Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue Jackson fed up with Bungles image.....
(06-17-2015, 09:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13102615/cincinnati-bengals-look-shed-queen-city-bungles-label-tired

Good.....now do something about it!

Glad to see him putting himself out there.  I think with a full complement this year, we get to see what Hue is capable of.  I really, really like Hue.  I think he has the attitude that was missing from the offense for some time. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 10:49 PM)GodFather Wrote: on a scale of 0-100 from that article? A big fat zero.

Hue was going on and on last year about how tough he was going to make the offense and it would be an offense we haven't seen. The only thing I saw last year was a shittier offense who had a hell of a time getting a touchdown when it was in the red zone. After being one of the best teams with Jay in the red zone we took a major step back.

So Hue, zip it and win it.

I agree talk it cheap, but he did get 10 wins (really should have been 11 if not for a missed chip shot), but statistically the offense did stumble.  I think he had a lot pinned on Eifert.  He had a great TE in almost every offense he ran with success (Atlanta, Oakland) and I think the loss of Eifert, Smith, MLJ, and AJ for some periods hurt badly.  Not an excuse, but I will give him this year to prove what I already believed which is that Hue has the swagger and mentality that is needed for an NFL offense and I can't wait to see what he does this year. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 03:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree talk it cheap, but he did get 10 wins (really should have been 11 if not for a missed chip shot), but statistically the offense did stumble.  I think he had a lot pinned on Eifert.  He had a great TE in almost every offense he ran with success (Atlanta, Oakland) and I think the loss of Eifert, Smith, MLJ, and AJ for some periods hurt badly.  Not an excuse, but I will give him this year to prove what I already believed which is that Hue has the swagger and mentality that is needed for an NFL offense and I can't wait to see what he does this year. 

I'm here as well.....that offense looked good when he had a full complement of weapons to start the season.  I think another thing people don't consider, and this is speculation on my part, is that they may have been trying a little ball control and got kinda vanilla.  Why?  Well, the defense took a nose dive, and your weapons in the passing game were greatly diminished......interesting theory, I think.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:20 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Absolutely, which is exactly what I knew you were saying.

Being "successful" is relative, and a lot of people think 4 playoff appearances is great success while fans of other teams may not agree.

Some people like to pull the strawman of "you're saying we're happy losing in the playoffs!!!" when we aren't saying that. We're saying that people define success differently and are overly excited to just make the playoffs, we aren't saying that you're happy with the losses though. You'd think someone that (supposedly) made it through law school could figure the difference out. Oh well.

Good post.

Many people in order to reinforce their position or quell another opinion, will use the 4 playoff appearances to support their argument and/or deflect criticism.  While yes, being a winning team/playoff team is a better than being a losing team, being unable, or perhaps unwilling, to make changes (for better or worse) in order to achieve the only goal, the Super Bowl, will make your fans question you every time.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 11:41 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: All I see are a lot of positives, and the ONLY way I don't see us winning a playoff game is if we have a ton of injuries like last year.

I'm predicting it now...the Arizona Cardinals vs. the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2015 Super Bowl dubbed the "We shoulda won it all last year, but injuries happened" Bowl!
Reply/Quote
I would like to jump and down and say I feel super pumped about this, but we always get these hype articles. At this point, I'll wait for Hue to actually show us that this team is ready to go out on the field with a hammer. I was stoked when Hue took over as OC, but his playcalling was bi-polar last year. I mean, look at the stinkers we laid last year. Both Colts games and the TNF Browns game. Yeah he'd admit that he messed up in the games, but why didn't Hue call for adjustments?

I'll just wait and see what this team actually does.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 10:49 PM)GodFather Wrote: on a scale of 0-100 from that article? A big fat zero.

Hue was going on and on last year about how tough he was going to make the offense and it would be an offense we haven't seen. The only thing I saw last year was a shittier offense who had a hell of a time getting a touchdown when it was in the red zone. After being one of the best teams with Jay in the red zone we took a major step back.

