Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I don't stand by anything."
(05-04-2017, 02:13 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: I think it's a situational thing. Im not gonna sit here and act like Trump literally doesn't stand by anything.

What does He stand for?  He was asked if he stood by His statement.  Why did He say He didn't stand by "anything" instead of He didn't stand by His "statement"?  Please explain what He really meant. When Trump said, "I don't stand by anything," do you believe He is a liar?

Quote:Perhaps. But then again Trump didnt seem all that intetested in the conversation to begin with.

When is Trump ever not interested in talking about Trump? Trump is Trump's favorite subject to talk about.
(05-04-2017, 02:13 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Perhaps. But then again Trump didnt seem all that intetested in the conversation to begin with.

I'm surprised by this statement.  In his role as President, it's fair that he has to respond to relevant questions, and this topic doesn't strike me as irrelevant, considering there was an accusation made about a previous President, directly by him relating to a serious concern (spying on a Presidential candidate or President-elect by a sitting President).  When you've directly accused the previous President of something, and the media is asking questions related to that, you must be able to clarify what you've said and/or resolve it with your answer.  If he wasn't interested in this topic, that's too bad as it is part and parcel of his role as President.  Now if Hills, in her current role as "citizen leader of resistance" dismissed a question, I suppose I could give that a pass as it doesn't relate to her duties of public office since she's currently not a public official.  Still it would depend on the seriousness of whatever is the matter.  Hypothetically, a few years ago, an attempt to dismiss a relevant question in her role as SoS, would not lend her a pass from this requirement, anymore than anyone else in public office.  I've been critical of her private server scandal, and an answer such as "I don't stand by" my statement (or "anything"), wouldn't lend her any credence in my view and would seriously lead me to question any credibility on any statement from there on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-04-2017, 02:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What does He stand for?  He was asked if he stood by His statement.  Why did He say He didn't stand by "anything" instead of He didn't stand by His "statement"?  Please explain what He really meant.

When is Trump ever not interested in talking about Trump? Trump is Trump's favorite subject to talk about.

He stood by his statements that he'd win the election, and he did.
(05-04-2017, 02:53 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I'm surprised by this statement.  In his role as President, it's fair that he has to respond to relevant questions, and this topic doesn't strike me as irrelevant, considering there was an accusation made about a previous President, directly by him relating to a serious concern (spying on a Presidential candidate or President-elect by a sitting President).  When you've directly accused the previous President of something, and the media is asking questions related to that, you must be able to clarify what you've said and/or resolve it with your answer.  If he wasn't interested in this topic, that's too bad as it is part and parcel of his role as President.  Now if Hills, in her current role as "citizen leader of resistance" dismissed a question, I suppose I could give that a pass as it doesn't relate to her duties of public office since she's currently not a public official.  Still it would depend on the seriousness of whatever is the matter.  Hypothetically, a few years ago, an attempt to dismiss a relevant question in her role as SoS, would not lend her a pass from this requirement, anymore than anyone else in public office.  I've been critical of her private server scandal, and an answer such as "I don't stand by" my statement (or "anything"), wouldn't lend her any credence in my view and would seriously lead me to question any credibility on any statement from there on.

Surprised why? My statement that he didn't seem interested still stands. Whether it's his duty or not to answer the question is beside the point.

Personally I don't trust much of what any political figure says. I just hope they do what they say they'll do for the benefit of the country.
(05-04-2017, 03:55 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Surprised why? My statement that he didn't seem interested still stands. Whether it's his duty or not to answer the question is beside the point.

Personally I don't trust much of what any political figure says. I just hope they do what they say they'll do for the benefit of the country.

The point isn't to question whether he is interested or not.  It's simply to point out that not being interested in something in which your role implies you be interested, makes it a valid question in the OP.  It's not that I believe he isn't interested, but not being interested is not a defense of any of his statements related to the OP. If your statement was not meant to provide a counterpoint to the post you responded to, it seems out of place. Perhaps you were agreeing with the point, and added a supplemental point?  I wonder if that's the case based on your second line in the quote above.  I.e. you don't trust Trump because he's not being accountable to statements he made, but hope that he will benefit the country, even though he hasn't stood by his word (at least in this case) so far.      
(05-04-2017, 04:12 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: The point isn't to question whether he is interested or not.  It's simply to point out that not being interested in something in which your role implies you be interested, makes it a valid question in the OP.  It's not that I believe he isn't interested, but not being interested is not a defense of any of his statements related to the OP. If your statement was not meant to provide a counterpoint to the post you responded to, it seems out of place. Perhaps you were agreeing with the point, and added a supplemental point?  I wonder if that's the case based on your second line in the quote above.  I.e. you don't trust Trump because he's not being accountable to statements he made, but hope that he will benefit the country, even though he hasn't stood by his word (at least in this case) so far.      

The accusation here is that Trump "doesn't stand by anything". My comment about him not being interested was to point out why he responded the way he did wben he said he "doesn't stand by anything". I believe he misspoke and didn't actually mean it in the way people are perceiving it. He was in a haste to avoid the discussion and got defensive spouting out "I don't stand by anything" as a response.

I feel that is a valid defense for what he said because what he said was said in a hasty uninterested fashion. 
(05-04-2017, 04:59 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: The accusation here is that Trump "doesn't stand by anything". My comment about him not being interested was to point out why he responded the way he did wben he said he "doesn't stand by anything". I believe he misspoke and didn't actually mean it in the way people are perceiving it. He was in a haste to avoid the discussion and got defensive spouting out "I don't stand by anything" as a response.

I feel that is a valid defense for what he said because what he said was said in a hasty uninterested fashion. 

You do understand though that he was "disinterested and hasty" because he either knows he spoke out his arse in the first place OR he doesn't want to run the risk of someone telling him he was wrong though.  I hope at least.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-04-2017, 04:59 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: The accusation here is that Trump "doesn't stand by anything". My comment about him not being interested was to point out why he responded the way he did wben he said he "doesn't stand by anything". I believe he misspoke and didn't actually mean it in the way people are perceiving it. He was in a haste to avoid the discussion and got defensive spouting out "I don't stand by anything" as a response.

It's not an accusation. It's a statement. Trump said it about himself. Unless you believe Trump makes false accusations against Obama and Himself.

Shit, even you are standing by your statement. Something Trump refuses to do.

Hasty and impulsive statements don't shed a good light on his leadership qualities nor do they show an ability to thoroughly think through an issue.  Nor does it show an understanding of the consequences of statements when they're made without consideration.  The fervor with which the initial accusation was made doesn't match dismissive attempts to squelch discussion on that topic now by the media.  At the least, his statements erode away any credibility he may have left with independents taking a wait and see approach.   
(05-04-2017, 12:25 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: It seemed to me that he was avoiding saying something that could further be used against him.

So your theory is that he knew he said something really stupid so in an attempt to keep that stupid statement from being used against him he said something even more stupid?

I can agree 100% with that.
(05-04-2017, 04:59 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: I believe he misspoke and didn't actually mean it in the way people are perceiving it.

How silly to judge a person on what he actually says when instead we can play pretend that he meant something different.

Very convenient in this case since pretending keeps him from looking like an idiot.
Let me say here that even though I did not like George W Bush I did not judge him that harshly for his malaprops or mispronunciations. Same for when Obama said "57 states". In those cases they were just misspeaking.

The things Trump says are different. He says very stupid things without getting tongue tied. In fact many of the stupid comments he makes are typed. He does not have the luxury of claiming he meant to say one thing but some other word came out.
Haha, you could fill a book up with all the dumb ignorant shite Trump says. After one of his low IQ statements, his slave Sean Spicer says he didn't mean that. I say yes he meant it, that is what he said.
(05-04-2017, 03:40 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: He stood by his statements that he'd win the election, and he did.

It's very telling that is the best you could offer. But, I'm not sure you meant it. I think you're just saying that to avoid saying something else which could be used against you.
(05-04-2017, 06:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: PESD was experienced the moment Trump went over 270 Electoral votes; as crisis centers were established and student were encourage to attend support group and being excused from class. It continues to rear its ugly head when people harp on the popular vote, blame Russia for Hillary losing, and pointing to the wrong size pieces of paper in folders.

The point is not whether what triggers a PESD sufferer is true or not; it is why does it trigger them.

There's a current thread on here about Trump saying "I don't stand by anything" when having a heated discussion with a journalist. Did he say them? Yes. Did those that jumped all over them attempt to understand the context in which they were uttered? No. Has anyone here that where triggered by Trump's words  given there opinion on another more public PESD sufferer throwing out homophobic phrases when trying to condemn Trump for these words? No.

I do appreciate that you guys have established your own little PESD support group. I hope you guys can work it out.

I understand exactly the context in which his words were used. Trump tweeted something which was false. He continues to repeat the falsehood as if it were true even during the interview despite a lack of evidence and informed statements from within the US intelligence community. He was asked if he stood by the statement and refused. Trump hasn't stood by his statements on NATO, NAFTA, China, Syria, tariffs,healthcare, immigration, Obama's citizenship, Flynn, Bannon, and the list goes on and on. Not just during his first 100 days. Or his campaign. Or the past decade. But, going back decadessssssssssssss. The man himself doesn't know what he stands for so of course he doesn't stand by anything.

He changes his mind more often than he changes wives. Come to think of it, wives are just one more thing he doesn't stand by. Although, He did stand behind his grab 'em by the ***** comment as just locker room talk. So we have found common ground, He does stand by at least one thing.
Hard to stand by things when you're just all talk.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-04-2017, 08:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Hard to stand by things when you're just all talk.

Well, Matt this thread is two pages long meaning it is twice as large as Trump's tax reform plan.

I think bfine just branded you a jumper on-er.
Pretty sure that the "I don't stand by anything", is simply a New York reply. Have you ever tried to argue with a native New Yorker? They will not allow you to box them in with your context. Probably one of the smarter things that he's ever said.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-04-2017, 09:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pretty sure that the "I don't stand by anything", is simply a New York reply. Have you ever tried to argue with a native New Yorker? They will not allow you to box them in with your context. Probably one of the smarter things that he's ever said.

Agreed.
(05-04-2017, 09:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pretty sure that the "I don't stand by anything", is simply a New York reply.  Have you ever tried to argue with a native New Yorker?  They will not allow you to box them in with your context.  Probably one of the smarter things that he's ever said.

Oh I get it now. You mean like that locker room talk about grabbing woman on their private parts?