Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How will we do in the North in 2021
(05-04-2021, 10:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While the Ravens did add some FA talent (Zeitler, Sammy Watkins) and had a nice draft (Bateman), they did lose both Ngakoue and Matt Judon.  While I would say they could have improved on offense, they definitely took a step back on defense.  

pittsburgh is in Piggy Cap Hell as they win enough that they can't draft a QB, and they still have to pay the pig, but they lost Vince Williams, Bud Dupree, and Mike Hilton (haha), just on the defensive side of the ball.  They also lost three starters on the offensive line...and drafted a RB in the first round.  

The Browns probably lost the least and gained the most in the draft.  I, for one, am very excited to have Ogenjobi here playing his more natural 3 technique.  The Browns asked him to play some NT when Billings opted out and he wasn't as effective in that role.  

And I will say the Bengals took massive steps forward (see my thread "Punching Bags and their Replacements").  There were some real turds flushed and replaced with significant upgrades.  

You may say they took a step back on defense but one thing i'll tell you about Baltimore's defense is it's coached by someone who demands excellence out of their coach.  Wink Martindale is a hell of a coach and will keep the Raven's defense in the Top 10 if not Top 5 of the NFL.  

Trust me, i think Martindale turns Oweh into a stud in his first season in the NFL that's how good of a coach he is.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This will be a common thread moving forward.  The roster is there.  Burrow will be 100% week 1.  Can the coaching staff become more balanced on offense and have a defense that can finish above mid-pack.  The talent, and perhaps more importantly, the depth of talent is there and we shouldn't have any position groups being historically bad even with a few injuries.

This is their last year to prove they can compete with a competitive roster.  

This has been this staff’s only season with a competitive roster. It still could use more depth. We were starting players off the street last season in some instances.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:17 AM)TJ528 Wrote: You may say they took a step back on defense but one thing i'll tell you about Baltimore's defense is it's coached by someone who demands excellence out of their coach.  Wink Martindale is a hell of a coach and will keep the Raven's defense in the Top 10 if not Top 5 of the NFL.  

Trust me, i think Martindale turns Oweh into a stud in his first season in the NFL that's how good of a coach he is.  

If Martindale replaces Judon's performance with Oweh, especially his rookie season, he will be a hell of a coach/talent evaluator.  It doesn't change the fact that they still lost a proven commodity and are replacing it with a draft pick.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 07:44 AM)Tony Wrote: The Browns are the team to beat. Not really worried about Pissburgh or The Ratbirds....

they never let their teams get so bad to be getting the top 10 pick. if we are lucky, we will go 3-3. 

Only the browns were our auto-win team, splits with the ravens, and loses to the squeelers during the Marvin era.

Zac's done worse with all 3. With only a memorable primetime win to the squeelers which still got them in the playoffs and scarce wins here and there.
Reply/Quote
I think the Steelers could bounce back this year. Their D was playing lights out until they got decimated by injuries. They added the legit RB1 in the draft, and have some new faces on their oline. Their WR group is really good. I think they could end up 2nd place, 3rd, or 4th in the division.

Browns will be good again, but their defense didn't impress me last year.

Baltimore is definitely the team to beat. They are tough on both sides and on special teams. They added to their roster too.

I do think we are a great sleeper team though. So much depends on Burrows health and the offensive line development. But we can possibly compete for 2nd/3rd in the division. So many unknowns, we could do better, could do worse.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:21 AM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: This has been this staff’s only season with a competitive roster. It still could use more depth. We were starting players off the street last season in some instances.

Yep, and how many years did Stephanski take to elevate the Browns?  If ZT and company throw up another clunker, I want them gone.  I don't see that happening, but that is where I stand.  This year, it is on the coaches.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If Martindale replaces Judon's performance with Oweh, especially his rookie season, he will be a hell of a coach/talent evaluator.  It doesn't change the fact that they still lost a proven commodity and are replacing it with a draft pick.  

Trust me when I say Martindale will be a head coach for someone in the NFL next year.  I think the division finishes Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati.  

It's definitely one of the hardest divisions in football but I just think Baltimore and Cleveland's rosters have way more talent than ours.  
Reply/Quote
I think 3-3 ends up the best scenario with the most likely to be 1-5 or 2-4.

We beat the Steelers once maybe, and then possibly steal one from the browns or Ravens.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:29 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Trust me when I say Martindale will be a head coach for someone in the NFL next year.  I think the division finishes Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati.  

It's definitely one of the hardest divisions in football but I just think Baltimore and Cleveland's rosters have way more talent than ours.  

I like our QB better, our WRs better, and our TE room better.  The Browns have the better offensive line and, not coincidentally, the better running attack.  I think it will all come down to how this defense comes together.  

We saw Vonn Bell start slow but come on strong, and there is much better depth across the defensive line and secondary.  If Burrow can put up 30 burgers, this team should win a lot of games.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:27 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I think the Steelers could bounce back this year. Their D was playing lights out until they got decimated by injuries. They added the legit RB1 in the draft, and have some new faces on their oline. Their WR group is really good. I think they could end up 2nd place, 3rd, or 4th in the division.

Browns will be good again, but their defense didn't impress me last year.

Baltimore is definitely the team to beat. They are tough on both sides and on special teams. They added to their roster too.

I do think we are a great sleeper team though. So much depends on Burrows health and the offensive line development. But we can possibly compete for 2nd/3rd in the division. So many unknowns, we could do better, could do worse.

See i think so much depends on Burrows health, the offensive line, and offensive defense this teams put on the field the past 2 seasons.  Can Lou actually be a defensive coordinator?  There's a lot of questions.  This Bengals team definitely has more questions than the Ravens, or Browns going into the 2021 season. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:35 AM)TJ528 Wrote: See i think so much depends on Burrows health, the offensive line, and offensive defense this teams put on the field the past 2 seasons.  Can Lou actually be a defensive coordinator?  There's a lot of questions.  This Bengals team definitely has more questions than the Ravens, or Browns going into the 2021 season. 

Definitely. They'll be fun to watch unless Burrow gets injured. That would be tough to see.

I think we'll see the defense improve this year. Their pass rush and dline should be much better. Their linebackers should be better just from development. Their secondary is a more veteran group this year.

There's definitely a lot of questions, which makes this team tough to predict. But we did fill a lot of holes on our roster the past 2 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I like our QB better, our WRs better, and our TE room better.  The Browns have the better offensive line and, not coincidentally, the better running attack.  I think it will all come down to how this defense comes together.  

We saw Vonn Bell start slow but come on strong, and there is much better depth across the defensive line and secondary.  If Burrow can put up 30 burgers, this team should win a lot of games.  

On offense I like our QB better and WR better.  Our TE's are competent but not great.  Our offensive line we'll see what happens but right now it's improved over last season.  Anything will be an improvement over last season.  

I agree with you on 30+ per game but I still think Lou's defensive is going to give up 24-27 a game so it'll be shoot out.  

Zac's actually shown me he can sometimes put an effective game plan together, Lou hasnt shown me shit yet.  So i have 0 faith in his ability to put together a defense even if he has the talent. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:39 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Definitely. They'll be fun to watch unless Burrow gets injured. That would be tough to see.

I think we'll see the defense improve this year. Their pass rush and dline should be much better. Their linebackers should be better just from development. Their secondary is a more veteran group this year.

There's definitely a lot of questions, which makes this team tough to predict. But we did fill a lot of holes on our roster the past 2 years.

When you invest $200M on one side of the football you better be improved if not then somethings wrong.  I was shocked to even see them draft for the defense when they invested that much money over the past 2 season on defense.  

I truly thought this draft would be 80% offense and I was wrong on that prediction. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:31 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I think 3-3 ends up the best scenario with the most likely to be 1-5 or 2-4.

We beat the Steelers once maybe, and then possibly steal one from the browns or Ravens.

We will get out coached in all games is my premonition. Expect losing by only a  score  or 10 pts in most divisional games we lose. Bad play calling and those poorly disciplined offensive/defensive linemen making that yellow flag play on 3rd and 1, giving a RIP blow to the game.

The talent in player personnel is there. Coaching/culture is in the gutter.  

Taylor is a nice guy, but nice guys finish last. I should know, I'm a nice guy too.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:42 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: We will get out coached in all games is my premonition. Expect losing by only a  score  or 10 pts in most divisional games we lose. Bad play calling and those poorly disciplined offensive/defensive linemen making that yellow flag play on 3rd and 1, giving a RIP blow to the game.

Taylor is a nice guy, but nice guys finish last. I should know, I'm a nice guy too.   Ninja

[Image: 062804joebtfsplk.jpg]

Quote:culture is in the gutter.  
I don't know how you can say that? The culture here is about as good as it's ever been. Bringing in guys that are Captains, guys that win Championships, quality veterans..... are you just making that up or what?
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: [Image: 062804joebtfsplk.jpg]

I don't know how you can say that? The culture here is about as good as it's ever been. Bringing in guys that are Captains, guys that win Championships, quality veterans..... are you just making that up or what?
Disgruntled vet letf, Aj getting VIP treatment, Ross kept around (instead of traded) while hard working players busting their butts to earn that buck, semi-injured bengal vet playing injured then released. The mounting losing record do not create a team culture at the slightest, switches to the me culture. I just worry about my stats and performance because the team is a losing team.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:55 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Disgruntled vet letf, Aj getting VIP treatment, Ross kept around (instead of traded) while hard working players busting their butts to earn that buck, semi-injured bengal vet playing injured then released. The mounting losing record do not create a team culture at the slightest, switches to the me culture. I just worry about my stats and performance because the team is a losing team.

Disgruntled vet did not want to play in this system so he just shut it down and took up space. Good riddance. AJ deserved a shot to prove he was healthy and could return. I wanted Ross gone long ago. You're right, players ARE busting their butts for this team, you didn't see anyone besides Dulap doggin it out there. There is a culture being built in the locker room of players demanding more from themselves and each other, starting with the QB  through the safeties on down. This is not your 1990's "show up just to get your check" Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Disgruntled vet did not want to play in this system so he just shut it down and took up space. Good riddance. AJ deserved a shot to prove he was healthy and could return. I wanted Ross gone long ago. You're right, players ARE busting their butts for this team, you didn't see anyone besides Dulap doggin it out there. There is a culture being built in the locker room of players demanding more from themselves and each other, starting with the QB  through the safeties on down. This is not your 1990's "show up just to get your check" Bengals. 

Sled, i agree with everything you said above with the exception of one thing,  Until this teams record improves it basically is the "show up just to get your check" Bengals.  6-25-1 in 2 seasons doesn't exactly say hey folks I'm a winner baby!...
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:42 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: We will get out coached in all games is my premonition. Expect losing by only a  score  or 10 pts in most divisional games we lose. Bad play calling and those poorly disciplined offensive/defensive linemen making that yellow flag play on 3rd and 1, giving a RIP blow to the game.

Out coached LMAO!! Paul Brown couldn’t have won with the 2 rosters ZT had to work with. Don’t forget year 1 at some point he was trying to lose to get the number 1 pick. This entire team has been turned over since ZT has been on the job. This is the first year he has had a roster that could compete. This team has been rebuilt. Anything over 500 will be gravey this year. Trying to grade this coaching staff on the first two years is insanity.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I expect the Browns to Brown and fall off a cliff.

The browns are stacked and had a great draft.

I wouldn't be surprised if they run away with the division this season.
Reply/Quote