Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How will Mike Brown spend his extra 10 million
(03-09-2018, 06:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what this even means.  We have replaced every player that left.

Yep, we sure have.  Just usually with a bum or a draft pick that couldn't fill their shoes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 12:43 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: What will Mike Brown be doing with his 10 Million!?

Already Spent  Ninja

[Image: rolls-royce-phantom-viii-launch-1.jpg?au...bd2e7d18f0]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 07:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, we sure have.  Just usually with a bum or a draft pick that couldn't fill their shoes.

Smith->Fisher
Whitworth->Ogbuehi
Jones->LaFell
Sanu->Boyd
Nelson->Williams
Zeitler->Hopkins

Downgrade at every single one of those spots (so far).

With that said though, the Bengals could not have retained them all. No way. But they do need to do a better job of drafting better players and/or developing them if they are going to keep with their strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 11:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Smith->Fisher
Whitworth->Ogbuehi
Jones->LaFell
Sanu->Boyd
Nelson->Williams
Zeitler->Hopkins

With that said though, the Bengals could not have retained them all. No way. But they do need to do a better job of drafting better players and/or developing them if they are going to keep with their strategy.

Correct, there just isn't enough money to keep everyone around.  The Bengals got lucky and hit a couple of drafts with really strong picks that panned out.  That was just enough to convince the management that they didn't need to invest in more scouting, because it appeared that what they were doing was working just fine.

With the management being so entrenched in the idea of their way is the only way that the business of running a team should be done, I was actually pretty impressed by the mini-overhaul of the coaching staff this year.  If that pays off, like it should, we should see much better production from the role players on this team.  The truth is that it is impossible to have a star at every position, the rest of the roster needs to take up the slack.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 12:43 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Ok Bengals fans it that time of year! Free Agency is next week and the NFL raised the cap by 10 million to 177.2 million. Since we all know the Bengals won't be getting any REAL difference makers in Free Agency. What will Mike Brown be doing with his 10 Million!?

Looks like another raise for the GM!

An new deal for Bodine. Ninja
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It seems like it’s not so much about not spending but about overspending on guys that don’t perform well. It seems like year after year that guys that don’t perform well get brought back for too much money. 2 duds making 3 mil a year are resigned or kept vs going with a new 5 mil guy and a rookie. I am interested in seeing how Pacman and Bodine shake out this offseason. It would be great to see an old dog learn a new trick.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 07:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, we sure have.  Just usually with a bum or a draft pick that couldn't fill their shoes.

Whitworth->Ogbuehi
Jones->LaFell
Sanu->Boyd
Nelson->Williams
Zeitler->Hopkins

Exactly, Fred saying "we have replaced every player that left" is the definition of crazy.

Of course we did, have to have a full roster don't we. We can replace Geno Atkins with Jim Belushi next.

Replaced. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 07:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, Fred saying "we have replaced every player that left" is the definition of crazy.

Of course we did, have to have a full roster don't we. We can replace Geno Atkins with Jim Belushi next.

Replaced. ThumbsUp

It's just Fred being Fred. Why people continue to acknowledge and feed the Fred I'll never know Whatever
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 11:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Correct, there just isn't enough money to keep everyone around.  The Bengals got lucky and hit a couple of drafts with really strong picks that panned out.  That was just enough to convince the management that they didn't need to invest in more scouting, because it appeared that what they were doing was working just fine.

With the management being so entrenched in the idea of their way is the only way that the business of running a team should be done, I was actually pretty impressed by the mini-overhaul of the coaching staff this year.  If that pays off, like it should, we should see much better production from the role players on this team.  The truth is that it is impossible to have a star at every position, the rest of the roster needs to take up the slack.

Not sure it was luck. Gruden came and offensive draft picks immediately started hitting regularly. 

Dalton, AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eiffert, Sanu, Zeitler, and Gio. 

Gruden left and the whiffs started happening. Coincidence, I think not.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 07:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, Fred saying "we have replaced every player that left" is the definition of crazy.

Replaced. ThumbsUp

Got to take it with a grain of salt sometimes and understand his agenda. Stimulation of conversational debates. 

He says in one thread that playoff wins are nothing compared to regular season wins comparing team A to B. 

Then on same day he rips Zimmer for only going 1-2 in playoffs in first 4 years saying nothing of his season record ?

In first he was making a case about how good Marvin is although not winning any playoff games. Turns around and bashes Zimmer for only having one playoff win in 4 years.

Neglects to mention that Zimmer has gone to 3 playoffs in 4 years with one win. While Marvin only did it once in 4 years with zero wins in his first 4 seasons. 

But it is much more entertaining with him around. Not hating even though I take the bait hook, line, and sinker often. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 12:04 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: An new deal for Bodine. Ninja

Already know it is coming. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
They didn't need to keep everyone. Had they kept Jones and Whitworth, I think things would be looking a little better. They thought they were keeping Jones, but he chose Detroit. There was no excuse for not keeping Whitworth. I understand letting Sanu walk because of the price tag, same with Zeitler.

As for the money, the Bengals could spend more. They constantly save $5m for injuries. We've never spent that much and I don't see us ever spending that much. We rollover money every year. Some of that could be spent on retaining players or actually signing a good free agent. We're not going to keep every player and we shouldn't keep every player. However, they could do a better job than they have been doing.
Reply/Quote
Whitworth->Ogbuehi
Jones->LaFell
Sanu->Boyd
Nelson->Williams
Zeitler->Hopkins

We lost two great O-linemen and we used a first and second rouns pick on replacement.

