Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Can't Wait Until the End of the Year Press Conference
So if I'm posing talking point questions to Mike Brown at this point...

1.  The Ravens lead our division.  They've drafted a starting QB successfully and parted ways with a their franchise Super Bowl winning QB.  It was an obvious move that was tough, but had to be made.  Are you prepared to make the moves necessary at the appropriate time to improve?

2.  Injuries hinder many teams.  The Steelers lost their starting QB, their #1 WR and starting RB have barely played.  That being said.  They still have a winning record despite being affected and have overcome those setbacks.  Why can't your current team win more than one game?

3.  The Browns have had a less than stellar season as expected.  Mayfield's first full year has slumped.  Kitchens is also being scrutinized for his first year as HC and there has even been talk of letting him go.  That being said.  They still have managed to win at least half of their games yet both of them are feeling heat.  Your team has one win.  What is the expectation of fan/media scrutiny for Zac and Andy at this point?  Have you and management done your best to put both of them in a situation to succeed?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 02:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If you think Duke Tobin is a GM in all but name then I'm not sure you know exactly what it is that a GM does.

Just because a few people like to claim Tobin is essentially our GM doesn't make it close to true.

Has he gained additiinal input? Sure. Does he do more, or have more say, than the average scouting director? Perhaps he does. I'll even concede that he has a unique role, in a unique front office structure. But none of this makes him close to the "real GM" people often call for.

A GM usually oversees the entire football operations side of the organization. Does that describe Duke Tobin to you.

They often are in charge of the firing and hiring of coaches. Do you think Tobin is the one who ultimately made the decision to can Marvin? Do you think he had the most control in the signing of Taylor.

GM's generally lead and execute contract negotiations. Does Tobin do that? No he does not. Katie does.

The list goes on and on. Duke Tobin has nowhere close the role of an actual GM. Just because he's been given some additional duties doesn't make it so. 

Seriously, guys. Please stop with the nonsense that Tobin is essentially our GM. He's a yes man that worked his way into the family's circle. He has input, and he's in a unique situation, in a very unique structure. But Ozzie Newsome he is not. His role and responsibility is nowhere near. 

Also, to suggest that a legit GM would make it no difference on the field, and it is nothing more than a title, is one of the more ridiculous takes I've read on here.  All GM's, in every sport, greatly affect on the field performance. To say differently is like saying an architect has no influence on a building. It's beyond idiotic.

The point is that if you pressure the Bengals to name a GM they'll just give Tobin the title.

I do think Tobin was the one with the most control in choosing Taylor. He's on record as having led the search and that puts him in prime position to control the outcome. 

At the end of the day if you appoint a GM they are still answerable to the owner and the owner is hands on.
Any GM in Cincy is still going to have people looking over his shoulder, the Browns controlling the purse strings, having to work within the constraints ownership impose upon them. A fancy title doesn't change that.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 04:46 PM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: The point is that if you pressure the Bengals to name a GM they'll just give Tobin the title.

I do think Tobin was the one with the most control in choosing Taylor. He's on record as having led the search and that puts him in prime position to control the outcome. 

At the end of the day if you appoint a GM they are still answerable to the owner and the owner is hands on.
Any GM in Cincy is still going to have people looking over his shoulder, the Browns controlling the purse strings, having to work within the constraints ownership impose upon them. A fancy title doesn't change that.

Absolutely right! The Bengals need a gm/President with real power over football operations. It’s not happening with MB in the picture. I’m holding out hope that when the time comes Katie/Troy will bring in a real football man and let him run the show.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Many fans are too hard on them.  These fans are not satisfied with just saying the Browns are bad at making football decisions.  Instead they claim that the Browns don't care about winning, laugh at the fans, etc, etc.

It is the same victim mentality you find in other parts of society.  Too many people love to be victims.  So we can't just have a poor front office.  Instead we have to have an evil one.

I think you answered yourself here.

It's just not just the Bengals.

That mentality in society is a presence in many parts.

Once that reality of the world we live in is grasped...  don't take it personally(because it's reality like it or not)and do what's necessary to compete for a championship.

Instead Mike and his family like to "squeal" about people being too hard on them and their moves.

Lastly we all know a person who owns an NFL franchise isn't Joe Blow small business man.

Just like I'm not an NFL player. 

My job doesn't resemble anything that they do so I would never compare them to my parameters of an occupation.

Brown and his family need to own the criticism and even ridiculous levels that fans lambaste them.

That is their business.  That is their job.

It goes with the territory.  A territory of the 1 percenters.  A territory of where buyers are dying to be a part of the elite few who can own a team.

Yet here we are.  Mike Brown.  Inherited the team that his father built from the ground up.

The sadness is that this team hasn't had playoff success(and even then it was only one game)since Boomer, Brooks, Green, Woods, and Wyche was coach.

Let that shit sink in..............

Technically Mike Brown has never won a single playoff game his whole tenure of sole owner of the team.

Yep.  Fans are too hard on him.   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 08:16 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Once that reality of the world we live in is grasped...  don't take it personally(because it's reality like it or not)and do what's necessary to compete for a championship.

You are the one not grasping reality.

Having a GM does not win championships.  Over the last 15 years the Bengals have been much better than a lot of other teams, and all of those worse teams have GMs.

Let that sink in...…….

