Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Like Our Chances Going Forward
I'm not doing cheers and praising how things have gone so far, but I'm also not as pessimistic as everyone else and I like our outlook going forward.

First off, it was Marvin's first time calling a game as a defensive coordinator in over 15 years, so he obviously was going to be some adjustment time, but let's hope that it's over. We also had injuries at backer.

I don't know if anyone knows this, but Hardy Nickerson wasn't hearing Marvin though the headset on the Ravens' opening drive, which resulted in a touchdown:
Quote:“Poor Hardy had it tough early on, no doubt. He’s standing there looking at me, and I’m pushing the wrong button,” Lewis said. “After the first drive, it kind of settled down a little bit. But there were a couple of times, even with the timeouts, he’s looking at me, and I’m wondering why he’s looking at me.”

That anecdote would undoubtedly be more humorous if the Ravens hadn't driven down 75 yards to score on that drive, or if the Bengals had won the game.

Considering that we lost by 3, I'd say that it's a pretty big deal.

Also, players now seem excited to play for Marvin and excited about the outlook, which maybe it's because none of them are old enough to remember when Marvin was a coordinator and just heard about the 2000 Ravens D like it was some sort of legend:

Quote:“Coach Lewis, he’s always out there on the field and you feel like he’s in the fight with you,” linebacker Vinny Rey said. “We feel like we’re fighting for Coach. Even though we’re professionals and we’re all grown men, you still go out there and you play for somebody. I do. I wanted to go out there and win this one for him. I wish we did. We came up short, but it’s a long season.”

That sounds like motivation like we haven't seen in a while, and maybe the team can find similar motivation going forward. They might be inspired to play for a legendary coordinator.

Quote:Several players spoke during halftime of the loss to the Ravens, apparently urging the team to come together, and although the statistics wouldn’t indicate it, Rey thought it helped them play better in the second half.

“We learned we have to fight together,” Rey said. “At halftime we had some guys come in here on defense and say some words. It really brought us together, just knowing you’re not out there playing for yourself. ... You’re playing for someone else. If you play for yourself, you’re not going to do that great. If you’re playing for others, you’re playing for something bigger than yourself, and you’re going to play harder than you ever think you could.”

I like that because guys are stepping up and taking leadership.

I think it's bringing a whole new energy to our defense, and so does Dunlap:

Quote:Dunlap said he sensed a change in Lewis this week that he hopes everyone can use moving forward.

“I think he did really good. It’s like naturally in his DNA to have those reins as a D-coordinator,” Dunlap said. “He seems motivated and inspired, and it sparked something in him. I liked the energy…

“We definitely played better today. We definitely have enough to build on. We’ve just go to go do it.”

Liking the energy is something we don't see coming from players in reference to Marvin, but let's hope that he gets into a rhythm and the defense starts to play like we know they can!

Another reason for hope is that AJ could be back as soon as this week. We should have won without him, and you could tell how much worse our offense is without him, so it speaks volumes that we should have won anyways.

The Ravens currently have the tiebreaker with us, but I see no reason why we can't make a push for the playoffs:

Vs Browns- win, especially if AJ is back. Marvin's first game at home as coordinator and I think our team just plays with fire in that game.

Vs Broncos- horrible coaching and I think we just unleash hell against them in Cincinnati. Hit them early and they're not coached well-enough to get back up.

@Chargers- L. We could get a W here, especially if our D forces some turnovers because I think they can be rattled, but I'll give us a loss just so I don't seem like a Homer.

Vs Raiders- W. The Raiders are dog shit. Coming from the West Coast and playing at 1 should allow us to eat them for lunch.

@Browns- we'll be rolling and ready to just bring the heat to the Dog Pound. We get the W.

@Steelers- We'd be at 9-6, so we'd need this game to even have a chance a the playoffs, which I'm hoping that AJ will be back to 100% and our defense will be playing inspired football under Marvin. I think we could pull out a win here, bringing us to 9-7.

Now, as for the Ravens, they'd need to lose two games if we were to lose one, which I think is possible:

Vs Raiders- W

@Falcons- The Falcons record isn't great, but they're not as bad as their record says and they've played a lot of teams tight. I think they can beat the Ravens, especially now that Julio Jones seems like he's coming alive after he slept through the first half of the season.

@Chiefs- loss because the Chiefs are too good.

Vs Bucs- W

@Chargers- L. I don't see them going to LA In Primetime and being able to play with the Chargers.

Vs Browns- win at home.

That puts them with at least two more losses but potentially 3. There's three other teams at 5-5, so I think we can only lose one game and still make it, but we could potentially lose two if things fall our way. The Dolphins do have the Pats, Colts, and Vikings left, so they could lose 2, and the other teams don't have super-easy schedules, with a few of the other 5-5 teams playing each other, so they could knock each other out.

I'm not betting my wheelchair on us making the playoffs, but I don't think it's as far-fetched as people are making it sound.

Who-Dey!
Reply/Quote
In the confidence universe you're way out there in happy happy joy joyville while I'm at the other end of the universe in Yeah, it ain't happeningville.. 
I hope I'm wrong, but with so many injuries piling up and more likely on the way I just can't bring myself to feel a sense of optimism. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It wouldn't matter if Marvin was riding Nickerson piggy back and yelling in his ear the whole time....he sucks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Its possible. But unless our offense improves drastically whats the point. Our coaches are stupid i dont trust them to get it together. Unless they pulled some miracles and luck on our side. Have hue jackson help lazor with making plays and who to use. If i was the coach ,id get ross in the game plan hes quick and fast. Run mixon might need to get a fullback or use a tight end as a blocker. Receivers should be green boyd ross tate erickson malone, core should be cut. And if we were smart wed use phillips or ross as a returner. Kickoffs and punts they are capable of returning for tds or huge returns.

Not to mention when we play pitt again we will have to play the refs again. I have a feeling we will be on the edge of playoffs and pitt eliminates us sadly.

What we really need to do is get with the new nfl and find a offensive guru like these good teams have its not about defense anymore in todays nfl. They want basketball scores for entertainment and fantasy football.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 05:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: It wouldn't matter if Marvin was riding Nickerson piggy back and yelling in his ear the whole time....he sucks.

Lol he does , why marvin trusts him out there is just another reason marvin has to go. 
Reply/Quote
This is just depressing... a little preparation would have prevented embarrassment.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 03:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: @Steelers- We'd be at 9-6, so we'd need this game to even have a chance a the playoffs, which I'm hoping that AJ will be back to 100% and our defense will be playing inspired football under Marvin.  I think we could pull out a win here, bringing us to 9-7.

A win in Pitt would be 10-6 of course but it may not be necessary.

The only team with a shot to have the tie break over the Bengals is oddly enough Miami.  Not a two way tie break, but if three or more are involved they could come out ahead.  The Dolphins are also the least likely 5-5 team to reach 9-7 IMO.  Tennessee, Indy, and Baltimore, none would have a tie break edge over the Bengals given the win/loss scenario you've played out.

The only reason Baltimore is ahead of Cincinnati now is division record.  If both teams win this week the Bengals pass up Baltimore.  If both teams win the games they should, losing the ones we suspect, division record would be 3-3.  Bengals would knock off Baltimore with a better win percentage in common games.  The Bengals would have the edge in AFC record, common games, or head to head versus everyone.

I think Tennessee is the most dangerous given each team's road ahead.  Again though, if both teams finish 9-7 there is no path for Tennessee to win that tie-break.  

One final caveat is that Pitt could have locked in their playoff spot by week 17.  Nothing to gain.  Also possible that their locked in spot doesn't give them a bye.  Could be they have a strong motivation to sit starters in week 17.
Reply/Quote
That should tell you how much of a joke Merv is. Dumbass can't even work a headset.... Besides, it was known Jackson was the QB a couple of days before the game, there was no preparations made to stop his running. Headset or not, the defense should have been ready. Merv jokes about it kind of tells me he might not take losing as serious as fans do....
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 12:36 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That should tell you how much of a joke Merv is. Dumbass can't even work a headset.... Besides, it was known Jackson was the QB a couple of days before the game, there was no preparations made to stop his running.  Headset or not, the defense should have been ready. Merv jokes about it kind of tells me he might not take losing as serious as fans do....

It is hard to predict anything seeing our injury report and IR lists seem to be in overdrive. But, if AJ is back this week and stays health the rest of t the year I see:

2 wins versus Browns
Raiders and Broncos wins

Our 10th win comes at Pittsburgh (if we have 9 wins and they have clinched and a great reason to sit star players).

So, lets hope the Steelers can not improve their seed position week 17 so they rest key players to get ready for the playoffs to avoid injury against a team that would love to leave them walking out of the stadium battered and bruised anyway.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Forward? This team is going backward so fast I detect a Doppler shift.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 05:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: It wouldn't matter if Marvin was riding Nickerson piggy back and yelling in his ear the whole time....he sucks.

LOL,

Marvin should ride on all of his players backs at practice for Strength & Conditioning drills plus to impart his wisdom with ear yells.

The Bengals players would have the strongest legs in the NFL after a few months of hauling around Marvin's hefty tummy.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
No matter what plays the DC calls...we have guys that are horrendous at Tackling. Guys like Nickerson and Evans. You can get pressure on the QB, but they can't cover so the receiver will be open.
Reply/Quote
The thing is the gameplan from Marv was bad which is why i don't like our chances.

As i said in the other threads there is no big mystery to stopping Lamar Jackson, you keep him in the pocket and
make him pass the damn ball. If he beats you through the air, so be it. Just don't let him beat you with his legs,
which in the end he did. The tackling was bad once again, i know it was Marv's first game and i didn't expect it
to magically turn around in one week but still, it was bad.

Also the Offense has also fell off a bit of a cliff in the running and passing game. I still like our weapons and think
they are good enough to get the job done if the Line improves but this Defense has to stop the other team at the
end of halves and games for me to like our chances.
Reply/Quote
Do you really think the bengals will win 5 of their next 6 games? We couldnt even beat a team with a rb playing qb.
Reply/Quote
A.J coming back will obviously help big time but this defense still has major issues, we couldn’t stop the high school offense that the Ravens ran. We have to play the Browns twice and they actually have a quarterback in Mayfield who can throw the ball. Gus Edwards had 116 yards , how do you think the defense will do tackling Nick Chubb ? Or are linebackers covering Duke Johnson out of the backfield. Even Denver won’t be as easy as people think. Von Miller and Bradley Chubb vs our Oline could be a problem. They can run the ball with Lindsey and Emanuel Sanders is dangerous. The Broncos also just beat the Chargers a team that would probably kill us when we play them.
Reply/Quote
I am trying to determine in my own mine if threads like this are ardent fans with the positive belief the Bengals are a good team and will make the playoffs or...

misguided fans with blinders preventing them to ascertain the dire straits this team has currently found itself. The injuries cannot be ignored. The lack of talent at certain positions cannot be overlooked.

I said this in another thread, the Bengals could lose BOTH games against the Browns this year. The Browns are a better team given the injuries on the Bengals.

I am not an enabler. I think this team is at crossroads of maybe a total rebuild mode.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I think it was purely a dream if people thought the defense would be magically fixed within a week of Marvin taking control of it. He's going to need more time than that. I am interested to see how far along the defense comes by the time the season ends. It does seem as if Marvin has new life now that he's going back to what he was best at, which seems like a good thing. I haven't seen that kind of passion from him in probably a decade.

Here's a question though...
If the defense does (greatly) improve with Marvin essentially being the DC, do we see Marvin move to DC officially and someone else (like Hue) take over as HC?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 03:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it was purely a dream if people thought the defense would be magically fixed within a week of Marvin taking control of it. He's going to need more time than that. I am interested to see how far along the defense comes by the time the season ends. It does seem as if Marvin has new life now that he's going back to what he was best at, which seems like a good thing. I haven't seen that kind of passion from him in probably a decade.

Here's a question though...
If the defense does (greatly) improve with Marvin essentially being the DC, do we see Marvin move to DC officially and someone else (like Hue) take over as HC?

I can't see this happening.  He would be the highest paid DC in the league.  I think he could keep both roles with Hue as an assistant head coach and it may work. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Going forward, I like our chances of continuing to not going forward.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Going forward, I like our chances that Jungle Noise will continue to be one of the whiniest forums on the internet.
Reply/Quote