Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am actually kind of excited for next season
AMEN!!!
Reply/Quote
I wonder if the Bengals Packers game will be in primetime?
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:37 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I wonder if the Bengals Packers game will be in primetime?

Sure have been fun games to watch when these two teams meet.

But i bet after our poor season last year it won't be.

What week do we play? Maybe if we both have a good record by then it might.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure have been fun games to watch when these two teams meet.

But i bet after our poor season last year it won't be.

What week do we play? Maybe if we both have a good record by then it might.

The official schedule hasn't come out yet. Every team knows who their 2017 opponents are but we don't know when they are playing yet. It's in Green Bay but that is all we know.
Reply/Quote
Last year was OG's first real season after some serious injuries so I don't expect him to remain the vulnerability he was and if he does remain like last years swinging door we'll know soon enough although the first game or two may be kind of rough. Defensive ends are going to go right after him much more so than they would at Witt so that has to be taken into consideration. The same can be said for Fisher as well. They're always going to attack your weakest point as it should be. 
The Smith experiment at guard may or may not work out, but should help in the running game.. The fact that they kept TJ might signal the end of Bodine, but time will tell..
If they draft OJ Howard that would mean that he and Eifert would be match up nightmares for opposing defenses. I'm not opposed to it although it's probably unlikely, just one of those Hobson numbers to get other terms to bite  but who knows..
I think the D is going to be rock solid or at least I hope so. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To me it boils down to the draft. They need to pull off a good one. Easier said than done lately.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:43 PM)packerbacker Wrote: The official schedule hasn't come out yet. Every team knows who their 2017 opponents are but we don't know when they are playing yet. It's in Green Bay but that is all we know.

Thought so, would of seen it on here if we knew already.

Last time we played it was in our house so you guys will have some revenge on your minds on your homefield.
Reply/Quote
I am not willing to accept a rebuild (no playoffs), just too old and time running out for me to see a winner. We always look at 2 WR sets with the idea of throwing the ball. I think this year's 2 TE sets need to feature an awesome blocking TE to help out one of our tackles. This would be a block first so not a  high salary, but may be a vital link to keep OL from being trashed in pass protection. I love Eifert as a receiver, but he is not good blocking.

I also think we need to field a dominant defense that not only stops the other team, but turns them over into 6 points quickly. If so, we may all be surprised as I do have a confidence in a a healthy AD and AJ Green to produce. Also, this may not be the year to trade our very good backup QB, he may be needed to win some games.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
What would it feel like to know the whole season rides on your shoulders?

The good news is CedO is putting in the work:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/NFL-meeting-notes-no-leap-year-good-news-on-Ced-a-vote-for-Barnett/0662f5dc-59e9-4f83-bee5-f19d1654e293

Here's hoping it pays off.

I can't get excited about the season until i see him in action.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The fans not expecting a playoff season and lowering expectations from the past 5 seasons is exactly why this coaching staff stays in place. Everyone except the fans has been fine with mediocre, and not the fans are settling for it. With this mind-set, we're in for a lifetime of disappointment.

This is the NFL. It's a win now league. You can go from worst to Super Bowl with a great draft class or two. It's not like other leagues where a rebuild requires superstars and 5-6 years of rebuilding.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 03:33 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: The fans not expecting a playoff season and lowering expectations from the past 5 seasons is exactly why this coaching staff stays in place.  Everyone except the fans has been fine with mediocre, and not the fans are settling for it.  With this mind-set, we're in for a lifetime of disappointment.

This is the NFL.  It's a win now league.  You can go from worst to Super Bowl with a great draft class or two.  It's not like other leagues where a rebuild requires superstars and 5-6 years of rebuilding.

So, it's the fans' fault?  That doesn't piss me off when people say that at all.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 10:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: I know a lot of people think the Bengals are in the crapper next season due to FA losses, but I am kind of excited now to see how all the new blood plays out. I realize it will likely not be a playoff season, but I actually think the Bengals will be better than this past season next year. My reasons for enthusiasm:

1. I think we have a lot of good young talent that we have not seen (or seen much of) yet. Guys like WJIII, Billings, Cody Core (who should get more looks now that James Wright is gone), a season of experience under Boyd's belt, etc.

2. I think our young OTs will step up. Fisher had done a decent job when in, and I think Ogbuehi will be a much different player in year two. He has basically been injured the whole time until being thrown in this season. I think with finally a full off season where he is not rehabbing, and getting full OTAs, mini camp and training camp, he will be much better. Lapham and the coaches have all steadfastly stood by him despite his struggles and maintained that they see something in him. I trust Lapham the most to make that assessment. I also remember Whit worth struggled mightily his first season at OT. He even had a game where he simply could not block Dwight Freeney....but Whitworth came around, didn't he?

3. The players we can get in the draft. With a high draft position, and 11 picks, the Bengals can really get some quality players, and be much younger and faster in many positions.

4. We have a solid core still in place, so it won't be a rebuild, its more like a retooling by changing out some of the older parts. Bottom line is the old combination of parts was just not quite good enough, so let's buy some shiney new parts and see how she runs.

I think it will be a fun and exciting time, yes we may have to step back for a season or two, but after that, there could be some real rewards. Now if they could just release Adam Jones.

These are the posts Mike Brown loves to see.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 03:39 PM)McC Wrote: So, it's the fans' fault?  That doesn't piss me off when people say that at all.

I never said that.  I said the fans shouldn't lower their expectations because the front office is inept.

There are probably 8-10 NFL franchises who have been competitive every year for a decade.  The Bengals have been built on being solid in the Marvin Lewis era, which is now 15 years in.  Reducing expectations isn't something the fans should do.  Especially if the fans are going to turn around and blame the coaching for being bad.
Reply/Quote
We'll be younger and have more potential. It remains to be seen if it will translate to more wins...but I'd rather have young guys playing with a lot of upside...than older veterans on the decline.
Reply/Quote
Cmon man you gonna let them get you AGAIN?

They've done literally nothing to deserve this amount of slack
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 04:18 PM)Housh Wrote: Cmon man you gonna let them get you AGAIN?

It's just better to be a mediocre team with young starters than a mediocre team with old starters. That's the gist of my thoughts.

I do think the offensive line will be a fatal flaw.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 04:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's just better to be a mediocre team with young starters than a mediocre team with old starters. That's the gist of my thoughts.

I do think the offensive line will be a fatal flaw.

Id be a hell of a lot happier to see new faces if I knew we had capable vets to back them up in those same positions.

Last time I saw a young new team was the 2011 Cleveland Cavaliers. Needless to say I want NO PARTS in a team that is TOO young. We are too young in the CB position if we cut Adam, we are too young on the o line, and we are possibly too young depth wise in all positions. I like seeing rookies have great years as much as the next guy but what I love more is a veteran team I know can win that has young players sprinkled in with very specific roles.
Reply/Quote
That 2015 Bengals team was good so was 2013 and 2005. Any of those teams could have been in the Superbowl.
Reply/Quote
If you guys really think that the coaching staff is ok with being "mediocre" as you call it, I've got some land to sell you.

No coach in the NFL is happy until they win the big one.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 04:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We'll be younger and have more potential. It remains to be seen if it will translate to more wins...but I'd rather have young guys playing with a lot of upside...than older veterans on the decline.
Please text Marvy. He needs to know this too.
Reply/Quote