL apparently stands to lose 3-4 billion, with no fans; do any of you REALLY think they won't play and lose out on money from TV contracts and the like?

It's gonna be a Trainwreck on some many levels. But if they must... Go ahead, and entertain me.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 12:25 PM)jason Wrote: It's gonna be a Trainwreck on some many levels. But if they must... Go ahead, and entertain me.

I think if they at least play without the fans, better to have the 3-4 billion loss, than even more.

It will be quiet and eerie, like during the recent wrestling shows.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 09:35 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know if I'd say all the way to 2022 ? However, I agree, this thing isn't anywhere near over.

I think the NFL will do their best to try to start the season on time, whether it's playing with no fans or whatever form it takes. My concern is what happens if teams start getting hit with increasing numbers of Covid-19 cases. What if a few teams get hit pretty hard, while other teams stay relatively free of cases?

It seems like it could lead to a competitive balance issue. I'm sure they've already talked about that and ways to deal with it, but it's going to be interesting to see how they address the different potential problems that may (and probably will) arise. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 02:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think the NFL will do their best to try to start the season on time, whether it's playing with no fans or whatever form it takes. My concern is what happens if teams start getting hit with increasing numbers of Covid-19 cases. What if a few teams get hit pretty hard, while other teams stay relatively free of cases?

It seems like it could lead to a competitive balance issue. I'm sure they've already talked about that and ways to deal with it, but it's going to be interesting to see how they address the different potential problems that may (and probably will) arise. 

Oh I'd say there will be issues. How many dress now ? 46 ? which is done in part to help teams with more injuries to stay competitive. Could they just lower dress number to 42 or whatever ?
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 12:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think if they at least play without the fans, better to have the 3-4 billion loss, than even more.

It will be quiet and eerie, like during the recent wrestling shows.

I haven't minded the shows at the Performance Center as much as seemingly every other wrestling fan. I often became tired of wrestling crowds thinking they were the stars of the show.

But after three months of it, even I'm looking forward to hearing "This is awesome" chants.

I sure hope we don't have to wait untill 2022 for football, but it's possible.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 06:06 PM)iowawriter Wrote: I haven't minded the shows at the Performance Center as much as seemingly every other wrestling fan. I often became tired of wrestling crowds thinking they were the stars of the show.

But after three months of it, even I'm looking forward to hearing "This is awesome" chants.

I sure hope we don't have to wait untill 2022 for football, but it's possible.

You ****** up! You ****** up! Ninja

Watching Botchamania with no crowds is hilarious Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 02:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think the NFL will do their best to try to start the season on time, whether it's playing with no fans or whatever form it takes. My concern is what happens if teams start getting hit with increasing numbers of Covid-19 cases. What if a few teams get hit pretty hard, while other teams stay relatively free of cases?

I listened to Mike Florio and Chris Simms talking about it.  They were pointing out that like the strike season of 87 they are going to have to get replacement players on speed dial...but the issue is that you might have replacement players playing next to and across from NFL players.  Basically the idea of having an NFL level pass rush coming at your QB when you have a replacement LT out there protecting his blind spot would be the issue.

During the strike you had replacement guys at every position, but the thought of putting a real NFL QB out there with replacement protection and so on is an odd thought. I'm optimistic for a 2020 season, but I don't see how NFL players aren't going to start missing games to the point where it's half an NFL team and half a taxi squad just trying to not get anyone killed.

Maybe even some high-profile players see the risk and say no way and the players try to get things called off.
Reply/Quote

Training camp will be the acid test.  Guys will be breathing droplets all over each other.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2020, 10:02 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The NBA is starting back up in less than a month, in Disneyworld/land/whatever.

It's not just the call of the NFL.  The NFLPA has already stated that they have not agreed to any of the protocols the league sent out.  They Player's Association can very well state we will not play in these circumstances.
Reply/Quote
It's gonna be like a strike year if they do end up playing. It will just not feel the same, many players may be missing, because they opt not to play or they get sick and get replaced by some unknown guy in the practice squad. That kind of year, with the lions winning the super bowl by freak chance and the aforementioned.
Reply/Quote
I really hope we have a season this year. Heck have empty stadiums and get a bunch of TV revenue. WE NEED FOOTBALL!!!!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote

The NFL also has the benefit of watching the NBA and NHL play the roles of canaries in the mine.  If things proceed relatively well with the summer re-opens, I like their chances.  

The NFL also makes like 70 percent of it's money from TV.  This is pretty stark compared to the other major sports.  No other league could get by as easily as they can from a money perspective with empty stadiums for a year.  They'll still make plenty with major precautions in place.

I think the major concern for all leagues is player availability and protocol for handling infection/spread.  The virus could play a huge role in the outcome on the field, and thus make the results kind of a joke from a W/L and championship perspective.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 12:15 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: It's gonna be like a strike year if they do end up playing. It will just not feel the same, many players may be missing, because they opt not to play or they get sick and get replaced by some unknown guy in the practice squad. That kind of year, with the lions winning the super bowl by freak chance and the aforementioned.

As Bengals fans with a rookie QB and a near 0% chance to win a normal SB shouldn't we like the idea of the status who of the same 5 or 6 teams winning it all getting a shake up?

A little unpredictable chaos may be beneficial for us. Teams like the Steelers, Bucs, Saints and any other win now roster should be the ones flipping out.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2020, 11:16 AM)Nately120 Wrote: As Bengals fans with a rookie QB and a near 0% chance to win a normal SB shouldn't we like the idea of the status who of the same 5 or 6 teams winning it all getting a shake up?

A little unpredictable chaos may be beneficial for us. Teams like the Steelers, Bucs, Saints and any other win now roster should be the ones flipping out.

Consider who is making the post and their posting history...
Reply/Quote
5 Phillies and 3 coaches tested positive for coronavirus. Sorry to say its all over for 2020. The players don't give a shit about following safety protocols. Its just gonna keep coming and coming. Being at the practice facility is one thing until they're sent home only to hit up bars and make out with random hotties.
Reply/Quote