Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I’m excited for next season...
The draft hasn’t happened yet, but I can definitely say I’m super excited for next season. We were in SO MANY close games last season where when I look back on the games, we could’ve won a lot of the games we lost. I think we’re on the right track and if we figure out how to finish games and protect Burrow, there’s no doubt in my mind we can be a playoff team this upcoming season.

In our 11 losses, 5 of them were less than a touchdown deficit.

If we can draft some o-linemen and get Burrow another weapon this draft while stacking up on more talent on the d-line... I think we’re primed to have a great season. I’m just trying to be optimistic.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Tis the time to be optimistic (before week 1 when reality hits).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I get excited bout every Bengal season. I can't help but "hope for the best". But I still have a big problem with our coaching staff. Free agency and the draft makes everyone concentrate so much on players that the coaching kind of fades to the background, but I don't see us having a winning season with Taylor as HC.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I get excited bout every Bengal season.  I can't help but "hope for the best".  But I still have a big problem with our coaching staff.  Free agency and the draft makes everyone concentrate so much on players that the coaching kind of fades to the background, but I don't see us having a winning season with Taylor as HC.

The sad reality of it is everyone complained about Marvin Lewis' teams of being 8-8 and they just weren't good enough.  

Yet after 2 years we're 6-25-1.  Now we're HOPING for a year of .500 football again.  

I agree with you Fred, I don't see us having a winning season with Taylor or Lou leading our defense.  

This team needs so much talent.  If injuries hit again this year and they will they still don't have the depth to handle it with the exception of in the defensive backfield.  

We're thin everywhere else.  That falls on Taylor and Duke.  Honestly, I think both need fired but Duke will stay around and the blame will fall on Taylor, which it completely should because he's the one that came up with the plan to switch to a zone defense and not use the talent he already had. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I get excited bout every Bengal season.  I can't help but "hope for the best".  But I still have a big problem with our coaching staff.  Free agency and the draft makes everyone concentrate so much on players that the coaching kind of fades to the background, but I don't see us having a winning season with Taylor as HC.

Year 3 is a big year for the Bengals coaching staff I always say give a player and a HC 3 years.

The Offensive Passing scheme was solid last year but took a beating because of the offensive line, lack of a vertical threat, and lack of run game. The Run Offense was very poorly done and why I'm excited that Frank Pollack isn't only the Offensive Line Coach but also the Run Game Coordinator.

Injuries really hurt the defensive side the ball. Alot of the guys that took the reps in training camp didn't play or played only a few games especially on the defensive line which is the most critical part of the defense. 

All in All this is really a make or break it year for the coaching staff in most people eyes including mine. There has to be a drastic improvement.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: Tis the time to be optimistic (before week 1 when reality hits).

Hahahahahahaha so true tho
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 01:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Year 3 is a big year for the Bengals coaching staff I always say give a player and a HC 3 years.

The Offensive Passing scheme was solid last year but took a beating because of the offensive line, lack of a vertical threat, and lack of run game. The Run Offense was very poorly done and why I'm excited that Frank Pollack isn't only the Offensive Line Coach but also the Run Game Coordinator.

Injuries really hurt the defensive side the ball. Alot of the guys that took the reps in training camp didn't play or played only a few games especially on the defensive line which is the most critical part of the defense. 

All in All this is really a make or break it year for the coaching staff in most people eyes including mine. There has to be a drastic improvement.

The bolded is true, but the fact that Taylor couldn't scheme his way out and find something that worked is hard to overcome.  Same with the defense.  Take the pieces you have and find a way to make it work.  No reason for the team to have decreased in capability as much as it did when Marvin left except the stubbornness of coaches who are only willing to do things one way.  And with the right pieces this year, it might finally work.  But if there are injuries, what then?  The staff doesn't really show the ability to overcome and work around.  

I'm hopeful every year at this time.  Seeing new guys coming in from FA and the draft.  Always hoping the new energy will help, and that spots are upgraded or there's at least more depth.  Optimism is an expectation, where hope is a desire.  I'm hopeful, not optimistic.  I really want to be shocked by this team.  I want to eat some crow about Taylor and Lou.  I want to see these guys shine and this team look strong in all facets of the game.  But I'm saving my optimism right now. 
Reply/Quote
We’ve definitely hashed out the “one score loss” story before last season and unfortunately had the same issues last year. Why are we losing these close games? Typically, from what I remember, we were ahead and the defense failed us (thinking Baker Mayfield driving the field in virtually no time at all). I put the fault on the secondary depth. We’ve updated that depth, so hopefully Lou’s defense can hold on for a win in those final seconds.
Reply/Quote
The vast majority of games in the NFL are decided by 1 score. Bad teams lose them, good teams win them. It's not a sign of being "close", it's just a sign you are a losing team.

I remember doing this for (I think) the 2019 season. If all 1 score losses were turned into wins for all teams, there were only 2 teams with a losing record, and those teams had a 7-9 record.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
What only I know is the Bengals were gonna win the superbowl every year if they only played the way I wanted them to...win every single game from start to finish.. I can't believe they haven't done that for the past 54 (or whatever) years.. Just you wait n see..Someday they're gonna win a game again and you'll be sorry for ever doubting them! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 02:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The vast majority of games in the NFL are decided by 1 score. Bad teams lose them, good teams win them. It's not a sign of being "close", it's just a sign you are a losing team.

I remember doing this for (I think) the 2019 season. If all 1 score losses were turned into wins for all teams, there were only 2 teams with a losing record, and those teams had a 7-9 record.
This ^^^
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 02:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The vast majority of games in the NFL are decided by 1 score. Bad teams lose them, good teams win them. It's not a sign of being "close", it's just a sign you are a losing team.

To illustrate this... Trevor Lawrence will be drafted to a team with 1 win last season. The Jaguars lost 6 one score games last year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

They should start a new league..The Horseshoes and Hand Grenade league..  Closeness counts then..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 03:00 PM)jason Wrote: To illustrate this... Trevor Lawrence will be drafted to a team with 1 win last season. The Jaguars lost 6 one score games last year.

the one score stat is so irrelevant

it's not bad luck to lose that many games by 1 score like the 2020 jags and 2019 bengals have

they're just terrible

Total fools gold. It makes fans think the team isnt that bad

sort of like when players who were terrible all year start to play decent within the last 3 weeks. 

It doesnt mean they've turned the corner
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 03:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: the one score stat is so irrelevant

it's not bad luck to lose that many games by 1 score like the 2020 jags and 2019 bengals have

they're just terrible

Total fools gold. It makes fans think the team isnt that bad

sort of like when players who were terrible all year start to play decent within the last 3 weeks. 

It doesnt mean they've turned the corner

Especially when every good team we played last year not named the Titans waxed us.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
ahhh, the best time to be a Bengals fan, the offseason when one can dream!

Enjoy before reality hits about halftime during week one....
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 03:22 PM)yang Wrote: ahhh, the best time to be a Bengals fan, the offseason when one can dream!

Enjoy before reality hits about halftime during week one....

Halftime? More like after the first 3 and out or long drive by an opposing offense lol.
Reply/Quote
I'm always excited about the football season, but I don't think we're going to do very well. We still have Zac as a HC. I've always had a problem with our play calling and how our players are coached. I am happy that we're going out in FA a lot more than the Marvin Lewis era, but I don't really think that's a Zac thing. I hope that Zac get's his shit together and we win a bunch of games, but if he doesn't then I hope that the Brown family decides to part ways with him.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 01:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Year 3 is a big year for the Bengals coaching staff I always say give a player and a HC 3 years.

if it gets your QB killed it wasnt a solid plan. blame the OL but they knew they had a bad OL and still called long developing routes.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:29 PM)milksheikh Wrote: The draft hasn’t happened yet, but I can definitely say I’m super excited for next season. We were in SO MANY close games last season where when I look back on the games, we could’ve won a lot of the games we lost. I think we’re on the right track and if we figure out how to finish games and protect Burrow, there’s no doubt in my mind we can be a playoff team this upcoming season.

In our 11 losses, 5 of them were less than a touchdown deficit.

If we can draft some o-linemen and get Burrow another weapon this draft while stacking up on more talent on the d-line... I think we’re primed to have a great season. I’m just trying to be optimistic.

Every team can say that, though.It's a really interesting dynamic. Bottom line is they weren't good enough/ mature enough/ tough enough/ coached well enough to win those games. We may think that's a fine line but it's really not. To be able to give total maximum effort on most plays is demanding. Gotta first start with a culture where everyone buys into.

In a sport where there's almost difference in speed/size/strength/athletic ability between the teams it's really mind-boggling how some teams/ organizations are almost always crap.
Reply/Quote