Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I dont want a WR in the first round
So what I'm getting out of this thread is that Fredtoast is dead set on WR in the first round.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 09:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And this is a very smart position.

The draft is much more of a crap shoot than anyone wants to admit.  Even the best teams have first round picks that flop.  The best way to increase your chances of getting a good player is to have the most picks.  It is so hard to really tell which players are better than others it does not make sense to trade away picks.

Exactly. Look at the absolute bounties the Rams and Eagles have given up to acquire the top 2 picks. History has consistently shown this stuff doesn't really work. Heck look at the one time we've done it recently... don't see many people all that high on Bodine.

We've drafted fantastically for 6 or so years now. Give the team as many picks as possible, not fewer.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:09 PM)kevin Wrote: If you don't want a WR in Round 1, then you don't want a Play-Off Win, or a Super Bowl......We just lost 2 of our top 3 wide receivers in free agency.  We picked up an OK one in free agency, but Bengals are in dire need of a WR in this draft at the top by losing Jones, who they tried to keep.  ......If Bengals, don't draft WR in round 1, then AJ Green will be double teamed all season. Also, what if Green gets injured, injuries happen in the NFL.  You can't put all your eggs in the AJ Green basket......Draft no WR at the top and let Green get double teamed all season, and suddenly Dalton will look awful.  Everybody will be on the Dalton stinks bandwagon again........

The Bengals have no choice....the new offensive coordinator has told them that.......losing both Jones and Sanu forces getting a top WR.......Bengals have no choice......they couldn't keep Jones or Sanu.....They have no choice. 

I'm all for drafting the guy Collinsworth says we should draft.....the fastest player at any position in the draft.....Fuller from Notre Dame.....he has Deion Sanders type elite speed on long bombs or turning dink passes into long gains.  Collinsworth says if we get him and teams try to double cover Green, Fuller will kill them.  That should get AJ Green in more one on one and then Green kills them, or Eifert. ...all that means points and wins.....Fuller is the fastest player in draft, all scouting reports agree. That isn't up for debate. Fuller has amazing elite speed.  You can't teach speed. You can coach up other things. .....I think Super Bowl, Pro Bowl Bengals Collinsworth knows something about WR and Speed, so I'm all for this pick. 

I would be for drafting down to get Fuller, except what if other teams have him on their radar and he is rated higher by teams than some of you think. The draft is like poker, with teams holding hiding their cards.  I say just take Fuller at our pick in round 1 that we already have. .........but we need a WR in Round 1, no matter who that WR pick is. we need a WR in Round 1.  We have no choice now. 

I'm all for getting the early WR that can contribute now!!

NOT FULLER, though!!!Just as you said, "all scouts agree" he is the fastest receiver in the draft, "all scouts agree" he has the worst hands out of all the top ten WR candidates!!

The dude can't catch....just as you can't coach natural speed you can't coach hands, either.

The best case scenario for those not wanting a receiver in the first round is to somehow get Sterling Shepard in the second (Pro Football Focus has him as the best receiver in the draft and his play at Oklahoma supports the analysis). 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 07:04 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: I'm all for getting the early WR that can contribute now!!

NOT FULLER, though!!!Just as you said, "all scouts agree" he is the fastest receiver in the draft, "all scouts agree" he has the worst hands out of all the top ten WR candidates!!

The dude can't catch....just as you can't coach natural speed you can't coach hands, either.

The best case scenario for those not wanting a receiver in the first round is to somehow get Sterling Shepard in the second (Pro Football Focus has him as the best receiver in the draft and his play at Oklahoma supports the analysis). 

I like Shepard also but think he won;t be there by 2nd round pick and I don't think we will trade up to grab him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:07 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If we go into the year with Tate as our #3 WR we are in really bad shape.

The Stoolers will score plenty of points. And I expect the Ravens offense to be a lot better with Mike Wallace, their first round pick from last year healthy, and Steve Smith back on the field. The new cut block rule could make it even harder to run the ball. Leaning to even more of a pass first league.

We've got question marks there, but it's not our biggest area of need. Tate would be our third receiver but our fourth option. Maybe even the fifth or sixth depending on Super Mario, the draft and any free agents that might come about. Honestly, a draft pick is going to be behind Lafell, and likely only getting 10-15% of the targets.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 07:56 PM)Benton Wrote: We've got question marks there, but it's not our biggest area of need. Tate would be our third receiver but our fourth option. Maybe even the fifth or sixth depending on Super Mario, the draft and any free agents that might come about. Honestly, a draft pick is going to be behind Lafell, and likely only getting 10-15% of the targets.
I dont know how you can say that. As of now we have a bottom teir WR depth chart in the NFL. It is by far our biggest need.

Over 50% of our offense is 3 WR sets.

LaFell was cut. And from what i saw had no other suitors. In a market that saw Sanu get paid a shitload. And he is coming off of an injury plagued year. He gets injured again and Tate becomes the #2.

A good WR could easily take over for Lafell as the #2. And will be playing over 50% of the snaps even if he doesnt.

LaFell is a one year rental. And the depth of the WR class is horrid. We get one of the top guys and we make life a lot easier for the whole team. We wait and get some of the later round guys and we will be spending more picks to address the issue again next year. LaFell had a couple years with Cam Newton as his #1 WR if I'm not mistaken. And that led to them letting him walk and drafting two early WRs.

For every late round hit like Marvin Jones their is a boatload of Desmon Briscoes, Ryan Whalens, Cobi Hamiltons, etc...

Its not the end of the world if we dont go WR in 1. But ignoring WR in the 1st 2nd and 3rd could be a big problem.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 08:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I dont know how you can say that. As of now we have a bottom teir WR depth chart in the NFL. It is by far our biggest need.

Over 50% of our offense is 3 WR sets.

LaFell was cut. And from what i saw had no other suitors. In a market that saw Sanu get paid a shitload. And he is coming off of an injury plagued year. He gets injured again and Tate becomes the #2.

A good WR could easily take over for Lafell as the #2. And will be playing over 50% of the snaps even if he doesnt.

LaFell is a one year rental. And the depth of the WR class is horrid. We get one of the top guys and we make life a lot easier for the whole team. We wait and get some of the later round guys and we will be spending more picks to address the issue again next year. LaFell had a couple years with Cam Newton as his #1 WR if I'm not mistaken. And that led to them letting him walk and drafting two early WRs.

For every late round hit like Marvin Jones their is a boatload of Desmon Briscoes, Ryan Whalens, Cobi Hamiltons, etc...

Its not the end of the world if we dont go WR in 1. But ignoring WR in the 1st 2nd and 3rd could be a big problem.
There's three guys worth a first round pick. I'll be surprised if any of them are there at our spot.

And I'm ok with that. I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm ok entering the season with what we've got getting the majority of the targets and taking a receiver later to develop for later in the season or next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 08:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Its not the end of the world if we dont go WR in 1. But ignoring WR in the 1st 2nd and 3rd could be a big problem.

I don't think anyone here is saying Ignore the WR position, just not a necessary 1st round pick as some would have you believe.
2nd, 3rd and 4th are perfect rounds to get one.
Reply/Quote
If we don't get a WR in the first, I doubt Micheal Thomas will be there in the second.

After the first, there seems to be a drop off (maybe 2-3 WRs per round after that).

I wouldn't be surprised if we take 2 WRs after the third. More than likely, ones we brought in.

Reply/Quote
Besides, our infactuation with a WR doesn't matter anyway.

LaFell will be number 2 barring injury, no matter what happens during the draft or TC/PreSeason.

Draft is a moot point in regards to WR.

Reply/Quote
I DO want a receiver in the first round. I understand there are other positions that would be nice too and we are always looking for the BPA steal but as a fan I want a receiver.

I actually want two receivers. I want the burner, game breaker, fastest guy on the field receiver and returner that we have wanted for years guy. I want him now.

I also want the 95% of the snaps, can do everything, 10 year, AJ and Andy's best friend, the guy who's name will be mentioned with theirs a la Peyton, Marvin and Reggie or Kurt, Isaac and Tory guy and I want him now too.

I'd love to find one guy who can be both. I think Coleman or Fuller are closer to guy #1 and Doctson and Treadwell are closer to guy #2. I almost view it as two different positions of need, two spots to draft.

Now granted, the combo of Lafell, Wright, Alford, Burkhead and Tate can partially fill those roles but as a fan I'd like to see a high pick added to that mix with the hopes of being one of the guys listed above.

I don't see any other position that has a need such as that. Interior linemen are never sexy picks do as a fan I want the playmaker. Boding is young enough that he may be given another chance, especially after being thrown in as a starter as a rookie. The Peko, Sims, Thompson, Hardiston combo next to Geno is quite a few less snaps than we get from the receivers next to AJ. While we could use an anchor at either position I want the receiver.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 10:45 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Chad Johnson... a late round WR...

k

You know he wasn't a first round pick right?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 09:50 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: You know he wasn't a first round pick right?

He was a 2nd round pick though. Most people don't think of the 2nd as a "late round".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Im onboard with this… Ive been saying all along, why do we need to invest a first round pick in a guy who's maybe a third or fourth option on offense? We just need a guy who is a solid role player, those can easily be found on day 2.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 06:25 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Ummm....we have to replace Marvin Jones more than we do Sanu, unless you believe Brandon LaFell is going to do that, and he came up about 300 yards and 4 TD's short of Lewis's production last year. 

Brandon Lafell had a better season in '14 than Jones ever had in his career.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 10:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brandon Lafell had a better season in '14 than Jones ever had in his career.

Lafell is capable of replacing Jones. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
While I don't think we need to use a first round pick on a WR I think we need to draft more than one.

Our depth at WR is shit.
Reply/Quote
I actually think fuller would be a good choice. His speed and ability to stretch the field is exactly what we need opposite of AJ
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 10:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brandon Lafell had a better season in '14 than Jones ever had in his career.

It was Lafells career year and he was HoFer tom bradys #1 WR. He hasnt topped 677 yards in any other year.

Trust me I hope he does well. But I think his contributions on offense will be about equal to what we got from aj hawk on defense last year.

The pats didnt think he was worth a 2.6mil salary. That concerns me.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 10:32 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I'd only go WR in first if Coleman, Treadwell or Doctson are there... If not.. go BPA..

DT, LB, Center... are positions to look out for..

I will take it a step further.  I would only take Treadwell if we stay at #24.  I think there will be a CB that the Bengals covet and they won't get caught unprepared with Dre Kirk reaching FA next year, and Dennard largely unproved.

My guess is William Jackson III.  There will still be a WR for them in the second, and I will be willing to wager they don't go for a DT before the third round at the earliest....maybe even later.  
Reply/Quote