Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Hunter Biden Trial Begins
https://www.reuters.com/legal/hunter-biden-criminal-trial-begins-aftermath-trump-conviction-2024-06-03/

In the first-time trial of the child of a sitting POTUS, if he is convicted on these charges that are typically not brought to trial and are potentially unconstitutional based on prior federal court decisions, I will applaud that he is being held accountable for his crimes.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I don't really care.

I've never seen him begging for money, I've never heard of him defrauding charities but he's a citizen like another one and must be trialed like a citizen like another one.

I would be very surprised if he goes to jail though.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Dr Jill Biden is in attendence

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Meh.

One of three outcomes.

Family influences the case and found innocent.

Family influence for minimal punishment if found guilty.

Pardoned if found guilty.

No surprises, or concerns whatever the outcome.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 11:43 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Meh.

One of three outcomes.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 11:43 AM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Meh.

One of three outcomes.

If found guilty, he is likely to be fined.  IN 2019. the year Biden purchased the gun 27,000,000 gun forms were filled out.  478 were referred for prosecution.  The Feds then brought cases in 298 of them.  Most of those cases involved some other illegal use of the weapon such as an assault or robbery.  Jail time for lying alone is virtually unheard of.  The only reason this case is being prosecuted is because the defendent is Hunter Biden.

So what do you think the appropriate pensalty should be?

Reply/Quote
NEW: Statement from President Joe Biden:

“I am the President, but I am also a Dad. Jill and I love our son, and we are so proud of the man he is today. Hunter’s resilience in the face of adversity and the strength he has brought to his recovery are inspiring to us. A lot of families have loved ones who have overcome addiction and know what we mean. As the President, I don’t and won’t comment on pending federal cases, but as a Dad, I have boundless love for my son, confidence in him, and respect for his strength. Our family has been through a lot together, and Jill and I are going to continue to be there for Hunter and our family with our love and support.”
9:26 AM · Jun 3, 2024
·
Views

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 11:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

It's ok when we do it.

As to the thread topic, I don't think many people are interested aside from seeing the outcome.  As a "first time offender" he'll get off relatively light and that will be used as further fodder that the system is rigged in favor of the Dems.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 12:04 PM)pally Wrote: If found guilty, he is likely to be fined.  IN 2019. the year Biden purchased the gun 27,000,000 gun forms were filled out.  478 were referred for prosecution.  The Feds then brought cases in 298 of them.  Most of those cases involved some other illegal use of the weapon such as an assault or robbery.  Jail time for lying alone is virtually unheard of.  The only reason this case is being prosecuted is because the defendent is Hunter Biden.

No idea currently, haven't read up on it or similar cases. Heavy drug users falsify documents to obtain multiple firearms? Alside from thos ethre outcomes, all I know is it will get ugly with all the media out there.

No reason, at least for me, to really care one way or the other.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 12:20 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: No idea currently, haven't read up on it or similar cases. Heavy drug users falsify documents to obtain multiple firearms? Alside from thos ethre outcomes, all I know is it will get ugly with all the media out there.

No reason, at least for me, to really care one way or the other.

He only purchased 1 gun.  

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 12:22 PM)pally Wrote: He only purchased 1 gun.  

Correct, but I believe there were pictures of him in the same timeframe brandishing a different pistol, which is why I said two.

Maybe he is not being charged with possessing it or they are not pursuing charges, or the picture was disproven?

Whatever the case, meh.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 12:04 PM)pally Wrote: If found guilty, he is likely to be fined.  IN 2019. the year Biden purchased the gun 27,000,000 gun forms were filled out.  478 were referred for prosecution.  The Feds then brought cases in 298 of them.  Most of those cases involved some other illegal use of the weapon such as an assault or robbery.  Jail time for lying alone is virtually unheard of.  The only reason this case is being prosecuted is because the defendent is Hunter Biden.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 12:04 PM)pally Wrote: IN 2019. the year Biden purchased the gun 27,000,000 gun forms were filled out.  478 were referred for prosecution.

But how many people who filled out those forms does the DA have on tape coked out waving a gun?

I agree this is petty and shouldn't have been charged, but then you're asking a DA to ignore plain evidence of a crime.

And the FARA stuff is serious. Manafort and Gates went to jail for that, despite the fact the investigation had been shelved. But it was egregious, just like Hunter, and deserved to be prosecuted, just like Hunter. Or maybe he actually [for some reason] hasn't been charged with that. But same would apply to the tax charges.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 12:30 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: But how many people who filled out those forms does the DA have on tape coked out waving a gun?

I agree this is petty and shouldn't have been charged, but then you're asking a DA to ignore plain evidence of a crime.

And the FARA stuff is serious.  Manafort and Gates went to jail for that, despite the fact the investigation had been shelved.  But it was egregious, just like Hunter, and deserved to be prosecuted, just like Hunter.  Or maybe he actually [for some reason] hasn't been charged with that.  But same would apply to the tax charges.

This case is the gun charge only.  Waving around a gun is not illegal..stupid but not illegal.   He is charged ONLY with the application violation.  My guess is if the jury finds him guilty, he will receive a nominal suspended sentence and a hefty fine.  And that is not selectively sentencing him

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 12:42 PM)pally Wrote: This case is the gun charge only.  Waving around a gun is not illegal..stupid but not illegal.   He is charged ONLY with the application violation.  My guess is if the jury finds him guilty, he will receive a nominal suspended sentence and a hefty fine.  And that is not selectively sentencing him

Again, he's ON TAPE HIGH AS A KITE WAVING A GUN....which proves the lie on the application.  I mean, you all are all for "holding people accountable" even when it involves twisting and contortions of the law, but then willing to look the other way in the face of plain evidence when it's your side.

This is about as stupid as that guy the other day calling in from a zoom driving his car on a hearing over his suspended license.  Zero sympathy.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 12:25 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Correct, but I believe there were pictures of him in the same timeframe brandishing a different pistol, which is why I said two.

Maybe he is not being charged with possessing it or they are not pursuing charges, or the picture was disproven?

Whatever the case, meh.

I heard this morning they are allowing excerpts from his biography where he admits he was using at the time.  Really its a pretty simply case to win for the prosecution.

The question will be how he is sentenced.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 12:48 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Again, he's ON TAPE HIGH AS A KITE WAVING A GUN....which proves the lie on the application.  I mean, you all are all for "holding people accountable" even when it involves twisting and contortions of the law, but then willing to look the other way in the face of plain evidence when it's your side.

This is about as stupid as that guy the other day calling in from a zoom driving his car on a hearing over his suspended license.  Zero sympathy.

that's not the purchased gun.

Have I said he should get off?  But you can't start adding in stuff that doesn't apply to the case.  FARA has nothing to do with this gun case.  Hunter buying the gun, as far as I know, is not disputed by either side

Reply/Quote

So, here is the thing. It will all come down to how Hunter Biden behaves in court. If he is found guilty of one or all of the crimes he is charged with, the federal sentencing guidelines have a minimum sentencing of 15 months and it must be imprisonment because it places him in zone D on the sentencing table. If he is genuinely remorseful, it could drop him into zone B or C. Zone C would still require imprisonment, but it could be minimal with additional supervised release.

If he is found guilty of these charges, he should face imprisonment based on my understanding of the guidelines. As for how common this is, in FY2022, 97.4% of 922(g) offenders were sentenced to imprisonment
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 12:48 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Again, he's ON TAPE HIGH AS A KITE WAVING A GUN....which proves the lie on the application.  I mean, you all are all for "holding people accountable" even when it involves twisting and contortions of the law, but then willing to look the other way in the face of plain evidence when it's your side.

Talk about some dumb criminal news.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Witchhunt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote