Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How will we do in the North in 2021
(05-04-2021, 11:07 AM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: Out coached LMAO!! Paul Brown couldn’t have won with the 2 rosters ZT had to work with. Don’t forget year 1 at some point he was trying to lose to get the number 1 pick. This entire team has been turned over since ZT has been on the job. This is the first year he has had a roster that could compete. This team has been rebuilt. Anything over 500 will be gravey this year. Trying to grade this coaching staff on the first two years is insanity.

I bet Dave Shula could've though lol j/k ...i mean if you would've seen some of the rosters he had to work with you'd think Zac had a team full of Pro Bowlers to work with. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:06 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Sled, i agree with everything you said above with the exception of one thing,  Until this teams record improves it basically is the "show up just to get your check" Bengals.  6-25-1 in 2 seasons doesn't exactly say hey folks I'm a winner baby!...

I disagree. Yeah, the record sucks, everyone knows this. It takes time for a new coaching staff to get the players they want to run the systems that want to run. That is one reason MB is so loath to change coaches all the time like Cleveland. But if you were around for the "show up and collect your checks" teams, it was very apparent this was a Sunday job to those players and they didn't really care whether they won or lost as long as they got paid. I don't think you could point to a single player on today's team and say they don't care about winning. In fact, you can tell they hate it, as most of them were brought in from winning programs now, and they seem to be behind what the coaches are building. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I disagree. Yeah, the record sucks, everyone knows this. It takes time for a new coaching staff to get the players they want to run the systems that want to run. That is one reason MB is so loath to change coaches all the time like Cleveland. But if you were around for the "show up and collect your checks" teams, it was very apparent this was a Sunday job to those players and they didn't really care whether they won or lost as long as they got paid. I don't think you could point to a single player on today's team and say they don't care about winning. In fact, you can tell they hate it, and they seem to be behind what the coaches are building. 

well then all i can do is "HOPE" that we see better results this year, because it's hard to say that Dave Shula had a better record through 32 games than Zac Taylor as a fan and still be excited about the direction of the team. 

I think this team has talent.  I think this team is drafting well.  Do I think a coach who's only been a QB coach at the highest level is a great coach? That's like saying lets hire Kerry Combs as the head coach next time because he's made it to be a DB coach in the NFL and a DC in college.  Do I think he'd made a great NFL head coach...IMO...no i dont. 
Reply/Quote
2-4. I think we split with the Steelers and Browns but the Ravens will again prove to be too much. I’m sorry but I still have the past couple years’ bad taste in my mouth with all the rushing yards they’ve piled on us. I hope they prove me wrong and can win at least one against them but I just feel like the Ravens are to Zac what the Steelers were to Marvin.
Reply/Quote
1-5 in the division. The Steelers have taken a step back but the Browns keep improving, and the Ravens are always good.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:08 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I bet Dave Shula could've though lol j/k ...i mean if you would've seen some of the rosters he had to work with you'd think Zac had a team full of Pro Bowlers to work with. 

Lol!! In the Shula era we never signed FA’s and drafted horribly. MB has changed a bit in recent years. Especially spending money and investing in the team.

Look I’m not saying ZT is the answer but grading him on the roster he was dealt the first two years coupled with the injuries is crazy. I think the plan when he was hired was to redo the roster and rebuild. This year will be his first with a team capable of winning some games. For me his reign starts now. The last 2 years we were competing for the number 1 draft pick and turning over the roster. Now it’s time to compete.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:26 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: 2-4. I think we split with the Steelers and Browns but the Ravens will again prove to be too much. I’m sorry but I still have the past couple years’ bad taste in my mouth with all the rushing yards they’ve piled on us. I hope they prove me wrong and can win at least one against them but I just feel like the Ravens are to Zac what the Steelers were to Marvin.

ZT never had the personnel to compete with the Ravens. Marvin had teams that could have beat the Steelers and didn’t. Your comparison is apples and oranges.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:14 AM)TJ528 Wrote: well then all i can do is "HOPE" that we see better results this year, because it's hard to say that Dave Shula had a better record through 32 games than Zac Taylor as a fan and still be excited about the direction of the team. 

I think this team has talent.  I think this team is drafting well.  Do I think a coach who's only been a QB coach at the highest level is a great coach? That's like saying lets hire Kerry Combs as the head coach next time because he's made it to be a DB coach in the NFL and a DC in college.  Do I think he'd made a great NFL head coach...IMO...no i dont. 

