Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to protect Joe Burrow, and win this game.
My take aways to beating the Chiefs and winning the Super Bowl.

1. The offensive line needs to get on a man and do the best they can. Give burrow .25-.5 second longer on average per play.
2. The bengals coaching staff needs a better game plan. Quick, short and efficient passes. 10-15 yard routes may not be the key to winning this game, and I don’t think it needs to be. Play like the 2003-2004 patriots, make the passing game an extension of the running game. These wide receivers are beyond capable of YAC. Joe burrow doesn’t need to average 10 ypc an attempt. If he goes 35-45 for 300 yards and 3 tds (like Brady did back in those days) the bengals will be in it at the end.
3. Joe burrow needs to get rid of the ball faster.

I truly believe if you do those things, instead of 2nd and 15 every play, we can be ahead of the chains and be 2nd and 5 +/-.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:51 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: My take aways to beating the Chiefs and winning the Super Bowl.

1.  The offensive line needs to get on a man and do the best they can.  Give burrow .25-.5 second longer on average per play.
2.  The bengals coaching staff needs a better game plan.  Quick, short and efficient passes.  10-15 yard routes may not be the key to winning this game, and I don’t think it needs to be.  Play like the 2003-2004 patriots, make the passing game an extension of the running game.  These wide receivers are beyond capable of YAC.  Joe burrow doesn’t need to average 10 ypc an attempt. If he goes 35-45 for 300 yards and 3 tds (like Brady did back in those days) the bengals will be in it at the end.
3.  Joe burrow needs to get rid of the ball faster.

I truly believe if you do those things, instead of 2nd and 15 every play, we can be ahead of the chains and be 2nd and 5 +/-.

yes and maybe less empty set backfields, its going to be another potential sackfest....you know KC is looking at what Titans did.  
lets hope teh coaches come up with the best schemes to give us a shot at Arrowhead this time. It wont be easy but this team seems to have some magic this season that helps tilt things thier way.  
Reply/Quote
Offense: AVOID 3rd & long (5 or more yards) situations and keep the chains moving; long time-consuming drives; I hope there is an outlet pass this time.
Defense: TACKLE on the first hit; Chiefs will get their's but need to prevent anything more after the catch.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:15 PM)kalibengal Wrote: yes and maybe less empty set backfields, its going to be another potential sackfest....you know KC is looking at what Titans did.  
lets hope teh coaches come up with the best schemes to give us a shot at Arrowhead this time. It wont be easy but this team seems to have some magic this season that helps tilt things thier way.  

If they go empty set, should they bring in a 6th OL? I know they run the risk of having a double team on someone in that scenerio, but I’m just thinking outside the box.
Reply/Quote
Agree

The short to intermediate stuff with a few shots here and there. If they can get just a few productive runs mix in a couple play actions.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 11:51 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: My take aways to beating the Chiefs and winning the Super Bowl.

1.  The offensive line needs to get on a man and do the best they can.  Give burrow .25-.5 second longer on average per play.
2.  The bengals coaching staff needs a better game plan.  Quick, short and efficient passes.  10-15 yard routes may not be the key to winning this game, and I don’t think it needs to be.  Play like the 2003-2004 patriots, make the passing game an extension of the running game.  These wide receivers are beyond capable of YAC.  Joe burrow doesn’t need to average 10 ypc an attempt. If he goes 35-45 for 300 yards and 3 tds (like Brady did back in those days) the bengals will be in it at the end.
3.  Joe burrow needs to get rid of the ball faster.

1.They're doing the best they can as players. 3 undrafted OL starting ain't suppose to win you any regular season games let alone a playoff game. This is on the coaching staff.

2. Agree. Love the quick hitters to the WR's. Even a play that looks dead nets you 4-5 yards many times and if the DB misses (see the Titans DB against Chase) it can go for big yards. Need to roll JB out more and get him on the edge with defenders chasing him instead of a sitting target.

3.We have no idea if the route is even there for him to get rid of it faster. He has to wait until plays develop. At the expense of throwing a pick, I'll take the sack. Read so many posts from people (not you) that have no idea what Intentional Grounding is as they just said for JB to get rid of the ball. Can't do that between the hash marks. Problem on saturday was the Titans brought pressure from both their DE's and the interior of the OL. That is a terrible mix. I can live with constant pressure from one or the other as JB can then either step up more and/or get outside the pocket more to buy time or get rid of the ball to live another down.
Reply/Quote
The key is that we aren't playing the Titans front or even the Raiders or Bills.

I think the Chiefs defense was the best case scenario for us, but the Chiefs offense might be worse case. I like the offense's chances, but we will defnitely have to get some turnovers to win this game.
Reply/Quote
Defense needs to have an answer for the pick play. The big play last night that got the Chiefs down to the goaline in OT was a REALLY bad pick play with Kelce and Pringle taking out the defenders and giving Hardman a free run through. If I am Zach Taylor I am talking to the officials before the game and asking them to put an emphasis on watching for that, specifically out of bunch formation.
Reply/Quote
As to some of the comments about empty, the Titans are one of the best in the league in late rotations. They show one thing and post snap roll to another exotic coverage which forced Burrow to hold the ball a bit at times. That isn't really the Chiefs MO so I wouldn't worry to much about them trying to emulate what TEN did. As for empty as an idea, yes stay in it and move Chase inside for it. When we go empty they are going to go 2 high for sure so we want to be able to split the coverage down the middle with Chase.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:37 PM)higgy100 Wrote: 1.They're doing the best they can as players. 3 undrafted OL starting ain't suppose to win you any regular season games let alone a playoff game. This is on the coaching staff.

2. Agree. Love the quick hitters to the WR's. Even a play that looks dead nets you 4-5 yards many times and if the DB misses (see the Titans DB against Chase) it can go for big yards. Need to roll JB out more and get him on the edge with defenders chasing him instead of a sitting target.

3.We have no idea if the route is even there for him to get rid of it faster. He has to wait until plays develop. At the expense of throwing a pick, I'll take the sack. Read so many posts from people (not you) that have no idea what Intentional Grounding is as they just said for JB to get rid of the ball. Can't do that between the hash marks. Problem on saturday was the Titans brought pressure from both their DE's and the interior of the OL. That is a terrible mix. I can live with constant pressure from one or the other as JB can then either step up more and/or get outside the pocket more to buy time or get rid of the ball to live another down.

There is no excuse for 9 sacks, regardless of draft status. With that said I think OL only should get 60-70% of the blame.

I think with a better game plan, ie- shorter, quicker and more efficient routes will ultimately lead to burrow getting rid of the ball faster.

4 yards per play is a first down. We all know the bengals can convert 2nd and 3rd and long… but how good would we feel about 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 3.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: As to some of the comments about empty, the Titans are one of the best in the league in late rotations. They show one thing and post snap roll to another exotic coverage which forced Burrow to hold the ball a bit at times. That isn't really the Chiefs MO so I wouldn't worry to much about them trying to emulate what TEN did. As for empty as an idea, yes stay in it and move Chase inside for it. When we go empty they are going to go 2 high for sure so we want to be able to split the coverage down the middle with Chase.

That’s true, but Chris Jones, frank clark and Co are no slouch.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:51 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: That’s true, but Chris Jones, frank clark and Co are no slouch.

They were a problem last game but not like what we saw Saturday at all. I feel fine handling them with a 5 man front and honestly, by going empty you are baiting Spagnola to send extra blitzers which is what we want. 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:49 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: There is no excuse for 9 sacks, regardless of draft status.  With that said I think OL only should get 60-70% of the blame.  

I think with a better game plan, ie- shorter, quicker and more efficient routes will ultimately lead to burrow getting rid of the ball faster.  

4 yards per play is a first down.  We all know the bengals can convert 2nd and 3rd and long… but how good would we feel about 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 3.

Who said it was an excuse? There's a reality here and they went against the 2nd best DL in the NFL in total sacks and QB pressures. And this was going against a Bengals team that hasn't had even a decent rushing attack for half a dozen games or more. Terrible recipe.

You ain't going to plug anybody in there to solve the issues. Maybe they'll be better against KC but this is entirely on the coaches and type of game plan they present to keep KC more on their heels.
Reply/Quote
Block better.

I know ZT will come up with good protection schemes but the right side just needs to block better. There’s really no magic fix for this. What Burrow can do is throw more screens and running back dump offs but you can’t screen every play so the line just has to bow up. We’ll help them out by doubling Jones but everyone who projects to have 1 on 1s just need to win their matchups.

I’d guess that KC is game planning around the fact that it’s a high probability they’ll win their 1 on 1s in the trenches so if we come out and win these interactions early i kinda believe we’d throw them off. Especially right after giving up 9 sacks.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: As to some of the comments about empty, the Titans are one of the best in the league in late rotations. They show one thing and post snap roll to another exotic coverage which forced Burrow to hold the ball a bit at times. That isn't really the Chiefs MO so I wouldn't worry to much about them trying to emulate what TEN did. As for empty as an idea, yes stay in it and move Chase inside for it. When we go empty they are going to go 2 high for sure so we want to be able to split the coverage down the middle with Chase.

Iv said it before about the empty sets. I think we do them because it’s easier for Joe to see sacks and protect the ball. You notice how Joe rarely fumbles or even has fumble scares on these sacks? It’s because he’s got time to get down and brace for the hit. He’s never really surprise sacked from behind or anything. QBs tend to be less aware when they’ve got a running back back there to help.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Against KC??
Let Joe be Joe. Him and Chase/Tee/Boyd/CJ will feast. KC def is NOT on Titan level.
In the first match up, Chase had more rec yards than Patrick had in Passing yards.

Keep Hill contained and Tre on Kelce like we did the first time.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: They were a problem last game but not like what we saw Saturday at all. I feel fine handling them with a 5 man front and honestly, by going empty you are baiting Spagnola to send extra blitzers which is what we want. 

After the performance on Saturday you shouldn't feel fine about our line blocking anyone. I would feel fine if we had an entire new right side. You can find guys off the street that pass protect better than those two.
Reply/Quote
How do we protect Joe Burrow?

Pray that the RG position magically becomes average
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: How do we protect Joe Burrow?

Pray that the RG position magically becomes average

Or don't play the Titans again.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Or don't play the Titans again.

Do you like our interior’s chances against Aaron Donald if we make it that far?
Reply/Quote