Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I Would Like To See Bengals Run 50 % Of The Time
(11-03-2022, 03:18 AM)kevin Wrote: A good mix is to have as many running plays as pass plays.  It would cut down on the pass rush on Burrow and when Burrow does pass he will have more plays Down Field.  The Run sets up The Bomb.

Of course this will never happen because Zac Taylor likes to pass every play.  Of course no O Line can pass block every play and The O Line gets blamed for the Sacks and Joe Burrow gets blamed for the Sacks, but nobody blames Pass Happy Zac Taylor for the Sacks.

Meanwhile Mixon is wasted on a team where the head coach refuses to call running plays.  OK, they throw to Mixon, but again it is Burrow getting hit as Zac Taylor is into Pass on every play of the game.  

So my wish for around 50 % Runs and 50 % Pass will not happen, because Zac is more 10 % Run and 90 % Pass.  

I am not alone on now being a critic of Zac Taylor game plan and play calling.  On CBS the Sunday Game Day Staff were talking about The Bengals a week or two ago.  Esiason liked the Bengals and Cowher liked Bengals Defense but Phil Simms said he was not sold on the Bengals yet, because he thought the Bengals plays and play calling were not up to speed.

After the F Grade game Bengals turned out in Cleveland, I am now positive that the #1 Problem with The Bengals in 2022 is The Game Plans and The Play Calling and maybe even The Play Book.  So in 2022 Zac Taylor is the Problem.  Not the O Line.  Not Mixon. Not Burrow.  The Problem with the Offense is ZAC TAYLOR.  I agree now with Phil Simms on how predictable the Bengals Offensive Plays are.  If every single play is Shotgun Pass, that is way too predictable against Well Coached NFL Defenses.

So I finish this where I started.  I would like to see a lot more RUN plays.  When Zac came in, he had some nice Power Sweep plays of Pulling Guards that created Running Lanes for Mixon.  Then Zac drafted Burrow and Zac wants to go Touch Football Pass on every play.  It is NOT working at 4-4 and 0-3 in the AFC NORTH.   To WIN in the AFC NORTH, you HAVE to RUN THE BALL.   So I wish Bengals would get back to half of the plays being Running Plays to help set up the 50 % Pass Plays.  

i know it will not happen.  Zac Taylor will be Pass Happy against Panthers and every other game rest of season.  Zac refuses to call running plays.  The problem is passing every play may work in Madden Video Game or Touch Football or The Arena League, but it does not work n The NFL.  As the Bengals played Pass Happy Madden Video, The Browns beat the stuffing out of them with SMASH MOUTH NFL FOOTBALL.

If all Zac is going to do is call The Shotgun Pass every play, then they should have Traded Mixon.  Many teams would have gave up a pass catcher to get Mixon, and Mixon is being wasted by a head coach who Refuses to call running plays. Calling running plays only a few times a game is NOT calling running plays. For those Fans who LOVE the shotgun pass every single play, 4-4 and 0-3 in the AFC NORTH shows it is Not working.  DEFENSES are ALL over it.  If you do not mix in The Run with The Pass, The Defense will be all over your receivers and clobber your QB. So it is NOT the O Line or Burrow, it is indeed Zac Taylor calling shotgun pass just about every single play of the game that is the Problem in 2022.

Now in 2021, Zac knew Burrow was back from surgery with the leg brace, and Zac ran the ball more to try to keep Burrow healthy.  Bengals went to Super Bowl.  Now in 2022, Zac is back to his 2020 nonsense of passing on every play, and that doesn't win in the AFC NORTH. It's like Zac has this dream of a team that passes every play, but he must have picked that up in Arena Football, because that garbage doesn't work in the NFL. Good teams can Run and Pass in The NFL.  Every Dynasty Team ever had a good Mix of RUN and PASS.

Kevin is on to something....

If we run more, especially under center, we should definitely be able to raise the 1.05 ypc avg.
If we give Mixon more rushes he has a much better chance of making at least one defender miss during the game.
We should definitely trade Mixon for a WR - Kupp?  Jefferson?  Diggs?

I do agree that our game planning, scheme, play calls are amateur hour.  But taking the ball out of Burrow's hands to increase the number of plays that we suck at, is most likely not the answer...

Reply/Quote
We can try this, if we bring Spain back in a Fullback role.
Ninja
Reply/Quote
Two things needed to run the ball effectively:

1. an offensive line that can perform run-blocking as a cohesive unit
2. a RB who is either large and powerful enough to break the initial tackle (Corey Dillon, Brandon Jacobs) or a RB that is patient and elusive enough to wait for holes to open and has a push-button burst of acceleration when that hole does open (Emmitt Smith, Joe Morris)

Sorry, but Mixon ain't it. We are one-dimensional until we can get a pounding ground game and USE it (play-action) to open up the pass. Defenses will be salivating while Chase is out. We've been exposed as a pass-only effective team.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 11:17 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't feel like the volume of plays that they run on the ground versus pass through the air is as nearly important as being effective when they do run the ball.  Right now, defenses don't feel any threat of the Bengals rushing the ball, they just get ready to rush the passer.

This ^

They are not scared of a run game that features a RB who is missing holes, not breaking tackles, and hasn't broken a long run (let alone one for a TD) in a long long time.

They fear JB throwing to capable WRs(one of the best when Chase is playing).

Giving the ball more to Mixon(which is what it has been the majority)not only takes the ball out of Burrow's hands but burns the game clock.

That is exactly what an opposing D wants to do against our offense.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 03:04 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Kevin is on to something....

If we run more, especially under center, we should definitely be able to raise the 1.05 ypc avg.
If we give Mixon more rushes he has a much better chance of making at least one defender miss during the game.
We should definitely trade Mixon for a WR - Kupp?  Jefferson?  Diggs?

I do agree that our game planning, scheme, play calls are amateur hour.  But taking the ball out of Burrow's hands to increase the number of plays that we suck at, is most likely not the answer...

Oh, i've always believed Kevin was on something. 

My fav part is where it says "so i finish this" halfway through the post.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Even without chase we have great receivers and we have one of the best QBs in the league.

Our run game sucks and is one of the worst in the NFL.

But hey let's run 50% of the time.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 03:18 AM)kevin Wrote: So my wish for around 50 % Runs and 50 % Pass will not happen, because Zac is more 10 % Run and 90 % Pass.  

Then after you see the offense line's lack of blocking and schemes for the running game garner 2.8 yards a carry you will say give it to Burrow and let him throw the ball.

Everyone has been saying we need more of a running game. and that is absolutely true.....BUT..when you have a bafoon like Pollack in charge of the OL and running game and what he's been producing with it this year, we cant even run well against bad defensive lines. 
Reply/Quote
To win games I think we have to play to the other team's weaknesses and not our strengths, we are too 1 dimensional.
Reply/Quote
I wish Zac would just TRY Chris Evans/Perine for one game and just see what happens. Mixon has been terrible even when's he's had room to run.
I hate the pass happy offense when the OL can't block. It's just a matter of time this current strategy gets Burrow seriously injured. A good running game would give the OL some confidence too if they could attack and win some battles for once. With Chase out,. Our current strategy seems unsustainable.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 09:51 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: To win games I think we have to play to the other team's weaknesses and not our strengths, we are too 1 dimensional.

Very true, I don't know about 50/50 but even 65/35 would be better than whatever it is now which seems like 80 pass 20 run.
I don't know how many games I have watched that a RB started off slow but as he/they got more carries they got more effective.  Way too many of our offensive possessions are:

pass
pass
sack 
punt
Reply/Quote
The offense now isnt working with Mixon... the best Mixon can do now is become another receiver. That, he's very good, also he has a monster throwing arm, i think he won the longest throw in the team last season, yes, longer than Burrow. Maybe have a trick play with Mixon throwing one out... with Marvin, that would be impossible, Zac has shown he can take risks, this is the time and player to do it with.

What's the alternative at this point? 2 yrd run? minus yardage with side sweeps?

Take my advice Zac!!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 11:59 AM)M.W. Wrote: Very true, I don't know about 50/50 but even 65/35 would be better than whatever it is now which seems like 80 pass 20 run.
I don't know how many games I have watched that a RB started off slow but as he/they got more carries they got more effective.  Way too many of our offensive possessions are:

pass
pass
sack 
punt

We've been right around 65% pass and 35% run. 
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 06:20 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Two things needed to run the ball effectively:

1. an offensive line that can perform run-blocking as a cohesive unit
2. a RB who is either large and powerful enough to break the initial tackle (Corey Dillon, Brandon Jacobs) or a RB that is patient and elusive enough to wait for holes to open and has a push-button burst of acceleration when that hole does open (Emmitt Smith, Joe Morris)

Sorry, but Mixon ain't it. We are one-dimensional until we can get a pounding ground game and USE it (play-action) to open up the pass. Defenses will be salivating while Chase is out. We've been exposed as a pass-only effective team.

This didn't age well.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 06:22 PM)EatonFan Wrote: This didn't age well.

To be fair, Mixon ranked 31st or 32nd in every RB ranking and had made a total of one guy miss a tackle coming into this game.  Hopefully he continues to play like he did today.

Reply/Quote
Uff. I mocked this but daaaaamnnn. Mixon was on fire today.

I hope this is a sign things are back on track and not a one off.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 07:02 PM)casear2727 Wrote: To be fair, Mixon ranked 31st or 32nd in every RB ranking and had made a total of one guy miss a tackle coming into this game.  Hopefully he continues to play like he did today.

Yep.

Way too early to be eatin' crow.

Gotta keep it up and don't go back.

He played like crap and everyone knew it.

Even his own coaches.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2022, 06:22 PM)EatonFan Wrote: This didn't age well.

One good game against a bad team and he is a god to you.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2022, 11:16 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Oh, i've always believed Kevin was on something. 

My fav part is where it says "so i finish this" halfway through the post.

"The Blockers"
Reply/Quote
If Mixon would have done this against the Browns we probably could have traded him for a 1st.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 11:05 AM)Housh Wrote: A team with Tee, Chase and Boyd should not want to run 50% if the time

It’s ok to have poor balance if you are ballin
Well that has not been as effective maybe because of lack of balance 
Reply/Quote