Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I dont want a WR in the first round
I once posted a list of all the WRs Marv has drafted outside the first round and it was pretty awful. That and the fact that this draft class is so top heavy at WR is why I'm hoping we target one a 24.

Assuming one of Treadwell, Coleman, Fuller or Doctson is there, of course.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Trade out of the first for a very early 2nd and an extra 3rd and grab a WR in the 2nd
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 11:06 AM)Benton Wrote: I think this may be one of the most split years as far as what fans want.

We need a center, and some want that route. We need a DT, and there will be plenty of top talent guys there. We could use a WR, CB, S, LB... and there will be talent at all those positions.

But the thing that's pretty awesome is people are so split because (in my opinion) this is one of the few years in the last couple decades where you can't point to a position and say "Damn, we're sunk if we don't draft someone there." There's always going to be a vocal few saying we're going to have a rough year if we don't improve a line or get someone in the backfield or whatever, but you can't look at any position and say for sure a rookie is going to come in and improve that spot. There's no consensus "we have to fix" position.

I look forward to the draft every year, but unless we take a tackle or a punter in the first, this may be the first year I just celebrate whoever comes off the board.

If we go into the year with Tate as our #3 WR we are in really bad shape.

The Stoolers will score plenty of points. And I expect the Ravens offense to be a lot better with Mike Wallace, their first round pick from last year healthy, and Steve Smith back on the field. The new cut block rule could make it even harder to run the ball. Leaning to even more of a pass first league.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 10:13 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: The Bengals have had success drafting late round WRs     Chad Johnson and TJ come to mind. Marvin Jones also....

Theres some nasty Safeties we could snag.

I dont like Braxton and I dont like Mike Thomas. I do think the Bengals war room is gonna surprise some people.

PRETTY PLEASE no WR
If you don't want a WR in Round 1, then you don't want a Play-Off Win, or a Super Bowl......We just lost 2 of our top 3 wide receivers in free agency.  We picked up an OK one in free agency, but Bengals are in dire need of a WR in this draft at the top by losing Jones, who they tried to keep.  ......If Bengals, don't draft WR in round 1, then AJ Green will be double teamed all season. Also, what if Green gets injured, injuries happen in the NFL.  You can't put all your eggs in the AJ Green basket......Draft no WR at the top and let Green get double teamed all season, and suddenly Dalton will look awful.  Everybody will be on the Dalton stinks bandwagon again........

The Bengals have no choice....the new offensive coordinator has told them that.......losing both Jones and Sanu forces getting a top WR.......Bengals have no choice......they couldn't keep Jones or Sanu.....They have no choice. 

I'm all for drafting the guy Collinsworth says we should draft.....the fastest player at any position in the draft.....Fuller from Notre Dame.....he has Deion Sanders type elite speed on long bombs or turning dink passes into long gains.  Collinsworth says if we get him and teams try to double cover Green, Fuller will kill them.  That should get AJ Green in more one on one and then Green kills them, or Eifert. ...all that means points and wins.....Fuller is the fastest player in draft, all scouting reports agree. That isn't up for debate. Fuller has amazing elite speed.  You can't teach speed. You can coach up other things. .....I think Super Bowl, Pro Bowl Bengals Collinsworth knows something about WR and Speed, so I'm all for this pick. 

I would be for drafting down to get Fuller, except what if other teams have him on their radar and he is rated higher by teams than some of you think. The draft is like poker, with teams holding hiding their cards.  I say just take Fuller at our pick in round 1 that we already have. .........but we need a WR in Round 1, no matter who that WR pick is. we need a WR in Round 1.  We have no choice now. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:09 PM)kevin Wrote: If you don't want a WR in Round 1, then you don't want a Play-Off Win, or a Super Bowl......We just lost 2 of our top 3 wide receivers in free agency.  We picked up an OK one in free agency, but Bengals are in dire need of a WR in this draft at the top by losing Jones, who they tried to keep.  ......If Bengals, don't draft WR in round 1, then AJ Green will be double teamed all season. Also, what if Green gets injured, injuries happen in the NFL.  You can't put all you eggs in the AJ Green basket......Draft no WR at the top and let Green get double teamed all season, and suddenly Dalton will look awful.  Everybody will be on the Dalton stinks bandwagon again........

The Bengals have no choice....the new offensive coordinator has told them that.......losing both Jones and Sanu forces getting a top WR.......Bengals have no choice......they couldn't keep Jones or Sanu.....They have no choice. 

We need a WR, but it doesn't have to be a first round pick.

We have LaFell and Eifert in addition to Green.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:07 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If we go into the year with Tate as our #3 WR we are in really bad shape.

No we are not.

#3 WR is way down on the list of most important positions on a championship team.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We need a WR, but it doesn't have to be a first round pick.

We have LaFell and Eifert in addition to Green.

LaFell and Eifert and Green gets double teamed......No, we lost 2, we have to replace 2.......we got the free agent, but we NEED the round 1 WR. ....that replaces 2 with 2. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No we are not.

#3 WR is way down on the list of most important positions on a championship team.

If we lose AJ. We are not even a playoff team. If we can add a decent WR this draft that won't necessarily be a death blow.

PFF tells me we ran 3 WR sets over 50% of the time. If we are trotting out a bum 3rd WR we are playing at a disadvantage on over 50% of the offensive snaps.

Our division rivals all have weak secondaries. Why would we not want to take advantage of their weakness? Would seem like the most logical method of gaining an advantage over them.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:29 PM)kevin Wrote: LaFell and Eifert and Green gets double teamed......No, we lost 2, we have to replace 2.......we got the free agent, but we NEED the round 1 WR. ....that replaces 2 with 2. 

(04-27-2016, 02:33 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If we lose AJ. We are not even a playoff team. If we can add a decent WR this draft that won't necessarily be a death blow.

PFF tells me we ran 3 WR sets over 50% of the time. If we are trotting out a bum 3rd WR we are playing at a disadvantage on over 50% of the offensive snaps.

Our division rivals all have weak secondaries. Why would we not want to take advantage of their weakness? Would seem like the most logical method of gaining an advantage over them.

Sorry guys, but Sanu's 33 catches for 394 yards is all we need to replace immediately.  We don't have to use a first round pick for that.

I would not mind if we take a WR in the first, but all this talk about how we are doomed and our offense will collapse if we don't use a first round pick to replace 394 receiving yards is a little over the top.
Reply/Quote
If we don't replace Jones and Sanu with a round 1 pick.....then in the season when everybody on this board is wondering what happened to Dalton, and why is he looking so bad.....and if they put in McCarron and he looks bad also.....and you are all wondering what happened......I'm going to be reminding you that we lost Jones and Sanu and instead of getting a Round 1 WR, the team drafted a position that they were already stocked up well in talent, and did not fill the huge need and void left by these two leaving. ......and that without real quality NFL receivers, of course our QBs look awful.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:43 PM)kevin Wrote: If we don't replace Jones and Sanu with a round 1 pick.....then in the season when everybody on this board is wondering what happened to Dalton, and why is he looking so bad.....and if they put in McCarron and he looks bad also.....and you are all wondering what happened......I'm going to be reminding you that we lost Jones and Sanu and instead of getting a Round 1 WR, the team drafted a position that they were already stocked up well in talent, and did not fill the huge need and void left by these two leaving. ......and that without real quality NFL receivers, of course our QBs look awful.

And if we don't use a first round pick on a WR and our passing game is fine will you come back and admit how wrong you were?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And if we don't use a first round pick on a WR and our passing game is fine will you come back and admit how wrong you were?

YES...I will.....if we don't draft WR, and this team goes play-offs anyway....sure......

I fail to see what position is in more need of help than WR, with both Jones and Sanu leaving. ......We drafted 2 O Linemen early last year. We have been drafting DBs. We have Pro Bowl at DT and a very high paid top D Line. We have QBs. ....OK, I was hoping LB, but that was before losing Jones AND Sanu......I fail to see a position in more need of a #1 pick than WR.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:53 PM)kevin Wrote: YES...I will.....if we don't draft WR, and this team goes play-offs anyway....sure......

I fail to see what position is in more need of help than WR, with both Jones and Sanu leaving. ......We drafted 2 O Linemen early last year. We have been drafting DBs. We have Pro Bowl at DT and a very high paid top D Line. We have QBs. ....OK, I was hoping LB, but that was before losing Jones AND Sanu......I fail to see a position in more need of a #1 pick than WR.

Agree, plus I think Andy is elite only when surrounded by a glutiny of talent around him.

Not a knock on dalton but he isn't an all time great qb. He can raise his game based on talent around him. I think the team realizes that and was part of the reason they were going to pay Marvin jones 8m/year.

If anything that shows how much we value a quality 2nd WR. I do like lafell and think he can be good but he is a 1 year stopgap.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
WR is a need and the top WRs are slotted around our pick. So no, I won't be upset if we take a 1st round WR.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 01:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Trade out of the first for a very early 2nd and an extra 3rd  and grab a WR in the 2nd

agreed if you can drop to early 2nd with an early 3rd you come out of this draft better.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lets add in that it is a passing NFL.  More and more rules against the defense on hard hits is only going to make it more and more of a passing NFL. You better be putting points on the board....We have seen when Steelers and Big Ben have a whole bunch of HEALTHY receivers, it turns into a basketball score. The Bengals best years, even the Super Bowls were when we had a stable of top receivers......Now, the opposite approach and thinking we can get by with Baby Hawk, or maybe now move Burkhead to WR, or suddenly Tate is Great, or receivers we have had in those 4 win seasons that no other team wanted, it doesn't work. ....There is passing in the NFL.  More now than ever due to rule changes. The idea that we can replace Jones and Sanu with Tate and Burkhead doesn't cut it in the NFL.  ......Does anybody deny that it is a passing NFL ?......Does anybody deny that Jones and Sanu had talent ?.......Well then, we better get a good draft pick in here. The Bengals already said after losing these two that their replacements would mostly have to come from the draft. Now the problem with that is, all the scouting reports say the WR talent pool isn't very deep.  After you get past round 1, there really aren't NFL type receivers out there in 2016.  So if we don't take WR in round 1, the receivers in other rounds aren't worth drafting, not this year. That is the problem for a team that has already said they need to replace Jones and Sanu in the draft. .....It is a passing NFL, and you better have top notch WR's, and right now the Bengals don't have enough. The draft could fix that......I also agree with the poster who said Dalton is only as good as the talent you surround him with. He is not an elite QB, but given the right talent, he can win games. ....I see Dalton as not an Otto Graham or Peyton Manning, but as a Bart Starr or Len Dawson type arm that if given enough talented players can win. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry guys, but Sanu's 33 catches for 394 yards is all we need to replace immediately.  We don't have to use a first round pick for that.

I would not mind if we take a WR in the first, but all this talk about how we are doomed and our offense will collapse if we don't use a first round pick to replace 394 receiving yards is a little over the top.

Ummm....we have to replace Marvin Jones more than we do Sanu, unless you believe Brandon LaFell is going to do that, and he came up about 300 yards and 4 TD's short of Lewis's production last year. Actually, I don't think we HAVE to take any one position player in the first round, even a beastly center would be nice, but so too would having two #1 picks at WR, it would make Green better as well; every team has their own Calvin Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, or Julio Jones it would be pretty awesome to have two of them. The way this draft is shaking out, it's hard to say who is the BPA that will fall to us. Then again, I'd really like to know who the Steelers want and pick them in front of them.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 05:55 PM)kevin Wrote: Lets add in that it is a passing NFL.  More and more rules against the defense on hard hits is only going to make it more and more of a passing NFL. You better be putting points on the board....We have seen when Steelers and Big Ben have a whole bunch of HEALTHY receivers, it turns into a basketball score. The Bengals best years, even the Super Bowls were when we had a stable of top receivers......Now, the opposite approach and thinking we can get by with Baby Hawk, or maybe now move Burkhead to WR, or suddenly Tate is Great, or receivers we have had in those 4 win seasons that no other team wanted, it doesn't work. ....There is passing in the NFL.  More now than ever due to rule changes. The idea that we can replace Jones and Sanu with Tate and Burkhead doesn't cut it in the NFL.  ......Does anybody deny that it is a passing NFL ?......Does anybody deny that Jones and Sanu had talent ?.......Well then, we better get a good draft pick in here. The Bengals already said after losing these two that their replacements would mostly have to come from the draft. Now the problem with that is, all the scouting reports say the WR talent pool isn't very deep.  After you get past round 1, there really aren't NFL type receivers out there in 2016.  So if we don't take WR in round 1, the receivers in other rounds aren't worth drafting, not this year. That is the problem for a team that has already said they need to replace Jones and Sanu in the draft. .....It is a passing NFL, and you better have top notch WR's, and right now the Bengals don't have enough. The draft could fix that......I also agree with the poster who said Dalton is only as good as the talent you surround him with. He is not an elite QB, but given the right talent, he can win games. 

How do you know that there aren't going to be any WR's worth drafting outside of the 1st?
What happens if none are picked in the 1st?
There will be WR's out there that can and will be picked outside of the 1st and contribute. We're not replacing AJ Green, we are replacing Jones/Sanu. LaFell helps with that, so all we need is one more in the later rounds and have him play with in his skill set while he develops.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 06:25 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Ummm....we have to replace Marvin Jones more than we do Sanu, unless you believe Brandon LaFell is going to do that, and he came up about 300 yards and 4 TD's short of Lewis's production last year. Actually, I don't think we HAVE to take any one position player in the first round, even a beastly center would be nice, but so too would having two #1 picks at WR, it would make Green better as well; every team has their own Calvin Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, or Julio Jones it would be pretty awesome to have two of them. The way this draft is shaking out, it's hard to say who is the BPA that will fall to us. Then again, I'd really like to know who the Steelers want and pick them in front of them.
LaFell may replace Sanu or Jones, but he doesn't replace both.  Now LaFell and a 1st round pick WR does give us the best chance to get back to play-offs, which is all I care about is winning.  It would be sad if this group from 2011 on never wins a Play-Off game before the team needs completely rebuilt. ....basic math tells you 1 does not equal 2...we need one more, and a good one.  We sure won't get a good one near the end of round 2, not in this years draft. .....but there are positions deep in talent in later rounds, just not WR. .....we can fill other needs after 1. 

Some teams run several Pro Bowl type WRs out there, and if we want play-off wins, we better be trying to do the same.  I can't believe when people say we can get by with Tate, Burkhead and Hewitt.  That is like when the Big Red Machine players were replaced by players like Wayne Krenchicki, same uniforms but not as many wins. Some fans didn't see the difference, which was amazing. .....The more I hear people mention Tate, Burkhead or Hewitt at WR, the more I see a need for a Round 1 Wide Receiver. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 06:25 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Ummm....we have to replace Marvin Jones more than we do Sanu, unless you believe Brandon LaFell is going to do that, and he came up about 300 yards and 4 TD's short of Lewis's production last year.

Don't forget that LaFell missed 5 games last year. So he's got the ability to replace Jones. In a full season, Lafell almost put up 1k yards and 7 td's the year before. Like it or not, that's Jones level.
Reply/Quote