So Hue, zip it and win it.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVxXvfp-CODQcGL1XLU7o...VcIfCQZFNc]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have seen fans of the Steelers, Packers, Patriots, and all other great teams celebrate making the playoffs.

Only a few Bengal fans seem to think that making the playoffs is meaningless.

Fred why do you call the Steelers, Packers, and Patriots teams great ?

See what I'm getting at here ??? The spin you try and put on it is - if you're not ecstatic that we've made the playoff 4 years in a row then you're a hater. It's the typical take it to the extreme argument championed by homers.

It's not that that making the playoffs isn't a nice thing. It's that I want the Bengals to be among the GREAT !

You're satisfied with so-so, well then good for you.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 07:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fred why do you call the Steelers, Packers, and Patriots teams great ?

See what I'm getting at here ??? The spin you try and put on it is - if you're not ecstatic that we've made the playoff 4 years in a row then you're a hater. It's the typical take it to the extreme argument championed by homers.

It's not that that making the playoffs isn't a nice thing. It's that I want the Bengals to be among the GREAT !

You're satisfied with so-so, well then good for you.

One may argue a so-so team wouldn't make the playoffs 4 years in a row, but on the other side of the coin I've never seen anyone proudly brag about getting 12th place 4 straight years, either.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 10:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: One may argue a so-so team wouldn't make the playoffs 4 years in a row, but on the other side of the coin I've never seen anyone proudly brag about getting 12th place 4 straight years, either.

One may also argue being the best of the worst isn't saying much !

In other words if we were at least making progress, looking like we belonged in the playoffs, taking in down to the wire, whatever. Maybe it would make a little sense to bang that drum ?

Fact is we've played basically the same playoff game not only 4 times in a row, but 0-6.
Reply/Quote
Dear Hue..... I see better than I hear.

I know you got it in you.
Lay the pipe and drive it home.
Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 10:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: One may also argue being the best of the worst isn't saying much !

In other words if we were at least making progress, looking like we belonged in the playoffs, taking in down to the wire, whatever. Maybe it would make a little sense to bang that drum ?

Fact is we've played basically the same playoff game not only 4 times in a row, but 0-6.

I don't disagree.  I'll say the 05 and 14 games get a bit of a pass, but otherwise, spot on.  Like I said, when you put "4 straight playoff berths!!!!" into perspective it really is saying "12th place 4 years in a row, baby!" and sounds kinda lame.
Reply/Quote
The only way we shake off the bungles image is if we win a championship this season and become consistent title contenders afterwards.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: After so many years of a business like approach with little fire from so many players (like Palmer, Whit, Andy, AJ, Leon and so many others) I have to wonder if Marv's team's take on his identity.

Marv's strength is actually his business like approach to each season. It's made the team consistently competitive since '03. His biggest weakness (IMO) is that he lacks fire. Sure there was that one hard knocks quote, but outside of that when has Marv ever shown any fire?

We've never really had that fiery leader at any point during Marv's tenure. The biggest faces on the club have been guys I mentioned (Palmer, Whit, Andy, AJ, Leon, Peko, Geno). All nice guys, but not vocal leaders or fiery at all.

Burfict was getting there, but now he's shelved. Hill has some potential if Hue let's him talk. We really need more of it though, and we need it from the faces of the franchise.
Honestly I think the whole Marvin doesn't have enough fire in his belly is severely overrated. Look at Bill Walsh he seamed laid back it didn't bother him in the playoffs, Bill Belicheck sounds like a zombie half of the time  he also has 4 rings as a head  coach, and Mike Tomlin is a pretty chilled guy but he has two rings. Hell look at Jim Mora he is probably he is one of the more intense guys in NFL history and he was 0-6 in the playoffs as well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 01:10 AM)J24 Wrote: Honestly I think the whole Marvin doesn't have enough fire in his belly is severely overrated. Look at Bill Walsh he seamed laid back it didn't bother him in the playoffs, Bill Belicheck sounds like a zombie half of the time  he also has 4 rings as a head  coach, and Mike Tomlin is a pretty chilled guy but he has two rings. Hell look at Jim Mora he is probably he is one of the more intense guys in NFL history and he was 0-6 in the playoffs as well.

Bill Walsh was a known perfectionist......requiring players to run the same play over and over and over until every meticulous detail.....all the way down to footwork....was done exactly to his standards.  You did it until you got it right.  He may not have been a fire and brimstone kind of guy, but he was also known to regularly take jabs at any player, and call them out in front of the entire team.  He would cuss your ass in a minute.....watch the old film of him in practice.

With Belichick, it's all about the accountability.  One false step, and your ass is benched and/or shipped out.  He may not show emotion, but there is a fear there......

EDIT: .....and Jim Mora has two USFL championships on his resume, and his teams played in all of the championship games in the league's history....

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: After so many years of a business like approach with little fire from so many players (like Palmer, Whit, Andy, AJ, Leon and so many others) I have to wonder if Marv's team's take on his identity.

Marv's strength is actually his business like approach to each season. It's made the team consistently competitive since '03. His biggest weakness (IMO) is that he lacks fire. Sure there was that one hard knocks quote, but outside of that when has Marv ever shown any fire?

We've never really had that fiery leader at any point during Marv's tenure. The biggest faces on the club have been guys I mentioned (Palmer, Whit, Andy, AJ, Leon, Peko, Geno). All nice guys, but not vocal leaders or fiery at all.

Burfict was getting there, but now he's shelved. Hill has some potential if Hue let's him talk. We really need more of it though, and we need it from the faces of the franchise.

Completely agree.  And I, too, thought Burfict was going to be the team's Ray Lewis (without the murders) and force the team to get better and have the mental toughness so they don't fall in to that "here we go again" mentality. 

Although I am not certain the extent of his playing time will be this year, but I think the signing of a veteran like Hawk can only help in this aspect.  Guys like Hill also have a toughness that can spread throughout the team.  When I look at how he pounded the Browns in the second meeting after the absolute drubbing they took on the Thursday Night Primetime game, I think he is one that walks the walk. 

I really think one wildcard here is Dennard.  He is a guy that his coaches raved about his leadership at MSU.  If he can earn a starting role, I think he could start to be a more vocal leader on the defense. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 12:46 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: His tendency to clap after every mishap and misfortune our team goes through drives me wild.

Our punter breaks his jaw. He claps the team back to the sideline.

He is far too passive during games.

I like Marvin overall, but when I see that and I can see him mouth move "Let's go", I want to punch him in the throat.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 08:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Bill Walsh was a known perfectionist......requiring players to run the same play over and over and over until every meticulous detail.....all the way down to footwork....was done exactly to his standards.  You did it until you got it right.  He may not have been a fire and brimstone kind of guy, but he was also known to regularly take jabs at any player, and call them out in front of the entire team.  He would cuss your ass in a minute.....watch the old film of him in practice.

With Belichick, it's all about the accountability.  One false step, and your ass is benched and/or shipped out.  He may not show emotion, but there is a fear there......

EDIT:  .....and Jim Mora has two USFL championships on his resume, and his teams played in all of the championship games in the league's history....

Exactly Wyche !

Like somebody else said and SHRacer talks about below, standing over on the sidelines clapping and saying let's go after we just got our ass handed to us just doesn't get it done.

I don't want a coach jumping up and down screaming on the sidelines but in the same breath show some passion, show some fire, bench some asses. And mean it !

Lack of accountability is one of this teams bigger problems.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 11:05 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly Wyche !

Like somebody else said and SHRacer talks about below, standing over on the sidelines clapping and saying let's go after we just got our ass handed to us just doesn't get it done.

I don't want a coach jumping up and down screaming on the sidelines but in the same breath show some passion, show some fire, bench some asses. And mean it !

Lack of accountability is one of this teams bigger problems.

If not THE biggest.....

Reply/Quote
So are we.

Hopefully the actually do something about it this year, rather than perpetuating it.
Reply/Quote