Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How will we do in the North in 2021
(05-04-2021, 07:44 AM)Tony Wrote: The Browns are the team to beat. Not really worried about Pissburgh or The Ratbirds....

It's been multiple decades since this was last said.
Pretty crazy, right?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This will be the Ja'Marr Chase effect.  Last year, the steelers and Ratbirds were able to shut down Boyd and Higgins and the Bengals had no answer.  Sure, the line will be improved and Mixon should have a much better outing this year in those games, but I think it will come down to how Burrow is able to attack them with 3 top-flight options.  I sincerely doubt they have the depth and talent to shut down all three.  If they focus on shutting down Chase, the others will eat well.

Even splitting with the steelers and Ravens will go a long way toward boosting this team's belief in themselves.  Those losses to Baltimore last year were embarrassing.  

I will predict an even 3-3, splitting with all three opponents.  If they are able to go 3-1 against the AFC West, that would put them at 6-4 with the remaining games being against the 49ers, Jags, Jets, Vikings, Bears, Lions, and Packers. Go 4-3 in those games and you have a 10-7 record and might be able to sneak in to the playoffs.  

It absolutely starts in the AFC North, though, and they have to find a way to at least split.  
my thought is if we are 10-7 that will be a good year and means we are turning the corner.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:24 AM)Takedown Wrote: Ravens seem to have our number. That's 2 losses. I see us splitting. 3-3. Steelers sweep and split with brown stains
Dude come on, lol how long now have we all been like "The Steelers roster is getting old.  Fat Ben can't even run anymore" and yet Ben goes the Pro Bowl the next year and then we get swept by the Steelers.  
I HATE them as much as I hate TTUN, well maybe not that much, but can't stand the Steelers, but they have a winning model.  It's a winning organization and as soon as you step into it you expect to win.  I truly think that's what helps that team.  Plus i really cant stand Tomlin but I think he's twice the coach the Bengals have leading the helm.   
I think split with Steelers, swept by the Ravens, and in 2 very close games swept by the Browns.  
One more draft and 1 more off season and I can see a 3-3 or 4-2 record in the North.  Right now I still think we're missing some pieces. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:59 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: That gets said every year and every year they prove that it's just hearsay.

This is the first time in awhile I can honestly say we have a better roster then the Steelers. Ben is getting older, the OL is bad and the have cap issues. They are trending down.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:35 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Dude come on, lol how long now have we all been like "The Steelers roster is getting old.  Fat Ben can't even run anymore" and yet Ben goes the Pro Bowl the next year and then we get swept by the Steelers.  
I HATE them as much as I hate TTUN, well maybe not that much, but can't stand the Steelers, but they have a winning model.  It's a winning organization and as soon as you step into it you expect to win.  I truly think that's what helps that team.  Plus i really cant stand Tomlin but I think he's twice the coach the Bengals have leading the helm.   
I think split with Steelers, swept by the Ravens, and in 2 very close games swept by the Browns.  
One more draft and 1 more off season and I can see a 3-3 or 4-2 record in the North.  Right now I still think we're missing some pieces. 

Pretty sure Finley sh*t on that "winning model" last season. I'm not too concerned with Burrow at the helm. Pro Bowl doesn't mean anything c'mon lol. I didn't see Bates in the Pro Bowl.

We could easily go 1-5 or 3-3 in the division. Have some hope.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:39 AM)Takedown Wrote: Pretty sure Finley sh*t on that "winning model" last season. I'm not too concerned with Burrow at the helm. Pro Bowl does't mean anything c'mon lol. I didn't see Bates in the Pro Bowl.

We could easily go 1-5 or 3-3 in the division. Have some hope.

Dude I have hope we can go 3-3 or 4-2 this season and I'd LOVE it if we do because i'd have something to cheer for after Thanksgiving.  Usually by then the last 5 seasons, the Bengals season's pretty much done and any hope for the playoffs is over lol 

I will be the first one here to eat crow and apologize for any negativity if this team goes 11-6 this year, however, the realistic side of me says it's closer to a 6-11 or 8-9 type of team.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You should definitely be worried about Baltimore. We got absolutely destroyed by them both times we played them, including Burrow’s worst game as a pro, and then getting the ball ran down our throats to the tune of 400+ yards...

This is Baltimore’s division until we see otherwise. Cleveland is easily the second best team, and then us and Pittsburgh will battle it out for the basement (I do think we might actually be better than them). If we can split with each team I’ll be happy.

It is all about matchups and, thus far, Baltimore has been the worst matchup for the Bengals.  Their rushing attack, as you mention, was overpowering against this defense.  You have to tip your hat to them, though, as they knew where the Bengal's defense was weak and exploited it.  I am hoping the massive upgrades in the middle of the defense (Ogunjobi, Reader, Shelvin) goes a long way to helping shore up that area.  

As far as scoring points against them, it will come down to better protection and if Chase can really help open up the offense.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I expect the Browns to Brown and fall off a cliff.

What would make you think this? The Browns only improved their roster,  they have a good, young head coach, and Mayfield took a huge step forward last year. 
Reply/Quote
I would be ecstatic to go 3-3 in the division. If we do then we'll probably have a winning record.... for the first time in a while. I have little faith in our coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:42 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Dude I have hope we can go 3-3 or 4-2 this season and I'd LOVE it if we do because i'd have something to cheer for after Thanksgiving.  Usually by then the last 5 seasons, the Bengals season's pretty much done and any hope for the playoffs is over lol 

I will be the first one here to eat crow and apologize for any negativity if this team goes 11-6 this year, however, the realistic side of me says it's closer to a 6-11 or 8-9 type of team.  

The problem with the Bengals right now is coaching. My hope falls on 3rd year being the charm for Taylor and co. It has to get better or they're gone. We have a good roster. Not the best, but its good.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:46 AM)Takedown Wrote: The problem with the Bengals right now is coaching. My hope falls on 3rd year being the charm for Taylor and co. It has to get better or they're gone. We have a good roster. Not the best, but its good.

If you read what I posted above I actually made mention to that. I said that I do think the Bengals roster is better than the Steelers.  However, as much as i despise Tomlin, he's twice the coach Zac is.   

I truly believe if this team isn't 11-6 he should be shown the door.  NFL stands for Not For Long and it's meant for both coaches and players. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:15 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: We will be fortunate to get it to 3-3. This is one of if not the toughest division in the NFL.

I would say we are the 3rd toughest division in the NFL. The NFC West is insane, it arguably has 3 super bowl contenders. The NFC East I think is better than us too, Bellicheck is all in, the Bills would be good again, the dolphins will be a playoff team, and the Jets should improve.

I think we go 3-3 maybe 4-2. I think the Browns struggle a bit early, the Ravens will fall off late season as they display their limited passing game on film, and the Steelers start with a .750 record and collapse at the end of the season due to injuries, Big Ben, and a poor oline. 
Reply/Quote
I didn't research the numbers but I'm assuming the track record for coaches entering their 3rd season with a sub-.200 winning percentage and who have been outscored by their division opponents 355 to 202, isn't a good one.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:46 AM)Takedown Wrote: The problem with the Bengals right now is coaching. My hope falls on 3rd year being the charm for Taylor and co. It has to get better or they're gone. We have a good roster. Not the best, but its good.

Coaching plays a part no doubt but having the talent is a huge piece of the puzzle.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: 1-5 The other teams didnt take a step back

While the Ravens did add some FA talent (Zeitler, Sammy Watkins) and had a nice draft (Bateman), they did lose both Ngakoue and Matt Judon.  While I would say they could have improved on offense, they definitely took a step back on defense.  

pittsburgh is in Piggy Cap Hell as they win enough that they can't draft a QB, and they still have to pay the pig, but they lost Vince Williams, Bud Dupree, and Mike Hilton (haha), just on the defensive side of the ball.  They also lost three starters on the offensive line...and drafted a RB in the first round.  

The Browns probably lost the least and gained the most in the draft.  I, for one, am very excited to have Ogenjobi here playing his more natural 3 technique.  The Browns asked him to play some NT when Billings opted out and he wasn't as effective in that role.  

And I will say the Bengals took massive steps forward (see my thread "Punching Bags and their Replacements").  There were some real turds flushed and replaced with significant upgrades.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:00 AM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: I didn't research the numbers but I'm assuming the track record for coaches entering their 3rd season with a sub-.200 winning percentage and who have been outscored by their division opponents 355 to 202, isn't a good one.

A lot of folks won't get your name, but I think it is hilarious.  Maybe create an alter-ego as well called "Frerrotte's Head Butt".  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:51 AM)northernbengal Wrote: I would say we are the 3rd toughest division in the NFL. The NFC West is insane, it arguably has 3 super bowl contenders. The NFC East I think is better than us too, Bellicheck is all in, the Bills would be good again, the dolphins will be a playoff team, and the Jets should improve.

I think we go 3-3 maybe 4-2. I think the Browns struggle a bit early, the Ravens will fall off late season as they display their limited passing game on film, and the Steelers start with a .750 record and collapse at the end of the season due to injuries, Big Ben, and a poor oline. 

What???

Please tell me you meant the AFC East, and I disagree.  The Jets still suck and Miami has Tua (complete mystery that his team saw not be as effective as Fitzmagic).

The Pats will be competitive, and the Bills are still very rich in talent and have the rookie deal still in place for their QB, but the AFC North has four playoff caliber teams.  Yes, I am including the Bengals in that and folks will say that is a stretch, but I have faith.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:45 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I would be ecstatic to go 3-3 in the division. If we do then we'll probably have a winning record.... for the first time in a while. I have little faith in our coaching staff.

This will be a common thread moving forward.  The roster is there.  Burrow will be 100% week 1.  Can the coaching staff become more balanced on offense and have a defense that can finish above mid-pack.  The talent, and perhaps more importantly, the depth of talent is there and we shouldn't have any position groups being historically bad even with a few injuries.

This is their last year to prove they can compete with a competitive roster.  
Reply/Quote
If we can go 3-3 I would be happy. I think Baltimore will be the toughest. We haven’t even come close to beating them since Lamar Jackson took over. We’ve beaten Baker and had close games consistently with him, and beat Pitt (who I think is trending the wrong way) with our third string QB. 3-3 against what I think is the toughest division in football, would mean we did decent.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:32 AM)Waite Hoyt Wrote: my thought is if we are 10-7 that will be a good year and means we are turning the corner.

I just would love to see them sneak in to the playoffs.  A young team with Joe Burrow at the helm in the biggest games would be really damn fun to watch.  
Reply/Quote