Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How likely to see NFL
(06-19-2020, 04:13 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: 5 Phillies and 3 coaches tested positive for coronavirus. Sorry to say its all over for 2020. The players don't give a shit about following safety protocols. Its just gonna keep coming and coming. Being at the practice facility is one thing until they're sent home only to hit up bars and make out with random hotties.

Why are there tinfoil artists like this in the world?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I also think it's already over for sports this year. Baseball, kiss that goodbye.

I hope I'm wrong
Reply/Quote
More than half the NFL was already out protesting in the mass groups... being on the field with ~ 150 players and staff can’t be any worse...
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 07:55 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I also think it's already over for sports this year.  Baseball, kiss that goodbye.  

I hope I'm wrong

I hate it, but I'm starting to prepare myself for exactly that.  14 positives at Kansas State, 23 at Clemson, LSU and Houston with a bunch, too.  Does not instill confidence at all.
Reply/Quote
As a Bengal fan, I have a perfect solution. Just go to a 7 on 7 passing league tournament like they do for high school kids in some states during the offseason.

With our OL issues and loads of talent in the WR corps and secondary, it would be a good time for Bengals fans,
Reply/Quote
It's more likely to be no football than there'll be football. That's why no rookies are not not getting signed. THose that have.. probably have a huge "covid pre-nup" in their contract.
Reply/Quote
A lot can change in a couple of months, but with the recent news about the Cowboys, Bucs and other sports teams/players I would walk back my 99% certainty of a season.

I'm still confident that they find a way, but it's gonna require a lot of everyone involved.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2020, 10:50 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: A lot can change in a couple of months, but with the recent news about the Cowboys, Bucs and other sports teams/players I would walk back my 99% certainty of a season.

I'm still confident that they find a way, but it's gonna require a lot of everyone involved.

True.  It's possible that the number of reported cases go up and everyone continues to worry and exercise a high degree of caution.  

It's also possible that as cases go up, we start to view the virus as a part of life that's just there and move ahead with normal activities.  Idk, but either way it seems like a real resolution to the issue is a long way off.
Reply/Quote
Everyone should be fully prepared for no professional sports this year.

At least then if there miraculously is some form of season, everyone will be happy about it!
Reply/Quote
The big question is what they will do about the salary cap due to the Corona virus. I read an article saying the salary cap could drop in 2021 30 to 80 million that would just devastate every team in the league.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 10:02 AM)Synric Wrote: The big question is what they will do about the salary cap due to the Corona virus. I read an article saying the salary cap could drop in 2021 30 to 80 million that would just devastate every team in the league.

Players in sports around the world have had to take pay cuts.
Reply/Quote
The thing I don’t understand about shutting down sports is that the majority of athletes are extremely healthy, have access to top notch medical care and are checked by doctors weekly if not daily... keep the fans out if you must but keep the games going.

Make em sign a waiver and let’s start the season.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 10:49 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The thing I don’t understand about shutting down sports is that the majority of athletes are extremely healthy, have access to top notch medical care and are checked by doctors weekly if not daily... keep the fans out if you must but keep the games going.

Unless they are healthy enough to play with covid things are going to be a chaotic mess.  If a player tests positive and plays regardless it's going to spread to both teams and you'll have the NFL version of "the flu game" every week.

It's an NFC battle today as Tom Brady on a ventilator takes on Drew Brees with a 102 fever.  Brady's pass to Evans....interception because Evans slipped into a coma and couldnt complete his route!

Plus it's all fun and games until a 60+ year old coach or GM or 90+ year old owner catches death from an athlete. 
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 10:49 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The thing I don’t understand about shutting down sports is that the majority of athletes are extremely healthy, have access to top notch medical care and are checked by doctors weekly if not daily... keep the fans out if you must but keep the games going.

Because healthy people can suffer serious symptoms too.  Low risk =/= no risk.  And what about those players like Geno that have underlying health issues (ie. sickle cell)?  What about the coaches who are, on average, older and less physically robust?

And even if a player only exhibits mild symptoms, you're not going to play someone who's sick and can infect others.  So they're quarantined for a couple of weeks.  Now what happens if half your squad comes down with symptoms and can't play for 2 weeks? Now we are talking about forfeiting games.

And when you're sick, regardless of severity, the general rule of thumb is to give your body rest in order to recover. Intensive physical activity is not a good way to get better. If anything it aggravates the issue, especially where respiratory illness is concerned.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
With the expected second wave of Covid-19 in the fall, I'm unclear as to how the NFL will be able to start the season. The examples of collegiate teams experiencing an increasing number of cases seems to suggest that even practicing together is somewhat of a distant endeavor for NFL franchises at the moment.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 03:43 PM)Lucidus Wrote: With the expected second wave of Covid-19 in the fall, I'm unclear as to how the NFL will be able to start the season. The examples of collegiate teams experiencing an increasing number of cases seems to suggest that even practicing together is somewhat of a distant endeavor for NFL franchises at the moment.

Didn't take a week of practice here for an area HS football player to test positive. I doubt he's the only one. My confidence the season will happen scale is somewhere between 1 and zero at this point.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 02:17 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Because healthy people can suffer serious symptoms too.  Low risk =/= no risk.  And what about those players like Geno that have underlying health issues (ie. sickle cell)?  What about the coaches who are, on average, older and less physically robust?

And even if a player only exhibits mild symptoms, you're not going to play someone who's sick and can infect others.  So they're quarantined for a couple of weeks.  Now what happens if half your squad comes down with symptoms and can't play for 2 weeks? Now we are talking about forfeiting games.

And when you're sick, regardless of severity, the general rule of thumb is to give your body rest in order to recover. Intensive physical activity is not a good way to get better. If anything it aggravates the issue, especially where respiratory illness is concerned.

This... And at least 6 guys on the field at any given time are obese.

Tony Boselli ended up on a ventilator at age 47.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2020, 06:57 PM)jason Wrote: This... And at least 6 guys on the field at any given time are obese.

Tony Boselli ended up on a ventilator at age 47.

Not to mention all of the gameday staff that inhabit the sidelines and stadium, many of whom are not world-class athletes.  Far from it, in fact.  Factor in their spouses and immediate family members.  Now we're talking a single game exposure of over a thousand people, most of whom aren't even on the field or employed by the league.  And then, all the people they interact with.   All of this taking place when almost half our states are seeing spikes and on a New York-type trajectory, and with the planet just having set a one day global record for new infections.    

As time goes by I'm less optimistic about this happening.  So, like someone said upthread:  prepare for no professional sports.  And maybe, somehow, we'll be fortunate enough to see someone playing some sport at some point.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
That's the way it is as a bengals fan, when we finally get our QB to take us to the SB, Covid happens. Sad
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 07:55 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I also think it's already over for sports this year.  Baseball, kiss that goodbye.  

I hope I'm wrong

its as much over for Baseball for lack of agreement from players union.. maybe they are doing it on purpose but the Union seems like a greater obstacle than the Virus... 
Reply/Quote