Fair enough if you want to question the Coaches capabilities. But in my mind the grading starts this year not his first 2 when he had no shot of winning.
Reply/Quote
Very very tough division with proven talent and
Proven coaching with the other 3 teams

The thing playing the North is that you have
To get a lead on the other North teams
As in a 2-TD lead.
Playing from behind is not what the Ravens
And Steelers are built to do on offense.

The Browns are the favorite as they should be
But is Cincy that far behind?
But it took a last second Mayfield pass to Peoples
Jones to beat the Bengals and the other matchup
Was decided by a TD.
And this was with a bad oline and rookie QB.

I see a 3-and 3 overall North record.
Pittsburgh is riding Bens dead arm.
The Ravens can be best if you can get a lead on them
And force Lamar to win with his arm
Cleveland is so balanced and their D is built
To rush the passer with 4.

If the Bengals can average 26 pts a game in this
Divison they can make noise
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:37 AM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: This is the first time in awhile I can honestly say we have a better roster then the Steelers. Ben is getting older, the OL is bad and the have cap issues. They are trending down.

And this is umpteenth time I can honestly say I'll believe it when I see it.

Games aren't played on paper.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:56 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: And this is umpteenth time I can honestly say I'll believe it when I see it.

Games aren't played on paper.

No they are not. Time will tell. But I like our chances this year.
Reply/Quote
No injuries, this team could play with anyone in our division. However, that's probably not going to happen. I do think we have enough depth to make games interesting.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:36 AM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: Lol!! In the Shula era we never signed FA’s and drafted horribly. MB has changed a bit in recent years. Especially spending money and investing in the team.

Look I’m not saying ZT is the answer but grading him on the roster he was dealt the first two years coupled with the injuries is crazy. I think the plan when he was hired was to redo the roster and rebuild. This year will be his first with a team capable of winning some games. For me his reign starts now. The last 2 years we were competing for the number 1 draft pick and turning over the roster. Now it’s time to compete.

Lol pretty sure the CBA requiring a 90% salary floor had more to do with increased "investment" than Mike Brown changing a bit in recent years.   
Reply/Quote
I think we sweep both Browns and Steelers to go 4-2...

The Browns don’t scare me, especially with the improved run defense. We nearly had them last year but the defense crumbled under pressure both times.

The Steelers are a wildcard, are we getting the 11-0 version or the lose to Finley version? Seems like they are on a downward spiral and hopefully Joe and company can kick them to the curb.

Ravens are a great team right now, but we did make Jackson look pretty bad in that first showing. Joe needs to learn from his mistakes in that first matchup and I think he does. With Marlon shadowing Chase, Boyd and Higgins should be the go to options that game.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:08 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Lol pretty sure the CBA requiring a 90% salary floor had more to do with increased "investment" than Mike Brown changing a bit in recent years.   

His motives aside we are bringing in FA’s now.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think we sweep both Browns and Steelers to go 4-2...

The Browns don’t scare me, especially with the improved run defense. We nearly had them last year but the defense crumbled under pressure both times.

The Steelers are a wildcard, are we getting the 11-0 version or the lose to Finley version? Seems like they are on a downward spiral and hopefully Joe and company can kick them to the curb.

Ravens are a great team right now, but we did make Jackson look pretty bad in that first showing. Joe needs to learn from his mistakes in that first matchup and I think he does. With Marlon shadowing Chase, Boyd and Higgins should be the go to options that game.

That first game they Blitzed the heck out of our rookie QB. A tough spot for a rookie especially considering personnel and the fact Joe B had no preseason to help prepare.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I expect the Browns to Brown and fall off a cliff.

Honest question, did you expect them to go 11-5 and win a road playoff game last year?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:41 AM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: But in my mind the grading starts this year not his first 2 when he had no shot of winning.

Why did he have no shot at winning in years 1 and 2?
Reply/Quote
The Browns really are built like the Titans.
They pound the ball on the ground, and drain the clock once they get a lead.
The Browns added a lot to their defense (which was ranked bottom half last year) in order to help keep that approach.

If the Bengals can get up 2+ TDs on them, it will force Mayfield to throw more, and I don't think he has the chops to do that well.

Ravens are similar to Browns, but they did add better and more pass catchers, and they have a better defense.

Steelers will have the best passing game of the three division rivals, and Najee Harris should be an improvement over Conner, but I still don't think they'll have a great running game. They also have a good defense.

I predict 3-3 with a win against each team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Honest question, did you expect them to go 11-5 and win a road playoff game last year?  

No, but I heard the talking heads on Sirius discussing them last year, and they were saying they had to get it done last year or their clock was running against them. I don't remember the specifics of why, but what they were saying made sense. The Browns have had tremendous rosters before and squandered them. History suggests they do it again.
Reply/Quote