Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge mistake to tag Tee
(01-23-2024, 12:49 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I am not sure I am ready to give up on Yoshi being our #2. I think he made great improvements thru the season.

Im not sure why you ever started believing this?  I like Yoshi but he didnt show nearly enough to warrant being our #2 in 2024. 

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 09:50 AM)Synric Wrote: Everyone should know that Orlando Brown has been the best FA Tackle the Bengals have brought in... La'el Collins, Riley Reiff, Bobby Hart... The Free Agent Offensive Tackle market hasn't been anymore successful than their Offensive Tackle drafts.

Keeping in mind that Orlando Brown is the first time that they went out and spent premium money on a top tier Tackle in free agency.  Those other guys that you mentioned?  Those were cost-miserly moves hoping to plug a hole for as cheap as possible.  Maybe it's not the Free Agent Tackle Market that has been failing as much as the team's strategy in approaching it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 10:39 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Im not sure why you ever started believing this?  I like Yoshi but he didnt show nearly enough to warrant being our #2 in 2024. 

Agreed, he should not simply be given the role and expected to grow into it, he has however shown that he deserves more reps in general.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 11:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Keeping in mind that Orlando Brown is the first time that they went out and spent premium money on a top tier Tackle in free agency.  Those other guys that you mentioned?  Those were cost-miserly moves hoping to plug a hole for as cheap as possible.  Maybe it's not the Free Agent Tackle Market that has been failing as much as the team's strategy in approaching it?

See that's where we have to look at rhe overall Free Agent Market. Orlando Brown was a top 10 overall Free Agent and they had a LT that was more having a chance to go get a dude. I don't see an Orlando Brown in the top 10 this year... I do see some DTs in the top 10 and Tee Higgins is in the top 10. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 11:07 AM)Synric Wrote: See that's where we have to look at rhe overall Free Agent Market. Orlando Brown was a top 10 overall Free Agent and they had a LT that was more having a chance to go get a dude. I don't see an Orlando Brown in the top 10 this year... I do see some DTs in the top 10 and Tee Higgins is in the top 10. 

Thankfully the Bengals don't appear to be needing a LT this time around, but if they did Tyron Smith would likely be a good option.  If the Bengals want to solidify the RT position while a drafted rookie develops for a year or two, Trent Brown would be a great guy to hold it down.  I would also take a good look at Germaine Eluemunor.  Sure, there are other guys like Onwnu, but he's slow off the line, and Mechi Becton who often gets tangled in his own feet.  Hard pass on those two.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 11:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thankfully the Bengals don't appear to be needing a LT this time around, but if they did Tyron Smith would likely be a good option.  If the Bengals want to solidify the RT position while a drafted rookie develops for a year or two, Trent Brown would be a great guy to hold it down.  I would also take a good look at Germaine Eluemunor.  Sure, there are other guys like Onwnu, but he's slow off the line, and Mechi Becton who often gets tangled in his own feet.  Hard pass on those two.

Brown isnt considered a "great guy" in NE, lol.  Although he performed well in the games he did play.  Eluemunor is solid choice as well.

The number of fans on Twitter that have wanted Becton last season and currently are so far off base.  The guy stayed hurt and played horribly when he was healthy. 

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 11:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thankfully the Bengals don't appear to be needing a LT this time around, but if they did Tyron Smith would likely be a good option.  If the Bengals want to solidify the RT position while a drafted rookie develops for a year or two, Trent Brown would be a great guy to hold it down.  I would also take a good look at Germaine Eluemunor.  Sure, there are other guys like Onwnu, but he's slow off the line, and Mechi Becton who often gets tangled in his own feet.  Hard pass on those two.

We don't want Trent Brown anywhere near Cincy doesn't matter if it's the FO or him but him refusing to play is a red flag. I would be more ok with Germaine Eluemunor if the Bengals were going to change to a 12 personnel run heavy offense but I don't see that same with Michael Onwenu. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 12:05 PM)Synric Wrote: We don't want Trent Brown anywhere near Cincy doesn't matter if it's the FO or him but him refusing to play is a red flag. I would be more ok with Germaine Eluemunor if the Bengals were going to change to a 12 personnel run heavy offense but I don't see that same with Michael Onwenu. 

Eluemunor graded out a little better than Jonah Williams this year, and played on a 1yr/$3M contract.  What do you suppose it would take to get Jermaine here?  I would guess 3yr/$25M or thereabouts.

Edit: Eluemunor graded out much better than Jonah Williams. 72 pass block grade, 74.7 true pass set block grade for Eluemunor and 63.2 and 60.9 for Jonah.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 10:39 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Im not sure why you ever started believing this?  I like Yoshi but he didnt show nearly enough to warrant being our #2 in 2024. 