Calling the Browns evil or claiming they don't care about winning because they don't hire a GM is absurd.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 05:08 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: Absolutely right!  The Bengals need a gm/President with real power over football operations.  It’s not happening with MB in the picture. I’m holding out hope that when the time comes Katie/Troy will bring in a real football man and let him run the show.

Such a person would also need to be able to put together an NFL caliber scouting and coaching staff otherwise FAILURE will repeat itself.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 03:38 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: So if I'm posing talking point questions to Mike Brown at this point...

1.  The Ravens lead our division.  They've drafted a starting QB successfully and parted ways with a their franchise Super Bowl winning QB.  It was an obvious move that was tough, but had to be made.  Are you prepared to make the moves necessary at the appropriate time to improve?

2.  Injuries hinder many teams.  The Steelers lost their starting QB, their #1 WR and starting RB have barely played.  That being said.  They still have a winning record despite being affected and have overcome those setbacks.  Why can't your current team win more than one game?

3.  The Browns have had a less than stellar season as expected.  Mayfield's first full year has slumped.  Kitchens is also being scrutinized for his first year as HC and there has even been talk of letting him go.  That being said.  They still have managed to win at least half of their games yet both of them are feeling heat.  Your team has one win.  What is the expectation of fan/media scrutiny for Zac and Andy at this point?  Have you and management done your best to put both of them in a situation to succeed?

Need to be more blunt with the Tree Sloth:

1. Many people say you know a lot about football , if true, you obviously could see how shitty the OL and LB positions were but you did nothing , in fact worse than nothing , to fix it. You signed the same shitty players to bigger contracts. So do you know these position groups are league worst or not?
2. If you are a draft develop team why do you have the smallest scouting staff in the league and some of the worst coaches?
3. What is more important to you - making money or winning? Why do you think they are mutually exclusive?
4. What does it feel like to embarrass the good football name of your father?

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 09:39 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Need to be more blunt with the Tree Sloth:

1. Many people say you know a lot about football , if true, you obviously could see how shitty the OL and LB positions were but you did nothing , in fact worse than nothing , to fix it. You signed the same shitty players to bigger contracts. So do you know these position groups are league worst or not?
2. If you are a draft develop team why do you have the smallest scouting staff in the league and some of the worst coaches?
3. What is more important to you - making money or winning? Why do you think they are mutually exclusive?
4. What does it feel like to embarrass the good football name of your father?

5.  You do know the RAVENS are the team you should hate to lose to?  That was the ownership that screwed your Dad.  That and your Mom of course...  ya friggin' moron!
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 09:44 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: 5.  You do know the RAVENS are the team you should hate to lose to?  That was the ownership that screwed your Dad.  That and your Mom of course...  ya friggin' moron!

Good one! Stop hating the Browns and hate the Ravens. 

Way way back Mikey once said he wanted his team to be like the Steelers, remember that crap?  Yes, Mikey you run this team just like the Rooney's run the that team. What a ***** idiot he is, he should never open his mouth and speak.

Reply/Quote
Wes, what up man?

I'm also looking forward to it. I don't think it will be much different from prior years but it certainly should be. This will be the worst season in franchise history potentially....how can they come out and act as if major changes are not required?

The only thing that has me somewhat excited is the proposition of finally acquiring a legit QB that can lift this team on his back because at this point, that is the only thing that can save the franchise.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2019, 05:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The real question is what would any of you say if you were in Mikes position?

I predict Mike will say exactly what each and every one of you would say, i.e. "We had a bad year and we will try to be better next year."

Then you will all get your squeal on about how Mike said he was a super genius and all fans are stupid.

I would admit I didn't know what I was doing and hired a GM over 2 decades ago
Reply/Quote
You Sir, in the back, did you have a question?

https://i.imgur.com/gbmMWal.gif
Reply/Quote
Does anyone know if this is scheduled yet?

In years past I think it was usually a Monday presser but I haven't seen anything announced yet. I've checked pretty much everywhere and have yet to hear a peep about it.

Anyone know if this is happening?
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 03:38 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: So if I'm posing talking point questions to Mike Brown at this point...

Mike is smart enough not to tell our opponents we are changing QB's before opening day roster is announced. Why would he? Why would anyone?
Reply/Quote
Q: Mike, how many miles are on your Lumina?
A: I'll answer that if you make a big enough offer to buy my classic car.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: Q: Mike, how many miles are on your Lumina?
A: I'll answer that if you make a big enough offer to buy my classic car.. 

Ah, the Lumina jokes. There's an old saying "Rich people stay rich be living like they are poor, poor people stay poor by living like they're rich"
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Mike is smart enough not to tell our opponents we are changing QB's before opening day roster is announced. Why would he? Why would anyone?

True, but AD may spoil his party by saying trade me.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ah, the Lumina jokes. There's an old saying "Rich people stay rich be living like they are poor, poor people stay poor by living like they're rich"

True, but Mike and his family of incompetent nitwits are an exception. There’s tight-fisted billionaires, and then there’s Mike Brown. He’s the example of what happens when you give white trash ownership of an NFL team
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Ah, the Lumina jokes. There's an old saying "Rich people stay rich be living like they are poor, poor people stay poor by living like they're rich"

Hey now, who would stimulate the economy if everyone were as cheap as Mike Brown and I?
Reply/Quote
Its happening right now

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote