Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hue's glad Andy is waving off play calls
(08-19-2015, 08:37 AM)djs7685 Wrote: That's how a lot of us are, but everyone has at least a little bit of bias for different guys it seems.

Nearly everything Dalton does on the field DOES get blamed on others by certain people (unless it's a good play). If he throws a duck that Sanu happens to haul in, you don't hear a thing from the Andy defenders. If he throws a duck and Sanu can't pull it down, then the excuses fly. Same goes for the other side of things. If a ball hits A.J. in the hands and he just flat out drops it, you'll still see a couple guys give a "GOOD JOB ANDY YOU SUCK!".

Both sides are full of dopey individuals, but depending on who you argue with more will decide whether they call you a "homer" or "hater". I strongly encourage you to join the dark side of the force though, it's much more entertaining. If you argue with Utts and company, all they'll give you is a "Haha, Andy sucks you nerd" and there isn't much excitement there. The guys that obsess over Andy are a lot more fun and they'll spend hours spinning your head off with excuses, and quite frankly, it's hilarious to watch how much they're in love with the guy.

Spot on. 99% of people on here view Dalton as an average-ish QB. The line is drawn between people who take a positive or negative slant towards his average-ness. Personally, I think an average QB is good enough and I think our playoff issues are caused by the Head Coach. I think any QB would struggle in the playoffs under Marvin Lewis. I don't have any delusions about Dalton though. I know he's been average in regular season and terrible in the playoffs.

Most people are pretty reasonable about it. It just seems like the extreme viewpoints (positive or negative) tend to drive the conversations.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 04:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Spot on. 99% of people on here view Dalton as an average-ish QB. The line is drawn between people who take a positive or negative slant towards his average-ness. Personally, I think an average QB is good enough and I think our playoff issues are caused by the Head Coach. I think any QB would struggle in the playoffs under Marvin Lewis. I don't have any delusions about Dalton though. I know he's been average in regular season and terrible in the playoffs.

Most people are pretty reasonable about it. It just seems like the extreme viewpoints (positive or negative) tend to drive the conversations.

They have the nasty habit of making moderate views seem extreme to the opposite ends. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 04:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: They have the nasty habit of making moderate views seem extreme to the opposite ends. 

This happens a lot as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 03:58 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: I give him credit where it's due, and blame where it's due as well.

My point is that there always seems to be an excuse when he plays poorly. 

When you're a starting QB of an NFL team, you're going to be criticized.  He's not the only QB in the NFL that has injuries, coaching problems, poor line blocking, or receivers dropping passes or running wrong routes. 

If people think that Dalton is the QB that's going to lead the Bengals to a Super Bowl, fine.  I hope they're right.

He's done nothing to convince me that he's capable of doing so to this point.  

When you take everything into Account... A QB can only be as good as those around him.

He could throw a pass to the right spot but his WR not be there.... makes a QB look worse than he is.

He could throw a bad pass and the WR make a great Adjustment to make the Catch. Makes the QB look better than he is.

run game factors into how a defense plays the pass... And the defense itself factors in a ton as well. without know the routes called every play we have no way to know who was right and who wrong just if the play is successful or not.

People who expected the QB to get better last year when his supporting cast took a hit should be displeased.

Im just excited to see what this offense can do with all its toys available. When you have as many reliable targets as we seem to think we have. it will be very hard for the opposing Ds to focus on 1 or 2 guys like what we had per game last season..
When you take everything into Account... A QB can only be as good as those around him.

He could throw a pass to the right spot but his WR not be there.... makes a QB look worse than he is. Or bad catch or a ball that bounces into a defenders hands etc..

He could throw a bad pass and the WR make a great Adjustment to make the Catch. Makes the QB look better than he is.

run game factors into how a defense plays the pass... And the defense itself factors in a ton as well. without know the routes called every play we have no way to know who was right and who wrong just if the play is successful or not.

People who expected the QB to get better last year when his supporting cast took a hit should be displeased.

Im just excited to see what this offense can do with all its toys available. When you have as many reliable targets as we seem to think we have. it will be very hard for the opposing Ds to focus on 1 or 2 guys like what we had per game last season..
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 05:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: When you take everything into Account...  A QB can only be as good as those around him.

He could throw a pass to the right spot but his WR not be there.... makes a QB look worse than he is.

He could throw a bad pass and the WR make a great Adjustment to make the Catch.  Makes the QB look better than he is.

run game factors into how a defense plays the pass...  And the defense itself factors in a ton as well.   without know the routes called every play we have no way to know who was right and who wrong just if the play is successful or not.  

Im just excited to see what this offense can do with all its toys available.  When you have as many reliable targets as we seem to think we have. it will be very hard for the opposing Ds to focus on 1 or 2 guys like what we had per game last season..
When you take everything into Account...  A QB can only be as good as those around him.

He could throw a pass to the right spot but his WR not be there.... makes a QB look worse than he is. Or bad catch or a ball that bounces into a defenders hands etc..

He could throw a bad pass and the WR make a great Adjustment to make the Catch.  Makes the QB look better than he is.

run game factors into how a defense plays the pass...  And the defense itself factors in a ton as well.   without know the routes called every play we have no way to know who was right and who wrong just if the play is successful or not.  

Im just excited to see what this offense can do with all its toys available.  When you have as many reliable targets as we seem to think we have. it will be very hard for the opposing Ds to focus on 1 or 2 guys like what we had per game last season..

I agree

And I still agree
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 01:53 PM)xavierdude Wrote: highschool  and college quarterbacks waive off plays and yell at their offense all the time..so what..we go through this nonsense every pre season

Gotta have some hope that AD gets it together do we not?
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 12:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gotta have some hope that AD gets it together do we not?

Andy already has it together, if only everybody else around him would just stop screwing up!

That's what I've been told, at least.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 12:51 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Andy already has it together, if only everybody else around him would just stop screwing up!

That's what I've been told, at least.

Well, thats BS. He has tons to improve upon as does lots of players if not all on this team.

The only guy that played pretty much great last season was Whitworth.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 01:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, thats BS. He has tons to improve upon as does lots of players if not all on this team.

The only guy that played pretty much great last season was Whitworth.

Haha, I know, was just messing with the local lunatic a bit.

I was very happy with Whit and Iloka last season. Some of the others played very well (A.J. when he was on the field, Boling, Jones, Dunlap), but it would be nice to see improvement from everybody.

This team is solid overall, I do think that we have the best shot at competing even if Andy would be the only player to significant improve. QB is an important position, and if he can just play a little bit less poorly in the playoffs and the defense can play just a little better in the playoffs, we'll be fine IMO.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 01:05 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Haha, I know, was just messing with the local lunatic a bit.

I was very happy with Whit and Iloka last season. Some of the others played very well (A.J. when he was on the field, Boling, Jones, Dunlap), but it would be nice to see improvement from everybody.

This team is solid overall, I do think that we have the best shot at competing even if Andy would be the only player to significant improve. QB is an important position, and if he can just play a little bit less poorly in the playoffs and the defense can play just a little better in the playoffs, we'll be fine IMO.

Completely agree, plus Marv needs to be able to get these guys to play better in the big games.

That is my biggest concern, Marvin frickin Lewis. He is great at putting a team together but his in game management
and inability to get his players motivated leaves tons to be desired. Plus everytime we have been in the Playoffs he has
been outcoached by a great degree. I hope the players can carry him, especially Dalton.

Like you said, if one player could help us the most if he significantly improved it is Dalton.

Geno Atkins being back is also a big deal.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 01:05 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Haha, I know, was just messing with the local lunatic a bit.

I disagree strongly.

There are 2 guys that did not play much in 2014, Jones and Eifert so they need to improve also. Geno needs to play 100% better than he did in 2014. Hill was good for 50% of the season so he needs to improve. We have a lot of guys that need to improve (get healthy) like Burfict as well who played very poorly before he was hurt.

It is crazy to feel the improvement of 1 player is more important than the improvement of 8 to 10 players. I will take improvement from the 8 to 10 every time because if the improvement is not earth shattering, the team will be better than major improvement from 1 player and everyone else is the same or worse.

I love synergy so I love the sum of the parts to achieve greatness.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2015, 03:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I disagree strongly.

There are 2 guys that did not play much in 2014, Jones and Eifert so they need to improve also. Geno needs to play 100% better than he did in 2014. Hill was good for 50% of the season so he needs to improve. We have a lot of guys that need to improve (get healthy) like Burfict as well who played very poorly before he was hurt.

It is crazy to feel the improvement of 1 player is more important than the improvement of 8 to 10 players. I will take improvement from the 8 to 10 every time because if the improvement is not earth shattering, the team will be better than major improvement from 1 player and everyone else is the same or worse.

I love synergy so I love the sum of the parts to achieve greatness.

I think you may have misread what I posted.

I was saying if ONLY 1 player improves just a little bit, it would be important for it to be Andy. I think it's more important that he improves moreso than any other player for the best chance of victory.

Of course if I had to pick between 8 other guys or just Andy, I'd pick the 8 other guys. That's a no brainer for me too.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 05:24 PM)Lewdog Wrote: It took to just now for Andy to wave off plays?  That's ridiculous.  Watch Peyton Manning, he tells the coach to change the play all the time.  Maybe this will be a graduation for Dalton, and he can start seeing tendencies by the defense and start calling successful plays.

Dalton is so far away from Manning that he'd need a telescope just get Manning in his sights. This is year 5 after all. By year 5 pretty much everyone knew Manning will be a HOF QB.

But it is good to hear that Dalton is getting there. Now gotta see it.

Reply/Quote