If he takes the spot in camp cool... But yeah he shouldnt be the plan going into camp
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 12:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eluemunor graded out a little better than Jonah Williams this year, and played on a 1yr/$3M contract.  What do you suppose it would take to get Jermaine here?  I would guess 3yr/$25M or thereabouts.  

Edit: Eluemunor graded out much better than Jonah Williams.  72 pass block grade, 74.7 true pass set block grade for Eluemunor and 63.2 and 60.9 for Jonah.

Easy Rockefeller, he played on a 1 year 3M deal (includes bonuses) last year.  He has never played for more than $2M base salary in his career.  Apparently he really likes Vegas.  

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 12:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eluemunor graded out a little better than Jonah Williams this year, and played on a 1yr/$3M contract.  What do you suppose it would take to get Jermaine here?  I would guess 3yr/$25M or thereabouts.  

Edit: Eluemunor graded out much better than Jonah Williams.  72 pass block grade, 74.7 true pass set block grade for Eluemunor and 63.2 and 60.9 for Jonah.

The difference is the offenses. Eluemunor's pass sets were from drop back undercenter play action from a run heavy scheme. Jonah Williams true pass sets were from a spread RPO with him constantly on an island. 

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 12:36 PM)Synric Wrote: The difference is the offenses. Eluemunor's pass sets were from drop back undercenter play action from a run heavy scheme. Jonah Williams true pass sets were from a spread RPO with him constantly on an island. 

All that means is that they'll have a reason to re-sign Drew Sample and utilize him to the fullest.  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yoshi & Jones are in no way ready to be #2 receivers. Nor WR3, really.

That is another reason to tag Tee. It buys those guys a year to develop. If Tee has a monster year, his trade value goes up.

$20.7 seems fair to me.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/projected-2024-franchise-tag-candidates-2110/

There is no chance we let Tee walk this year. A tag & trade makes little sense as a team with a first would be better off just taking the WR Rd 1 instead if trading the pick AND paying $20 mil.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 01:04 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Yoshi & Jones are in no way ready to be #2 receivers. Nor WR3, really.

That is another reason to tag Tee. It buys those guys a year to develop. If Tee has a monster year, his trade value goes up.

$20.7 seems fair to me.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/projected-2024-franchise-tag-candidates-2110/

There is no chance we let Tee walk this year. A tag & trade makes little sense as a team with a first would be better off just taking the WR Rd 1 instead if trading the pick AND paying $20 mil.

They’re not getting a 1st rounder for one season of Tee Higgins anyway. But if they were offered a 2nd I would hope they’d at least consider it rather than losing him in 2025 for nothing.

Reply/Quote
If you spend over 20 million dollars for a guy with 42 catches for 656 yards then you are not a very good GM.
Reply/Quote
All for letting Tee go and adding to the trenches instead. I just think they will tag Tee even if it is the wrong move.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 02:52 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: If you spend over 20 million dollars for a guy with 42 catches for 656 yards then you are not a very good GM.

So  I guess we simply disregard what Tee has done his 1st 3 years 
In the league?
Reply/Quote
Don't pay for what people have done. Pay for what they are going to do.

Tee is a great #2. Don't pay a #2 like a #1 if you also have to pay your QB 50+ million soon.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 09:04 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who said strength of the team?  I said pretty good compared to what we had previously, and I stand by that.  The personnel they have are just fine, it's more about how they are being managed that is holding them back.  A lot of the perceptions about the OL will go away with more practice reps in the preseason.  For a couple of years in a row, we've watched our OL come out looking like they all just met each other for the first time, and then build continuity as the season progresses.  That part has to change, they really need those reps in preseason in order to come out looking like a true unit on opening day.

Basically, the Bengals need to secure their next RT and vastly improve the quality of depth on OL, as far as personnel goes.  Any real improvement will have to come in the form of schematic changes and a difference in preseason philosophy.

You quoted my post initially  Tongue

I said nobody would call them pretty good... to which you said they are currently.... to which I said only compared to the mess they were before. Point was initially that nobody would call our group 'pretty good' by a league metric. 

I do agree I think it's more the coaching than the personnel. As per my initial post, we haven't had a 'pretty good' OL in a long time.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2024, 09:50 AM)Synric Wrote: If the Bengals are good at drafting WRs as suggested they don't have to do it round 1. They could get a higher percentage chance at a good player at one of the trench positions. They haven't had a 2 year starter at RT since Bobby Hart.

PS: Everyone should know that Orlando Brown has been the best FA Tackle the Bengals have brought in... La'el Collins, Riley Reiff, Bobby Hart... The Free Agent Offensive Tackle market hasn't been anymore successful than their Offensive Tackle drafts.

Yes it has.

Their drafts have been D'Ante Smith, Jackson Carman, and Jonah Williams.
Two of those guys have done nothing.
Williams was alright.
Hart, Reiff, Collins, and Brown have been better than the likes of Smith and Carman.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote