Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huber vs Chrisman-Huber won
(08-25-2022, 05:02 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you guys say this crap like it's super easy to do lol

No I don't mean it is easy to do at all. Huber has always been a great Coffin Corner Punter.

But if Chrisman cannot pin Offenses deep I guess we should just keep Huber and risk losing Chrisman?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 02:36 PM)pally Wrote: The battle is still neck and neck.  Apparently, Drue kicks it further but Kevin kicks with better direction and finesse.  Both have been equally solid in holding during pre-season.  Darrin Simmons believes that line and direction is a developable skill.

Do you go with the old familiar hand knowing he's going to shank some and won't get you as far downtown?  Or choose your newbie who can be counted on when you have the field to kick through but might be a wildcard in keeping it out of the endzone or away from a dangerous returner.

My opinion, if the team is past the midfield paint then McPherson is going to be out there most of the time not the punter.  Kevin has been solid for many years, but this team would benefit more by the stronger leg.

I look at it a bit different,  a punter that has better direction and hang time will pin teams back which then leads to short field when u force them to punt hence puts McPherson just in range or already.. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm pulling for Chrisman simply because I don't want the Rattlers to lose the games played record to a punter
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm on the fence. Lets see what happens next game ?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 03:14 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was watching the BLEAV bengals podcast with Solomon Wilcotts and Pacman Jones and Jones was not a huge fan of Crisman's punting in that Giants game. He said they didn't have nearly enough hang time and he didn't force a single fair catch. He said a punter making the tackle isn't a good thing haha.

I think Pacman knows the punting game, so I kind of hope we stick with Huber. It sounds like Chrisman hits line drives that could result in big returns because the coverage unit isn't given enough time to get to the return man.

Is anyone fair catching in preseason games? Honest question. I just assume most of the guys returning right now are trying to win an NFL roster spot, and you don't get a roster spot by just fair catching, you need to put returns on tape.

Don't think Pacman has ever fair caught a punt in his life. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 07:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Is anyone fair catching in preseason games? Honest question. I just assume most of the guys returning right now are trying to win an NFL roster spot, and you don't get a roster spot by just fair catching, you need to put returns on tape.

Don't think Pacman has ever fair caught a punt in his life. Lol

Great question and point.
Reply/Quote
Lean toward Chrisman at this point. Toward the tail end of last season it looked like Huber was running out of gas at times. This specific team needs a punter who can boom it to flip field position. Pinning the other team in the potential safety zone is nice and all, but secondary to flipping the field imo. Chrisman has a long career ahead of him and should get better at the directional/coffin nail stuff.
Reply/Quote
I think whomever earns the job deserves it. The special teams coach should have a fair evaluation. If it is a toss up, flip a coin. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 03:19 PM)treee Wrote: The more progress your offense makes down the field, the less important power becomes and the more important control becomes. So from that angle Huber might still be a better choice due to us having a stacked offense.

I expect lots of wins or losses with be less than three points separating the teams. Punting can be critical to who wins. Simmons is saying Chrisman has the leg but not the accuracy but that’s coaching and practice.
“I think it's a developable skill. Over time that can be developed."

Sounds to me Chrisman has the edge.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 05:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No I don't mean it is easy to do at all. Huber has always been a great Coffin Corner Punter.

But if Chrisman cannot pin Offenses deep I guess we should just keep Huber and risk losing Chrisman?

Yeah, more of a risk losing Chrisman than Huber, I would think, given that Huber may just retire if he is not the kicker. (Although, given the serious accusation against Ariaiza, the Bills could be looking for a kicker. The 17-year-old woman he's accused of gang-raping apparently reported to the police the next day and in a call recorded by the police made some admissions. If not charged, he may still be suspended. Hate to see Huber or Chrisman on the Bills.)
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 05:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No I don't mean it is easy to do at all. Huber has always been a great Coffin Corner Punter.

Chrisman can do it, if I remember correctly that was a strong suit of his at OSU. It takes practice and according to Simmons, who knows more about kicking than someone on this board, Chrisman should be able start dropping them inside the 10!
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 10:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: Yeah, more of a risk losing Chrisman than Huber, I would think, given that Huber may just retire if he is not the kicker. (Although, given the serious accusation against Ariaiza, the Bills could be looking for a kicker. The 17-year-old woman he's accused of gang-raping apparently reported to the police the next day and in a call recorded by the police made some admissions. If not charged, he may still be suspended. Hate to see Huber or Chrisman on the Bills.)

Man, would not want to see either on the Bills, we got some good Punters here. If they get Huber I hope he falls off sad to say.

That is some eyebrow raising stuff with Araiza...

(08-25-2022, 10:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Chrisman can do it, if I remember correctly that was a strong suit of his at OSU. It takes practice and according to Simmons, who knows more about kicking than someone on this board, Chrisman should be able start dropping them inside the 10!

Cool, Simmons knows his stuff. Best ST's coach in the NFL IMO. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I trust Simmons to make the right decision. I know he loves Huber, but even he recognized that Huber struggled at the end of the year. He can also tell us if Chrisman is worth developing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Huber stayed long enough to get the record and then retires making way for Chrisman.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Huber started okay last year but fell off noticeably toward the end and into the playoffs. I feel like we’ve kept the young kid around the past couple years for a reason, and I feel like the future is now for him. Simmons can work with him on being more precise, I’m sure.

He and Handlebars Harris are getting up there in years now, its kinda nice having their possible heir apparents already practicing with the team. I haven’t paid attention, how’s the kid LS holding up?
Reply/Quote
Does going with Chrisman over Huber save $ that can be used to strengthen another position?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 05:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: All of these are what I was thinking but then I thought, "if we're close enough for Huber to pin them inside the 10 with directional kicks, wouldn't we be close enough for McPherson to kick a field goal?" 

If he's hitting from 65, that means getting to the 48, and Huber only averages 46 per punt. It almost might be worth it to try to improve Chrisman's accuracy so that, in the rare instance that we don't get too far downfield, Chrisman can pin them deep.

your not gonna ask your kicker to try 60+ yarders very often i dont think  unless is a do or die moment  as a miss gives excellent field position
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 07:26 AM)The 160lb Fullback Wrote: Does going with Chrisman over Huber save $ that can be used to strengthen another position?

No. Kevin Huber probably has one of the lowest salaries on the team. I think he's only making 1.6mil this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 02:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Id Roll With Huber with Chrisman on Stand by.

Same.  I don't think anyone would pull him from PS.  Kevin has been a staple.  I like the idea of the stronger leg, but when you consider the added speed in coverage teams there should be few returnable kicks if Kevin hits them with hang time and accuracy.  
Reply/Quote
Well Huber has this last game to show his value, interesting that small sample but Huber is at 47.7 for his three kicks, Chrisman is at 47.4 but Huber has a lower net but Huber has 3 kicks to 5 for Chrisman, I am impressed with Huber at 47.7, if he has 3/4 kicks this weekend and keeps that average or goes up find it hard to let him go with the experience factor and so steady at holding
Reply/Quote
Cut them both. We won't need a stinking punter.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote