Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many "top FA" OL could we sign?
(03-02-2022, 06:38 PM)J24 Wrote: He had the most penalties in the league last season and was benched last season by the Cowboys. I don't think his market is that huge and one year prove it deal should work for him.

Well, considering this year was an outlier for penalties for him id bet he cleans it up but I understand the line of thought 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There is no reason we cant sign 2 top 50 and 2 50-100 = 4 total

Salary Comparison:

Spain $4.75M,  Hopkins $7.1M,  Adeniji  $1M,  Reiff  $7M  That is $19.85M devoted to keeping the current O-Line.

Connor Williams $6.67M,  Ben Jones $6.67M,  James Daniels $10M,  Morgan Moses $7.5M  That is $30.84M for an improved O-Line

We could keep the line we had last season or spend $11M more and upgrade 4 positions.  If you didnt want to spend $11M more you could probably sign Karras at $4.33M and put him at right guard instead of Daniels as Karras can play both guard and center positions.

This would leave you Connor Williams $6.67M,  Ben Jones $6.67M,   Karras $4.33M,  Morgan Moses $7.5M for a total of $25.17M   This starting O-Line would only cost $5.32M more than our current starting line.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 12:18 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: There is no reason we cant sign 2 top 50 and 2 50-100 = 4 total

Salary Comparison:

Spain $4.75M,  Hopkins $7.1M,  Adeniji  $1M,  Reiff  $7M  That is $19.85M devoted to keeping the current O-Line.

Connor Williams $6.67M,  Ben Jones $6.67M,  James Daniels $10M,  Morgan Moses $7.5M  That is $30.84M for an improved O-Line

We could keep the line we had last season or spend $11M more and upgrade 4 positions.  If you didnt want to spend $11M more you could probably sign Karras at $4.33M and put him at right guard instead of Daniels as Karras can play both guard and center positions.

This would leave you Connor Williams $6.67M,  Ben Jones $6.67M,   Karras $4.33M,  Morgan Moses $7.5M for a total of $25.17M   This starting O-Line would only cost $5.32M more than our current starting line.

Love your thoughts here 007. Do it. Rock On
Reply/Quote
So ill start off by saying im not at smart as a lot of guys on this board when it comes to certain things, but one thing i have read a lot of is how Burrow is responsible for quite a few sacks, and obviously our Oline needs some work, but is it really that far away from being serviceable? it seems most want a complete overhaul, But im looking at this (and im tossing random numbers, cause i dont know the real ones) lets say burrow could have avoided 7-8 of the 51 sacks he took last season (2021) and lets say Reiff didnt get hurt, and having him in there could have prevented another 5 sacks now youre down to 38 from 51, and then there is spain maybe he could have prevented 1-2 from occuring. Now im not saying we dont need OL help. but i dont believe we need to replace the whole line. I would like to keep some $ and resign Bates. and help the defense as well. What about J.C Jackson to replace Waynes, and not resign Apple. I could be way off here, but i just dont think we need a complete new line. I hate to use the word serviceable, but I just dont think we need to spend every penny available on the Oline like a lot of guys here. You could say we got thrashed by LA in the SB because of our line, and you wouldnt be wrong, but their D thrashed everyone. If those numbers i mentioned were able to be attained, that would literally put Burrow in the middle of the pack, or average if you will of the 2021 sack totals.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 06:53 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: ...But im looking at this (and im tossing random numbers, cause i dont know the real ones) lets say burrow could have avoided 7-8 of the 51 sacks he took last season (2021) and lets say Reiff didnt get hurt, and having him in there could have prevented another 5 sacks now youre down to 38 from 51, and then there is spain maybe he could have prevented 1-2 from occuring...

The line was bad even when everyone was healthy.  If we think we can roll in to next season keeping Spain at LG, Hopkins at C, Reiff at RT and just replaing Adeniji at RG and this line is going to even be mediocre, we are going to see Burrow get hurt.  The problems on the Oline were not just because of Adeniji or Reiff getting hurt.  They were bad in the regular season and severely exposed in the playoffs

(03-04-2022, 06:53 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: You could say we got thrashed by LA in the SB because of our line, and you wouldnt be wrong,  but their D thrashed everyone. If those numbers i mentioned were able to be attained, that would literally put Burrow in the middle of the pack, or average if you will of the 2021 sack totals.

LA's defense is really good.  If we had even a decent Oline we win the Super Bowl.  Nobody here is talking about making this Oline elite.  Most every free agent being talked about has PFF grades in the 70s.  This is not elite level talent were are talking about bringing in, it is just upgrading the horrible talent we have now on the O-line to make the line acceptable.  
Reply/Quote