Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am actually kind of excited for next season
Thinking about lowered expectations..Jimmy Soul offered up sage advice..
https://youtu.be/z4TOR7856d4
If you want to be happy for the rest of your life Never make a pretty woman your wife..and become a Bengals fan.. He scratched the last line. It just didn't rhyme for the masses.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 11:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know he got his jaw broken when he was tackled.  He didn't see the security guy coming...was one of the best hits of the day. 

That's funny lol. I wonder how long he was in jail for? Bengal Packer games have been exciting over the years lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 10:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: I know a lot of people think the Bengals are in the crapper next season due to FA losses, but I am kind of excited now to see how all the new blood plays out. I realize it will likely not be a playoff season, but I actually think the Bengals will be better than this past season next year. My reasons for enthusiasm:

1. I think we have a lot of good young talent that we have not seen (or seen much of) yet. Guys like WJIII, Billings, Cody Core (who should get more looks now that James Wright is gone), a season of experience under Boyd's belt, etc.

2. I think our young OTs will step up. Fisher had done a decent job when in, and I think Ogbuehi will be a much different player in year two. He has basically been injured the whole time until being thrown in this season. I think with finally a full off season where he is not rehabbing, and getting full OTAs, mini camp and training camp, he will be much better. Lapham and the coaches have all steadfastly stood by him despite his struggles and maintained that they see something in him. I trust Lapham the most to make that assessment. I also remember Whit worth struggled mightily his first season at OT. He even had a game where he simply could not block Dwight Freeney....but Whitworth came around, didn't he?

3. The players we can get in the draft. With a high draft position, and 11 picks, the Bengals can really get some quality players, and be much younger and faster in many positions.

4. We have a solid core still in place, so it won't be a rebuild, its more like a retooling by changing out some of the older parts. Bottom line is the old combination of parts was just not quite good enough, so let's buy some shiney new parts and see how she runs.

I think it will be a fun and exciting time, yes we may have to step back for a season or two, but after that, there could be some real rewards. Now if they could just release Adam Jones.

Awesome to hear somebody has excitement for next year. Did in 2011 but do not as much this year. 

Yet in 2011 thought it was addition by subtraction, thought Chad and TO were selfish and Carson just flat out hated living in Ohio. Plus jumped for joy when Brat was released and Gruden was added. Then Dalton and AJ came on board and I was stoked. Was sure AJ was the real deal and believed Grudens brother Jon made the Dalton pick for us indirectly.  So felt he would work out. 

That team lost some great statistical leaders, yet felt they never bought in. This team lost many good coaches the last few years and solid players to boot who I felt all bought in. 

But if O-line can improve somehow and a pass rusher is drafted that could change this year for sure. Hope to feel better after draft. Going to attend draft party for the first time ever this year as well to try and raise spirits. 

Even if not do believe it will much better the following year if a mass exodus does not start. 

Glad to hear your optimism without scolding others while giving it. 

Hope you are right and I  and many others are wrong. Thanks needed a rational optimist. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The Reds have kind of demonstrated why I am not down on this upcoming season like some around here. Look what a team with a few key veterans and a lot of hungry young guys has done so far. The Bengals still have key vets at the skill positions, now let's see what some new blood can bring.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 03:05 PM)Beaker Wrote: The Reds have kind of demonstrated why I am not down on this upcoming season like some around here. Look what a team with a few key veterans and a lot of hungry young guys has done so far. The Bengals still have key vets at the skill positions, now let's see what some new blood can bring.

its a LONG season. Last year started almost exact same way (5-3 in first 8)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2017, 01:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am less concerned about Cedric than most as long as Fisher is serviceable. We can always keep a back in to help him out or line a TE up next to him to at least hide his flaws some. The Bengals were one of the lowest in the league last year in terms of keeping an extra blocker in on passing plays. We ran a lot of five man route patterns with our HB leaving early and our TE not necessarily lining up in line. We will just need to adjust based on the personnel we have, in this case possibly a bad LT.

We can do stuff to make the line work, if the defense continues to gel I think we will be okay.
Do the coaches understand how to compensate for a weak tackle. They didn't last season. Sick
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Awesome to hear somebody has excitement for next year. Did in 2011 but do not as much this year. 

Yet in 2011 thought it was addition by subtraction, thought Chad and TO were selfish and Carson just flat out hated living in Ohio. Plus jumped for joy when Brat was released and Gruden was added. Then Dalton and AJ came on board and I was stoked. Was sure AJ was the real deal and believed Grudens brother Jon made the Dalton pick for us indirectly.  So felt he would work out. 

That team lost some great statistical leaders, yet felt they never bought in. This team lost many good coaches the last few years and solid players to boot who I felt all bought in. 

But if O-line can improve somehow and a pass rusher is drafted that could change this year for sure. Hope to feel better after draft. Going to attend draft party for the first time ever this year as well to try and raise spirits. 

Even if not do believe it will much better the following year if a mass exodus does not start. 

Hope you are right and I  and many others are wrong. Thanks needed a rational optimist. 

This year pretty much hinges on Ogbuehi and he is putting in the work according to Jay Glazer.

We have weapons on the Offensive side and we will probably draft another one or two in a TE and a RB.

Bodine is in his last year, we should draft a Center for the future.

The Defense adding an End opposite Dunlap should be very hard to pass the ball on in this pass happy league.

Adding Minter, cutting Maualuga, letting Peko go and having Billings start next to Atkins is extremely exciting to me particularly. Rock On
Reply/Quote
You say you're excited about the season and go on to say we likely won't make the playoffs. Not busting your balls or anything, but I just struggle to get very excited unless I think we have a real contender. Like Wyche, I'm excited about the draft and I think the defense will be fine.

It's the offense that has serious question marks (being kind there). I can't get excited about Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher as bookend tackles. Hill/Gio does nothing for me at this point. Eifert is great but is constantly hurt. AJ Green has had his fair share of injuries now. The offense looks like Andy Dalton, glue and duct tape.

Our FA period was predictably boring and we came out losers again. We desperately need a home run draft. Oh...and Marvin Lewis and Paul Alexander are still there. So even if we go 11-5, we all know what will follow. Sorry to sound so jaded, but it is what it is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 03:11 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: its a LONG season. Last year started almost exact same way (5-3 in first 8)

True, but last year they were winning by 1-2 runs at this point and they didn't just go 5-1 on the road in St Louis and pittsburgh.  

I love the youth over the tired old retreads and regardless of their offense right now (Votto?  You going to join the party?) their young arms are impressive as hell and they got a lot of them for aging vets.  
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 03:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This year pretty much hinges on Ogbuehi and he is putting in the work according to Jay Glazer.

We have weapons on the Offensive side and we will probably draft another one or two in a TE and a RB.

Bodine is in his last year, we should draft a Center for the future.

The Defense adding an End opposite Dunlap should be very hard to pass the ball on in this pass happy league.

Adding Minter, cutting Maualuga, letting Peko go and having Billings start next to Atkins is extremely exciting to me particularly. Rock On

With you 100%, but I think it was Keith Rivers that worked out with Glazer and we heard how tough he was going to be and...well, we are still waiting on it.

I applaud that he is doing something, and I don't know crap about MMA, but Crossfit can make you feel like a beast and I hope, more than anything, that he improves his confidence. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2017, 10:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You say you're excited about the season and go on to say we likely won't make the playoffs. Not busting your balls or anything, but I just struggle to get very excited unless I think we have a real contender. Like Wyche, I'm excited about the draft and I think the defense will be fine.

It's the offense that has serious question marks (being kind there). I can't get excited about Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher as bookend tackles. Hill/Gio does nothing for me at this point. Eifert is great but is constantly hurt. AJ Green has had his fair share of injuries now. The offense looks like Andy Dalton, glue and duct tape.

Our FA period was predictably boring and we came out losers again. We desperately need a home run draft. Oh...and Marvin Lewis and Paul Alexander are still there. So even if we go 11-5, we all know what will follow. Sorry to sound so jaded, but it is what it is.

No need to apologize for sounding "jaded".  I joke with people that the Bengal's Fans are not diehards, because they would have been dead a long time ago.  They are die-never!  

Your post really illustrated the one key point I hope the Bengals realize going in to the draft:  The offense, by far, needs the most work.  I think if he is there, they take Barnett.  He will be an immediate impact at a position of need, and he has outstanding production at the top conference.  After that, they really need to stock up on weapons and depth for the offensive line.  

Let's face it, they need another receiving threat as a TE (hopefully Jake Butt could be there in the 4th and red shirt a season and be a steal moving forward), a complete RB to rotate with Gio and Hill (Miss my Sexy), a vertical threat to stretch the defense and give an option on end-arounds (Curtis Samuel in the 2nd if they take Barnett in the 1st?) and there is no way in hell I go to camp without a significant threat to Ced to push him at LT.  Make it a player like Forrest Lamp, that could also be an outstanding Guard.  But there is no way I just "hope" he suddenly figures it out.  

That is why I am still holding out hope that AJM can be traded for #33 overall and get that needed competition at LT.  

Regardless, it should be a lot of focus on the offense.  
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I love the youth over the tired old retreads 

Kinda what I'm making the analogy with about the Bengals. Look at how well the Reds are doing with their youth....then in comes re-tread Bronson Arroyo the momentum killer. I think letting Whit, Rey M, Dansby, and Peko go is addition by subtraction. Now if Westerman can take Zeitler's G spot, and keep re-tread Andre Smith on the bench as a backup G, and we can get a good infusion of youth from the draft, I think this team will not only be ok, but will also post a winning season. If not playoffs this year, then definitely next year after getting some experience.

Now get me some Corey Davis to play #2 to AJ Green and I will be happy and even more excited. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: True, but last year they were winning by 1-2 runs at this point and they didn't just go 5-1 on the road in St Louis and pittsburgh.  

I love the youth over the tired old retreads and regardless of their offense right now (Votto?  You going to join the party?) their young arms are impressive as hell and they got a lot of them for aging vets.  

Don't get me wrong SH and Beaker, I am much more excited about this Reds team than last years . I just want to curb my expectations a bit with such a young team. But the difference I notice between them and the Bengals is one's committed to making the roster the best it can be, and the other is half in, half out. Why else would they gut their roster, suffer awful attendance/revenue numbers, and go thru this grueling process in general? The Bengals make me feel like they're in it to win, but maybe not in it to win it all. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: No need to apologize for sounding "jaded".  I joke with people that the Bengal's Fans are not diehards, because they would have been dead a long time ago.  They are die-never!  

Your post really illustrated the one key point I hope the Bengals realize going in to the draft:  The offense, by far, needs the most work.  I think if he is there, they take Barnett.  He will be an immediate impact at a position of need, and he has outstanding production at the top conference.  After that, they really need to stock up on weapons and depth for the offensive line.  

Let's face it, they need another receiving threat as a TE (hopefully Jake Butt could be there in the 4th and red shirt a season and be a steal moving forward), a complete RB to rotate with Gio and Hill (Miss my Sexy), a vertical threat to stretch the defense and give an option on end-arounds (Curtis Samuel in the 2nd if they take Barnett in the 1st?) and there is no way in hell I go to camp without a significant threat to Ced to push him at LT.  Make it a player like Forrest Lamp, that could also be an outstanding Guard.  But there is no way I just "hope" he suddenly figures it out.  

That is why I am still holding out hope that AJM can be traded for #33 overall and get that needed competition at LT.  

Regardless, it should be a lot of focus on the offense.  

Lol...yeah I became a fan in the 90's, so I've seen the worst of times, but never seen even a single playoff win. If I'm dying hard, it's only on the inside. Little by little.  Mellow

I was actually thinking the same thing as I typed that out. This definitely needs to be an offense-focused draft with all the things you mentioned. I was hoping for veteran competition for Ogbuehi, but obviously that's not happening. We need a RB that will be given a real opportunity to win the job. We need more speed all over the place. At TE, I'm torn between continuing to develop Uzomah (he was promising with 25 catches while filling in) and drafting someone else. With Eifert's health, we may have no choice but to bring in another prospect. It's a good TE crop, so we may as well add a body there and cut Kroft, who has been a disappointment.

With the way we ignored free agency, more picks can only help. So I definitely hope Mac gets traded. I'd pick up Fitzpatrick, Gabbert or Austin Davis to backup Dalton. Let whoever comes in compete with Driskell for the gig.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 09:22 AM)Beaker Wrote: Kinda what I'm making the analogy with about the Bengals. Look at how well the Reds are doing with their youth....then in comes re-tread Bronson Arroyo the momentum killer. I think letting Whit, Rey M, Dansby, and Peko go is addition by subtraction. Now if Westerman can take Zeitler's G spot, and keep re-tread Andre Smith on the bench as a backup G, and we can get a good infusion of youth from the draft, I think this team will not only be ok, but will also post a winning season. If not playoffs this year, then definitely next year after getting some experience.

Now get me some Corey Davis to play #2 to AJ Green and I will be happy and even more excited. 

Absolutely.  I loved Whit, but the energy on our team just wasn't there.  That 2005 Bengals team was young and hungry.  I hope the 2017 squad can be like that.  And I am with you 100% on the WR, but I prefer Ross.  The Bengals would likely take Williams (puke) because they like big bodies.

I actually think the first two picks (with no AJ trade) will be Barnett and Curtis Samuel, and I would be happy with that.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Awesome to hear somebody has excitement for next year. Did in 2011 but do not as much this year. 

Too many things are the SAME as past seasons to get excited. I want the team to do really well but Mikey and Marvin,

Too much is the SAME as past seasons to get excited. Mikey, Sad Marvy, Sad and Piano Man Sad still calling' the shots.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 10:04 PM)Derrick Wrote: Too much is the SAME as past seasons to get excited. 

You mean like the fan pessimism?
Reply/Quote
Some of you crack me up. You act as if if they don't get to the playoffs Mike Brown will send a goon squad to your house to kidnap your kids and sell them off into slavery.. 
It's a game, nothing more, nothing less. If they win it all we don't get a prize and a big check just for rooting for them and if they lose and end up in last place you're still not out anything.
Now, do I want them to win? Sure. Will I flip out if they don't? Not at all.
Perhaps some of you ought to reconsider what's actually important and what isn't. My happiness doesn't hinge on the record of this or any other team anymore than the outcome of some movie I haven't seen. It's entertainment, a game to pass the time of day.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2017, 03:39 PM)grampahol Wrote: Some of you crack me up. You act as if if they don't get to the playoffs Mike Brown will send a goon squad to your house to kidnap your kids and sell them off into slavery.. 
It's a game, nothing more, nothing less. If they win it all we don't get a prize and a big check just for rooting for them and if they lose and end up in last place you're still not out anything.
Now, do I want them to win? Sure. Will I flip out if they don't? Not at all.
Perhaps some of you ought to reconsider what's actually important and what isn't. My happiness doesn't hinge on the record of this or any other team anymore than the outcome of some movie I haven't seen. It's entertainment, a game to pass the time of day.  

[Image: greg-daly-on-a-high-horse_o_1813253.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 07:12 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Absolutely.  I loved Whit, but the energy on our team just wasn't there.  That 2005 Bengals team was young and hungry.  I hope the 2017 squad can be like that.  And I am with you 100% on the WR, but I prefer Ross.  The Bengals would likely take Williams (puke) because they like big bodies.

I actually think the first two picks (with no AJ trade) will be Barnett and Curtis Samuel, and I would be happy with that.  

I guess i could live with that. I still think we need a RB more than a WR right now even though i am for Ross at 9.
Reply/Quote