Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am actually kind of excited for next season
I'm excited for the season (heck, I'm excited for OTAs and training camp), but have that queasy feeling in mah belly that we're going to get punked again. I'm okay with losses and expect them, but I'm not okay if Zampese doesn't use his players right AGAIN this season. We'll see.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:34 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Would you guys ever take McCarthy as your head coach? Packer fans seem to be sick of him.

You can't blame McCarthy. AR can't do it all on his own, and you've had more injuries than we've had to our WR corps. You've been rebuilding your defense from the time Reggie White was there, and not doing a bad job, but you guys follow the same model of developing "our own" that Cincy does.  The Packers' woes don't start with McCarthy IMHO. They start with personnel and injuries. Losing Lacy ought to help you. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
If we can get a great draft in as well, imagine how deadly our team could be?
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 10:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: I know a lot of people think the Bengals are in the crapper next season due to FA losses, but I am kind of excited now to see how all the new blood plays out. I realize it will likely not be a playoff season, but I actually think the Bengals will be better than this past season next year. My reasons for enthusiasm:

1. I think we have a lot of good young talent that we have not seen (or seen much of) yet. Guys like WJIII, Billings, Cody Core (who should get more looks now that James Wright is gone), a season of experience under Boyd's belt, etc.

2. I think our young OTs will step up. Fisher had done a decent job when in, and I think Ogbuehi will be a much different player in year two. He has basically been injured the whole time until being thrown in this season. I think with finally a full off season where he is not rehabbing, and getting full OTAs, mini camp and training camp, he will be much better. Lapham and the coaches have all steadfastly stood by him despite his struggles and maintained that they see something in him. I trust Lapham the most to make that assessment. I also remember Whit worth struggled mightily his first season at OT. He even had a game where he simply could not block Dwight Freeney....but Whitworth came around, didn't he?

3. The players we can get in the draft. With a high draft position, and 11 picks, the Bengals can really get some quality players, and be much younger and faster in many positions.

4. We have a solid core still in place, so it won't be a rebuild, its more like a retooling by changing out some of the older parts. Bottom line is the old combination of parts was just not quite good enough, so let's buy some shiney new parts and see how she runs.

I think it will be a fun and exciting time, yes we may have to step back for a season or two, but after that, there could be some real rewards. Now if they could just release Adam Jones.
i agree w/ Hammerstripes...in general, this season hinges on our 2 new OT's.....if they can't get the job done, A.D. could go on the IR list......& that would probably mean no better than 8-8, at best....
   I use to be on the Cinci Enquirer bengals message boards several yrs ago & was so optimistic I was sometimes asked if I was Mike Brown....but I have never been a doom & gloom guy when it comes to this team...
  Re Adam Jones....when we signed him yrs ago i was shocked & not happy....but he's really helped this team out...if he can still play to a high level ....keep him....he's been here several yrs...we've made the playoffs 5 of the past 6 yrs....I don't see him as a cancer...1-2 yrs he's gone anyway....to me it's a non issue...

I was dismayed at how all we could avg last yr on "O" was 20 pts per gm....but, I know, the injuries....but it's one reason why if we draft O.J. Howard I think he'd help put more points on the board...I love Eifert but he's hurt so much...W/ Eifert a FA next yr he could be released in 2018, then we'd have Howard already in place....we HAVE TO score more than 20 per gm....& Howard would probably help BIG in the red zone as last yr we did fine 20-to 20 but red zone tuned into a FG  too many times....3 pts not 7....
  i'd also like to see Cody Core get more playing time....he may be the fastest player on this team..?  We have to score more points...

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure have been fun games to watch when these two teams meet.

But i bet after our poor season last year it won't be.

What week do we play? Maybe if we both have a good record by then it might.

the NFL has released who we play only....not the schedule per se....
Reply/Quote
I'm not gonna be sucked into this again. I'll wait and see
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 07:39 PM)Shady Wrote: You can't blame McCarthy. AR can't do it all on his own, and you've had more injuries than we've had to our WR corps. You've been rebuilding your defense from the time Reggie White was there, and not doing a bad job, but you guys follow the same model of developing "our own" that Cincy does.  The Packers' woes don't start with McCarthy IMHO. They start with personnel and injuries. Losing Lacy ought to help you. 

We have Ty Montgomery as our running back now. We also resigned Christine Michael and now rumors we might go after Adrian Petersen. Any big FA moves in Cincy so far? My Packers never do anything in FA except the last big signing was when we signed your former running back Cedric Benson.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 09:10 PM)packerbacker Wrote: We have Ty Montgomery as our running back now. We also resigned Christine Michael and now rumors we might go after Adrian Petersen. Any big FA moves in Cincy so far? My Packers never do anything in FA except the last big signing was when we signed your former running back Cedric Benson.

Your Packers signed Bennett...pretty sure he qualifies as a big signing
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 05:03 PM)packerbacker Wrote: That 2015 Bengals team was good so was 2013 and 2005. Any of those teams could have been in the Superbowl.

I think 2009 was Cincinnati's best chance at the Super Bowl in the Marvin Lewis era.
Reply/Quote
You guys sign anyone big yet or anyone in mind?
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 10:06 PM)packerbacker Wrote: You guys sign anyone big yet or anyone in mind?

Andre Smith is pretty big...
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 10:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Andre Smith is pretty big...

That is big! I hope you guys kick the Steelers butt next season. They have to be on their way down soon.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 10:33 PM)packerbacker Wrote: That is big! I hope you guys kick the Steelers butt next season. They have to be on their way down soon.

We say that every year and then....

Big Ben plays another year

They somehow find amazing players in drafts

They find a crazy FA or some undrafted kid who ends up being a starter

They somehow manage to win the division even with an inferior roster because Marvin Lewis is a ***** who couldn't outcoach Tomlin if his life depended on it

smh
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 10:41 PM)Housh Wrote: We say that every year and then....

Big Ben plays another year

They somehow find amazing players in drafts

They find a crazy FA or some undrafted kid who ends up being a starter

They somehow manage to win the division even with an inferior roster because Marvin Lewis is a ***** who couldn't outcoach Tomlin if his life depended on it

smh

We play them next season in Pittsburgh. That will be a very tough game that I don't think we will win.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 12:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the defense play, and how those new pieces fit into the puzzle.  Also intrigued to see how the draft goes.  The offense?  Not so much.

If they get a vertical threat like Ross after trading back in Rd 1, and then get a guy like Robinson to be our LT (I think he would easily beat out Ced, but if he doesn't, he'd be an All-Pro RG).  Draft a RB a little later that is an all-purpose guy, unlike Hill and watch this offense roll.

With a healthy Eifert and AJ Green on the field, Boyd in his second year, and a vertical threat like Ross to draw coverage away from the TEs, RBs, and slot WRs, this offense would be very, very strong.  It isn't like we have to hope certain guys can be drafted and pan out....much of the talent is already on the roster.  A player like Ross would be a major addition and would help every position on the offense.  

Dalton had a damn good year despite horrible offensive line play, a worthless RB, and many of his weapons lost to injury.  If he can have most of his weapons (plus Ross) for the entire season, he could easily top 5000 yards and 30 TDs.

That vertical threat and a beast like Robinson at LT is all this offense needs right now.  
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:27 PM)packerbacker Wrote: The look on his face is priceless haha! Didn't they call him the Burger King guy. That game too was a long time ago, I bet over 10 years ago. Anyone know what happened to this guy?

I know he got his jaw broken when he was tackled.  He didn't see the security guy coming...was one of the best hits of the day. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 09:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I think 2009 was Cincinnati's best chance at the Super Bowl in the Marvin Lewis era.

2015 - AD gets hurt

2005 - Palmer gets hurt on 1st play against the Steelers. That was the team IMHO
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 11:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: 2015 - AD gets hurt

2005 - Palmer gets hurt on 1st play against the Steelers. That was the team IMHO

My big issue with the 2005 team was the defense. Other than Deltha O'Neal and Tory James making more picks than a kid with a snotty nose, it was susceptible to big plays.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 11:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: My big issue with the 2005 team was the defense.  Other than Deltha O'Neal and Tory James making more picks than a kid with a snotty nose, it was susceptible to big plays.

Agreed.  The 2015 team was the most balanced. 
Reply/Quote
I don't think we'll make the playoffs in 2017 and i'm disgusted that Marvin and Pacman are still on the team but with that being said i'm actually interested to see what we can do on defense. I like that we got rid of the dead weight on D by letting guys like Peko, Maualuga and Hunt go. If we draft an impact DE at 9 it can change our D. We could have Dunlap, Atkins, Billings, Johnson on running downs and Dunlap, Atkins, Hardison/ Gillberry? #9 pick on passing downs. I like the Minter signing at LB, We finally realized that we need to get younger more athletic at linebacker no more ageing vets with no gas left in the tank like AJ Hawk and Dansby. We have a stud impact guy in Burfict at lb playing a whole season paired with either Minter or Virgil in the nickle , that should make our coverage better. We have 3 first round picks at CB, plus a young up incomer in Josh Shaw. Hopefully Williams will be better at Safety in year 2. Plus we had a new coach at every position group on defense they should be better in year 2 as well.
Reply/Quote