Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue Jackson 4th Best OC in NFL
(06-24-2015, 07:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: Not sold on the praise just yet. We'll see for sure after this year. As for last year, you can't credit him for developing Dalton any. Certainly wasn't better than Gruden. Who I had a hand in prematurely celebrating his departure. Until he can have our offense blowing teams out like it did in 13, I remain skeptical. This is a big year for the offense. I think they'll produce. They are going to have to let Dalton throw. A dominant run game is fine, but we have too many receiving options. Look at the first quarter of the season last season. Dalton came out throwing. To the point I was wondering if I was watching Gruden.

We're going to have to find a way to run the ball and dominate teams on the ground. And we will. We could have last season while throwing the ball around if we would have started Hill (but there's truth to him taking himself off the field some early, so he may not have been ready, remember the last preseason game against the Colts they seemed to run him to the ground for no apparent reason).

Hue's got to find a way to get the passing game relevant again, this year is big for Dalton too so they might as well take the handcuffs off of him.

I think this one sums it up best.  I love Hue's toughness and mentality.  He has been very successful in every job he has had to the point where he sometimes took very limited talent and made it pretty damn good.  However, it dawned on me that maybe he was just better at eliminating the mistakes on those poor offenses and his offense isn't as threatening as I thought.

I couldn't wait for last season and then I came away, like many others here, very disappointed.  A part of me understood the loss of his weapons on offense, and I look forward to this year with optimism, but then the skeptic in me looks at their performance last year and thinks: "You can't be better by being more conservative".  The common thread in the clunker games (Cleveland and Indy 1.0) was that they did not spread the field or have much of a downfield threat.  I remember hearing Hue say once before that opposing teams are going to have to defend every inch of the field (not a direct quote, but something to that effect).  I loved how they chipped away at Baltimore in week 1 and made their big guys chase laterally which was clearly not their strength.  It did struggle in the red zone, where the field became shorter, but I felt I understood what he was doing.  Also, with Hue, I always felt that they would design a game plan for the team they were facing.  It wasn't the same ol' "this is what we do", rather they would attack a team's specific weakness. 

I guess that in all I feel pretty optimistic based on the history that shows that when Hue has a good TE that is a receiving threat, and a vertical threat to stretch the field, his offenses have been pretty solid.  With the return of Eifert and MLJ, the arrival of Kroft/Uzomah/Alford, the emergence of Hill, the potential of Burkhead, and (to me almost the most important facet) the depth of talent on the offensive line, I think Hue will have one of the best offenses in team history. 

Although I don't like opening up on the road (and even less on the West Coast), I am very excited to see what he has in store for his old team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2015, 02:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What Hill's comments boiled down to, was that he felt his team was better and he was embarrassed to lose to an inferior team. To me, that's backing your mates. I've seen guys like Terrell Suggs take shots at other teams. Has his coach lashed out at him for it? Even if Hill could've worded it better, I appreciate where his heart was at.

Hue's public comments towards Hill were over the top. Here's a quote after the Bucs game:

He threw jabs at Hill like this all season long. You probably don't remember me making a stink about Andre Smith comments because Andre had those issues in 2009-10. I wasn't on the boards back then.

The Hue comment was made tongue in cheek, but I'd imagine public jabs don't go over well with players. It doesn't seem professional to me and I rarely hear about coaches publicly ripping their players. Do you think that's a common and acceptable practice?

I personally disagree with it and as a youth coach in a number of sports spanning several decades, I would never do it myself.  However, if you remember the time Mike Singleterry publicly sounded off on his TE in SF, that same player later credited him with helping him mature and become the player he has become.  Although, Singleterry was fired....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I feel that Hue should be able to give Andy a really good playbook and gameplan on a weekly base for a few reasons.

We have one of the best backfields in the league with just Benard and Hill, Rex is pretty solid too.

Eifert being healthy and the new Rutgers boy should give us more options coming from the TE position.

We will have M. Jones back at WR to have atleast 1-2 really good games where other teams have weak corners.

This year will be tough potentially regarding schedule, but even if the games are close, I think this team has the tools to make sure we control the ball and tempo.

Just need to make sure Andy and the coaches manage the time and tempo which has been one of the ongoing stories of Marv's career as well as Andy.

As for the 4th rank, a lot of it could have been out of respect of having to do things completely different after so many receiving injuries and letting Hill thrive as a rookie instead of just flat out going to Bernard once he came back from injury.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2015, 10:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I personally disagree with it and as a youth coach in a number of sports spanning several decades, I would never do it myself.  However, if you remember the time Mike Singleterry publicly sounded off on his TE in SF, that same player later credited him with helping him mature and become the player he has become.  Although, Singleterry was fired....

That's what it takes sometimes.

Players are so coddled now. You can't say bad things and hurt their fragile egos. Sometimes, they need knocked down a peg.
Maybe Hill was running his mouth at practice to guys he shouldn't. Maybe he wasn't taking certain things the RB coach said to heart. 
Maybe he needed a swift kick in the ass to get his shit together. 

How do you get the attention of this millennial generation? public embarrassment. They don't respond to other things. Social media. 
Reply/Quote
Cool to have Hue that highly ranked, but honestly don't think he deserves that. At least not yet. Really looking forward to seeing what he does this year with our talent (fingers crossed we can stay healthy).

I'm always split between blaming Dalton or the coaches (Hue/Marvin specifically). Perhaps I shouldn't blame Hue when Andy is his QB.
[Image: WiscoFan.png]
Reply/Quote