Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am absolutely HYPED over Andre Iosivas
I believe Iosivas has potential but he has dropped contested passes all year long. What Iosivas has shown this year is if you get physical with him during and after the catch, he has trouble making the catch. I pointed this out all the way back in the preseason games when he was getting hype from some of our fans. This issue has continued throughout the season. This will be something he needs to work on if he wants to take the next step as a WR.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 10:52 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I see what you're doing OP, but if TEE leaves, he won't fill the void. Glad he got most of his TDs in the "pre-season" game with the Browns last week, helped him get in that stat. He looked average to me during the season.

Perhaps not completely, or at least initially.  However, it seems like you don't even want to acknowledge that players can and do develop.  The way I see it, if he and Burrow make a solid connection in a full training camp, his future could be very bright.  

Tee Higgins is a very talented player, one who will sorely be missed if he and the team cannot come to terms.  However, that does not mean that our franchise QB is incapable of developing an athletic young player like Iosivas into the next household name.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
He’s taken some nice steps and needs to keep working but seems a promising type. For a late rounder he’s got some nice upside. I like this young bloke.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 05:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps not completely, or at least initially.  However, it seems like you don't even want to acknowledge that players can and do develop.  The way I see it, if he and Burrow make a solid connection in a full training camp, his future could be very bright.  

Tee Higgins is a very talented player, one who will sorely be missed if he and the team cannot come to terms.  However, that does not mean that our franchise QB is incapable of developing an athletic young player like Iosivas into the next household name.

if he was replacing Boyd, which is the right time to do so.. sure.... but a high draft and proven winner like Tee. Nope.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 03:50 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If Tee Higgins leaves it will be up to Andrei Iosivas, Charlie Jones, and Trenton Irwin to become great receivers.

True, but definitely see a WR investment if Tee leaves, either via the draft or FA. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 07:46 AM)Go Cards Wrote: True, but definitely see a WR investment if Tee leaves, either via the draft or FA. 

Yes it's really hard to say at this point what either Iosivas or Jones will be? Both have shown promise but it's just to early. 

If we do lose Tee I'd say that will move WR well up on the to get list.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 03:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: He's gotta work on holding onto the ball through contact, but there's a lot to be optimistic about with him. Could wind being a later round steal.

Spot on as usual Wyche. Love the guy if he can work on what you say here. His size and athleticism cannot be taught and he does have a 
great attitude as Weezy shows here.
Reply/Quote
It would be huge for the Bengals and Iosivas if he could prove that he could be a starting WR by end of next year.
That would allow them to save a draft pick and let them either just tag Higgins or sign just a budget stopgap WR2 until Iosivas is ready to take over in 2025 if not sooner.

I liked what I saw from him in 2023, but I really hope he contributes far more in 2024.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 07:46 AM)Go Cards Wrote: True, but definitely see a WR investment if Tee leaves, either via the draft or FA. 

Yup, can't rely on a 2nd year 6th round pick with 116 career yards and a 2nd year 4th round pick with 64 career yards to fill in for Higgins and Boyd with no real alternative.

It's a pretty good mid-market WR FA class. Gabe David, Darnell Mooney, Kendrick Bourne, Marquise Brown, Curtis Samuel. Signing one for 1-2 years at  $9-12m/yr would go a long way to make sure the WR room isn't just Chase and a bunch of nobodies and ruining 2024 when teams just triple Chase.

We've had waaaaay too many instances in the past of getting hyped up over young low production Bengals WRs who are going to be the next big thing, to not have learned a single thing. Need to plan accordingly. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I won't hate on the guy, but I need to see more than 116 yards on 25 targets before I start pumping a guy up.

For now, he's probably just another depth WR getting too much hype. We seem to have one every year.

Trenton Irwin
Alex Erickson
Cody Core
Auden Tate
Dane Sanzenbacher
Armon Binns
Ryan Whalen
Etc etc

Irwin just had the same amount of targets, catches and TD's as Yoshi last year, and had more yards to boot. What did Irwin do this year?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Irwin was our #3/#4 and he had a solid year. Irwin has progressed every year he's been with us and has improved his game in every facet, not to mention that he can fill in at multiple spots and isn't pigeon-holed as a slot/outside/etc.

Not sure the comparison is apt at all.

Furthermore, Iosivas is a rookie and is not the same as all of those guys:

- He was not a PS hero and disappeared in the Regular Season
- He's a better athlete than any of those listed
- He's seemingly more intelligent than any of those listed

He's a better player than any of those listed, on-paper: he just needs to progress and put results on the board.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He had a good rookie campaign, way better than expected. Hopefully he continues to learn and practice his route running. I will be cautiously optimistic about him though because as basically what Shake posted above. There is a reason he was drafted in the 6th round, so for him to be a top 3 receiver on the team taking over Boyd's role, he will need to practice and train his rear off this offseason. If I was him, get in contact with Chad, as he became the player he was because of his practice habits in the offseason.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2024, 09:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I won't hate on the guy, but I need to see more than 116 yards on 25 targets before I start pumping a guy up.

For now, he's probably just another depth WR getting too much hype. We seem to have one every year.

Trenton Irwin
Alex Erickson
Cody Core
Auden Tate
Dane Sanzenbacher
Armon Binns
Ryan Whalen
Etc etc

Irwin just had the same amount of targets, catches and TD's as Yoshi last year, and had more yards to boot. What did Irwin do this year?

Everyone got duped by these benchwarmers lol

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 12:29 PM)Millhouse Wrote: He had a good rookie campaign, way better than expected. Hopefully he continues to learn and practice his route running. I will be cautiously optimistic about him though because as basically what Shake posted above. There is a reason he was drafted in the 6th round, so for him to be a top 3 receiver on the team taking over Boyd's role, he will need to practice and train his rear off this offseason. If I was him, get in contact with Chad, as he became the player he was because of his practice habits in the offseason.

I think that is more to do with where he went to school and less to do with his ability. I mean, he was barely recruited out of HS and he becomes a great WR at Princeton, getting 16 TDs in 29 games, which is a rate of 55%: that's the same that Boyd did in college as well (yes, he was in the ACC, I know).

If he can even be 2/3 of the receive Boyd was, that is a solid 4-500 yards a year and a handful of TDs.

FTR, I don't think he will take over Boyd's spot next year: if they don't draft someone or Boyd doesn't come back on a cheap deal (don't think he will), I think Irwin will be the new Boyd, if he's under contract.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 11:04 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Irwin was our #3/#4 and he had a solid year. Irwin has progressed every year he's been with us and has improved his game in every facet, not to mention that he can fill in at multiple spots and isn't pigeon-holed as a slot/outside/etc.

He's a better player than any of those listed, on-paper: he just needs to progress and put results on the board.

Nice post Truck. I do agree that Iosivas is different than a lot of the WR's we have hyped up over the years like Auden Tate and such.

He was drafted and the main reason as you say in your next post he wasn't drafted earlier was his school more than his talent.

He is very intelligent which is huge to go along with his measurables.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 11:04 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Irwin was our #3/#4 and he had a solid year. Irwin has progressed every year he's been with us and has improved his game in every facet, not to mention that he can fill in at multiple spots and isn't pigeon-holed as a slot/outside/etc.

I think the difference here is that you get hyped over guys that may produce 300 to 500 yards and be a role player while I do not.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Some people are really into thinking about smaller role players and their stories.

I get hyped for more traditional reasons. Like if Yoshi went from being an afterthought to a guy with 1000 yard potential. Or if he showed some game changing ability.

He hasn't, so I don't get hyped for him. If you do, because you think he has Irwin type of potential, awesome.

Irwin had what? 316 yards this year? That doesn't excite me, personally, although I'm happy he has turned into decent depth. We have struggled with that sometimes.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 04:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think the difference here is that you get hyped over guys that may produce 300 to 500 yards and be a role player while I do not.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Some people are really into thinking about smaller role players and their stories.

I get hyped for more traditional reasons. Like if Yoshi went from being an afterthought to a guy with 1000 yard potential. Or if he showed some game changing ability.

He hasn't, so I don't get hyped for him. If you do, because you think he has Irwin type of potential, awesome.

Irwin had what? 316 yards this year? That doesn't excite me, personally, although I'm happy he has turned into decent depth. We have struggled with that sometimes.

Yeah, I want a guy like Rome Odunze to get hyped over. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 04:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I want a guy like Rome Odunze to get hyped over. Mellow

That'd be fantastic. That said, what are the TE's looking like in the draft this year? I kinda wanna go in a different direction and have a dominant TE paired with Chase and maybe a mid-tier veteran WR.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 04:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That'd be fantastic. That said, what are the TE's looking like in the draft this year? I kinda wanna go in a different direction and have a dominant TE paired with Chase and maybe a mid-tier veteran WR.

Brock Bowers is the only TE I would be hyped for in this class honestly and we might have to trade up for him in the 1st.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2024, 04:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Brock Bowers is the only TE I would be hyped for in this class honestly and we might have to trade up for him in the 1st.

Ugh. I'll have to look at the FA class for TE's, then. I really don't keep up with everything like I used to.

Maybe we could get a TE in FA and draft a WR. Man, I really hope TE is addressed this offseason.
Reply/Quote