Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hubbard reminds me of JJ Watt
(10-10-2018, 12:21 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Hubbard reminds you of JJ What the F@%# ?

Hubbard looks like a great pick by Bengals but much like the fact it is too early to say Watt is greatest of all time.

It is also too early to say Hubbard will become JJ Watt.

Certainly glad he is a Bengal though.

Me 2 X 1,000

What Hubbard may or may not become is really hard to say at this point. Who knows ? 8 years from now we may be saying so and so is the next Hubbard.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 04:19 PM)Trademark Wrote: Seriously this kid is coming along nicely. He’s very powerful and quick. Can’t bek he dropped as low as he did

And they are both white. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 04:41 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He does remind me more of JJ Watt than he does of JJ from Good Times!

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
If you all want a good comparison for Hubbard, you don't have to look outside the roster. His strengths and ability are very similar to Michael Johnson
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 10:56 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: The comparison might of been closer to that of TJ watt

Even that's a laughable comparison right now, IMO.

(10-09-2018, 05:28 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: JJ has 2 seasons of 20 sacks. Name the other players with that have two seasons with 20 sacks.

Reggie White had seasons of 21.0 and 18.0 sacks.
Michael Strahan had seasons of 22.5 and 18.5 sacks (and nobody has ever said he was anything close to GOAT defender)

Sure, it's not 20, but are you going to nitpick about 2 sacks? Either way, 2 seasons don't define the greatness of one's career. 

I'd put the following defenders over JJ Watt:

1. Reggie White
2. L.T.
3. Deion Sanders
4. Ronnie Lott
5. Derrick Thomas
6. Ray Lewis
7. Ed Reed

Heck, I might even put some guys like Strahan above him. How about Rod Woodson, Mean Joe Greene, Deacon Jones and Dick Butkus? JJ Watt has 2 major check marks against him...one is that he racks up a lot of sacks in a weak AFC south. The other is that he can't stay healthy. Until he does it for a long time, and actually wins something meaningful, you're outright disrespecting some legends by putting him above them already. 

JJ Watt is currently 117.0 sacks behind Reggie White, and Watt is 29 years old. To put that in perspective, Geno Atkins has 67.0 carer sacks. You can also double Geno's career sack total, and that's the gap between Reggie and Watt.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 09:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ofc it’s impressive, it’s just not as impressive as LT’s list:

2× Super Bowl champion (XXI, XXV)
10× Pro Bowl (1981–1990)
8× First-team All-Pro (1981–1986, 1988, 1989)
2× Second-team All-Pro (1987, 1990)
NFL Most Valuable Player (1986)
Bert Bell Award (1986)
3× NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1981, 1982, 1986)
NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year (1981)
NFL sacks leader (1986)

Let’s wait and see what Watt does the rest of career before anointing him the GOAT...

Agreed....and you guys are missing one in your comparison....the guy that invented the term sack:  one Deacon Jones.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Sam Hubbard reminds me of Sam Hubbard
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 01:01 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Even that's a laughable comparison right now, IMO.

Michael Strahan had seasons of 22.5 and 18.5 sacks (and nobody has ever said he was anything close to GOAT defender)

Sure, it's not 20, but are you going to nitpick about 2 sacks? Either way, 2 seasons don't define the greatness of one's career. 

1. Reggie White
2. L.T.
3. Deion Sanders
4. Ronnie Lott
5. Derrick Thomas
6. Ray Lewis
7. Ed Reed

Heck, I might even put some guys like Strahan above him. How about Rod Woodson, Mean Joe Greene, Deacon Jones and Dick Butkus? JJ Watt has 2 major check marks against him...one is that he racks up a lot of sacks in a weak AFC south. The other is that he can't stay healthy. Until he does it for a long time, and actually wins something meaningful, you're outright disrespecting some [b]legends by putting him above them already. [/b]

JJ Watt is currently 117.0 sacks behind Reggie White, and Watt is 29 years old. To put that in perspective, Geno Atkins has 67.0 carer sacks. You can also double Geno's career sack total, and that's the gap between Reggie and Watt.

Yep, with his injury history lately already playing in his 8th season it wouldn't be to surprising if he's fairly close to the end of it all. He needs 3 or 4 more seasons playing at the top before G.O.A.T. consideration.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 01:01 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Even that's a laughable comparison right now, IMO.

1. Reggie White
2. L.T.
3. Deion Sanders
4. Ronnie Lott
5. Derrick Thomas
6. Ray Lewis
7. Ed Reed

Heck, I might even put some guys like Strahan above him. How about Rod Woodson, Mean Joe Greene, Deacon Jones and Dick Butkus? JJ Watt has 2 major check marks against him...one is that he racks up a lot of sacks in a weak AFC south. The other is that he can't stay healthy. Until he does it for a long time, and actually wins something meaningful, you're outright disrespecting some legends by putting him above them already. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 01:01 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: JJ Watt is currently 117.0 sacks behind Reggie White, and Watt is 29 years old. To put that in perspective, Geno Atkins has 67.0 carer sacks. You can also double Geno's career sack total, and that's the gap between Reggie and Watt.

White had 95 sacks at age 29.  Watt has 82 and with 11 games left could almost match him at the same age.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 04:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: White had 95 sacks at age 29.  Watt has 82 and with 11 games left could almost match him at the same age.

Interesting. How many games had White missed by age 29? Watt's health my be the one thing that gets in his way, I don't think he will make it as far as some of these HoF guys that have been mentioned.

I've been surprised he came back this year as strong as he has.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 04:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: White had 95 sacks at age 29.  Watt has 82 and with 11 games left could almost match him at the same age.

I used age to show that Watt (with his injuries) doesn't have much time left.

The way that you just used age is very misleading though. Reggie was 24 in his rookie year while Watt was 22.

Watt is in his 8th season. After 8 seasons, Reggie White had 124.0 sacks. We'll see if Watt can catch that number this year. He's only 42 sacks away. Mellow

Nevermind that the league passed way less back then, and Reggie has a ring.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 05:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Interesting. How many games had White missed by age 29? Watt's health my be the one thing that gets in his way, I don't think he will make it as far as some of these HoF guys that have been mentioned.

I've been surprised he came back this year as strong as he has.

Reggie missed 7 games in his first 8 seasons, with 124.0 sacks in 121 games.
Watt has missed 24 games in his 8 seasons, with 82.0 sacks in 93 games.

Reggie was not only healthier, he posted more sacks per game in an era with less passing. 
Reply/Quote
Wait..is Sam an uncle yet? Need to check how many siblings of child bearing abilities he has.. Having Uncle Sam playing can't hurt.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Patriots coach Bill Belichick was the Giants’ linebackers coach and defensive coordinator for the first 10 years of Lawrence Taylor’s Hall of Fame career, and Belichick will always say there’s never been a linebacker like Taylor.

That includes Bears linebacker Khalil Mack, whom Belichick was asked about today as the Patriots prepare to face Chicago on Sunday. When Belichick was asked today about Taylor and the great pass rushers he’s seen, and whether Mack compares, Belichick answered that there’s no comparison between Taylor and anyone else.

“Wait a minute, we’re talking about Lawrence Taylor now. I’m not putting anybody in Lawrence Taylor’s class. Put everybody below that. I have a lot of respect for a lot of good players, but we’re talking about Lawrence Taylor,” Belichick said.

There may never be another player who’s in the class of Lawrence Taylor. In Belichick’s mind, refusing to compare Mack to Taylor isn’t knocking Mack. It’s simply stating that Taylor set a standard that no one has equaled.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2018, 03:03 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Reggie posted more sacks per game in an era with less passing. 

Fewer passes but a lot more sacks.

The passing game was completely different when Reggie came into the league.  Most throws were down the field so QBs sat in the pocket longer and were sacked more often.  In Reggie's 1985 rookie season the average sacks per team was 46.6.  In Watt's rookie season (2011) it was only 37.1.

The Chicago Bears famous "46 defense" from 1985 would not work in todays NFL.  It would get picked to pieces with short passes.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2018, 03:03 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Reggie missed 7 games in his first 8 seasons, with 124.0 sacks in 121 games.
Watt has missed 24 games in his 8 seasons, with 82.0 sacks in 93 games.

Watt played in every game in 5 of his first seven years.

White played in every game in 5 of his first seven years
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 05:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Fewer passes but a lot more sacks.

The passing game was completely different when Reggie came into the league.  Most throws were down the field so QBs sat in the pocket longer and were sacked more often.  In Reggie's 1985 rookie season the average sacks per team was 46.6.  In Watt's rookie season (2011) it was only 37.1.

The Chicago Bears famous "45 defense" from 1985 would not work in todays NFL.  It would get picked to pieces with short passes.

Hilarious   You mean "46 Defense"?
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 07:09 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: Hilarious   You mean "46 Defense"?

Yes.  Plank was number 46 instead of 45.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2018, 02:55 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I used age to show that Watt (with his injuries) doesn't have much time left.

The way that you just used age is very misleading though. Reggie was 24 in his rookie year while Watt was 22.

Watt is in his 8th season. After 8 seasons, Reggie White had 124.0 sacks. We'll see if Watt can catch that number this year. He's only 42 sacks away. Mellow

Nevermind that the league passed way less back then, and Reggie has a ring.

Exactly,

White and Taylor are two of the best defensive players to ever play the game - period ! Top drawer of the top drawer. To argue against that is just arguing to argue. 

Watt is an excellent player who may well end up there with a little luck and some really good health to end his career. But he's not on the same page with those two yet.
Reply/Quote