We lost our #2 WR and we used a first round pick to replace him.

Williams and Iloka looked like solid replacements when we let Nelson walk.

The problem is not in the scheme.  The problem has been in the execution.  We have not gotten the production we should have from Og, Fisher, and Ross.

And here is the biggest problem I see with the bengals.  Even the best teams in the league miss on high draft picks.  It happens every year.  And when the system of drafting replacements fails you need to step into free agency if you have a contending team.  I have no problem with a team that is very conservative in free agency, but when that team gets to the point that it is a legit contender it needs to step up and make the extra move needed to get them over the hump.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 08:12 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Got to take it with a grain of salt sometimes and understand his agenda. Stimulation of conversational debates. 

He says in one thread that playoff wins are nothing compared to regular season wins comparing team A to B. 

Then on same day he rips Zimmer for only going 1-2 in playoffs in first 4 years saying nothing of his season record ?

In first he was making a case about how good Marvin is although not winning any playoff games. Turns around and bashes Zimmer for only having one playoff win in 4 years.

Neglects to mention that Zimmer has gone to 3 playoffs in 4 years with one win. While Marvin only did it once in 4 years with zero wins in his first 4 seasons. 

But it is much more entertaining with him around. Not hating even though I take the bait hook, line, and sinker often. 

Sad when people can't address what I actually say so instead they make up "straw man" versions that are easy to knock down.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2018, 11:21 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: They didn't need to keep everyone. Had they kept Jones and Whitworth, I think things would be looking a little better. They thought they were keeping Jones, but he chose Detroit. There was no excuse for not keeping Whitworth. I understand letting Sanu walk because of the price tag, same with Zeitler.

Again, I may be a minority of 1, but I call bull hockey on this everytime I see it. (not your post specifically, but people moaning about Jones and Whit leaving) First off, Jones left the same money he was offered in Detroit on the table here in Cincinnati. He did not want to be a #2 receiver, and the only way to keep him would have been to let Green go. He left to be a #1 and build his brand in a bigger market. People need to let that go, paying him more than he was offered, to be a #2, would have been insane. As for Whit, again, he was offered the same money the Rams gave him, but for only a 1 year deal. At his age, a multi-year deal is also insane. He could have been loyal to the team that made him a multi-multi-millionaire and given them the hometown discount and stayed on a year to year basis, but he got pissed when we drafted what was supposed to be his eventual replacement, and pouted every since. He has no loyalty. Screw him. He cannot beat father time...  when he retires, I hope Mike Brown makes him retire a Ram....
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 11:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Again, I may be a minority of 1, but I call bull hockey on this everytime I see it. (not your post specifically, but people moaning about Jones and Whit leaving) First off, Jones left the same money he was offered in Detroit on the table here in Cincinnati. He did not want to be a #2 receiver, and the only way to keep him would have been to let Green go. He left to be a #1 and build his brand in a bigger market. People need to let that go, paying him more than he was offered, to be a #2, would have been insane. As for Whit, again, he was offered the same money the Rams gave him, but for only a 1 year deal. At his age, a multi-year deal is also insane. He could have been loyal to the team that made him a multi-multi-millionaire and given them the hometown discount and stayed on a year to year basis, but he got pissed when we drafted what was supposed to be his eventual replacement, and pouted every since. He has no loyalty. Screw him. He cannot beat father time...  when he retires, I hope Mike Brown makes him retire a Ram....

Of all the players we've lost, those were the 2 that would've helped the most had we kept them. Jones is better than LaFell and Whitworth is better than any tackle on the roster. Now, I'm not saying it's entirely the Bengals fault these 2 guys walked. According to the Bengals, they thought they had Jones wrapped up and went to bed to wake up and find out he signed in Detroit. That was Jones' decision. However, if the team wanted him back, don't go to sleep until the contract is signed. Again, Jones made the decision to leave but the team said they felt he was coming back. If he was a priority, they shouldn't have stopped until he signed the contract.

As for Whitworth, a 2 year deal wouldn't have been insane. The Bengals saw how well his replacement was working out and they should've done more to keep Whitworth. Again, he ultimately made the decision to bolt, but the team kept telling everyone he was coming back. That was the word at the combine. Lewis was telling everyone Whit was in the fold. Nothing is guaranteed until you get that contract signed and it hits the league office.

I know this wasn't directed at me personally, I'm just saying I think the Bengals didn't handle things perfectly. I'm also saying those are the 2 we've lost in recent years that would've benefited us the most to keep. Roster turnover is going to happen. There's no way around it. However, everyone points to Whit's age as to why we offered a one year deal, but a lot of people were on board with signing Pacman to a multi-year deal.

As to hometown discounts, I don't believe in that. This is their job and they are free to make as much as they can. Same for me. If I have multiple job offers, more than likely I'm taking the highest offer. We all would. Professional athletes are no different.
Reply/Quote
Well, I hear the Lumina is ready for new seat covers. And maybe a cushy steering wheel cover. And one of those cup holders you hang on the door.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Welcome Cordy Glenn. Now we know how MB spent the 10 million. Next question?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote