Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How will we do in the North in 2021
(05-04-2021, 12:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Why did he have no shot at winning in years 1 and 2?

Personnel!! Injuries depleted the roster even further in year 2. You can’t possibly believe the players he inherited where a winning group.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The Browns have had tremendous rosters before and squandered them. History suggests they do it again.

Doesn't this also apply to the Bengals, though? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:57 PM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: Personnel!! Injuries depleted the roster even further in year 2. You can’t possibly believe the players he inherited where a winning group.

Marvin Lewis got 6 wins out of them, didn't he?
Reply/Quote
2-4.

Split with Pitt. Winless vs Browns & Ravens.

6-11 overall.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Marvin Lewis got 6 wins out of them, didn't he?

MarvBall always scrapes out a few wins. It’s like putting money on red or black in roulette... you’ll win... but you’re a ***** and won’t be winning big.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Marvin Lewis got 6 wins out of them, didn't he?

Your not comparing apples and oranges.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: MarvBall always scrapes out a few wins. It’s like putting money on red or black in roulette... you’ll win... but you’re a ***** and won’t be winning big.

That would explain why ZT's biggest claim to fame that he is amazing at losing close games, I guess?  

(05-04-2021, 01:06 PM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: Your not comparing apples and oranges.

Wait, doesn't that mean my comparison is apt, then?
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:06 PM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: Your not comparing apples and oranges.

Would you like it if he made apples and oranges comparisons?
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:57 PM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: Personnel!! Injuries depleted the roster even further in year 2. You can’t possibly believe the players he inherited where a winning group.

He certainly inherited a group that was better than 6-25-1.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 07:16 AM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: Can Bengals go 4-2 in AFC North?

No. The most realistic range of outcomes is 3-3 to 1-5. The Ravens and Browns are superior teams. Steelers look beatable, but could take advantage of the still weak o-line. The Bengals should be more exciting than they were in 2020, but are likely a 5-7 win team.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote

How did Kevin Stefanski get 11 wins out of a Browns team that was 6-10 the year before and hadn't had a winning season in almost two decades, then?  Did he make a deal with some deviled eggs or something?

EDIT - Wait, that's more like a decade and some change I think.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How did Kevin Stefanski get 11 wins out of a Browns team that was 6-10 the year before and hadn't had a winning season in almost two decades, then?  Did he make a deal with some deviled eggs or something?

Quit making apples and apples comparisons!!!!

You've already been called out for this nonsense.   Ninja 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Quit making apples and apples comparisons!!!!

You've already been called out for this nonsense.   Ninja 

I don't want to seem pessimistic, but lordy the notion that the rest of the AFC North is going to go from 11 or 12 wins into losing territory and we're going to turn it around on a dime is just too good to be true.  We'd be like the NFC East in that case, where the Steelers, Ravens, and Browns are all so bad that the Bengals just need to find their arse with both hands and make the playoffs.

I think we will be better in 2021 obviously, but I just don't see the rest of the division taking a nosedive. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't want to seem pessimistic, but lordy the notion that the rest of the AFC North is going to go from 11 or 12 wins into losing territory and we're going to turn it around on a dime is just too good to be true.  We'd be like the NFC East in that case, where the Steelers, Ravens, and Browns are all so bad that the Bengals just need to find their arse with both hands and make the playoffs.

I think we will be better in 2021 obviously, but I just don't see the rest of the division taking a nosedive. 

The Steelers may be in for a fall ? Much depends on Pig Ben. 

But the Ravens and Browns will most likely have winning records at a minimum. To be honest I don't have a lot of faith Mayfield is the real deal. But hell. We've lost games to the Browns in many seasons where they had Joe Umptyscratch at QB and they only had 3 or 4 wins on the season.

If we go 3-3 I'll be happy.
Reply/Quote
possible 2-4,... Tough division on Defense we still probably rank 4th and on Offense as good as Burrow showed as a rookie, still have Ben and Jackson ahead of him and tied with Mayfield , Browns have best running game then Ravens and maybe we could be tied with Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Steelers may be in for a fall ? Much depends on Pig Ben. 

But the Ravens and Browns will most likely have winning records at a minimum. To be honest I don't have a lot of faith Mayfield is the real deal. But hell. We've lost games to the Browns in many seasons where they had Joe Umptyscratch at QB and they only had 3 or 4 wins on the season.

If we go 3-3 I'll be happy.

I'd have more faith in the Steelers collapsing with Ben if they didn't go 8-8 without him in 2019.  I'd have more faith in the Browns collapsing in 2021 if they didn't do well in 2020 because they made wise personnel and coaching changes that helped them succeed (and they also did a lot to fix their glaring issue in the secondary).

I'd also be happy with 3-3 in the division.  Ideally, we can start to actually win in the AFC North because we are, you know....good?  I guess we could ideally shoot for being like the Patriots in the Tom Brady era where we are awesome but also got to mess around all year because our division is such a joke...but my breath...ain't being held.
Reply/Quote
I expect 1-5, but 2-4 is probably the ceiling this year. If we can get to 6 wins overall, I would feel like we're moving in the right direction. Anything less than that and Zac has to be gone.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd have more faith in the Steelers collapsing with Ben if they didn't go 8-8 without him in 2019.  I'd have more faith in the Browns collapsing in 2021 if they didn't do well in 2020 because they made wise personnel and coaching changes that helped them succeed (and they also did a lot to fix their glaring issue in the secondary).

I'd also be happy with 3-3 in the division.  Ideally, we can start to actually win in the AFC North because we are, you know....good?  I guess we could ideally shoot for being like the Patriots in the Tom Brady era where we are awesome but also got to mess around all year because our division is such a joke...but my breath...ain't being held.

Yep

And I'm in no way convinced ZT and Co. can get it done. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:42 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I expect 1-5, but 2-4 is probably the ceiling this year. If we can get to 6 wins overall, I would feel like we're moving in the right direction. Anything less than that and Zac has to be gone.

I think most organizations can a coach who averages 4 wins his first 3 seasons. I would've fired him after each of his first 2 seasons, but he's gotta get at least 8 this year for me to be ok with keeping him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

And I'm in no way convinced ZT and Co. can get it done. 

Yeah, if ZT doesn't have a winning season I've seen more than enough.  You have a guy who has a resume that says he can't get it done and then he gives you two years of evidence that he can't get it done.  Three strikes and he's out and I can't imagine he's going to be off to HC another team to the SB and make us look stupid, either.

Just my take. 
Reply/Quote